The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

D

Deleted member 107043

Sometimes it feels as though Disney fans online hate the parks- both the present, and future- I know there are people on Micechat who think the park peaked in the 60's and 70s before Eisner- and I often find myself getting caught up in being critical of everything that happens there. This recent visit helped reinforce my love for Disneyland, and helped remind me that the park is still an amazing place- despite all of management's shortcomings- and the park still has a ways to go before it loses what makes it special.

Thanks for this. I'm kind of immune now to the constant bashing, but I do continue to find myself disillusioned by some of the callus business moves Disney P&R has made in Anaheim recently. I'm hoping that I'll be able to forget all of that when I finally do return to DLR.

Practical Pig

Stopped watching the new Lost in Space on Netflix on Ep. 3 during the flashback showing "Dr. Smith" murdering her twin sister so she could assume her ID and leave Earth. Fine acting all around, but the show is slow, grim and obsessed with blood.

Thanks, Netflix. Thanks a lot. Should've gone with this version of a reboot pitch instead:
View attachment 278269
View attachment 278270

I would pay good money to see that animated reboot if ever made. And I get why a LIS veteran, being one myself, would dislike this version. Buuut ...

In the Netflix reboot, Dr. Smith doesn't necessarily murder her twin sister to steal her ID. The sister is seen in the background awake, tied up, gagged, and very much alive as Dr. Smith leaves the house, leaving unanswered the question of whether she was left to die a long, slow, agonizing death or would be expected to be rescued at any time. As far as leaving us wondering about exactly how sociopathic this new Dr. Smith is, it was, I think, effective.

And If the murderous robot is a sticking point, (and I fully assume you remember that the original robot was originally under Dr. Smith's control with murderous intent) you might want to give Ep. 4: The Robinsons Were Here a shot.

I’m through episode 7, and I’ve been mostly enjoying it. I have a few reservations, mostly about the writing, which has fueled a few eye-rolls. But it’s pushing enough of my LIS nostalgia buttons to keep me watching. I always most enjoyed the first half of the first season of the original series, before Dr. Smith had launched fully into camp mode. I enjoyed the camp-mode afterwards as well, but when it first launched, I was enamored of the family surviving an exotic adventure against the elements quality that had first drawn me to the Swiss Family Robinson novel, which I read many times as a child.

So far this new show is chasing that line of family survival-focused adventure with some mixed success. The Robot integration is both wildly different in detail, and exactly the same in the effect of it’s being an enigmatic wild card of lethal potential, and whose initial loyalties are compromised and questioned. In both the simplistic naivety of the original, and in the direction that the jaded complexity of this remake seems to be heading, Will Robinson is the catalyst for the reaction that turns the murderous robot (“Destroy! Destroy! Destroy!”) into a beloved Robinson Family member. With the insight of hindsight, I think this new production is honing the Will, Dr. Smith and the Robot dynamic in new ways that I find intriguing ... so far.

I like new Penny, who has a sort of Angela Cartwright vibe only with more to do. I like the little nods to the original. I like the new Parker Posey Dr. Smith for several reasons I won’t take time for here, and in this new more naturalistic context, I find her performance already on the edge of relative camp, with loads of potential if that's where this is heading.

And maybe it is. There seems to have been some cryptic rumblings that if the series is renewed as expected, we should expect less geologic activity, and more wild activities, as in the original, however that might manifest. I’ll stay with it awhile longer.

TL;DR: I like the reboot more than @Rich T

Last edited:

Darkbeer1

Busy day, so not much time to post...

But there were plenty of problems at Disneyland in the 1960's and 1970's. A few before Walt died, and many after. To be fair, Walt was spending a lot of time on the Magic Kingdom in Florida and EPCOT, and less focus on Disneyland, and the rest of the team followed suit.

But this was a great highlight of the period.

Practical Pig

But there were plenty of problems at Disneyland in the 1960's and 1970's. A few before Walt died, and many after. To be fair, Walt was spending a lot of time on the Magic Kingdom in Florida and EPCOT, and less focus on Disneyland, and the rest of the team followed suit.

The whole Rocket to the Moon sequence in that vid brought to mind ... I have a very dim (yet also somehow vivid), very early memory of listening a lot to this 1958 vinyl album:

RSTTM1.jpgRSTTM2.jpg

I think it helped warp shape me into the man I am today.

Last edited:

SuddenStorm

Thanks for sharing.

Disneyland has ALWAYS had problems. But as fans, we tend to think the park of our youth was perfect, and ever since has been a progressive decline in quality. I grew up during the Pressler era, but I didn't notice the budget cuts as a kid, and as an adult the quality of maintenance feels like it always has.

SuddenStorm

This is some AMAZING footage of Disneyland in it's infancy. The only official release of it I'm aware of is from the Walt Disney treasures Disneyland set. There's also a version of it with a Leonard Maltin Tony Baxter commentary.

It's a shame that it's only available in 480p. High quality film like this does really well at higher digital resolutions if it is transfered to digital well, and I'd love for Disney to do a 4k uhd + blu ray + digital HD collector's release of this amazing film.

Rich T

I would pay good money to see that animated reboot if ever made. And I get why a LIS veteran, being one myself, would dislike this version. Buuut ...

In the Netflix reboot, Dr. Smith doesn't necessarily murder her twin sister to steal her ID. The sister is seen in the background awake, tied up, gagged, and very much alive as Dr. Smith leaves the house, leaving unanswered the question of whether she was left to die a long, slow, agonizing death or would be expected to be rescued at any time. As far as leaving us wondering about exactly how sociopathic this new Dr. Smith is, it was, I think, effective.

And If the murderous robot is a sticking point, (and I fully assume you remember that the original robot was originally under Dr. Smith's control with murderous intent) you might want to give Ep. 4: The Robinsons Were Here a shot.

I’m through episode 7, and I’ve been mostly enjoying it. I have a few reservations, mostly about the writing, which has fueled a few eye-rolls. But it’s pushing enough of my LIS nostalgia buttons to keep me watching. I always most enjoyed the first half of the first season of the original series, before Dr. Smith had launched fully into camp mode. I enjoyed the camp-mode afterwards as well, but when it first launched, I was enamored of the family surviving an exotic adventure against the elements quality that had first drawn me to the Swiss Family Robinson novel, which I read many times as a child.

So far this new show is chasing that line of family survival-focused adventure with some mixed success. The Robot integration is both wildly different in detail, and exactly the same in the effect of it’s being an enigmatic wild card of lethal potential, and whose initial loyalties are compromised and questioned. In both the simplistic naivety of the original, and in the direction that the jaded complexity of this remake seems to be heading, Will Robinson is the catalyst for the reaction that turns the murderous robot (“Destroy! Destroy! Destroy!”) into a beloved Robinson Family member. With the insight of hindsight, I think this new production is honing the Will, Dr. Smith and the Robot dynamic in new ways that I find intriguing ... so far.

I like new Penny, who has a sort of Angela Cartwright vibe only with more to do. I like the little nods to the original. I like the new Parker Posey Dr. Smith for several reasons I won’t take time for here, and in this new more naturalistic context, I find her performance already on the edge of relative camp, with loads of potential if that's where this is heading.

And maybe it is. There seems to have been some cryptic rumblings that if the series is renewed as expected, we should expect less geologic activity, and more wild activities, as in the original, however that might manifest. I’ll stay with it awhile longer.

TL;DR: I like the reboot more than @Rich T
Thanks: Will give it another shot. The wrist-slitting thing was a temporary deal-breaker for me. Too much. I wish this could be a family show that children could watch with their parents. Scary monsters are a good way to thrill younger viewers and fire up their imaginations. Wrist-slitting not so much.

The Robot... No problem. I wish they'd stuck closer to the original idea, but... okay, let's see where it goes. And I really do like the entire cast. The three kids are great and very believable as siblings. I'll buy some popcorn on the way home from work and give it another try. :)

Curious Constance

I have a friend spending one day at WDW next month and she's trying to figure out where she needs to park and what she needs to do to take the boat to the Magic Kingdom.

Does it run before park opens so she'll be there for rope drop, special place to park or go from parking garage? It's a one day trip before her conference starts.

Thanks!

disneyC97

I have a friend spending one day at WDW next month and she's trying to figure out where she needs to park and what she needs to do to take the boat to the Magic Kingdom.

Does it run before park opens so she'll be there for rope drop, special place to park or go from parking garage? It's a one day trip before her conference starts.

Thanks!
Typically ferry and monorail run from before official opening...at least an hour I believe.
Security is after she parks but before either ferry or monorail entrance.

D

Deleted member 107043

So she'll park in Magic Kingdom parking garage or lot? Then what? Is it a short walk to the ferry?

There's a parking tram, similar to Disneyland's, that takes guests to the Ticket and Transportation Center. From there she can take either the Monorail or Ferry to Magic Kingdom.

Here's an aerial view. Parking lot and T&T Center at the bottom, Magic Kingdom at the top.

Capture.jpg

Travel Junkie

Thanks!

To add to the other responses, park at the Magic Kingdom parking lot. Once you enter WDW property follow the signs for Magic Kingdom. It's well marked which road to follow.

The monorail is cool and all, but take the ferry. The monorail notoriously breaks down and doesn't run the same hours. Last time I was there the monorail opened about 30 minutes before park opening while the ferry was at open least an hour if not earlier before park open. Once you get to the front of the parking lot it's easy to find either the ferry or monorail entrance. If you do use the monorail the express goes directly to the Magic Kingdom and back while the resort monorail stops at all the hotels around the lagoon.

They used to hold everyone in front of the train station prior to park opening, but now they let you walk down main st all the way to the castle. There is a opening show in front of the castle. The biggest gathering however will probably be the to the right side of the castle. That's the entrance to Fantasyland and the mine train that everyone runs to first.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom