The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

SuddenStorm

Something I'm surprised Disney hasn't done yet is a Figment/Dreamfinder film. You'd think it'd be a given with all the films based on attractions Disney's been putting out.

It could be great for a few reasons- the original attraction was a celebration of imagination and the creative process, something people of all ages can relate too. It's a character that EPCOT fans have been in love with since the '80s- so parents could see a beloved character from their youth brought to the big screen, and children can be introduced to a fleshed out version of an iconic character.

The characters have gotten a Marvel comics treatment- and they've sold fairly well.

The "theme" for the attraction used to be a wonderful Sherman brothers track- "One Little Spark" that could be adapted to a film fairly easily and bring some classic Disney charm.

A film could introduce the character to fans who've either only ridden the current bastardized version of the attraction, or who've never been to EPCOT. The character would also be fitting for a television series- where every week the duo venture into a new dream. If successful, it could be used as inspiration to fix the current version of the attraction. It could even inspire a new attraction to be built in the Carousel theater in Disneyland's Tomorrowland.

Shows that delve into the "Imagination" if done right tend to connect with audiences on an emotional level that few things can- the '92 iteration of Fantasmic! being a prime example. What was once a celebration of the surrealism and wonder of imagination full of effects that "wow" people of all ages with stagecraft that defies belief has been reduced to a simple water/projection fragmented clip show extravaganza that leaves little to be wondered and little room for an emotional connection.

Of course- I'm still blown away by the horrific treatment Mickey and Minnie are getting for the 90th celebration, an opportunity to bring together Disney fans of every age to celebrate America's most iconic character with an exhibit celebrating Mickey's heritage and evolution in the Disney gallery, a new series of shorts in the various styles of Mickey, and to have Mickey meet and greets in the style of each generation of the Mouse has been reduced to a "Get Your Ears On" promotion relying solely on the current weird version of Mickey and selling Mickey themed foods.

Phroobar

Something I'm surprised Disney hasn't done yet is a Figment/Dreamfinder film. You'd think it'd be a given with all the films based on attractions Disney's been putting out.

It could be great for a few reasons- the original attraction was a celebration of imagination and the creative process, something people of all ages can relate too. It's a character that EPCOT fans have been in love with since the '80s- so parents could see a beloved character from their youth brought to the big screen, and children can be introduced to a fleshed out version of an iconic character.

The characters have gotten a Marvel comics treatment- and they've sold fairly well.

The "theme" for the attraction used to be a wonderful Sherman brothers track- "One Little Spark" that could be adapted to a film fairly easily and bring some classic Disney charm.

A film could introduce the character to fans who've either only ridden the current bastardized version of the attraction, or who've never been to EPCOT. The character would also be fitting for a television series- where every week the duo venture into a new dream. If successful, it could be used as inspiration to fix the current version of the attraction. It could even inspire a new attraction to be built in the Carousel theater in Disneyland's Tomorrowland.

Shows that delve into the "Imagination" if done right tend to connect with audiences on an emotional level that few things can- the '92 iteration of Fantasmic! being a prime example. What was once a celebration of the surrealism and wonder of imagination full of effects that "wow" people of all ages with stagecraft that defies belief has been reduced to a simple water/projection fragmented clip show extravaganza that leaves little to be wondered and little room for an emotional connection.

Of course- I'm still blown away by the horrific treatment Mickey and Minnie are getting for the 90th celebration, an opportunity to bring together Disney fans of every age to celebrate America's most iconic character with an exhibit celebrating Mickey's heritage and evolution in the Disney gallery, a new series of shorts in the various styles of Mickey, and to have Mickey meet and greets in the style of each generation of the Mouse has been reduced to a "Get Your Ears On" promotion relying solely on the current weird version of Mickey and selling Mickey themed foods.
It's a great idea. Too bad Disney isn't smart enough to come up with something that creative. They have to remake every animated movie and make at least fifty Marvel and Star Wars movies first.

Rich T

If Disney couldn't get their act together to make a Kingdom Hearts movie, they aren't going to be creative enough to get behind a Dreamfinder film. Get ready for a photo-realistic CGI remake of Aristocats.

Rich T

Frozen II looks like a high fantasy epic and I kinda dig it

Oh, no. I wanted to hate this, but it looks like they made some very good decisions for the sequel. And I'll go see anything featuring a stampede of angry heroic reindeer. I applaud them for going against expectations and presenting a completely non-musical action-adventure trailer. So far, so good.

TROR

Oh, no. I wanted to hate this, but it looks like they made some very good decisions for the sequel. And I'll go see anything featuring a stampede of angry heroic reindeer. I applaud them for going against expectations and presenting a completely non-musical action-adventure trailer. So far, so good.
I'm definitely hesitant for the film as I feel a lot of Disney's latest movies have been mediocre and lack class but I'm definitely hopeful based on just this trailer. I feel a lot of people forget the more adventurous and, dare I say, violent moments in Frozen so I like that they seem to be playing more on those aspects of the original film.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I'm definitely hesitant for the film as I feel a lot of Disney's latest movies have been mediocre and lack class but I'm definitely hopeful based on just this trailer. I feel a lot of people forget the more adventurous and, dare I say, violent moments in Frozen so I like that they seem to be playing more on those aspects of the original film.

I just watched the trailer for the first time after reading your comment. It looks Ok to me. I can’t really get a feel for what the movie is about which I kind of like. They created a good trailer. I’m just not so sure the movie will actually have the same tone. I mean if they really wanted to they could have created almost the exact same trailer for Frozen 1 using scenes from that movie.

VJ

can confirm, @TROR was standing in my room at 3am once and this is exactly what happened ;)

Magic Feather

This is why we can't have nice things. Imagine if it had been windy, and the sign was poorly held. The wind could blow that monstrosity into the middle of a crowd, and any attached metal for hanging it hitting (and likely injuring) someone. Politics aside, this is an issue of safety. While this should have been caught by security, responsibility ultimately falls on the imbecile that put his own political beliefs and quest for fame above the safety of others.

mickEblu

Original Poster
This is why we can't have nice things. Imagine if it had been windy, and the sign was poorly held. The wind could blow that monstrosity into the middle of a crowd, and any attached metal for hanging it hitting (and likely injuring) someone. Politics aside, this is an issue of safety. While this should have been caught by security, responsibility ultimately falls on the imbecile that put his own political beliefs and quest for fame above the safety of others.

Lol wait, this is real!?

Darkbeer1

Well, off to USH in the morning as a late Valentine's Day Date with my lovely wife, Lisa.

We are opting for the Metrolink Train from Fullerton to Union Station, then the Subway to the Universal City Station, followed by the USH tram up the hill to the park. (So no crazy LA Traffic, that will be Sunday to the Novo at LA Live).

Looking forward to a nice mellow date (I hope), and know which attractions are good if it starts raining a bit.

As for the idiot who did the Mark Twain stunt, politics aside, it shouldn't have happened for many reasons including safety.

But I know that many folks do Ninja Weddings on the Steamboat, as there is no real way to stop it once the boat leaves the dock. Also wrong, as it interferes with park guests that just want to enjoy the ride.

Wonder if the "Social Clubs" provided paid protection?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom