The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Rich T

Seems the decision to throw out TLJ has both irked fans of that movie, while still not winning over its detractors.

Nobody gets what they want. Everybody loses. Merry Christmas everyone!
It’s mind-blowing that Disney bought the keys to one of the biggest franchises of all time and then decided that the fans who made it popular in the first place weren’t important. And then deciding “subverting” (trashing) everything was a good plan. “Hey, let’s do a Mickey Mouse movie next— But this time he’s a corrupt politician!”

mickEblu

Original Poster
“Hey, let’s do a Mickey Mouse movie next— But this time he’s a corrupt politician!”

Oh no. Spoiler? Now I’m thinking Luke Skywalker or Rey turn to the dark side. Please tell me this saga and/or big reveal didn’t get ruined for me 2 days before the movie comes out on the “Miscellaneous Thought Thread.”

Or Kylo goes good. Technically he’s a Skywalker too.

Last edited:

Rich T

Oh no. Spoiler? Now I’m thinking Luke Skywalker or Rey turn to the dark side. Please tell me this saga and/or big reveal didn’t get ruined for me 2 days before the movie comes out on the “Miscellaneous Thought Thread.”

Or Kylo goes good. Technically he’s a Skywalker too.
No spoiler worries: Just a random comparison based on my dislike of how they treated the Luke Skywalker character in TLJ.... and the entire ”Let’s subvert everything and make it the opposite of what fans want!” approach of that film.
(Edit)
Disney would never let a director “subvert” and intentionally alienate fans with a Frozen sequel or a Marvel film. Why did they let SW get so derailed?

Last edited:

Phroobar

No spoiler worries: Just a random comparison based on my dislike of how they treated the Luke Skywalker character in TLJ.... and the entire ”Let’s subvert everything and make it the opposite of what fans want!” approach of that film.
(Edit)
Disney would never let a director “subvert” and intentionally alienate fans with a Frozen sequel or a Marvel film. Why did they let SW get so derailed?
I still support the theory that TLJ was all a bad dream and this movie will pick up right after TFA. It also proves that Disney had no clue where they were going when they planned this trilogy. You would think they would have written some kind of flowchart or storyboard for all three movies before they started.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I still support the theory that TLJ was all a bad dream and this movie will pick up right after TFA. It also proves that Disney had no clue where they were going when they planned this trilogy. You would think they would have written some kind of flowchart or storyboard for all three movies before they started.

It’s the DCA of movie trilogies

Rich T

I wonder if Bob’s cancelling his Forbes subscription...
F9BA8A01-6BC1-400B-B2A0-EC33B14D0D65.jpeg

SuddenStorm

I wonder if Bob’s cancelling his Forbes subscription...
View attachment 434848

Uh-oh. I have Dolby Cinema tickets for Monday, so I'll be avoiding actually reading any reviews until after that... but I'm more curious how the middling reaction to this film and TLJ will impact Galaxy's Edge long term relevance, since it's placed between 8 and 9.

It's almost like Rise of the Resistance is irrelevant before it's even open. I wonder how hard it is to reskin a Kylo animatronic into Vader?

Rich T

Rewatching one of my very favorites on D+: Blackbeard’s Ghost, which is so wonderfully, thoroughly 1968 Disney in every way imaginable—An amazing blend of the fantastical (pirate ghost and curses) and the mundane (college track team!)

And it suddenly became clear how ahead of its time this movie was: Peter Ustinov plays Blackbeard very much like an older, overweight Jack Sparrow! This film has the original mold-breaking comedic pirate portrayal!

TROR

All the negative reviews have never made me more excited for a Star Wars movie. I really think I'm going to love this one. My favorite films of the trilogy is always the one that's most despised (The Phantom Menace, Return of the Jedi, and The Last Jedi). It's not to be a contrarian, it just seems that everyone has different expectations for a Star Wars movie than I do.

smooch

All the negative reviews have never made me more excited for a Star Wars movie. I really think I'm going to love this one. My favorite films of the trilogy is always the one that's most despised (The Phantom Menace, Return of the Jedi, and The Last Jedi). It's not to be a contrarian, it just seems that everyone has different expectations for a Star Wars movie than I do.

I'm going tonight at 10:15 PM, I am excited to hear your opinion when you hear it. I have been re watching all the Star Wars movies over the past few days to get ready for tonight and that means I watched the prequels probably for the first time since I was a small child around the time of their releases, and I will say the prequels didn't bother me as much as I always thought they would. The CGI, while still inferior to using practical effects and such, isn't too offensive to me while watching. I know they did mix a lot of CGI with practical effects, but the only things were scenes that seemed to be full CGI. Even if I am disappointed in TROS, which I'm hoping I'm not, I'm glad it inspired me to go back and watch all the movies, I usually only watch the OT so it has been fun. I am basic and my favorite is A New Hope but I honestly enjoy pretty much anything Star Wars. Darth Vader has always been the coolest character to me and I started reading the Vader comic series and it is a very good read so far.

mickEblu

Original Poster
After watching all of the Star Wars movies back to back over the last few weeks (except TLJ which I still have to watch before Saturday) the order of my Top 3 Star Wars movies has changed. A New Hope is #1. Followed by (hot take) Force Awakens at #2, then Empire Strikes Back at #3. But I could even put Revenge of the Sith at #3. Empire was previously #1 for me. Force Awakens is really entertaining (as it follows all the story beats of a New Hope) but with modern bells and whistles and some beautiful cinematography. The Rey/ Finn escape from Jakuu is exhilarating. The Han death scene is really well done and the light saber battle between Kylo Ren and Rey is gorgeous. I don’t know, if it wasn’t for some nostalgia and original movie bias I might even have Force Awakens at #1. It’s easily the most entertaining Star Wars movie from start to finish.

smooch

After watching all of the Star Wars movies back to back over the last few weeks (except TLJ which I still have to watch before Saturday) the order of my Top 3 Star Wars movies has changed. A New Hope is #1. Followed by (hot take) Force Awakens at #2, then Empire Strikes Back at #3. But I could even put Revenge of the Sith at #3. Empire was previously #1 for me. Force Awakens is really entertaining (as it follows all the story beats of a New Hope) but with modern bells and whistles and some beautiful cinematography. The Rey/ Finn escape from Jakuu is exhilarating. The Han death scene is really well done and the light saber battle between Kylo Ren and Rey is gorgeous. I don’t know, if it wasn’t for some nostalgia and original movie bias I might even have Force Awakens at #1. It’s easily the most entertaining Star Wars movie from start to finish.

I almost agree completely, I just think Empire should be #2 and Force Awakens would be #3 in my personal list. For the same reasons you said, Force Awakens follows the formula of A New Hope but with updated effects and such. Some people criticize it for this but it makes it really enjoyable for me to watch. After work I still need to watch Force Awakens and TLJ to finish off my marathon before tonight, so I am looking forward to getting to re watch one good movie tonight at least.

Phroobar

The family and I are going tomorrow morning at 10am. I like going to matinees for these type of movies because you have the theater to yourself. I'm not expecting a lot out of this movie. I wish Disney went the Thrawn Trilogy or Dark Empire Trilogy instead. I just wish J.J. had some kind of plan for an overall story arch for this trilogy. Then again I liked anthology movies better anyway. Finn and Rose need to die.

smooch

The family and I are going tomorrow morning at 10am. I like going to matinees for these type of movies because you have the theater to yourself. I'm not expecting a lot out of this movie. I wish Disney went the Thrawn Trilogy or Dark Empire Trilogy instead. I just wish J.J. had some kind of plan for an overall story arch for this trilogy. Then again I liked anthology movies better anyway. Finn and Rose need to die.

Finn should have died in TLJ with his heroic sacrifice into the laser battering ram thing. It's like Han Solo in the OT, he should have sacrificed himself and been trapped in the carbonite forever to save the gang from Vader. They're just too scared to actually kill off main characters on the good side.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom