The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Phroobar

It was also amazing how how much they used Carrie Fisher in TROS. She had a lot of lines within the half hour of the movie. I assume they rotoscoped her in to different scenes and dubbed her voice. She sounded stronger than she did in TFA.

Good use of cg for young Luke and Leia. Very sad to see Carrie walk away in the arms of her daughter Billie Lourd.

Last edited:

Communicora

Premium Member
I put on the little first order cap* I picked up in Batuu and went to see Star Wars today (had to skip it on Thursday because I was under the weather). I really enjoyed it and, happily, wasn't as spoiled as I thought I was. It was a satisfying ending to the trilogy.

*regardless of allegiances, you have to admit the baddies always dress better than the good guys

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I put on the little first order cap* I picked up in Batuu and went to see Star Wars today (had to skip it on Thursday because I was under the weather). I really enjoyed it and, happily, wasn't as spoiled as I thought I was. It was a satisfying ending to the trilogy.

*regardless of allegiances, you have to admit the baddies always dress better than the good guys

Travel Junkie

Funny thing about fans: They’re the ones who buy the merch and pay to see the films multiple times.

TLJ had a Cinemascore of A, was a hit with critics, and did $1.3 Billion worldwide. It has plenty of fans. Yes, Disney (more specifically JJ) chose to go back to the safe route than try and expand the universe. Relying on nostalgia only goes so far and does nothing to bring in new fans. TROS flopped in China where there is no nostalgia for the films.

This is Star Wars, not Saving Private Ryan.

I find this an interesting comment from you considering the passion in which post about Star Wars. You are correct. Star Wars has always been a soap opera in space. The plot lines have always been pretty out there and the occasional cringeworthy dialogue dates back to the beginning.
What the OT has that they have never been able to replicate is the character development. That is what created the fandom to begin with. The Disney films look great, but are heavy on action and constant jumping around. They do not take the time to let the audience get to know these characters. Rey is the only one that I would say has complexity to her among the newer Disney created characters. JJ relied heavily on nostalgia in both films he helmed. There are very few memorable moments that involve new characters.

waltography

The new Star Tours scenes are FANTASTIC! Might be a little influenced be the fact I got to ride with my son for the first time. But for me this was the best version since the original Star Tours. Some nice movement and great visuals.
Don't totally agree with what you said re: GE, but I totally agree with this! C3PO's commentary felt especially poignant in this ride, like he was commenting on every single ride we'd gone on instead of just this latest version. It's wild.

Rich T

I find this an interesting comment from you considering the passion in which post about Star Wars. You are correct. Star Wars has always been a soap opera in space. The plot lines have always been pretty out there and the occasional cringeworthy dialogue dates back to the beginning.
What the OT has that they have never been able to replicate is the character development. That is what created the fandom to begin with. The Disney films look great, but are heavy on action and constant jumping around. They do not take the time to let the audience get to know these characters. Rey is the only one that I would say has complexity to her among the newer Disney created characters. JJ relied heavily on nostalgia in both films he helmed. There are very few memorable moments that involve new characters.
For me it comes down to this: Disney bought SW because it had a huge fan base. And now they’re making noises about how future non-Skywalker films won’t have to deal with the “baggage” of the fandom. What. The. Eff. Disney. Can you imagine Warner Bros. buying the Harry Potter rights and then complaining that the Potter fans were a hindrance? Or...Wow, the Walt Disney Company could make great such great animated films if it weren’t for all those pesky Disney animation fans getting in the way!

I was hopeful after TFA. Like everyone, I let the unoriginality slide because we knew Disney HAD to play it safe with its first film. And Rey, Finn and Poe were fun, likeable characters.

But then it turns out Disney had no plan for the trilogy’s direction, they hired a director who put his own ego above 7 films worth of world building, and it all turned into a huge mess.

Mind-blowing. You don’t buy the Lego company and then decide to make Lincoln Logs because the new manager wants to subvert the whole Lego concept. And then call the disappointed Lego fans crybabies. And then panic when the “crybabies” aren’t buying Lincoln Log T-shirts.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

TROR

For me it comes down to this: Disney bought SW because it had a huge fan base. And now they’re making noises about how future non-Skywalker films won’t have to deal with the “baggage” of the fandom. What. The. Eff. Disney. Can you imagine Warner Bros. buying the Harry Potter rights and then complaining that the Potter fans were a hindrance? Or...Wow, the Walt Disney Company could make great such great animated films if it weren’t for all those pesky Disney animation fans getting in the way!

I was hopeful after TFA. Like everyone, I let the unoriginality slide because we knew Disney HAD to play it safe with its first film. And Rey, Finn and Poe were fun, likeable characters.

But then it turns out Disney had no plan for the trilogy’s direction, they hired a director who put his own ego above 7 films worth of world building, and it all turned into a huge mess.

Mind-blowing. You don’t buy the Lego company and then decide to make Lincoln Logs because the new manager wants to subvert the whole Lego concept. And then call the disappointed Lego fans crybabies. And then panic when the “crybabies” aren’t buying Lincoln Log T-shirts.
How did he do that? By giving Luke depth? By doing something interesting with Snoke? By developing Kylo and Rey as characters? By introducing new plot points like a siege on a fleet? By showing a different side of Star Wars with a wealthy planet that ultimately taught Poe and Finn lessons?

Rich T

How did he do that? By giving Luke depth? By doing something interesting with Snoke? By developing Kylo and Rey as characters? By introducing new plot points like a siege on a fleet? By showing a different side of Star Wars with a wealthy planet that ultimately taught Poe and Finn lessons?
Nothing you mention worked for me. If you enjoyed it, that’s great. Keep standing up for it.

mickEblu

Original Poster

I have a review coming later to explain why I think the sequel trilogy is better than the original.

lazyboy97o

By removing the war... He instantly made the First Order vastly more powerful than the Empire ever was at its height.

Rich T

TLJ had a Cinemascore of A, was a hit with critics, and did $1.3 Billion worldwide. It has plenty of fans. Yes, Disney (more specifically JJ) chose to go back to the safe route than try and expand the universe. Relying on nostalgia only goes so far and does nothing to bring in new fans. TROS flopped in China where there is no nostalgia for the films.
I'm not denying TLJ has fans. I'm just saying that the gargantuan, money-gobbling Walt Disney Company did not make a huge course-"correction" toward hardcore SW fandom between Eps 8 & 9 for no reason.

Rich T

Cool if it didn't work for you, but back up your claim that it disrespected the previous seven films.
For me, the entire handling of Luke's character and the shrugging off of so many of the plot threads created in TFA were the work of a director more interested in his own vision than in keeping a trilogy moving through its arc. I'm not blaming Johnson for this; there are people who could have told him "No," but that didn't happen and he made the movie he wanted to make. Space cows and Leia Poppins. :D

lazyboy97o

What part of The Last Jedi did that?
The entire main plot where they were stuck without any hope of assistance. Multiple times it is stated that even in the Outer Rim nobody is willing to help the Resistance. The Empire never controlled the Outer Rim Territories. That is why Obi-wan Kenobi was able to hide on Tatooine, the rebels had a bases on Dantooine, Yavin IV and Hoth, and Cloud City was not under Imperial control. Even Core Worlds like Alderaan were known for a lack of support. It took the Emperor two decades after declaring the Empire to finally dissolve the Senate. The Last Jedi takes places days after The Force Awakens and in that time the First Order goes from a fringe group that the New Republic ignores as a non-issue to the unquestably most powerful entity the Galaxy has ever seen.

This issue of the sudden dominance of the First Order is part of the problem with Galaxy’s Edge being such a joyless place. Until The Last Jedi, the Outer Rim Territories were wild, anarchic places outside the control of the Republic or Empire. It’s the exciting place where rebels, outlaws, smugglers and bounty hunters all hide out, drink and gamble away from oppression. Batuu was one of those places until it suddenly caved to the First Order.

TROR

For me, the entire handling of Luke's character and the shrugging off of so many of the plot threads created in TFA were the work of a director more interested in his own vision than in keeping a trilogy moving through its arc. I'm not blaming Johnson for this; there are people who could have told him "No," but that didn't happen and he made the movie he wanted to make. Space cows and Leia Poppins. :D
What threads weren't followed?

The entire main plot where they were stuck without any hope of assistance. Multiple times it is stated that even in the Outer Rim nobody is willing to help the Resistance. The Empire never controlled the Outer Rim Territories. That is why Obi-wan Kenobi was able to hide on Tatooine, the rebels had a base on Dantooine and Cloud City was not under Imperial control. Even Core Worlds like Alderaan were known for a lack of support. It took the Emperor two decades after declaring the Empire to finally dissolve the Senate. The Last Jedi takes places days after The Force Awakens and in that time the First Order goes from a fringe group that the New Republic ignores as a non-issue to the unquestably most powerful entity the Galaxy has ever seen.

This issue of the sudden dominance of the First Order is part of the problem with Galaxy’s Edge being such a joyless place. Until The Last Jedi, the Outer Rim Territories were wild, anarchic places outside the control of the Republic or Empire. It’s the exciting place where rebels, outlaws, smugglers and bounty hunters all hide out, drink and gamble away from oppression. Batuu was one of those places until it suddenly caved to the First Order.
This is the most interesting and unique take on The Last Jedi. I applaud you for actually thinking critically. Though I don't find the same offense as you do, you're certainly right about the implications of the movie.

Rich T

What threads weren't followed?
Let me rephrase that: weren't followed in a way I (or many, including apparently Abrams and much of the cast) wanted to see them followed:
Snoke. Rey's Training. Rey and Finn. Luke's Real Reason for traveling to the first Jedi temple. I'd also say "Rey's parents," but apparently that's been handled in Ep. 9, so now (SPOILERS) I guess Palpatine wins in the end because his blood line not only survives, but takes over the Skywalker name.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom