The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Stevek

Back during the lockdowns, when my Rift S was still new to me, I found something similar for ATIS and "rode through" with my headset and, quite honestly, for Omnimover rides it works really well. My one small gripe was the fact that the Omnimover would change directions / rotate / etc. but not keep the head mounted, but if I just swiveled my chair in sync with the Omnimover vehicle then I could truly just sit back and look around / immerse myself in the "ride." I'd love to see more and more of these recreations continue to appear (and hopefully be VR compatible).
I still have a DVD of the ATIS creation done many years ago. So good.

Phroobar

I'll never forget my time at Pyms when it was utter chaos and the lines were all over the place, guests screaming at each other, not moving at all due to the 'bartender' not knowing how to 'make' the drinks as well as dissapearing for a while (while mobile order people were being sent to stations and crowding around them by the 10s). A 'low level' dress manager came out, walked the line by us, observing the chaos. While walking away near us she muttered to herself "It’s moving, what are they whining about?".
Reminds me of scene in Mr. Monk's last case where Monk is undercover as a bartender. His OCD wouldn't let him make the drink properly since the oranges had to sliced in a certain way. He had a huge crowd of people waiting for drinks and he kept starting over and over.

Disney Vault

The Hyperion queue is behind scaffolding. I wonder if it is getting attention because they plan on bringing something back there anytime soon. Since the area received some love before rogers premiered last time.

Consumer

As excited as I'd like to be for TR3N, the fact it's directed by the same guy who did Maleficent 2 and Pirates 5 tells me all I need to know, not to mention casting Jared Leto and the lack of Daft Punk for the soundtrack. Even before Disney ever "went woke," the company's total number of quality live action films is about five, if that.

1705724164341.png

gerarar

Premium Member
Is this the kind of hospitality you expect to receive when paying over $170 for a day at Disneyland?

I took part of this "fake line" at WDW this past October. Rise was down for at least 30 mins at this point. I knew it was bound to come up sooner or later, plus I saw the CMs getting the standby line starts here signs out from storage and packing up the rope that blocks the entrance.

There was a small line of like 10 or so guests near the entrance. I got in the line also. Multiple times CMs would walk back and forth every couple mins and tell us this was not an official line and that the ride was not guaranteed to come back up any time soon.

I stayed put. Family in front and behind me (I was solo) asked me if they should leave. Told them to stay since I knew it was coming back soon. 10 mins past, and the ride finally reopens. The CMs who earlier were telling us that we were not an official line sorta blocked the entrance to allow us in the unofficial line to enter first. Instant walk on to the Rey room. Pleasant experience overall, especially for the parties of first timers that I told to stay lol.

Now at DL (was there in November), the Pirates standby queue is a mess during the day. Multiple times the line was barked at to stand close to the edge/planters andmove forward to close any spaces. Honestly with all the crowds and noise, you could barely hear them.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

I'm so glad no other older Imagineers are doing this kind of nonsense. Unless Mr. Gurr designed Walt's suit, there's no reason he should be signing his name on this.

View attachment 764012
Who Cares So What GIF by PragerU

Why are some so eager to police what is or is not ok behavior by ex-Imagineers? Is it because he's not going full scorched earth "the company is spiritually dead and I don't care who knows it" like Rolly Crump was before he passed? Is he too positive and energetic for some people on this forum?

There are so many more important things to pass judgment on than what this one dude, and one of the only Imagineers who worked directly with Walt still living, does with his spare time. So he's monetizing his connection to the company a little bit. So what? His perspective seems to be that Disney was just a small window of his career, but it's the one part that people want to talk about, so why not make some money off of it? You know, that thing that capitalism encourages people to do. Apparently it's fine when the Disney company does these same things, but not when one of their former employees does it on their own?

Is he hurting anyone? He's not. So who cares?

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Doh! I had the app toggled to “Show Only Disney Genie+ LLs,” thereby excluding Rise.

Oh well. It’s raining and I don’t have an umbrella. Time to see Mr. Lincoln and GTFO of here.

Lol not your fault. I can only imagine a first time guest trying navigate through that crappy system.

Can’t you buy an umbrella for $75 then pay the $23 for ROTR? Maybe stop by at Plaza Inn to on your way out.

Consumer

Lol I think that’s supposed to be Woodlore from the Humphrey the Bear shorts.
Well that's stupid. I would be completely open to a Humphrey the Bear attraction in Grizzly Peak, but GRR isn't where that belongs.

Also, on the topic of Grizzly River Run, I hate that there are geysers in the attraction. The geysers are inspired by the hydrothermal features of Lassen Volcanic National Park in northern California, which is a problem because Lassen Volcanic is in the Cascade Range and Grizzly Peak is set in Sierra Nevada.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Thought I’d share this here as I never shared a trip report on my Disney cruise from last year. Someone on the DCL thread just asked me what I thought. This is more of a breakdown of my thoughts. Not really a trip report…

We had a great time! It did takes us a couple days to really settle in but that’s not Disneys fault. The cruise happened to be scheduled during a rough time (had to move out of our house due to storm damage) and had also recently thrown out my back. We were in Miami for a few days before the cruise and the transition day to the port wasn’t the smoothest. In spite of all that we really enjoyed ourselves.

A few of the negatives:

Food: was a big miss for us. I had heard that food on Disney cruises was decent and it was Carnival quality at best. In fact i remember enjoying Carnival food much more but those cruises were way back on trips that spanned from 1995-2005. With that said the Carnival Cruise we went on in 2014 had terrible food. It was hard to find anything I liked at the buffet. At dinner I think I only really liked one or two dishes the entire trip. Everything else was mediocre to bad. Tenders were good as well as the breakfast hash browns. They can’t even get pizza right which even Carnival does. I don’t think I enjoyed one piece of beef on the whole trip except for the prime rib at the buffet one day I believe. The seabass on my first night was also good. I can’t help but think that the timing has something to do with this. We sailed on the Dream on a 7 night cruise which from what I understand it doesn’t usually do. This was also right before a transatlantic trip to the Mediterranean. The last two nights of the trip they started introcuding Mediterranean options to practice for the upcoming cruises and I think they were a little better. All this to say I think that they were out of rhythm. Room service menu was embrassingly limited too. With all of that said the dining rooms were all nice and we still had a great time together.

EDIT: Almost forgot Castaway Cay food. That was great! Especially the ribs! Best meal I had the whole week by far. Well, fish tacos I got on the beach at Cane Garden Bay were pretty good too. It was diced grilled fish in a light curry sauce. Never had that take on a fish taco before. Cuban food in Miami was great too.

Dinner service: was just ok. I remember servers being much more attentive on past cruises. They weren’t terrible but they were average at best. Sometimes would forget things or take a really long time to bring us stuff. They were nice though.

Pools: Too packed to be enjoyable. Overall the ship was pleasant except for at the pool deck and the buffets.

Trivia: being a Disney (parks) nerd I came home with a few medals. I was disappointed though that they used the same questions for every single parks trivia throughout the cruise. How hard is it to come up with more questions?

The good stuff:

Entertainment: Great! Loved all the shows especially the Golden Mickeys. A little dated feeling at this point but still very fun.

Aqua Duck: my son and I had a blast on it

Animators Palette: such a a fun dining room. Beautifully designed. We loved both nights there. Would definitely try to have 3 nights there on the next trip.

Kids Club: Son loved it!

Atrium/ main deck interiors: it’s a beautiful ship and I really enjoyed a lot of the Disney artwork.

Our room: most comfortable I’ve ever been on a cruise. We had a Verandah room, mid deck level 9. No noise, not too much swaying and spacious enough.

Castaway Cay: Best food we had all week by far. Some beach bbq was really nice after a week of not so great food. We got lucky and scored some of the last beach chairs in a really nice spot. Weather was great. We didn’t do the water slide as the line was too long.

That detective game: was a fun neat thing to do with entire family.

Overall, Kids had a blast and we ended up putting $200 down on a future cruise for 10% off. Probably will cancel though as you have to use it within two years and I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t find flying to a cruise to be worth the hassle. Being that I’ve already been on the Dream and they only use the old ships over here on the West coast/ LA it’ll probably be a while til we cruise again. I’d want my next cruise to be on the Treasure or Wish. I’d also choose a cruise that does multiple stops at Disneys islands. I’ve come to the conclusion and have seen enough of the Carribean islands where I don’t feel that getting off the ship is worth the hassle. At least not with kids. There isn’t really any great food or culture you re missing out on. With that said, Cuba, Puerto Rico and Jamaica would be islands I’d be interested in seeing.

This cruise stopped at Tortola, St Thomas and Castaway Cay. Tortola was really nice. Went to Cane Garden Bay and beach was very mellow as we were the only cruise ship on the island that day. Unlike Megan’s Bay the next day which was super busy as there were 3-4 ships on the island. Weather was pretty great throughout the whole trip.

Last edited:

mickEblu

Original Poster
Well that's stupid. I would be completely open to a Humphrey the Bear attraction in Grizzly Peak, but GRR isn't where that belongs.

Also, on the topic of Grizzly River Run, I hate that there are geysers in the attraction. The geysers are inspired by the hydrothermal features of Lassen Volcanic National Park in northern California, which is a problem because Lassen Volcanic is in the Cascade Range and Grizzly Peak is set in Sierra Nevada.

I hate the geysers as there is nothing more frustrating than to avoid getting wet the whole ride only to have the geyser drench you at the end… on a winter day.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I find it funny that people go on a water ride, specifically a rapids ride, and then complain about getting drenched. I mean there are only like a dozen signs (don't know the exact number) that warn you about getting soaked.

So maybe don't go on a water ride on a winter day if you don't want to get wet. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom