The Miscellaneous Thought Thread

DrAlice

Now at DL (was there in November), the Pirates standby queue is a mess during the day. Multiple times the line was barked at to stand close to the edge/planters andmove forward to close any spaces. Honestly with all the crowds and noise, you could barely hear them.
I absolutely DESPISE this CM behavior. This is something that I only really noticed on our last trip in August. The CMs barked the "close all empty spaces" spiel at us in the HM queue multiple times before we made it inside the mansion. Listen, Disney, I know what you are trying to do, but it is just bad show. Guests shouldn't be verbally beaten up while standing in a long line. Everyone there knows how to move in a line. If Disney is having an operations issue, they need to fix the issue. Yelling at the guests is not the answer. It's just terrible show.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I find it funny that people go on a water ride, specifically a rapids ride, and then complain about getting drenched. I mean there are only like a dozen signs (don't know the exact number) that warn you about getting soaked.

So maybe don't go on a water ride on a winter day if you don't want to get wet. ;)

🤦‍♂️

Ok I’ll bite. There is a difference between getting a little or moderately wet and being completely drenched. The only time I’ve been drenched on the ride is when being hit by the geyser which is completely unnecessary to be turned on on a non summer day for capacity reasons alone.

Had I known the geyser was on I would not have rode it that day.

PiratesMansion

Thought I’d share this here as I never shared a trip report on my Disney cruise from last year. Someone on the DCL thread just asked me what I thought. This is more of a breakdown of my thoughts. Not really a trip report…

We had a great time! It did takes us a couple days to really settle in but that’s not Disneys fault. The cruise happened to be scheduled during a rough time (had to move out of our house due to storm damage) and had also recently thrown out my back. We were in Miami for a few days before the cruise and the transition day to the port wasn’t the smoothest. In spite of all that we really enjoyed ourselves.

A few of the negatives:

Food: was a big miss for us. I had heard that food on Disney cruises was decent and it was Carnival quality at best. In fact i remember enjoying Carnival food much more but those cruises were way back on trips that spanned from 1995-2005. With that said the Carnival Cruise we went on in 2014 had terrible food. It was hard to find anything I liked at the buffet. At dinner I think I only really liked one or two dishes the entire trip. Everything else was mediocre to bad. Tenders were good as well as the breakfast hash browns. They can’t even get pizza right which even Carnival does. I don’t think I enjoyed one piece of beef on the whole trip except for the prime rib at the buffet one day I believe. The seabass on my first night was also good. I can’t help but think that the timing has something to do with this. We sailed on the Dream on a 7 night cruise which from what I understand it doesn’t usually do. This was also right before a transatlantic trip to the Mediterranean. The last two nights of the trip they started introcuding Mediterranean options to practice for the upcoming cruises and I think they were a little better. All this to say I think that they were out of rhythm. Room service menu was embrassingly limited too. With all of that said the dining rooms were all nice and we still had a great time together.

EDIT: Almost forgot Castaway Cay food. That was great! Especially the ribs! Best meal I had the whole week by far. Well, fish tacos I got on the beach at Cane Garden Bay were pretty good too. It was diced grilled fish in a light curry sauce. Never had that take on a fish taco before. Cuban food in Miami was great too.

Dinner service: was just ok. I remember servers being much more attentive on past cruises. They weren’t terrible but they were average at best. Sometimes would forget things or take a really long time to bring us stuff. They were nice though.

Pools: Too packed to be enjoyable. Overall the ship was pleasant except for at the pool deck and the buffets.

Trivia: being a Disney (parks) nerd I came home with a few medals. I was disappointed though that they used the same questions for every single parks trivia throughout the cruise. How hard is it to come up with more questions?

The good stuff:

Entertainment: Great! Loved all the shows especially the Golden Mickeys. A little dated feeling at this point but still very fun.

Aqua Duck: my son and I had a blast on it

Animators Palette: such a a fun dining room. Beautifully designed. We loved both nights there. Would definitely try to have 3 nights there on the next trip.

Kids Club: Son loved it!

Atrium/ main deck interiors: it’s a beautiful ship and I really enjoyed a lot of the Disney artwork.

Our room: most comfortable I’ve ever been on a cruise. We had a Verandah room, mid deck level 9. No noise, not too much swaying and spacious enough.

Castaway Cay: Best food we had all week by far. Some beach bbq was really nice after a week of not so great food. We got lucky and scored some of the last beach chairs in a really nice spot. Weather was great. We didn’t do the water slide as the line was too long.

That detective game: was a fun neat thing to do with entire family.

Overall, Kids had a blast and we ended up putting $200 down on a future cruise for 10% off. Probably will cancel though as you have to use it within two years and I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t find flying to a cruise to be worth the hassle. Being that I’ve already been on the Dream and they only use the old ships over here on the West coast/ LA it’ll probably be a while til we cruise again. I’d want my next cruise to be on the Treasure or Wish. I’d also choose a cruise that does multiple stops at Disneys islands. I’ve come to the conclusion and have seen enough of the Carribean islands where I don’t feel that getting off the ship is worth the hassle. At least not with kids. There isn’t really any great food or culture you re missing out on. With that said, Cuba, Puerto Rico and Jamaica would be islands I’d be interested in seeing.

This cruise stopped at Tortola, St Thomas and Castaway Cay. Tortola was really nice. Went to Cane Garden Bay and beach was very mellow as we were the only cruise ship on the island that day. Unlike Megan’s Bay the next day which was super busy as there were 3-4 ships on the island. Weather was pretty great throughout the whole trip.
Glad you had a good time!

I've done two cruises, neither Disney, and found the pools to be a zoo on both of them the entire time. It wouldn't surprise me if that's just how all cruises are. Even on my later cruise, on one of those humongous Royal Carribbean ships, which had a huge deck and multiple pools broken up into different clusters, there was more demand than supply.

RE other Disney Cruise ships: I get the feeling might like the older ships more than Treasure or Wish, which are much more focused on Avengers and other Non-Disney brands than the four older ships. I've also heard about weird layout issues on the newer ships. Nothing I've heard about the newest class of ships makes me have any desire to sail on them.

Not sure if this is something I can blame on the Carribbean or Crusing generally, but based on the Carribean cruise I did six years ago or so, I'm with you and not a fan of port days. Getting off the boat, in addition to being a process, felt like I was being moved on a conveyer belt to areas that just all felt tacky, forced, and fake. I mean, techinically you're in another country, but it sure doesn't feel like it with how commercialized it is and how many jewelry stores and Senor Frogs sorts of places there are at every single stop. Getting off at a port felt closer to being at Epcot than I would have liked. You don't really have the time to really see these places and get off the beaten path, so you end off largely stuck in heavily touristed areas where everything you come across could just as easily be found in any other tourist spot, with very little actually specific to or emblematic of where you are.

I'm not really in any hurry to get back to the Carribbean in any capacity, though I'd do it if I got a good rate on Dream or Fantasy and just not get off the ship other than Castaway Cay. Generic tropical "sit on a beach" vacations aren't my style.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
🤦‍♂️

Ok I’ll bite. There is a difference between getting a little or moderately wet and being completely drenched. The only time I’ve been drenched on the ride is when being hit by the geyser which is completely unnecessary to be turned on on a non summer day for capacity reasons alone.

Its a rapids ride, I would just assume that all water effects will be on all the time no matter the time of year. Its a common effect on a rapids ride. In fact most I've ridden have guest controlled geysers and water cannons, something that GRR doesn't have.

Heck not even all the geysers have been running, some have been broken for years. So its even less of a soaking then it should be. I'm happy they appear to be fixing those geysers that have been broken.

So with all that its to say, maybe you shouldn't ride a rapids attraction during winter if you don't want to get wet.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Its a rapids ride, I would just assume that all water effects will be on all the time no matter the time of year. Its a common effect on a rapids ride. In fact most I've ridden have guest controlled geysers and water cannons, something that GRR doesn't have.

Heck not even all the geysers have been running, some have been broken for years. So its even less of a soaking then it should be. I'm happy they appear to be fixing those geysers that have been broken.

So with all that its to say, maybe you shouldn't ride a rapids attraction during winter if you don't want to get wet.

Thank you for this invaluable tip.

mickEblu

Original Poster
Glad you had a good time!

I've done two cruises, neither Disney, and found the pools to be a zoo on both of them the entire time. It wouldn't surprise me if that's just how all cruises are. Even on my later cruise, on one of those humongous Royal Carribbean ships, which had a huge deck and multiple pools broken up into different clusters, there was more demand than supply.

RE other Disney Cruise ships: I get the feeling might like the older ships more than Treasure or Wish, which are much more focused on Avengers and other Non-Disney brands than the four older ships. I've also heard about weird layout issues on the newer ships. Nothing I've heard about the newest class of ships makes me have any desire to sail on them.

Not sure if this is something I can blame on the Carribbean or Crusing generally, but based on the Carribean cruise I did six years ago or so, I'm with you and not a fan of port days. Getting off the boat, in addition to being a process, felt like I was being moved on a conveyer belt to areas that just all felt tacky, forced, and fake. I mean, techinically you're in another country, but it sure doesn't feel like it with how commercialized it is and how many jewelry stores and Senor Frogs sorts of places there are at every single stop. Getting off at a port felt closer to being at Epcot than I would have liked. You don't really have the time to really see these places and get off the beaten path, so you end off largely stuck in heavily touristed areas where everything you come across could just as easily be found in any other tourist spot, with very little actually specific to or emblematic of where you are.

I'm not really in any hurry to get back to the Carribbean in any capacity, though I'd do it if I got a good rate on Dream or Fantasy and just not get off the ship other than Castaway Cay. Generic tropical "sit on a beach" vacations aren't my style.

Thanks!

Yeah I have no interest in pools or jacuzzis on cruises. I went in one time for my son. Im not sure why the average cruise ship has so few pools for the amount of people they stuff on those ships.

I think there are certain things about the Magic and Wonder I would like more like them being less crowded and some of the dining rooms and bars look more interesting. With kids however, I think both of those ships would be a little bit of a let down after the Dream. Particularly for my son as they neither of them have the Aqua Duck or Mouse. If Disney cruises were cheaper I'd consider a 3 day one from LA or SD just to check them out but a 3 day Disney cruise on average is the cost of a nice 5-7 day vacation somewhere else and Ive already seen all of those Mexico stops multiple times.

It is interesting that I sailed on the Dream after the Wish started sailing and still came away feeling like I went on the Flagship due to all the poor reviews the Wish got. I do think that the food on the Wish or Treasure will be better. It has to be.

Exactly. I don't need to see another señor frogs and the trek to get to the cooler stuff just isn't worth the hassle with young kids. And so far the food Ive had in the Caribbean hasn't been great. I think that would be a different story on some of those other islands I mentioned.

Same here. I'm good on the Caribbean for a while. If I want that vibe I'll do Cancun again where the food and hospitality is better and the water is warmer. The "short" list for me is Europe (Italy/ France/England/ Switzerland), Japan, Disney World and Hawaii because we love it and its convenient. Also need to see some more of the US for sure.

Last edited:

gerarar

Premium Member
I know when most people say Paradise they're usually talking about some tropical island but Ive been following some Switzerland pages on Instagram and WOW that's my idea of Heaven on Earth.
I just got back from a 8-day trip there this past December, and it really is beautiful, almost dream like. Also very expensive lol
1000008170.jpg

1000008184.jpg

1000008195.jpg

1000008266.jpg

1000008323.jpg

1000008331.jpg

1000008053.jpg

1000008367.jpg

1000008693.jpg

Side note, if you're into K-Dramas and have seen Crash Landing on You, that second picture is the famous piano on the lake scene lol

Last edited:

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

Lol not your fault. I can only imagine a first time guest trying navigate through that crappy system.

I think of this every time I make a dumb mistake on the app. If I temporarily can't relocate the confirmation code for the mobile order I just paid for, there's no way a dad from Utah isn't having the same dumb issue.

Can’t you buy an umbrella for $75 then pay the $23 for ROTR? Maybe stop by at Plaza Inn to on your way out.

Haha I stepped in a puddle in the hub and decided even Mr. Lincoln would have to wait until next time. Got out of there real fast.

Disneyland on a cool, overcast day (typically with way less crowds) is the absolute best. Disneyland in the rain = no thanks.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

I absolutely DESPISE this CM behavior. This is something that I only really noticed on our last trip in August. The CMs barked the "close all empty spaces" spiel at us in the HM queue multiple times before we made it inside the mansion. Listen, Disney, I know what you are trying to do, but it is just bad show. Guests shouldn't be verbally beaten up while standing in a long line. Everyone there knows how to move in a line. If Disney is having an operations issue, they need to fix the issue. Yelling at the guests is not the answer. It's just terrible show.

I agree 1000%. I suspect many DL fans are unaware how bad it's gotten; this is a new phenomenon, CMs did not used to behave like this (or, you know, they were not instructed to behave like this). They're in guests' faces, scolding them to close all gaps -- to the point of absurdity. As you said, everyone knows how to move in a line; guests aren't going to invade each other's personal space because a 20 year-old is shouting at them.

Even if we try to excuse this CM behavior as necessary in the context of Pirates/Mansion/NOS, why was a CM doing the same thing in the Indy preshow room? It's just all-around atrocious show, as you've said. Everyone in the Indy queue was snickering about it. It makes guests uncomfortable.

Ne'er-Do-Well Cad

When did they change the safety spiel for Grizzly River Run? The "new" one they use sounds like some guy whose tongue is too big for his mouth.

I love this voice acting, haha. I find it charming.

I also find the geysers very fun. As far as I can tell, guests seem to love the spontaneity. And TBH when I'm a DCA and have decided to ride GRR, I know I'm going to get wet/soaked. The ride's theming is gorgeous and the mountain is impressive but we all know its primary function is to soak riders.

That said, for some reason, I never feel the same about Splash. In my mind (however illogical), it's primarily a dark ride. I'm okay with getting wet, but never completely ridiculously unbelievably you've-got-to-be-kidding-me drenched, which happens about 10-20% of the time because of that Laughing Place drop (or sometimes every drop, if you're unlucky enough to ride in a boat of entirely full-grown adults). I'd be thrilled if they did some tinkering/re-engineering during the flume's downtime, but we all know that ain't happening.

Last edited:

Phroobar

Thanks!

Yeah I have no interest in pools or jacuzzis on cruises. I went in one time for my son. Im not sure why the average cruise ship has so few pools for the amount of people they stuff on those ships.

I think there are certain things about the Magic and Wonder I would like more like them being less crowded and some of the dining rooms and bars look more interesting. With kids however, I think both of those ships would be a little bit of a let down after the Dream. Particularly for my son as they neither of them have the Aqua Duck or Mouse. If Disney cruises were cheaper I'd consider a 3 day one from LA or SD just to check them out but a 3 day Disney cruise on average is the cost of a nice 5-7 day vacation somewhere else and Ive already seen all of those Mexico stops multiple times.

It is interesting that I sailed on the Dream after the Wish started sailing and still came away feeling like I went on the Flagship due to all the poor reviews the Wish got. I do think that the food on the Wish or Treasure will be better. It has to be.

Exactly. I don't need to see another señor frogs and the trek to get to the cooler stuff just isn't worth the hassle with young kids. And so far the food Ive had in the Caribbean hasn't been great. I think that would be a different story on some of those other islands I mentioned.

Same here. I'm good on the Caribbean for a while. If I want that vibe I'll do Cancun again where the food and hospitality is better and the water is warmer. The "short" list for me is Europe (Italy/ France/England/ Switzerland), Japan, Disney World and Hawaii because we love it and its convenient. Also need to see some more of the US for sure.
My family and wife's brother's family did a 3 day Disney cruise down to Mexico from Long Beach. It was a special Costco deal so it was very affordable. We went Halloween weekend. I was surprised on how little Halloween activities there where during the cruise. They had the Sanderson Sisters (Minnie, Claribel and Daisy) meet & greet, continuous showings of the Nightmare before Christmas and Hocus Pocus 1&2 and a Halloween tree lighting ceremony. Nothing else was Halloween related. No costume parties outside of the pirate night they do everywhere.

None of the activities for my 16 year old interested him. He thought it was stupid baby sitting. He spent a lot of time having a Star Wars marathon in the cabin. There was no way he was going to go to teen dance parties. His favorite part was the dining rooms. He loved the animators palette and ordered all of the deserts one night that he shared with mom. The shows were good theme park feeling shows. Nothing too special or beyond what we see at Disneyland.

The pools are always packed. They have a section of the ship that was for adults only. There was no one ever in that area so it was great to relax and read a book or sleep without a zillion screaming kids running by. Some of the adults in the pool/bar area were a little skanky feeling but they were few and far between.

The biggest problem is the lines for activities. Every activity had a line. It was like going to Disneyland. If you didn't line up at least 45 minutes for an activity, you couldn't get in the room. I've been cruises where that isn't a problem. We did a few of them but ignored it for the most part.

Once we got to Mexico, people where shipped off in buses. We decided to wonder around town. It was skanky tourist trap feeling. Lots of people selling blankets or other things sitting on the ground. It reminded me of Olvera Street in LA but dirtier. We bought a couple of trinkets and got back on the ship.

For the most part, the Disney Cruise was fun but I would rather do a destination cruise like to Alaska or the Mediterranean without all the silly characters and screaming kids.

Stevek

🤦‍♂️

I've always assumed that I'm going to get drenched give the lack of control on where you end up in relation to a wave hitting the raft. I've been equally drenched with the geyser on or off.

mickEblu

Original Poster
I've always assumed that I'm going to get drenched give the lack of control on where you end up in relation to a wave hitting the raft. I've been equally drenched with the geyser on or off.

I’ve been on it about a dozen times and have never been more than moderately wet except for the time I got hit by the geyser. Regardless, it makes no sense to have it turned on on a non summer day. If someone is riding GRR in winter it’s because they enjoy the ride and are willing to risk getting wet but I’d imagine they don't want to get drenched. On the ride there is a good chance you will get wet and I can live with that if I’ve decided to ride it. The geyser is completely unnecessary and it’s literally after the ride right before unload. Nobody at that point after all the action/ fun on a Winter day say’s you know would be great right before I step off this raft? To get completely soaked. Summertime? A fun surprise at the end of the ride. Winter time? Unnecessary and wanted by no one. Unless you are staying at the Grand Californian and it’s your last ride of the night and enjoy the novelty of getting soaked in the freezing cold because you have the luxury of walking right up to your room. But that’s a pretty unique case I’d say.

Last edited:

Indy_UK

We are making our first trip to Disneyland this August (8-19th) from the UK and we have no clue on what we need to pack in terms of clothing? Are we talking heat thats comparable to WDW and need to be in shorts & T-Shirts or is it cooler and more Jeans weather?

Consumer

I know when most people say Paradise they're usually talking about some tropical island but Ive been following some Switzerland pages on Instagram and WOW that's my idea of Heaven on Earth.
You should visit Yosemite. Sure, it doesn't have the Matterhorn, but I believe it offers much of the same beauty as the Alps and is far more accessible to Californians.
1705938783297.png

PiratesMansion

We are making our first trip to Disneyland this August (8-19th) from the UK and we have no clue on what we need to pack in terms of clothing? Are we talking heat thats comparable to WDW and need to be in shorts & T-Shirts or is it cooler and more Jeans weather?
Generally speaking it's relatively cool and pleasant out in the morning, pretty hot from ~12 to 5 (great time for a midday break), and then it cools off again in the evenings.

It is MUCH less humid than WDW and it basically DOES NOT RAIN in the summer.

One thing to note, because the climate is so much milder than WDW, there are significantly more queues, seating areas, etc. that are outside than in Florida, so it's a bit harder to beat the heat if it becomes very uncomfortable outside.

I find shorts and T-Shirts to be totally fine during the summer.

mickEblu

Original Poster
You should visit Yosemite. Sure, it doesn't have the Matterhorn, but I believe it offers much of the same beauty as the Alps and is far more accessible to Californians.
View attachment 764307

We went to Yosemite back in the summer of 2016 for 5 days. It was really beautiful. Hiking up to Vernal Falls was probably the highlight. Love the old historic lodge there too. Didn’t get to eat there but that dining room looked very inviting. Cavernous like the Great Hall from Harry Potter but also warm with those candle chandeliers. Would love to go back with the kids. My wife went to Yosemite almost every summer when she was a kid. I’ve only been that once.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom