The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Suspirian

Since Disney is pretty much deadset on copying the Universal model and I've given up on them doing anything original I'm gunna lean into it and request an Alien Ride. No use in letting those Fox properties go to waste just cause they skew a little more adult!

Phroobar

Since Disney is pretty much deadset on copying the Universal model and I've given up on them doing anything original I'm gunna lean into it and request an Alien Ride. No use in letting those Fox properties go to waste just cause they skew a little more adult!
All the Disney Moms would never allow it.

We had two. Alien Encounter was suppose to be based off Alien originally. The Great Movie Ride of course had it's Alien section.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
All the Disney Moms would never allow it.

We had two. Alien Encounter was suppose to be based off Alien originally. The Great Movie Ride of course had it's Alien section.
We live in a different era than when Disney tried it the first time with AE. So those same "Disney Moms" that were against it the first time are either Grandparents or even Great Grandparents by now.

I think as more of the younger generations grows up with the Fox properties being under Disney many will come to accept them being in the Parks as well, including Aliens.

mickEblu

Original Poster
We live in a different era than when Disney tried it the first time with AE. So those same "Disney Moms" that were against it the first time are either Grandparents or even Great Grandparents by now.

I think as more of the younger generations grows up with the Fox properties being under Disney many will come to accept them being in the Parks as well, including Aliens.

How dark they go with Villains land might be a good indication. If Deadpool is doing story hour, I can see the possibility of an Aliens presence in the parks one day but it would probably be at DHS or DCA. Definitely don’t see it in the castle parks.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
How dark they go with Villains land might be a good indication. If Deadpool is doing story hour, I can see the possibility of an Aliens presence in the parks one day but it would probably be at DHS or DCA. Definitely don’t see it in the castle parks.
Exactly, I don't think Disney is shying away from the more "adult" elements in the Parks anymore. As the demographics have changed and so have audience tastes in what they want in the Parks.

PiratesMansion

I think an Alien ride could work in Hollywood Studios if properly done.

I mean, they had a scene for 30 years, why not a full ride?

Or Disney could use it to anchor its inevitable upcoming attempts to break into the $1000/person escape room market.

Figments Friend

Wanted to share these with everyone here in my favorite Forum.

These were unearthed recently, and are too fun not to be seen.

Those who worked at WDI probably remember when artist John H o r n y used to make humorous ‘timesheet art’ and pass it around to coworkers for laughs.

The guy had a real talent for capturing the times and offering some spot on commentary.
He could have been a great political cartoonist!

Amazingly, these still hold up well today with all the current drama that has been happening in the Walt Disney Company.
He even predicted way back in 1999 the proposed move to Florida to ‘kill Imagineering’ as shown below in image #2…!

Here are some examples of his wacky work.
Enjoy!

IMG_4314.jpeg
IMG_4315.jpeg
IMG_4311.jpeg
IMG_4312.jpeg
IMG_4313.jpeg

Rich T

Exactly, I don't think Disney is shying away from the more "adult" elements in the Parks anymore.
Excluding alcohol sales, I’ll believe it when I see it. I’ll believe in Villains Land when it goes vertical; hoping it does, and before the decade is over.

But, when it comes down to it, lack of adult thrills is not Disney’s current problem. They have the family market, and it’s theirs to lose.

The problems at WDW, IMO, are pricing, lack of capacity, upcharge schemes, not enough TLC, lack of originality, and recent garbage-level storytelling that are combining to make the park experience far less inspiring and satisfying than it’s been in the past.

They don’t need coasters, especially at MK, that push g-forces beyond the family-thrill level, especially at the expense of more family attractions. They don’t need anything more frightening than Haunted Mansion. Dystopian futures and Lovecraft-like horrors are not what Disney is about.

They just need return to being great at what they once did so well.

Let Universal be great at being Universal. Let Disney be great again at being Disney. If either tries to be too much like the other, we all end up with two resorts with identity problems.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Excluding alcohol sales, I’ll believe it when I see it. I’ll believe in Villains Land when it goes vertical; hoping it does, and before the decade is over.

But, when it comes down to it, lack of adult thrills is not Disney’s current problem. They have the family market, and it’s theirs to lose.

The problems at WDW, IMO, are pricing, lack of capacity, upcharge schemes, not enough TLC, lack of originality, and recent garbage-level storytelling that are combining to make the park experience far less inspiring and satisfying than it’s been in the past.

They don’t need coasters, especially at MK, that push g-forces beyond the family-thrill level, especially at the expense of more family attractions. They don’t need anything more frightening than Haunted Mansion. Dystopian futures and Lovecraft-like horrors are not what WDW is about.

They just need return to being great at what they once did so well.

Let Universal be great at being Universal. Let Disney be great again at being Disney. If either tries to be too much like the other, we all end up with two resorts with identity problems.
Not sure why the focus on MK in your response to me as I was talking about Disney Parks in general, but understand your point-of-view. But in general I don't see Disney moving away from the "teen/adult" thrills at their Parks for new experiences, even at MK. While yes they will continue to create the family experiences, as they always have, they will also create more "teen/adult" experience too. We can see that for example with some of the Marvel experiences coming to the Parks like Stark's Flight Lab which is more of a "teen/adult" thrill experience. Disney doesn't have to give up on having those type of experiences in the Parks just because they traditionally were more "family friendly" in the past. They can be, and should be, in 2024 and beyond able to cater to all markets as consumer tastes change.

Rich T

…Disney doesn't have to give up on having those type of experiences in the Parks just because they traditionally were more "family friendly" in the past. They can be, and should be, in 2024 and beyond able to cater to all markets as consumer tastes change.
I disagree a bit. They cannot and should not cater to *all* markets. No one should, unless they want to be a more generic, no identity, all-encompassing content provider like Netflix or Comcast.

No one wants Disney hosting a graphically gory Halloween party. No one wants to see them making obvious attempts to be like Universal. Especially if those attempts come at the cost of building more of the family-friendly content people flock to Disney parks to experience.

Again, I really believe their only issue right now is that they are not providing the “Disney” experience as well as they once did, and that includes the ridiculous unnecessary softening and dumbing-down of existing attractions, making them less fun and adventurous.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I disagree a bit. They cannot and should not cater to *all* markets. No one should, unless they want to be a more generic, no identity, all-encompassing content provider like Netflix or Comcast.

No one wants Disney hosting a graphically gory Halloween party. No one wants to see them making obvious attempts to be like Universal. Especially if those attempts come at the cost of building more of the family-friendly content people flock to Disney parks to experience.

Again, I really believe their only issue right now is that they are not providing the “Disney” experience as well as they once did, and that includes the ridiculous unnecessary softening and dumbing-down of existing attractions, making them less fun and adventurous.
I would disagree on the "no one" wants that stuff as I'm sure there are many that would want those type of experiences. I've seen discussions over the years, not here but other sites, that many wish that Disney would have a more adult "haunt" style event during Halloween in addition to the "not-so-scary" events. Also didn't one of the Asian parks used to have a more tame version of a "haunt" style event at one time, or am I confusing that with another one of their Halloween events?

I would also add they need to change with consumer tastes otherwise they can be seen as old and outdated, and lose consumers that way. So if tastes have changed and skew more adult, then that is a market they should certainly cater to as well.

We can get into the semantics of what they need overall, as we all think they need a bunch of stuff, but that wasn't the overall conversation that was started. Which was leaning into the more adult experiences using Fox IP, like create a new take on Alien Encounter using the actual Aliens franchise.

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
IMO, after seeing Snow White's Scary Adventure turn into Snow White's Enchanted Wish, and how TBA was sterilized to the point of absolutely no tension or darker moments, I just don't see current management putting an Alien attraction in Disneyland at this point in time.

Consumer

Alien is too adult for Disneyland. I always found its inclusion in GMR bizarre. Even Alien Encounter, while 95% great, did take it a bit too far over the line in its original iteration. Its fantastic set design, characters, and concept are what propelled it to being so well remembered.

Indiana Jones Adventure and Tower of Terror are the kind of attraction that walks the line perfectly. No blood or gore, but still haunting imagery and creepy atmosphere that might frighten a child. The Halloween mazes found at Hong Kong go far beyond what is acceptable at Disney parks.

TP2000

Wanted to share these with everyone here in my favorite Forum.

These were unearthed recently, and are too fun not to be seen.

Those who worked at WDI probably remember when artist John H o r n y used to make humorous ‘timesheet art’ and pass it around to coworkers for laughs.

The guy had a real talent for capturing the times and offering some spot on commentary.
He could have been a great political cartoonist!

Amazingly, these still hold up well today with all the current drama that has been happening in the Walt Disney Company.
He even predicted way back in 1999 the proposed move to Florida to ‘kill Imagineering’ as shown below in image #2…!

Here are some examples of his wacky work.
Enjoy!

View attachment 810722View attachment 810723View attachment 810724View attachment 810725View attachment 810726

Those are INCREDIBLE! And like you say, so deviously insightful and a bit prescient for their time. I'd never seen this before, thank you so much for sharing!

It reminds me that after a few busy weeks of being sociable for/with friends and family, I have some time to relax again and do whatever I want. But with the weather in the West turning unseasonably cool for late August in the long-range forecast, I'll likely pack it in early and drive home by Labor Day instead of doing a Disneyland visit. I already snagged court times this weekend when it will barely be 72 in San Diego, and then after that... I've got autumn travels to plan for, and can take the September flights out of Las Vegas instead of Lindbergh Field.

That "Imagineering Historical Timeline" that leads right to 2024 in the artwork above is partly to blame for that decision. 🧐

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I am so sick of this narrative that WDI is afraid of drama/tension/scariness in its recent attractions.

Tiana’s Bayou Adventure, for example, has several tense and very scary moments that have not gotten enough credit on this board. There’s almost a full 30 seconds between Tiana’s prompt for musicians and our discovery of the critter band. My heart absolutely raced during those 30 seconds. Would we be able to find musicians for Tiana’s party? What if we can’t find any? What if Tiana’s party doesn’t have any live music? Just imagine the ramifications.

And then, even after we meet the critter band, our ordeal is not over. Naturally riders are left to wonder just whether or not these critters can play. Panic-induced nausea sets in as we turn to Louis and Tiana desperate for any indication that this band, for whom we searched high and low, can indeed play.

At last, just when we cannot take it any longer (Disney knows exactly how long to push for maximum suspense), Louis and Tiana both confirm — this band can play. :cool: Exhausted from this high-stakes ordeal, we arrive at Tiana’s party, a joyous finale to celebrate the culmination of our adventure (Charita’s idea).

**Eagle-eyed riders may notice Louis and Tiana actually proceed to confirm that the critters “can play” a total of 17 more times during the attraction — a fun reference to Walt’s love of the number 17.

Disney truly is the best in the biz.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Alien is too adult for Disneyland. I always found its inclusion in GMR bizarre. Even Alien Encounter, while 95% great, did take it a bit too far over the line in its original iteration. Its fantastic set design, characters, and concept are what propelled it to being so well remembered.

Indiana Jones Adventure and Tower of Terror are the kind of attraction that walks the line perfectly. No blood or gore, but still haunting imagery and creepy atmosphere that might frighten a child. The Halloween mazes found at Hong Kong go far beyond what is acceptable at Disney parks.

I agree. I just don’t think Disney does.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom