The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

smooch

I appreciate The Mandalorian if for no other reason than it’s the only show my 5 year old son (and wife) watch together weekly. Reminds me of the good ol days. I call him from his room by saying “there’s a new baby yoda” and he stops what he’s doing and comes to our bedroom.
If I'm home on the weekend I watch the show with my dad and brother and then text my girlfriend about the episode she's watched it with her sister. If I'm visiting my girlfriend for the weekend then I watch it with her and then watch it again with my dad and brother when I get back, I look forward to the weekends because it gives us something to look forward to each week. Especially with this season after each episode I will sit and talk with my dad and explain all the references to the Clone Wars or Rebels shows and it's fun to teach him about all the crazy lore he doesn't know about from only watching the movies + Mandalorian. It's a great show, I have never really heard of someone actually hating the show, it's not some people's cup of tea but I have not seen any true negative reactions like we have seen with the movies.

I'm so excited for the remaining 3 episodes, I know next week might be sort of set up for the big 2 episode finale like last season but I really can't get enough of the world building they do. And I like how each episode feels self contained, I saw someone mention before that each episode feels like an individual episode, but some newer shows just feel like a long 8 hour movie split into episodes that don't have their own individual wrap up and I do agree, each week even with a cliff hanger in the overall story they at least finish off the episode's specific story and lead into next week's topic.

Rich T

I’m sorry, but the ONE concept in the novel “Ready Player Two” that I just cannot buy is the idea that the films of John Hughes will, in the future, have “legions” of dedicated fans willing to devote decades of their lives to recreating Shermer, Illinois in the OASIS.

Rich T

Somehow, every new excerpt I stumble upon from that book is worse than the one before it. It's really quite impressive in a perverse sort of way.
It’s an easy target; there are sooo many paragraphs that are mind-numbing even *in* context. And the ENTIRE first third of the book is all backstory, exposition and setup with ZERO character development. And yet... and yet somehow it’s still mostly entertaining... and when the BIG plot point happens 1/3 in, it’s startling and intriguing and scary and now I gotta finish it! :D

I gotta give Cline credit; somehow he can write stuff like a several-thousand-word level-by-level description of the 80’s videogame Sega Ninja that most readers will just skip past and he still winds up with a (so far) page-turner. :D

Last edited:

BasiltheBatLord

I know I’m late here but I finally got to ride BatB in Tokyo after having remained totally spoiler free up to now.

It is indeed underwhelming. It’s really frustrating how Imagineering seems to be refusing to acknowledge the elements of fear/danger in a lot of these classic movies. It’s all just bright and sunny show tunes.

The classic FL dark rides are so entertaining because they focus on the darker/scarier aspects of the films and put the rider in that experience. Once I saw the huge Beast AA in the preshow I was expecting to see him get all up in my face roaring during a dark and creepy show scene in the forest, but nope. Just show tunes in big warehouse sets with minimal theming.

I think Universal is gonna blow Disney out of the water with Nintendo Land.

The queue was cool though. Too bad there were CMs all throughout making people keep moving preventing you from really looking at in detail.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
I know I’m late here but I finally got to ride BatB in Tokyo after having remained totally spoiler free up to now.

It is indeed underwhelming. It’s really frustrating how Imagineering seems to be refusing to acknowledge the elements of fear/danger in a lot of these classic movies. It’s all just bright and sunny show tunes.

The classic FL dark rides are so entertaining because they focus on the darker/scarier aspects of the films and put the rider in that experience. Once I saw the huge Beast AA in the preshow I was expecting to see him get all up in my face roaring during a dark and creepy show scene in the forest, but nope. Just show tunes in big warehouse sets with minimal theming.

I think Universal is gonna blow Disney out of the water with Nintendo Land.

The queue was cool though. Too bad there were CMs all throughout making people keep moving preventing you from really looking at in detail.

A bajillion dollars spent and we’d all rather just go on Toad. Must be nice to pick up, go to Japan and be at a theme park though. Enjoy!

BasiltheBatLord

A bajillion dollars spent and we’d all rather just go on Toad. Must be nice to pick up, go to Japan and be at a theme park though. Enjoy!
I’ve been living here since March! Have been going to TDR about once a month but think I’m gonna lay off for a while, starting to lose interest. Excited for Nintendo next spring though, was just at USJ last week.

mickEblu

Original Poster
By the way, Amber Heard was the one abusing Johnny.

Well either way this is a good thing for POTC. Of course, it can always get worse. I’ll take all of the Jack Sparrow stuff over the new auction scene and it’s dialogue. The question is would it go back to pre 2006 or would they try some new stuff.

Last edited:

Stevek

I appreciate The Mandalorian if for no other reason than it’s the only show my 5 year old son (and wife) watch together weekly. Reminds me of the good ol days. I call him from his room by saying “there’s a new baby yoda” and he stops what he’s doing and comes to our bedroom.
It's so good. While I don't stay up until midnight to watch, I do get up a bit early Friday AM to view the new episode before starting my work day. Bummed we only have 3 more episodes this season.

#Grogu

truecoat

I’ve been living here since March! Have been going to TDR about once a month but think I’m gonna lay off for a while, starting to lose interest. Excited for Nintendo next spring though, was just at USJ last week.

Yep and the Mario Kart ride looks cool.

Mario Kart.png
AR.png

Mac Tonight

It’s an easy target; there are sooo many paragraphs that are mind-numbing even *in* context. And the ENTIRE first third of the book is all backstory, exposition and setup with ZERO character development. And yet... and yet somehow it’s still mostly entertaining... and when the BIG plot point happens 1/3 in, it’s startling and intriguing and scary and now I gotta finish it! :D

I gotta give Cline credit; somehow he can write stuff like a several-thousand-word level-by-level description of the 80’s videogame Sega Ninja that most readers will just skip past and he still winds up with a (so far) page-turner. :D
I'll give Cline credit for constructing a somewhat original idea in RPO (though I'd consider it derivative of South Park's Imagination Land, and a million other 80's things), but that's about as far as it goes.

Armada was practically unreadable, and RP2 just isn't calling my name right now.

DrAlice

I'll give Cline credit for constructing a somewhat original idea in RPO (though I'd consider it derivative of South Park's Imagination Land, and a million other 80's things), but that's about as far as it goes.

Armada was practically unreadable, and RP2 just isn't calling my name right now.
I enjoyed Armada, but then I'm easily entertained. :D

Mac Tonight

I enjoyed Armada, but then I'm easily entertained. :D
I won't deny it has entertainment value, and by all accounts it falls right in my wheelhouse in terms of overall premise... but I just found it almost impossible to relate to. Like, RPO, it's a story better told visually I think.

I remember reading back in 2015 that Cline had sold the movie rights to Armada, and writers were brought on board in 2018, but nothing has happened beyond that.

Rich T

What if they refurbed Pirates and made it so that Jack is still there, but the dialogue changes back? So instead of the pirates searching for Jack and the treasure, they're just searching for the treasure and unbeknownst to them Jack just so happens to be there searching for the treasure himself? Would that work?
Removing all the stupid “find Sparrow” dialogue would be great. They can start by getting rid of Barbosa and restoring the great original Paul Frees captain lines.

ThemeParkTraveller

This looks awesome. Any word on what kind of speeds we can expect ?

Based on the patented tech and reliance on AR, I'm expecting most of the thrill to be simulated rather than physical.

According to diagrams included in the patent application, ride vehicles would travel down paths with screens on either side, which would play videos to create the illusion of high speed.

PiratesMansion

What if they refurbed Pirates and made it so that Jack is still there, but the dialogue changes back? So instead of the pirates searching for Jack and the treasure, they're just searching for the treasure and unbeknownst to them Jack just so happens to be there searching for the treasure himself? Would that work?
Actually yes.

That would solve most of my issues with what they've done.

You could even leave him there at the end as you're going up the upramp if you change everything else back. The rest of the Jack Sparrows could just be like Small World: there to satisfy the people who simply cannot handle the ride without their beloved character, but otherwise easily ignorable.

Homemade Imagineering

With PotC, I’d definitely say I prefer the PC changes to the attraction over any of the movie references. At least the PC changes aren’t connected to any IP (yet 😉) and I can understand why they were done, even if many here despise them. I personally don’t mind them all too much, but the movie references don’t fit the original 1967 feel of the attraction at all imo.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom