The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Consumer

A miscellaneous thought/weird philosophical question.....

Why are there a bunch of us that are fans of Disney parks and aerospace? I mean, I know we aren't a HUGE group, but we are more in number than I would expect. I see us on twitter, on this board, and on space places around the web. What is it about these two things that captures us?
I'm not particularly fascinated by aerospace (I prefer ground transportation such as roads, trains, and so forth), but I do enjoy the YouTube channel Mustard, who has high production videos about planes, jets, and such.

CaptinEO

I just watched that SpaceX explosion video a second time. It's had 28 Million views! People get it, and celebrate it.

So why the HECK is SpaceX not a sponsor of something in Tomorrowland? Take over Innoventions or the 3-D Theater and get something going there! Dead, unused space in a theme park that desperately needs more capacity and attractions.

TDA is so clueless now when it comes to corporate sponsorships! They are either incapable of reaching out to corporate America, or their fees and costs are priced way too high. It's likely both. Tomorrowland has always been the perfect place to celebrate Walt Disney's love for the American Free Enterprise system, and SpaceX has an incredible story to tell and is perfect for Tomorrowland in this decade and beyond! HELLO?!? TDA? Burbank? Anyone???

I swear, sometimes I think if we broke in to the executive floor in TDA all we'd find them working on is a big hamster farm. :banghead:

the-office.gif
They could easily have sponsored the dragon, it would be on brand for Space X!

Phroobar

...Y'all realize you're talking about a billionaire's exploding spaceship as if it's a great accomplishment, right?
For what it was designed to do, yes, it is a great accomplishment. It flew and cleared the tower. That is all it had to do. Anything more is icing.

Even explosions give them data to design new systems. It is better now in this stage then when there is human passengers onboard.

PiratesMansion

We still have NASA, right?

Getting rockets into space is a problem solved a long time ago, right?

So celebrating failure for a solved problem doesn't make any sense to me.

Phroobar

This is the largest rocket ever build. It has to ability to launch the equivalent of the ISS Space Station in tonnage all at once. It has never been done before. It is also an older design so it was expendable. NASA will never get the funding for such a thing.

Parteecia

There are those that have a need to denounce success to make their lives feel meaningful. These are huge historic human achievements and should be celebrated. Walt would have been a huge supporter.
Not sure what you mean. If it's that I would "denounce success to make [my life] feel meaningful," I'm not. I acknowledged that I love what SpaceX has accomplished. I do get the feeling that I'm a lot happier than he is.

I'm just saying that he says some stupid, offensive stuff.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Not sure what you mean. If it's that I would "denounce success to make [my life] feel meaningful," I'm not. I acknowledged that I love what SpaceX has accomplished. I do get the feeling that I'm a lot happier than he is.

I'm just saying that he says some stupid, offensive stuff.
Well, he is human. People say dumb things especially under stress. We all do it. It is best to forgive and forget and move on.

Parteecia

Well, he is human. People say dumb things especially under stress. We all do it. It is best to forgive and forget and move on.
I will disagree with you there. He has too much influence, especially now with his Twitter takeover, to be so careless with his remarks. He is not ignorant of that but seems to revel in the reactions.

Also not thrilled with how he treats many of his employees. I know that there are supposed trade offs when you're working with a genius but he really needs to follow labor laws.

Genius though he is, he needs to be held as accountable as anyone else.

Phroobar

Personally, I believe we are better off without social media. The anonymous nature of it brings out the worst in people. Then they get used acting that way in public. Just look how much fighting there is in this silly Disneyland forum. We need to start being civil to one another again and forgive others for their mistakes.

ParkPeeker

he is not a genius, anything remotely resembling that isn't coming from him. He just has lots and lots and lots of money, too much money to lose. Also, no, it's not that he 'says dumb things especially under stress.' Anyone who uses twitter knows that's just him, vain immature dick, saying and doing whatever he wants, empowered by his billions of money and fanboys

Parteecia

he is not a genius, anything remotely resembling that isn't coming from him. He just has lots and lots and lots of money, too much money to lose. Also, no, it's not that he 'says dumb things especially under stress.' Anyone who uses twitter knows that's just him, vain immature dick, saying and doing whatever he wants, empowered by his billions of money and fanboys
I was trying to be generous...

CaptinEO

NASA actually pays them for deliveries to the space stations because paying Space X is cheaper than doing things in house. They are a contractor company.

I'm not a billionaire or Musk fanboy by any means but can appreciate the accomplishments.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom