The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Mac Tonight

DL at capacity!!!!

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 12.16.32 PM.png

TROR

I just picked up the complete collection of Han Christian Andersen's fairy tales and am reading through The Snow Queen. I have to say, I absolutely love this story so far. It's so charming and great. I wish Frozen was a faithful adaptation.

SuddenStorm

I just picked up the complete collection of Han Christian Andersen's fairy tales and am reading through The Snow Queen. I have to say, I absolutely love this story so far. It's so charming and great. I wish Frozen was a faithful adaptation.

I firmly believe Frozen will be largely irrelevant in 20-30 years. It doesn't feel like it has that timeless 'spark' that the Disney Renaissance, or Golden age had.

Rich T

There’s a much more faithful animated film of The Snow Queen from the 50’s. It’s a Russian production and it’s a bit of a drag to sit through. There has never been a successful faithful feature film adaptation of an Andersen or Grimm story because that’s just not the medium they were created for. Disney’s entire road to success was built upon adapting fairy tales and children’s books into narratives the American GP would enjoy.

Disney got a lot of flack for the animated version of Alice in Wonderland, but—despite its flaws—it remains the best film version. There have been many, many attempts to make a faithful Alice film, and not one has succeeded, because the original 2 books just aren’t written in a film-friendly structure.

Re: Frozen, I’m glad they just went ahead and changed the title. I don’t even really consider it a Snow Queen adaptation. I think it’s a solid, fun, silly movie that broke new ground in its own way... but it’s not The Snow Queen.
(Edit)
Any more than The Lion King is Hamlet.

Last edited:

Rich T

I firmly believe Frozen will be largely irrelevant in 20-30 years. It doesn't feel like it has that timeless 'spark' that the Disney Renaissance, or Golden age had.
I gotta disagree. Frozen was so huge it permanently effected the course of U.S. family entertainment and has become a major part of the childhood of an entire generation. A future President will be humming “Let It Go” in the Oval Office.

Frozen gets a lot of undeserved hate. Take away Disney’s hype/synergy/merchandising machine and you’ve got a solid, fun entertaining fairy tale for today’s audiences. It’s got five likable hero characters (four if you can’t stand Olaf). It’s got one of the best-directed musical numbers ever put on film. It’s got a twist that “subverts expectations” the right way. And it ends not with a wedding, but with two sisters reunited and a kingdom welcoming their new queen. Sure, the plot doesn’t stand up to any kind of scrutiny, but the same can be said of any Disney fairy tale. I’m not a huge Frozen fan, but I like it a lot and can certainly see why the public embraced it. Its flaws pale in comparison to what it gets right.

The only way Disney’s going to drop Frozen out of the A-List roster is if a better, more profitable princess animated film happens in the next 2O years. And I wouldn’t bet on that happening.

What I’M dreading is the inevitable live action remake that I predict will be announced before the end of 2020.

Last edited:

Rich T

I asked a cast member how long it had been like that at around 11:20 yesterday, she said since she got there at 8 am.
Wow. Still, for an 8 AM opening, I’d be in line at bagcheck at 6:30 AM (or the parking garage if I was still a local)...at the latest. Sounds nuts to a lot of people, but if they can get up before dawn to buy a microwave on Black Friday, they can do the same for DL. Sleep is for sissies! 😃

SuddenStorm

Wow. Still, for an 8 AM opening, I’d be in line at bagcheck at 6:30 AM (or the parking garage if I was still a local)...at the latest. Sounds nuts to a lot of people, but if they can get up before dawn to buy a microwave on Black Friday, they can do the same for DL. Sleep is for sissies! 😃

Yep! I usually pull into Mickey and Friends before it's open, and am one of the first through security and at the main gate.

The other mistake these people made is going through the Harbor check... which is far and away the slowest during peak times.

BrianLo

It has a big generation though, obsessed with it at some point, that will feel nostalgia for it in 20-30 years as adults. We might not feel the same, but I can't imagine it is less than a Toy Story equivalent.

Especially if they drop another sequel in 7-10 years, which sort of feels inevitable.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom