The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

Indy_UK

Generally speaking it's relatively cool and pleasant out in the morning, pretty hot from ~12 to 5 (great time for a midday break), and then it cools off again in the evenings.

It is MUCH less humid than WDW and it basically DOES NOT RAIN in the summer.

One thing to note, because the climate is so much milder than WDW, there are significantly more queues, seating areas, etc. that are outside than in Florida, so it's a bit harder to beat the heat if it becomes very uncomfortable outside.

I find shorts and T-Shirts to be totally fine during the summer.

Thanks for that. Really need to travel light this trip but know shorts and T-Shirt is fine then I won't go packing sweaters and jeans.

Actually I will pack those too because immediately after California, we are doing a 7 night Alaskan Cruise which is going to insanely cold.

Stevek

I’ve been on it about a dozen times and have never been more than moderately wet except for the time I got hit by the geyser. Regardless, it makes no sense to have it turned on on a non summer day. If someone is riding GRR in winter it’s because they enjoy the ride and are willing to risk getting wet but I’d imagine they don't want to get drenched. On the ride there is a good chance you will get wet and I can live with that if I’ve decided to ride it. The geyser is completely unnecessary and it’s literally after the ride right before unload. Nobody at that point after all the action/ fun on a Winter day say’s you know would be great right before I step off this raft? To get completely soaked. Summertime? A fun surprise at the end of the ride. Winter time? Unnecessary and wanted by no one. Unless you are staying at the Grand Californian and it’s your last ride of the night and enjoy the novelty of getting soaked in the freezing cold because you have the luxury of walking right up to your room. But that’s a pretty unique case I’d say.
Absolutely no reason to have it on during colder months, which is often when it's under it's refurb as it is right now.

CaptinEO

🤦‍♂️

Ok I’ll bite. There is a difference between getting a little or moderately wet and being completely drenched. The only time I’ve been drenched on the ride is when being hit by the geyser which is completely unnecessary to be turned on on a non summer day for capacity reasons alone.

Had I known the geyser was on I would not have rode it that day.
Is the geyser on in the winter?

Great spot in the park is the bridge that lets you sit and watch the geyser drench everyone. It's endless entertainment.

Disney Analyst

So Pirates is now on Genie+ "temporarily".

Looking at the app, Pirates is currently a 25 minute wait, with the ability to book a Lightning Lane for a near instant time slot.

PiratesMansion

So Pirates is now on Genie+ "temporarily".

Looking at the app, Pirates is currently a 25 minute wait, with the ability to book a Lightning Lane for a near instant time slot.
I wonder if this will be like the summer that regular HM was on FP for the first time and with MP you could get on immediately for awhile because the public hadn't caught on yet.

Then eventually everyone figured it out and the average wait increased considerably.

PiratesMansion

Disneyland just sent me an email for discounted on-site hotel rates for the next few months (basically pre-Spring Break season). I find this interesting because:
-I have never stayed onsite at DLR, nor even browsed their hotel rates in any capacity.
-I have never received a discount offer for Disneyland anything, ever (though there have been some WDW offers sent my way over the years that I have never used).

Maybe the fact that I'm being sent an offer for the first time right now is just a coincidence, or perhaps they're more concerned than usual about attendance prior to Spring Break.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I wonder if this will be like the summer that regular HM was on FP for the first time and with MP you could get on immediately for awhile because the public hadn't caught on yet.

Then eventually everyone figured it out and the average wait increased considerably.

They didn’t catch on even though the app listed HM as an option? If anyone didn’t catch on I’d imagine it was the people still using paper fast passes.

TP2000

This news stinks! :mad: (And yes, the best Knott's products are the Mrs. Knott's versions they only sell at the park and the gift shop out front, but still...)

Especially because it's hard to find boysenberry jam in stores. It was already only a western thing, but now another brand of boysenberry is being taken off the market. Boo!

Rich T

Californian-in-Florida observations from CBJ’s final week:
IMG_2393.jpeg

Went to Magic Kingdom yesterday and today to see Country Bear Jamboree a few last times. Six, actually. Packed houses for each performance; fans were out to say farewell and it was wonderful to see the show getting so much love and appreciation from the crowds.

People were laughing at every joke, applauding every number, reacting to Big Al as if he was Taylor Swift… it was awesome. I’m sure there were a few first-timers mixed in who simply followed the crowd into the theater and ended up completely baffled as they witnessed the wild, adoring reactions of everyone around them. 😄

I took videos, panoramic photos, 3D videos to watch later on Apple’s VR thingy, and nearly teared up at the end of my final viewing.

I know the show needs the update. I hope it’s good. But, dang, I love the classic Jamboree, even in its current butchered-but-admittedly brisk edited version.

A couple more shots:
IMG_2394.jpeg

Liberty Square’s super-immersive view of the Contemporary.
IMG_2399.jpeg

Current state of TBA.
IMG_2398.jpeg

Goodbye for now, old friends. I hope the new show treats you well.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Californian-in-Florida observations from CBJ’s final week:
View attachment 764881
Went to Magic Kingdom yesterday and today to see Country Bear Jamboree a few last times. Six, actually. Packed houses for each performance; fans were out to say farewell and it was wonderful to see the show getting so much love and appreciation from the crowds.

People were laughing at every joke, applauding every number, reacting to Big Al as if he was Taylor Swift… it was awesome. I’m sure there were a few first-timers mixed in who simply followed the crowd into the theater and ended up completely baffled as they witnessed the wild, adoring reactions of everyone around them. 😄

I took videos, panoramic photos, 3D videos to watch later on Apple’s VR thingy, and nearly teared up at the end of my final viewing.

I know the show needs the update. I hope it’s good. But, dang, I love the classic Jamboree, even in its current butchered-but-admittedly brisk edited version.

A couple more shots:
View attachment 764882
View attachment 764883
Current state of TAB.
View attachment 764884
Goodbye for now, old friends. I hope the new show treats you well.
At least the boys won't be condemned to stare at Pooh forever as he stuffs his face with honey.

TP2000

A couple more shots:
View attachment 764882

img_2394-jpeg.764882

I say this admittedly as a lifelong Poly guy, so take it with a grain of salt, but the Contemporary has not aged well at all. And seeing it from Circa 1780 Colonial America doesn't help that fact in 2024.

Unlike the Disneyland Hotel, the Contemporary has never been repainted or reworked. I don't even think they've replaced the windows, have they? They replaced the Disneyland Hotel windows back in 2009, and they just replaced the Paradise Pier Pixar Place Hotel windows in 2023. Windows aside, the rest of the Contemporary's facade is the same as it was in '71, except with a slight patina of age and Orlando mildew on it.

I get it, they wanted to sell more dessert party tickets and PhotoPass packages at WDW. But removing trees in the Hub, and thus removing buffer areas between lands, wasn't worth it. Was it? Does PhotoPass even still exist as a paid upgrade?

mickEblu

Original Poster
I say this admittedly as a lifelong Poly guy, so take it with a grain of salt, but the Contemporary has not aged well at all. And seeing it from Circa 1780 Colonial America doesn't help that fact in 2024.

Unlike the Disneyland Hotel, the Contemporary has never been repainted or reworked. I don't even think they've replaced the windows, have they? They replaced the Disneyland Hotel windows back in 2009, and they just replaced the Paradise Pier Pixar Place Hotel windows in 2023. Windows aside, the rest of the Contemporary's facade is the same as it was in '71, except with a slight patina of age and Orlando mildew on it.

I get it, they wanted to sell more dessert party tickets and PhotoPass packages at WDW. But removing trees in the Hub, and thus removing buffer areas between lands, wasn't worth it. Was it? Does PhotoPass even still exist as a paid upgrade?

I didn’t realize that view from Liberty Square exists. To think they purposely cut down those mature trees and allowed for this view. Inexcusable.

We should be seeing some of those Magnolia Park trees at Disneyland being hacked down any day now.

mickEblu

Original Poster
On todays episode of Something Ugly Something Nice.

Something ugly:

🚨🚨🚨✋
🌳👮🏻‍♂️🌳

Planter Policeman is back from my 5 month vacation and immediately getting back to work!

Whats going on in the TSMM queue? We can’t be doing these wood chip n dirt planters in the park Disney. Where are the shrubs and flowers?

E3B87EF6-208F-4D80-931E-10B7D6266CE1.jpeg

Something nice:

332204CE-0221-4B80-9CB8-461C78145952.jpeg

CC75DBF4-0464-489E-8124-D8A88E6773E3.jpeg

I haven’t seen San Fransokyo during the day but at night it looked kind of nice. I like the reflection of those lanterns and the bridge in the water as well as the Port of San Fransokyo sign. Still think it looks too busy and those hero signs are awful as is the soundtrack. The bridge is fine but really messes up the vista of Pixar Pier. Looks better when you’re walking towards the park entrance.

We re staying at the Westin tonight. Had a nice dinner at Puesto. Really recommend the filet mignon tacos even though they weren’t nearly as good tonight as they’ve been in the past. They have good margaritas too. We then went to DCA (pretty easy walk to DCA from the hotel especially if you cut through the Grand Californian) for a few hours with a nice full stomach so I could spare myself from trying any disappointing food from Lunar New Year. Tomorrow we plan on being at Disneyland all day. After 5 months, Disneyland deserves the full day get there fresh in the morning treatment. Not the few hours at night after an exhausting day + 2 hours traffic treatment.

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

I didn’t realize that view from Liberty Square exists. To think they purposely cut down those mature trees and allowed for this view. Inexcusable.

We should be seeing some of those Magnolia Park trees at Disneyland being hacked down any day now.
Disneyland has consistently shown more thought and desire towards maintaining mature trees when compared to Magic Kingdom.

Also, those hub trees at MK were chopped down in the late 90s-early 00's. It wasn't a recent decision at all.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom