The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I'm a rope-drop-to-after-closing guy. Vacations are *not* for resting! :D

At a minute to park closing, I love to get on one of the very last Pirates boats and then 20 minutes later walk out through a closed and darkened NOS and Adventureland. :)
Yes! Nothing better than finishing up the night on Pirates at closing and walking through the nearly empty park towards Main St.

dweezil78

I largely agree with those assessments.
Unfortunately I tend to be a night-owl and will always prefer to do a reverse rope drop and stay until park closing.
I've been able to knock out Pirates, Haunted, and Indy in under half an hour before, simply by staying later. Also, getting to the parks later in the day means much less time dealing with heat and sun.

I'd way rather be there for night and out of the sun, but if that's the plan, I lower my expectations on how much I can get done. While sometimes you can luck out and hit a bunch in the last hours, there are definitely some nights where the park is bangin right until close. A good early start (especially at 8am), however, is almost always a guarantee you can do some serious damage before lunch!

Like others here, when possible, I'm totally down to be there from open to close and get best of both worlds. Sadly, that's not always the case for those joining me! :(

SuddenStorm

World of Color needs a complete overhaul, with a new show designer. Davison has run his course, and I'd love to see someone that's willing to move beyond the "project a Disney animated film greatest hits clip show on water or buildings" approach to show making.

World of Color isn't nearly as amazing as it could be, and neither is the upgraded Fantasmic. Disneyland Forever was impressive because of the projections, not because of show content.

Today's Disney shows are essentially designed around the technology- instead of designing a show and using the best technology to bring that show to life.

Rich T

Miscellaneous Thought: World of Color needs way more emphasis on the synchronization of water fountains to music and far less on projections. I can't be the only person who feels this way.
It needs to do the unexpected, and incorporate live actors. It should get the audience tapping their toes to the music. WoC right now is one of the most robotic-feeling, soulless shows I've ever seen. Pretty isn't everything.

drizgirl

It needs to do the unexpected, and incorporate live actors. It should get the audience tapping their toes to the music. WoC right now is one of the most robotic-feeling, soulless shows I've ever seen. Pretty isn't everything.
Not gonna happen. Disney is all about decreasing labor costs, not increasing them. If they could find a way to take the actors out of all their other live shows, they'd be all over it.

Rich T

Not gonna happen. Disney is all about decreasing labor costs, not increasing them. If they could find a way to take the actors out of all their other live shows, they'd be all over it.
Just wishful thinking on my part; I know part of WoC's Color's goal was to be exactly what it is: devoid of all "costly" humanity. On the other hand, they're willing to pay the bill for something like "Frozen" live (which, as you said, I'm sure they'd be happy to replace with fountains and film clips if they could.)

D.Silentu

I'm not sure it needs live actors, but you raise great points in that it needs a central character to drive the narrative. That being said, there should also be a narrative to drive!

It needs to do the unexpected...

This, I feel, is the other missing ingredient. For years we've seen animation projected on water in Fantasmic. For years we've seen amazing fountain displays, set to music, at the Bellagio. The burden was on Disney to take these concepts further and show us what we haven't seen before.

George Lucas on a Bench

World of Color needs a complete overhaul, with a new show designer. Davison has run his course, and I'd love to see someone that's willing to move beyond the "project a Disney animated film greatest hits clip show on water or buildings" approach to show making.

World of Color isn't nearly as amazing as it could be, and neither is the upgraded Fantasmic. Disneyland Forever was impressive because of the projections, not because of show content.

Today's Disney shows are essentially designed around the technology- instead of designing a show and using the best technology to bring that show to life.

giphy.gif

disnyfan89

I'm not sure it needs live actors, but you raise great points in that it needs a central character to drive the narrative. That being said, there should also be a narrative to drive!

There was. His name was Squirt (or something like that) and he was a mischievous water droplet/fountain but was cut from the show when Iger viewed the Original WoC before its depute and ordered the show to be restructured/changed.

shortstop

I’ve akways thought it would be cool if they did projections with more depth instead of just on a flat screen of water. The Buzz/Zurg segment comes to mind.

surfsupdon

As an East Coaster, the biggest smile I had at Dland was a Friday night big band dance at Fantasy Faire with locals of all ages. I discovered that locals will come here as their night out and dance. It was at first heartwarming to see, and then great to be a part of. Charming.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Coco is a great Movie. Top 3 Pixar for sure. When I left the theatre I thought it was only good. After watching it a couple more times with my son it has really grown on me. It has a lot of heart, great score and songs. The Land of the dead would make for an awesome dark ride. If they add a Coco dark ride to Pixar Pier all will be forgiven.

Rich T

When other studios really make you appreciate Disney's meet n' greet costumes...
Ferdinandcostume.jpg

BTW, finally saw the movie last night on iTunes: Much better than I was expecting. For what it is (a pop culture-filled, padded-out retelling of the children's book with lots of slapstick, chases and smart-aleck sidekicks), it's sweet, touching, beautifully animated and contains a few truly imaginative set-pieces like a Looney-Tunes-ish escape from a slaughterhouse and the climatic bull fight, which really was brilliantly done. Definitely tied with Peanuts as my favorite Blue Sky film.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom