The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

George Lucas on a Bench

Just a reminder that most people who worked for Walt Disney, including the Sherman Brothers and the Nine Old Men, have often said Walt could be harsh, insulting, aggravating, egotistical and unwilling to express gratitude or praise for a job well-done.

Still a genius, a visionary and a great leader, but not the perpetually smiling uncle-figure presented on TV.

But did he touch people inappropriately?

Mac Tonight

Just a reminder that most people who worked for Walt Disney, including the Sherman Brothers and the Nine Old Men, have often said Walt could be harsh, insulting, aggravating, egotistical and unwilling to express gratitude or praise for a job well-done.

Still a genius, a visionary and a great leader, but not the perpetually smiling uncle-figure presented on TV.
Call me crazy, but despite all that, I think I'd rather work for Walt than Ellen.

Phroobar

Same. I understand why she was popular during her sitcom years and even see some appeal in her talk show... just not for me.
Her sitcom was funny until the season when her character came out. The ratings tanked because they forgot about the fun Lucy-type situations the character got into and focused on the character's relationship instead. The Universe of Energy's pre show was based on her show. When the show tanked, attendance for the ride did too.

Mac Tonight

Yet all these same people say how well Walt treated them and how inspiring he was to them. I wouldn't confuse work ethic with personality.

The sherman brothers said Walt knew how to make them better all of their work. If Walt was happy with the first draft of every script, or every song, you wouldn't have had the great art that comes from him scrutinizing people's work.
Or how they wouldn't have had the careers they had had Walt not been involved.

Rich T

Yet all these same people say how well Walt treated them and how inspiring he was to them. I wouldn't confuse work ethic with personality.

The sherman brothers said Walt knew how to make them better all of their work. If Walt was happy with the first draft of every script, or every song, you wouldn't have had the great art that comes from him scrutinizing people's work.
Not disagreeing with any of this. My point was just to say that—her staff’s conduct aside—it’s maybe unfair to villify Ellen just because her real life self does not 100% match the way she’s portrayed on her talk show.

Phroobar

Not disagreeing with any of this. My point was just to say that—her staff’s conduct aside—it’s maybe unfair to villify Ellen just because her real life self does not 100% match the way she’s portrayed on her talk show.
People act different between their work life and personal life and virtual life.

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

I think it’s a shame when a talented performer like James Corden or Ellen DeGeneres settles into a daytime talk show host role as their main gig. Sure, I don’t blame them; it’s guaranteed big, big money. But their time hosting amounts to such a pile of disposable, forgettable, instantly outdated content...when they instead might have been appearing in films or stage performances that make far better and more enduring use of their talents.

Ellen is/was great as a host, but her standup and sitcom performances showed she’s capable of a lot more.

Although Dory’s probably already her bit of film immortality.
James Corden is not talented in any way.

Darkbeer1

>>𝘖𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘪𝘯 𝘋𝘪𝘴𝘯𝘦𝘺𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺...
While today’s dream of the future involves self-driving cars, the dream reflected aboard this 1961 Tomorrowland attraction was much simpler: bumper cars, but in space.

The Flying Saucers opened August 6, 1961, allowing Guests to “fly their own flying saucer” atop cushions of air, bumping into nearby saucers and passing beach balls around to other passengers. The attraction closed in 1966, and in 1977, the site became home to the ever-popular Space Mountain.<<

Parteecia

Then we wouldn't have a stitch to wear.

I have a Stitch to wear.
20200806_150333.jpg

1HAPPYGHOSTHOST

>>𝘖𝘯 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘥𝘢𝘺 𝘪𝘯 𝘋𝘪𝘴𝘯𝘦𝘺𝘭𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘩𝘪𝘴𝘵𝘰𝘳𝘺...
While today’s dream of the future involves self-driving cars, the dream reflected aboard this 1961 Tomorrowland attraction was much simpler: bumper cars, but in space.

The Flying Saucers opened August 6, 1961, allowing Guests to “fly their own flying saucer” atop cushions of air, bumping into nearby saucers and passing beach balls around to other passengers. The attraction closed in 1966, and in 1977, the site became home to the ever-popular Space Mountain.<<

still better than Smuggler's Run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom