The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

DrAlice

Just started reading “Ready Player Two.” Didn’t realize till just now it had been released.

A few pages in, I thought, “Hang on. This is like the movie “Brainstorm.” But then—same page—the main character acknowledged the movie “Brainstorm,” so it’s okay. 😃
Thank you for this random thought. Adds to Kindle list......

Sharon&Susan

Anyone know the reason was for making America Sings rotate counter clockwise instead of rotating clockwise like COP? Especially when it was allegedly known that it could cause safety problems.

Sharon&Susan

Rumor floating around on RatChat that POTC may currently be under the process of being de-Sparrowed because of Depps alleged abuse of his girlfriend.

Is 2020 slowly turning around?
If they remove Sparrow, I don't see Disney holding off on replacing him with Margot Robbie's character in the Pirates reboot.

Anyway if Pirates is really going under a major refurb right now, I hope to see everything in tip top condition when it reopens with no missing harpsicords or musical trios.

mickEblu

Original Poster
If they remove Sparrow, I don't see Disney holding off on replacing him with Margot Robbie's character in the Pirates reboot.

Anyway if Pirates is really going under a major refurb right now, I hope to see everything in tip top condition when it reopens with no missing harpsicords or musical trios.

I hope the new Margot Robbie just replaced the terrible Redd in the auction scene and that’s it. Have every thing else go back to their pre 2006 glory

Sharon&Susan

I hope the new Margot Robbie just replaced the terrible Redd in the auction scene and that’s it. Have every thing else go back to their pre 2006 glory
They'd probably put her in the barrel too, instead of just using the 90's "Boy Scouts of the Caribbean" version of that scene.

It's be great if they brought back these Pirates added in the 90's (where the Jack Sparrow Treasure Room now is) who also appeared as skeletons further up the lift hill.
1606634442079.png

One of the few Post WED changes to Pirates that really keeps true to the spirit of the ride IMO.

SuddenStorm

Rumor floating around on RatChat that POTC may currently be under the process of being de-Sparrowed because of Depps alleged abuse of his girlfriend.

Is 2020 slowly turning around?

If Disneyland reopens looking the best it ever has, it might help take some of the sting out of the closure. At the very least- they can make sure each railing is perfect and each building facade is beautifully painted. The plants should be in perfect condition. And they can repaint attraction interiors (a fresh coat of paint throughout the Fantasyland dark rides would be amazing). it's a small world was in horrible shape. Minor effects throughout many attractions weren't working.

In the case of Sparrow, I really doubt it's happening- but his integration into the ride was so minor they really could take out each figure and revert to the old dialogue without too much work (though I'm sure it'd somehow be a monumental task for WDI). I'd love for more of the original voice work to be present in the attraction, especially now that the most iconic dialogue from the ride 'We Wants the Redhead' is gone.

In another world I'd expect Splash Mountain to be getting some love right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't receive any maintenance during the closure.

But I also think about how different the rest of the park is gonna be. No entertainment, masks, virtual queues, covid reminder signs everywhere- it's not gonna be going to Disneyland like we're used too- and since it's in Orange County California, not Orange County Florida- it's not gonna be Disneyland like we're used to for a while.

smooch

If Disneyland reopens looking the best it ever has, it might help take some of the sting out of the closure. At the very least- they can make sure each railing is perfect and each building facade is beautifully painted. The plants should be in perfect condition. And they can repaint attraction interiors (a fresh coat of paint throughout the Fantasyland dark rides would be amazing). it's a small world was in horrible shape. Minor effects throughout many attractions weren't working.

In the case of Sparrow, I really doubt it's happening- but his integration into the ride was so minor they really could take out each figure and revert to the old dialogue without too much work (though I'm sure it'd somehow be a monumental task for WDI). I'd love for more of the original voice work to be present in the attraction, especially now that the most iconic dialogue from the ride 'We Wants the Redhead' is gone.

In another world I'd expect Splash Mountain to be getting some love right now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't receive any maintenance during the closure.

But I also think about how different the rest of the park is gonna be. No entertainment, masks, virtual queues, covid reminder signs everywhere- it's not gonna be going to Disneyland like we're used too- and since it's in Orange County California, not Orange County Florida- it's not gonna be Disneyland like we're used to for a while.
If they had never even made the announcement for the PatF retheme but still planned on doing it down the road, do you think they would have done some refurbishments on Splash? The public wouldn't know it was coming but Disney would, but wouldn't it be bad show for them to give the rest of the park love during a closure but not Splash? Or has that ship sailed long ago as the ride has been in this state for quite some time anyways.

And I am worried to see how the entertainment aspect officially will affect the park. Masks I can deal with and COVID signs too, but no entertainment and virtual queues would definitely affect my experience at the parks. I know at WDW they have had the characters ride around in cars down walkways / streets, but I don't see how DLR could do that given the size of these areas. Even with the reduced capacity I feel like there would be so little space on just the sidewalks of Main Street if the cars are taking up the road. Maybe they'll do something like I thought Japan was and have characters set up behind ropes / in areas guests can't access and just wave to characters / let you take a selfie with them in the background behind the rope but not next to you? That's just the walkaround character aspect, I know that actual shows will be gone for a while, but I believe WDW has smaller parades that happen randomly so people don't crowd and wait around for a parade set for a specific time.

As sad as it will be to be discussing those things, I am looking forward to the parks opening in any capacity so we can resume discussion on actual happenings at Disneyland and not just speculation. I am not near the park so the immediate changes won't affect me personally and I don't know when the next time I'll even visit then so I don't know how things will be when I do eventually go, but I will be glad to have conversations about what Disney is doing, how the rides are looking, etc. Even if I have a feeling there will be a lot of negatives in regards to what Disney does, whether it's their fault or due to regulations for COVID.

PiratesMansion

How often have they changed out the attraction posters?

A Jack Sparrow-less POTC would be a gift from the heavens. Paris' POTC in 2015 was in horrid shape, but they hadn't added Jack yet and it was wonderful-and a revelation, as it made clear just how much the addition of Jack altered the ride in a way that I hadn't appreciated before.

But honestly, it's not so much his presence as it is the dialogue that came when he did that I detest.
"CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW!"
"CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW!"
"CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW!"
Blah Blah Blah Reaction GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

"Whenever Poochie's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, 'Where's Poochie?'"

Rich T

ED6B783F-05FE-4C4C-8D7B-1AE5AAC853F5.jpeg

Oh, look. Dubai’s upcoming “John Wick: Open Contract” ride. I’m never complaining about Mission Breakout ever again. By “never” I mean a week.

PiratesMansion

View attachment 516216
Oh, look. Dubai’s upcoming “John Wick: Open Contract” ride. I’m never complaining about Mission Breakout ever again. By “never” I mean a week.
Oh look, that ride that Six Flags has built approximately three million copies of!

But don't worry folks, this one's "themed!"

EDIT: It disturbs me that on their site the option to sort attractions by movie comes before the type of ride or the themed area.
This is such a horrific time in the themed attractions industry.

They're also running the exact same Kung Fu Panda simulator as Universal Hollywood.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

I appreciate The Mandalorian if for no other reason than it’s the only show my 5 year old son (and wife) watch together weekly. Reminds me of the good ol days. I call him from his room by saying “there’s a new baby yoda” and he stops what he’s doing and comes to our bedroom.

It's really delightful to have a show that seems to make everyone happy. It's been a while since Disney's been able to do that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom