The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

PiratesMansion

VENTING:

My WDW trip dining reservations open up tomorrow, meaning I should have a general idea of which park I will go to on which day. The problem is that the parks calendars do not yet extend out to my trip days. That means I don't even know the hours for the parks (and different parks stay open later on different days). This is so overly complicated. Does Disney even look at their own website? Do they attempt to plan their own trips? I know how @TP2000 would answer that question, and I'm inclined to say he's correct.

At this point, I'm tempted to forgo any dining reservations, smuggle snacks into the parks, and eat dinner at the hotel. It's a vacation, for crying out loud. It shouldn't be this difficult.

/end rant
Your complaints are valid.

Here are a few things that may help *a little*:
-Look and see what days of the week Magic Kingdom will have the Halloween Party and plan around that in whichever way you think is best (reportedly lines are much shorter on Party days until the party guests start to mix-in)
-Epcot hours are basically always 9-9
-The reservation calendar may give you an indirect idea of when the parks will close based on what times are available.

brb1006

As much as we give Bob Iger flack (and rightfully so). I will admit, his tribute to Richard Sherman for "The Jolly Holiday" panel today was actually nice. Taken a few hours ago, Iger gave speech recalling his last encounter with Richard. He shared a video where Richard actually written new lyrics for "It's A Small World" that he never shared to anyone besides Iger that was taken sometime last year.

I felt like sharing here for those that missed it. @TP2000 and @WDW1974 would have enjoyed this video.

Last edited:

DrAlice

Your complaints are valid.

Here are a few things that may help *a little*:
-Look and see what days of the week Magic Kingdom will have the Halloween Party and plan around that in whichever way you think is best (reportedly lines are much shorter on Party days until the party guests start to mix-in)
-Epcot hours are basically always 9-9
-The reservation calendar may give you an indirect idea of when the parks will close based on what times are available.
I think I got caught up in the website hype of "book now!". When I took a step back, I realized that we almost never do table service on our DL trips, so why was I obsessing over this? If I can get Space 220, great. If not, no worries. I'd rather focus my time and energy on unique Florida attractions, not overpriced Disney food.

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it!

MoonRakerSCM

Florida does have a MUCH better restaurant situation than Dland (to me there's no comparison)... but yes, there's just as good counter service/snack food as there are restaurants ('generally'... I kind of don't like MK...).

chadwpalm

In the Parks
No
My hot take is that the door effect is the most pointlessly overhyped thing in the history of DL Park, and the replacement effect is fine, actually.
I always loved the effect and was disappointed when they stopped maintaining it and altered it.

When I was younger I actually thought we were going through different doors/corridors and never questioned it. Apparently the effect worked on me. As I got older I wondered if there was a trick to it, but it wasn't until about 10-15 years ago when I finally looked it up and saw how it worked. I knew it was a trick, but didn't expect they were moving the whole room....much like the boulder effect at the end. Most people still think you are moving backward.

Anyway, you may find it over-hyped, but it is things like this that always made Disney more special to me. Much the same with things like the Roger Rabbit hole, or pepper's ghost in HM, or even the subtle face-changing pirate at the end of the cavern before the ship battle on Pirates.

MoonRakerSCM

The conversations pre internet were fun. Truly not immediately knowing how the effect worked (by looking it up) and being dumbfounded that you really did enter through the different doors.

Last edited:

brb1006

"would have enjoyed"??? I'm still alive and kicking! 🤣

I agree, that was a very classy tribute from Bob Iger. I wish we'd see more of this version of him. Thank you so much for sharing it!
Whoops didn't intend that comment to imply you suddenly passed. :hilarious:

But seriously, I ain't used to Iger this vulnerable. But when it comes to anything related to The Sherman Brothers (especially Richard) I don't have the heart to become critical for once.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

WDI is bulldozing the Rivers of America at MK.

Do we think they’d dare do the same at Walt’s park?

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if the company is waiting for Kim Irvine and others to die so they can erase Disneyland history without objection. Turn ROA into Cars, Tomorrowland into Monstropolis. Scrub Walt’s line about “hard facts” from copies of the opening day speech. This is why the Tomorrowland upgrade has been recurrently postponed.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

At this point I wouldn’t be surprised if the company is waiting for Kim Irvine and others to die so they can erase Disneyland history without objection. Turn ROA into Cars, Tomorrowland into Monstropolis. Scrub Walt’s line about “hard facts” from copies of the opening day speech. This is why the Tomorrowland upgrade has been recurrently postponed.
Nope, but I'm sure some will panic and claim they will.

PiratesMansion

I think I got caught up in the website hype of "book now!". When I took a step back, I realized that we almost never do table service on our DL trips, so why was I obsessing over this? If I can get Space 220, great. If not, no worries. I'd rather focus my time and energy on unique Florida attractions, not overpriced Disney food.

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate it!
Well, I would say that WDW table service tends to have better theming, many of the better food offerings in park, etc. It's one of those things that WDW absolutely does better than DL, and also one of the ways to get out of the sun and relax. WDW counter service, especially in MK, is a lot of very basic and uninspiring options, the exact stereotypical theme park food that DLR is pretty good at avoiding most of the time.

So do try and do TS options, but I wouldn't worry if you don't get one of the more popular options, as there will be plenty more, often just as good or a better fot for your family's needs.

Hotel or Disney Springs restaurants are often even better.

I like Liberty Tree Tavern & Skipper Canteen at MK as distinct MK places with decent theming/atmosphere, decent food, and decent prices.

The one counter service I definitely recommend is the restaurant in Pandora.

mickEblu

Original Poster

It’s scary. I’m surprised how many WDW people are ok with it? I’ve never been to MK, does the ROA not provide the same ambiance for their park that does to Disneyland? What am I missing?

I can live with them docking the boat (their boat not ours) and maybe shrinking down the river and chopping the island in half but that’s it. I think you have to have the River at least go from Thunder Mountain over to Haunted Mansion.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

It’s scary. I’m surprised how many WDW people are ok with it? I’ve never been to MK, does the ROA not provide the same ambiance for their park that does to Disneyland? What am I missing?

I can live with them docking the boat (their boat not ours) and maybe shrinking down the river and chopping the island in half but that’s it. I think you have to have the River at least go from Thunder Mountain over to Haunted Mansion.

It provides essential ambiance. It's mind-blowing to remove it. Back in the day, this was my favorite land of any U.S. Disney park.

WDI has no idea what they're doing, and the Disney parks "fans" who support these decisions are fans of Disney IP first and foremost; the parks are an afterthought.

mickEblu

Original Poster
It provides essential ambiance. It's mind-blowing to remove it. Back in the day, this was my favorite land of any U.S. Disney park.

WDI has no idea what they're doing, and the Disney parks "fans" who support these decisions are fans of Disney IP first and foremost; the parks are an afterthought.

Even when I was a kid it’s what made Disneyland Disneyland for me. More than the castle or Fantasyland. It’s the soul of the park. Have they gone Mad?

Consumer

Not to downplay the stupidity of the decision, but removing Rivers of America at Magic Kingdom makes far more sense than it would at Disneyland. At Magic Kingdom, it only houses a steamboat and an island playground, unlike the two ships, canoes, nighttime spectacular, and Pirates Lair at Disneyland. On top of that, the rivers allow for those Florida alligators to gain access into the park, which I can't imagine being ideal.

Still, the importance of the Rivers of America cannot be understated. The original Mickey Mouse Park that was designed for Burbank was almost entirely just the Rivers of America. The waterway is as essential to Disneyland as the railroad around the park, as both reflect Walt's love of Americana. There's a reason why Shanghai Disneyland has neither.
1723486683432.png

mickEblu

Original Poster
Not to downplay the stupidity of the decision, but removing Rivers of America at Magic Kingdom makes far more sense than it would at Disneyland. At Magic Kingdom, it only houses a steamboat and an island playground, unlike the two ships, canoes, nighttime spectacular, and Pirates Lair at Disneyland. On top of that, the rivers allow for those Florida alligators to gain access into the park, which I can't imagine being ideal.

Still, the importance of the Rivers of America cannot be understated. The original Mickey Mouse Park that was designed for Burbank was almost entirely just the Rivers of America. The waterway is as essential to Disneyland as the railroad around the park, as both reflect Walt's love of Americana. There's a reason why Shanghai Disneyland has neither.
View attachment 808738

When did they close TSI at MK?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

View attachment 808738
In all fairness I don't believe it was to be an actual "Rivers of America" back in the original Mickey Mouse park version for Burbank. Rather just a waterway with an island. It was however what lead to the idea of RoA for Disneyland.

BrianLo

Hot take alert.

San Fransokyo seemed wholey unnecessary and corporately driven gobbledegook…

But I actually like it, a lot. It’s a great vibe. I already have a huge soft spot for that food court and am glad corporate has deemed it now keepable. It might even be… marginally improved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom