The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Phroobar

I want someone to walk into the theater during TROS and say:

quote-where-the-hell-are-the-singing-cats-paul-newman-56-41-79.jpg

TROR

Just rewatched The Last Jedi for the first time in over a year. Forgot how great a movie it really is. There's a few silly things that I don't care for and I don't enjoy Holdo's flawed leadership (especially how she condemns Poe for having destroyed the Dreadnaught considering if he hadn't the Dreadnaught would've followed them through hyperspace and obliterated the fleet) or Rose's stupidity, but the only actual problem I have with the movie is the epilogue. The film should end on the shot of everybody on the Falcon, beaten but hopeful, and not the stable boy. It's not necessary and it's too disjointed from the main story to work. Other than that, absolutely brilliant film.

smooch

Just rewatched The Last Jedi for the first time in over a year. Forgot how great a movie it really is. There's a few silly things that I don't care for and I don't enjoy Holdo's flawed leadership (especially how she condemns Poe for having destroyed the Dreadnaught considering if he hadn't the Dreadnaught would've followed them through hyperspace and obliterated the fleet) or Rose's stupidity, but the only actual problem I have with the movie is the epilogue. The film should end on the shot of everybody on the Falcon, beaten but hopeful, and not the stable boy. It's not necessary and it's too disjointed from the main story to work. Other than that, absolutely brilliant film.

I think Rey and Kylo's story in the movie was fantastic. I still don't like what they did to Luke Skywalker as a character and I think Rose is a bad character. If the movie cut out the Canto Bight (I have no clue how to spell that correctly and don't want to google it at work) sequence and expanded more on Rey going to the dark side and her whole attempt to turn Kylo to the good side, I would have enjoyed it a lot more.

BasiltheBatLord

I also rewatched TLJ the other day, for the first time since I saw it in theaters. It's difficult to critique because the film itself is quite well made, especially visually. The problem is that when you actually get underneath the surface the movie is broken because of so many poor plot decisions.

- Luke is out of character
- Yoda is out of character
- Finn, Rose and the Canto Blight plotline were completely pointless
- Killing Snoke so soon was a weird and stupid move (not sure if RoS fixes this or not, don't tell me if it does)
- Certain important scenes that make no sense (Leia surviving and flying through space like Superman, Rose's nonsense about how love will save everyone)
- Captain Phasma is yet again completely unutilized and disappointing.
- Rey's parents reveal was a huge let down (not sure if RoS fixes this or not, don't tell me if it does)
- Rey is still a Mary Sue character for seemingly no in-universe reason. (not sure if RoS fixes this or not, don't tell me if it does)

smooch

I also rewatched TLJ the other day, for the first time since I saw it in theaters. It's difficult to critique because the film itself is quite well made, especially visually. The problem is that when you actually get underneath the surface the movie is broken because of so many poor plot decisions.

- Killing Snoke so soon was a weird and stupid move (not sure if RoS fixes this or not)
- Certain important scenes that make no sense (Leia surviving and flying through space like Superman, Rose's nonsense about how love will save everyone)

Agree with every point. Yoda wasn't as off character as Luke but he was still a little off. Snoke being killed so quickly with no development was just disappointing, I hoped they would explain who he was or at least showed his power as her was set up to be to Kylo as the Emperor was to Vader, but then they just sliced him in half and never mentioned it. It's one of the many things that shows how disconnected each movie is from each other, everything that was set up at the end of the first movie was just thrown out the window for no good reason and it was really disorienting.

TROR

- Killing Snoke so soon was a weird and stupid move (not sure if RoS fixes this or not, don't tell me if it does)
- Rey's parents reveal was a huge let down (not sure if RoS fixes this or not, don't tell me if it does)
- Rey is still a Mary Sue character for seemingly no in-universe reason. (not sure if RoS fixes this or not, don't tell me if it does)
The problem with these complaints is they're all based on your expectations and preconceptions of Star Wars, not what the movies say. Phasma was a let down because you built her up, not because the movies did. Luke was out of character because you had a different idea of Luke and not the one The Force Awakens set up.

PiratesMansion

Speaking of Cats...It is doing AWFUL!

That's no surprise. Cats is, IMO, the most baffling musical hit of all time. That it was once the longest running show on Broadway is lunacy and seems to be proof that no one went broke underestimating the taste of the American public.

For the uninitiated: there is no plot. Cat A sings a song about themselves. Then Cat B does. And so on. Other cats join in and sing, dance, etc. but that's it. Then eventually "Memory" is sung. Something something "Memory" cat comes back at the end. The end.

We were on a cruise two summers ago and they were hyping up that they were the first cruise ship to show "Cats" at sea. My mother and I, having seen the show, tastefully declined the invite when the rest of my family went to see it. They were baffled and (as seemed to be common with most people who saw it) left at intermission.

I cannot imagine someone walking into the movie theater in 2019, having never seen the show before, and coming out a fan. It may turn out to be a hit, but I cannot imagine that most people have seen or thought about it recently, or that most people will walk out of the theater feeling like they made a good decision to see it.

Rich T

The Last Jedi was part 2 of a trilogy with no plan, no logic, and no respect for Lucas’s work. I’m gonna take the money I woulda spent on TROS and buy Peppermint Bark.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Sorry but Last Jedi is a complete piece of Bantha Poodo

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

Agree with every point. Yoda wasn't as off character as Luke but he was still a little off. Snoke being killed so quickly with no development was just disappointing, I hoped they would explain who he was or at least showed his power as her was set up to be to Kylo as the Emperor was to Vader, but then they just sliced him in half and never mentioned it. It's one of the many things that shows how disconnected each movie is from each other, everything that was set up at the end of the first movie was just thrown out the window for no good reason and it was really disorienting.
Yoda was totally off. He was acting as fake crazy Yoda when he was testling Luke in Emprie. He was acting like the face Yoda was wearing when testing Luke instead of being how Yoda was in Empire, Jedi, Phantom, Attack, Sith. He was goofy again for no reason. and the puppet looked off too. Like ghost Yoda got a face lift.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

The problem with these complaints is they're all based on your expectations and preconceptions of Star Wars, not what the movies say. Phasma was a let down because you built her up, not because the movies did. Luke was out of character because you had a different idea of Luke and not the one The Force Awakens set up.
wrong. disney built her up when they released her toys during that FORCE FRIDAY before FORCE AWAKENS was released. that and the actress talked about her big role and how a little girl said she was an inspiration to her and wanted to dress up as Phasma for halloween because of her role in the film. Phasma was hyped to be the next Boba Fett.

lazyboy97o

wrong. disney built her up when they released her toys during that FORCE FRIDAY before FORCE AWAKENS was released. that and the actress talked about her big role and how a little girl said she was an inspiration to her and wanted to dress up as Phasma for halloween because of her role in the film. Phasma was hyped to be the next Boba Fett.
How was she not Boba Fett? She showed up for a bit part and then was killed.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

How was she not Boba Fett? She showed up for a bit part and then was killed.
Because Star Wars didn't say Boba Fett was badass. After EMPIRE everyone liked the Boba Fett characther due to the outfit and the mystery of him. Here Disney tried to re-create it but made it seem the characther had a much bigger role. They failed.

TROR

That movie was frikkin weird. It was so strange and so dumb, I liked it. Official ranking of the Sequel Trilogy: The Last Jedi > The Rise of Skywalker > The Force Awakens

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

That movie was frikkin weird. It was so strange and so dumb, I liked it. Official ranking of the Sequel Trilogy: The Last Jedi > The Rise of Skywalker > The Force Awakens
please don't award disney's lack of creativity with a positive review. please hold them to a higher standard for a beloveded franchise.

THE 1HAPPY HAUNT

I don't care. You know you can't call me a shill. I just don't cry like a baby over some dumb blockbuster. I'll always have Return of the Jedi and that's really the only Star Wars I'll ever need.
fair enough. I keep reading from everyone, even schills it is bad and a lot of it does not make sense and characters are constantly going from one place to another with no real purpose. that true?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom