The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

DrAlice

Starship completely destroyed its launchpad, debris from which then destroyed engines, because it didn’t have flame diverters like other launch pads. That was Elon’s hubris, not something that needed to be learned.
I totally understand this take. However, I'd argue it isn't so much hubris, but an impatience to get flight data NOW so that they can make any necessary modifications to the large number of vehicles piling up at the production site. Their rate of production is amazeballs, and the flight data was lagging behind in comparison. Should they have waited just a couple of more months to finish installing their planned water-cooled-launch-plate-flame-diverter-thingy? Maybe. It's easy to say yes in hindsight, but since we don't have access to all of their "decision tree analysis".... 🤷‍♀️

lazyboy97o

I totally understand this take. However, I'd argue it isn't so much hubris, but an impatience to get flight data NOW so that they can make any necessary modifications to the large number of vehicles piling up at the production site. Their rate of production is amazeballs, and the flight data was lagging behind in comparison. Should they have waited just a couple of more months to finish installing their planned water-cooled-launch-plate-flame-diverter-thingy? Maybe. It's easy to say yes in hindsight, but since we don't have access to all of their "decision tree analysis".... 🤷‍♀️
This impatience as you call it is not unique to this one project.

DrAlice

The goal of that launch was to clear the tower. The vehicle did that and much more. Everything else was additional data collected to improve upon which SpaceX will do. Media and Elon haters going "hur hur, his rocket 'splode" don't know what they're talking about.

Concerning the obliteration of the launch pad itself, it was a known problem that could occur, it did, and SpaceX already has a solution.

View attachment 712057
To be fair, the media and the public have been conditioned to NASA's mode of operations. NASA's stuff can't fail this spectacularly in the public eye or Congress pulls funding. Consequently, they play it safe with hardware that's been used for decades.

I think it is hard for people to wrap their mind around the "new space" mode of operations. Commercial space can really play the "build fast and break stuff" game as long as their investors are happy. The public and the media miss that this wasn't a failure to investors. This was just a prototype. (An outdated one, at that!) This launch proved that SpaceX's crazy idea of a giant steel, built-in-the-dirt rocket can actually fly and survive maxQ! They even got those new engines to work reasonably well on the first go too!

As more commercial space providers come online and share their testing successes and failures with the public, I'm hopeful that people will eventually get it.

DrAlice

This impatience as you call it is not unique to this one project.
You say that like it's a bad thing. That impatience and hardware-rich design philosophy is what got SpaceX to be where they are today and has completely upended the space industry. But that's ok if you don't agree. There are plenty of other space companies with more palatable CEO's to cheer on. :)

Phroobar

Just so we are clear for the MCU geeks.

iu

DrAlice

A miscellaneous thought/weird philosophical question.....

Why are there a bunch of us that are fans of Disney parks and aerospace? I mean, I know we aren't a HUGE group, but we are more in number than I would expect. I see us on twitter, on this board, and on space places around the web. What is it about these two things that captures us?

TP2000

From the front page of the OC Register today, comes this news that the next big batch of layoffs staffing reductions has begun.

No precise word about Anaheim and TDA, but I imagine as people begin to depart TDA and report in on their social media, or no one in TDA gets laid off reduced from staff, we'll know if this second round will hit the parks. The third round of layoffs staffing reductions arrives before July.

It was the last short paragraph in this article that made me chuckle out loud though.🤣 Because....

For years now I've been saying how my pea-sized brain and stunted understanding of the world around me couldn't figure out how Disney+ was making any money for anyone except the megawatt energy providers for the giant server farms. Nice to know there's some folks on Wall Street who have done some of the same cocktail napkin math and come up with some of the same questions as I have about how Disney+ ever makes any real money.

Walt Disney Co. began letting go thousands of employees on Monday in the entertainment giant’s ongoing push to cut about 7,000 jobs this year.

This is the second of what’s expected to be three rounds of cuts, Disney said in a statement. The first reductions to Disney’s 220,000-person workforce came in March. This round, which will last through Thursday, should bring the total positions eliminated to around 4,000, the company said.

Disney’s latest job reductions, which Bloomberg reported last week, are part of Chief Executive Officer Bob Iger’s ambition to save $5.5 billion in annual costs. The company is seeking to pare its commitment to general entertainment and prioritize franchises and well-recognized brands. Disney Entertainment, which houses the company’s non-sports related film and TV businesses, is a focus of the reductions.

Cuts are coming to all of the company’s divisions, stretching from the company headquarters in Burbank, California, to Connecticut, where its ESPN sports networks are based. Hourly workers at the theme parks will not be affected, the company said. The third round should come before the beginning of summer.

Disney is racing to curb losses on its flagship Disney+ streaming service, which debuted in 2019. Wall Street’s attention since then has shifted from subscriber growth to the staggering cost of operating online video platforms.

Phroobar

A miscellaneous thought/weird philosophical question.....

Why are there a bunch of us that are fans of Disney parks and aerospace? I mean, I know we aren't a HUGE group, but we are more in number than I would expect. I see us on twitter, on this board, and on space places around the web. What is it about these two things that captures us?
We love technology and the promise of what it will bring in the future. Space travel was always part of the park experience. Theme parks let you do something that you can't do daily. Aerospace is working to make that happen for everyone.

TP2000

I know people don't like Elon Musk, but the work Space X does is genuinely impressive.

Isn't it incredible?!? I'm addicted to watching those Falcon 9 rockets re-enter and land on their little floating platforms now. I still just sit with my mouth open watching it in amazement. And how many of them exploded before they perfected that process? I'm sure plenty.

I think Elon Musk is the 21st century version of a combination of Thomas Edison and Henry Ford put together, with a dash of Walt Disney on top just for fun and whimsy. He's truly an impressive human, and our country is SO LUCKY to have him on our side!

Elon Musk's SpaceX is going to get the USA back to the moon, (this time with a few women onboard!), and then get us to Mars. Incredible!

To be fair, the media and the public have been conditioned to NASA's mode of operations. NASA's stuff can't fail this spectacularly in the public eye or Congress pulls funding. Consequently, they play it safe with hardware that's been used for decades...

That's a very sharp assessment of the SpaceX model of advancement versus the NASA model that seems stuck in the 1970's. Thank you!

I agree with you wholeheartedly. This is a new era, a new way of doing things, of pushing humankind into the future. SpaceX is truly impressive to watch.

I get a genuine burst of pride and goosebumps when I see the hundreds of SpaceX employees all cheering in their Texas spaceport as their latest new advance happens, and I am just so damn proud of them. And I have no personal reason to be proud because I'm a math dunce and technical numbksull, but I just know how hard they must have worked and how brilliant they must all be to achieve that! It helps that the SpaceX employees all seem so young and happy and full of life! Young men and women who are truly making a difference for humanity, and not wasting their life away in their mom's basement.

God bless every single one of them at SpaceX, from Elon right down to the night custodian cleaning the offices for the next day of hard work! 😍🇺🇸

TELEMMGLPICT000332754407_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqNJjoeBT78QIaYdkJdEY4CnGTJFJS74MYhNY6w3GNbO8.jpeg

You say that like it's a bad thing. That impatience and hardware-rich design philosophy is what got SpaceX to be where they are today and has completely upended the space industry. But that's ok if you don't agree. There are plenty of other space companies with more palatable CEO's to cheer on. :)

I saw the other day that Richard Branson's Virgin Orbit over in the UK finally went into bankruptcy and closed. :oops:

I do wonder how much longer his much-delayed Virgin Galactic operation can hang on? Former Disneyland President, and rather charmless person, Michael Colglazier is in charge of the Virgin Galactic passenger operation. But how much longer can they run a space tourism company by not sending tourists into space?

Last edited:

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
Short trip report (don't wanna start a thread):

Flew in Friday morning, went to DTD Friday night, bowled and dined at Splitsville, went to Disneyland Saturday, then flew home Sunday afternoon.

Stayed at the newer Worldmark on Katella and used the Toy Story buses to get to and from the park. Left the hotel at 8:30am. Got through bag check at the lot in about 10 minutes and the lines to get into the park were short (did Disneyland only), so got into the park around 9am.

We got ourselves Magic Bands because I wanted to try them out first hand. I know most people don't see value in them since phones have to be whipped out to book lightning lanes anyway, but I felt they were useful. Yes, I'm using my phone to book LL, but I'm doing that while standing in line for another attraction. When we actually got to the attractions to redeem them, it was nice just holding up our wrists to the scanner and going right through. Same with entry to the park. While the first time you need to have your pic taken, subsequent times are quick.

Also, yes, they lit up and matched the colors of the buildings being lit up during the fireworks show, but since it would kill your arms to hold them up for 20 minutes straight, most of them are too low to see. I only could see a handful around me....enough to know they were synced. I did notice they vibrated and lit up on a few rides/queues. They lit up in the MMRR queue (in the barn), on the first lift hill for BTMR, while going up the moving walkway exiting HM, and in the exit hallway of BLAB. I feel like 1 or 2 other places, but can't remember.

Crowds were actaully fairly light most of the day. Wait times were fairly reasonable, but we used Genie+ to book major attractions anyway and also to go right on attractions in the evening when the standby lines were 10-15 minutes. We stayed until quarter to midnight. Got on 15 attractions total (did the Falcon twice, the first as pilots and second as engineers....got both coaxiums twice), watched Wondrous Journeys, ate lunch at Carnation and dinner at Harbour Galley (Friend) and Hungry Bear (me), and most of all, got to see a dragon go up in flames.

The primary reason for the trip was to see the new Toon Town. I really liked it and feel it's an improvement. I also liked MMRR much better in person over just seeing videos. It's better when you can feel the wind of the tornado, the vibration of the jackhammer, and the butt-shifting of the last "cha"(s) during the conga. The ride stopped during the scene where the factory switches to outdoors and that let us see the whole thing. It was stop and go from there to the end, most likely do to a back up.

Overall a good (but tiring) trip. Already making plans to go back in November with my parents.

DrAlice

Isn't it incredible?!? I'm addicted to watching those Falcon 9 rockets re-enter and land on their little floating platforms now. I still just sit with my mouth open watching it in amazement. And how many of them exploded before they perfected that process? I'm sure plenty.
Watching a Falcon 9 land just never gets old.

You are right, they blew up quite a few. Here's their celebration of those:

TP2000

Watching a Falcon 9 land just never gets old.

You are right, they blew up quite a few. Here's their celebration of those:

I just love this stuff! And the soundtrack SpaceX chose is hysterically perfect! 🤣 🤣 🤣

That Elon Musk and his entire SpaceX team can embrace the journey of failure and learning and knowledge and new ways of thinking gives me hope for this great country's future! That they can laugh at themselves and the explosions (from a safe distance via video feed) with the rest of us is heart warming and tells me that Elon truly gets it. And he is truly a great leader.

Thomas Edison had many failures along the way. Henry Ford had failures. Walt Disney had failures. William Boeing had failures. Clara Barton had failures. All great entrepreneurs and leaders with a vision have failures and pathways that lead to a dead-end, or even just a route to success that was too long when seen in the rearview mirror years later.

Again I say, thank God that Elon Musk is on our side and the side of the Free World! He needs to inspire as many young Americans to greatness as possible! Back to the Moon, and onward to Mars! 🇺🇸

TP2000

I just watched that SpaceX explosion video a second time. It's had 28 Million views! People get it, and celebrate it.

So why the HECK is SpaceX not a sponsor of something in Tomorrowland? Take over Innoventions or the 3-D Theater and get something going there! Dead, unused space in a theme park that desperately needs more capacity and attractions.

TDA is so clueless now when it comes to corporate sponsorships! They are either incapable of reaching out to corporate America, or their fees and costs are priced way too high. It's likely both. Tomorrowland has always been the perfect place to celebrate Walt Disney's love for the American Free Enterprise system, and SpaceX has an incredible story to tell and is perfect for Tomorrowland in this decade and beyond! HELLO?!? TDA? Burbank? Anyone???

I swear, sometimes I think if we broke in to the executive floor in TDA all we'd find them working on is a big hamster farm. :banghead:

the-office.gif

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom