The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

waltography

I'm highly considering flying down MLK weekend for RotR's opening weekend, but part of me's terrified of the crowds and the APs; reserved the days on my pass just in case, though!

Rich T

That's no surprise. Cats is, IMO, the most baffling musical hit of all time. That it was once the longest running show on Broadway is lunacy and seems to be proof that no one went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.

For the uninitiated: there is no plot. Cat A sings a song about themselves. Then Cat B does. And so on. Other cats join in and sing, dance, etc. but that's it. Then eventually "Memory" is sung. Something something "Memory" cat comes back at the end. The end.

We were on a cruise two summers ago and they were hyping up that they were the first cruise ship to show "Cats" at sea. My mother and I, having seen the show, tastefully declined the invite when the rest of my family went to see it. They were baffled and (as seemed to be common with most people who saw it) left at intermission.

I cannot imagine someone walking into the movie theater in 2019, having never seen the show before, and coming out a fan. It may turn out to be a hit, but I cannot imagine that most people have seen or thought about it recently, or that most people will walk out of the theater feeling like they made a good decision to see it.
As a fan of T.S. Eliot’s cat poems, I’ve enjoyed the songs from Cats (Webber did a great job of setting the poems to music), but I’ve never seen the actual show live, for the very reasons you mention. Then I watched the DVD of the stage show and... yeah, it gets repetitive quickly! From day 1 though, I’ve thought it could make a great animated film IF they came up with an actual story— too bad Spielberg couldn’t make that work.

It sounds like the new movie made a few good choices in narrative (a new main newcomer character and a story arc for Mistofelees) but... pass. I’ll catch it on cable.

I was listening to samples of the movie soundtrack on iTunes last night (kinda liking the percussion-heavy updates to the music) and my (real) cat kicked half the contents of her litter box across the room. I guess that’s her review! 😃

Last edited:

Travel Junkie

If you take out a loud vocal minority of angry fanboys, TLJ was well received. Even with its flaws, it was quality. Counter that with Rise of Skywalker which I found dull from a story perspective. It looks great visually, but lacks substance. A lot of fan service done and really the best moments are pure nostalgia. If you have seen the trailers and know how a typical Star Wars saga story goes, you can pretty much figure out what happens.

TROR

Maybe the movies didn't, but Disney marketing and merchandise sure as hell did.
Marketing isn’t there to tell the truth, it’s there to get people in seats.

After sleeping on it, I definitely dislike Rise of Skywalker more than I did after seeing it. it just felt very underdeveloped in its storytelling. The stakes never felt high enough, the characters were often not given enough to do. It’s a hard movie to be invested in. The way it panders to Star Wars fans and TLJ critics instead of being a real movie is certainly a hinderance. I do like its general idea more than The Force Awakens, but I also like The Phantom Menace more than The Rise of Skywalker, but I like The Force Awakens more than The Phantom Menace. It’s such a weird movie I can’t rank it or put it anywhere or develop strong opinions on it. I’m not angry with it because I’m a grown man, but it’s not very good, I suppose. I’m not clamoring to see it in theaters again but if I get a chance to I will.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Had to do it

16E44ECF-A01D-4E5D-828A-CA2020956DB8.jpeg
AC80ADBC-147C-4B57-8612-93689597EA36.jpeg

mickEblu

Original Poster
The new Star Tours scenes are FANTASTIC! Might be a little influenced be the fact I got to ride with my son for the first time. But for me this was the best version since the original Star Tours. Some nice movement and great visuals. It would be criminal to get rid of Star Tours just because of GE/ Smugglers Run. There’s more charm, humor and fun in that one acre Attraction than the entirety of GE. Not to mention it feels like Star Wars.

SuddenStorm

The new Star Tours scenes are FANTASTIC! Might be a little influenced be the fact I got to ride with my son for the first time. But for me this was the best version since the original Star Tours. Some nice movement and great visuals. It would be criminal to get rid of Star Tours just because of GE/ Smugglers Run. There’s more charm, humor and fun in that one acre Attraction than the entirety of GE. Not to mention it feels like Star Wars.

I'm going to ride it tonight! Are the new scenes locked into every ride?

Rich T

Probably never. They never had a cohesive story to tell, and it shows. Two weak Disney SW films were enough for me: I’m done. Given the choice between RoS and Cats, I’d take the seasick crocodile.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Has anybody else here seen The Rise of Skywalker?
whole discussion going on for it in this thread

socalifornian

Probably never. They never had a cohesive story to tell, and it shows. Two weak Disney SW films were enough for me: I’m done. Given the choice between RoS and Cats, I’d take the seasick crocodile.
This movie felt more canon appropriate than 8 if that helps, I understand tho. Kind of borrowed from the blacklisted EU too. I saw something recently where JJ originally had Luke floating and surrounded by rocks at the end of 7, but Rian requested that it be changed because of his 8 script. They really should’ve just had him do all 3 since Lucasfilm never seemed to step in with a master plan. I know Mark Hamill has confirmed the lack of one, I’ve heard Daisy has too

Phroobar

I enjoyed TROS. I liked it because the three characters mostly stayed together and it was original. It did borrow from the legends stories which I like alot. I still think Disney should have made the Thrawn Trilogy or Dark Empire instead but it was satisfying to this guy that saw the first showing of TESB in the theater back in the day. I think I saw ANH the second day. I do like the new Force power and how they used it. Rose was kept to a bare minimum and Finn wasn't as annoying. I enjoyed it more than TFA because it wasn't a retelling of a previous movie.

Rich T

If you take out a loud vocal minority of angry fanboys, TLJ was well received...
Here’s the thing (as others have pointed out): Disney would never have attempted to make EP 9 more fan-friendly because of the opinion of a “small vocal minority.” The backlash (and apathy) clearly was big enough to have an impact on Disney’s bottom line. Funny thing about fans: They’re the ones who buy the merch and pay to see the films multiple times. This is Star Wars, not Saving Private Ryan.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom