The misadventures with the mother-inlaw

markchewie

My MIL decided to rent a Scooter (ECV) for going round round EPCOT, after only 45 minutes she had hit 4 people and crashed full speed into a bench (which was occupied by a traumatized family).
In the interest of safety we then decided to swap it with a standard wheelchair.

Thankfully she had a fantastic time and even rode Exhibition Everest at AK at the young age of 82! :sohappy:

GASTES

Original Poster
HERE SHE IS ARRIVING AT THE AIRPORT.
NOTICE THE NAME TAG IN CASE SHE
WAS TO GET LOST.

DSCF2230-1-1.jpg

kstella

:lol:
My MIL decided to rent a Scooter (ECV) for going round round EPCOT, after only 45 minutes she had hit 4 people and crashed full speed into a bench (which was occupied by a traumatized family).
In the interest of safety we then decided to swap it with a standard wheelchair.

Those things take some getting used to! I work in a hospital and there was a person who had just gotten the wheel-chair type. She was smashing into everything-including a couple other patients!!!:lol:

MissingDisney

We're all glad that your power is back on. But please don't take offense. The "misadventures" and "Mother in law" are obviously going to make the mind wander, especially after the absense.

By comparison, my mother in law, who was a saint, took various trips with us over the years (never to disney), but our misadventures with her and others like her have included:

1. Constant and ill timed necessary trips to the bathroom, making us miss shows, embarkation times, etc . . .

2. Whining about how we treat the kids, what we eat, the money we spent.

3. My favorite, opening a patio door in the evening and immediately letting in a hundred flying insects of various size and leg numbers.

4. Constantly saying "What?"

5. Having her hearing aid start buzzing, all to her obliviousness.

6. Forgetting her purse at restaurants, in the lady's room, etc . . .

7. Shoving desserts at us that we were trying to avoid.

8. Wandering away.

9. Walking off in the wrong direction because she has absolutely no sense of direction.

10. And, although not on vacation, ripping off the muffler to my car with a snowblower.

Yes, the world is filled with mother in law irritations. Don't take the prior comments seriously.

Geesh, we had to miss a great viewing spot for Wishes one year because my own mother was having, um, bowel issues, shall we say. The music's playing, she's swaying and I'm thinking how nice it is to have her with my family, sharing in this Magical Moment. Just when Wishes is starting, she looks at me "I'm not gonna make it. I saw a bathroom over there by that space station (that would be Tomorrowland) and we need to go NOW!" I told her to go and just come back to us but she woudn't hear of it. She was convinced she would never find us in the mob of people and the increasing perspiration dripping down her face told me she was more than serious. She literally ran to the bathroom while we had to thread 2 strollers through tons of people who were cursing at me as I blocked their view. Finally we waited outside the restrooms....through the entire fireworks show. I was still thinking about how it was to have her with my family but I was not so Magical anymore. When my DH introduced her to some friends a few years later, without thinking they said "oh, yeah, the Space Station Lady!" At least he got a good MIL story out of it!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
If you do not have a good rapport with your better half's mother then that would be your own problem, but to continue to harangue the OP because you cannot find the good natured intended humor in this thread is uncalled for.

The continued harassment of the OP and his his family is nothing more than embarrassing.

Please take your obnoxious posting to where they belong...If you have to ask...then you haven't been paying attention.

The Mom

Premium Member
If you do not have a good rapport with your better half's mother then that would be your own problem, but to continue to harangue the OP because you cannot find the good natured intended humor in this thread is uncalled for.

The continued harassment of the OP and his his family is nothing more than embarrassing.

Please take your obnoxious posting to where they belong...If you have to ask...then you haven't been paying attention.

I'm seeing a little bit of teasing, and perhaps a few :confused: posts early on, but the OP was able to come back, gave an explanation (I was bit concerned when I saw the title, being a future MIL myself ;)), and I thought everything was fine. I don't see any new posts I would consider obnoxious. But I guess I haven't been paying attention?

My impression is that everyone thinks it's a fun thread, and are just throwing in some MIL stories of their own. My MIL died before I met my husband, but my mother was able to generate enough parental unit misadventures for both of us, rest her soul. :lol:

mergatroid

I'm seeing a little bit of teasing, and perhaps a few :confused: posts early on, but the OP was able to come back, gave an explanation (I was bit concerned when I saw the title, being a future MIL myself ;)), and I thought everything was fine. I don't see any new posts I would consider obnoxious. But I guess I haven't been paying attention?

My impression is that everyone thinks it's a fun thread, and are just throwing in some MIL stories of their own. My MIL died before I met my husband, but my mother was able to generate enough parental unit misadventures for both of us, rest her soul. :lol:

Agreed, I think the op himself is teasing his own MIL slightly although in a very affectionate way (he is obviously very close to her which is nice). By the way, you don't look old enough to be a MIL but when you are you'll have to change your username :animwink:

MissingDisney

You're The Mom for a reason. Settling squabbles amongst those of all ages! Love your input and couldn't agree more. And I think you'll be a wonder MIL yourself. Some just need to lighten up and see it for what it is...fun!

The Mom

Premium Member
Agreed, I think the op himself is teasing his own MIL slightly although in a very affectionate way (he is obviously very close to her which is nice). By the way, you don't look old enough to be a MIL but when you are you'll have to change your username :animwink:

The photo is 10 years old - I'm going to stay 50 forever ;), and since my eldest is going to be 28 in a couple of weeks, I'm definitely old enough. Heck, most of my contemporaries are grandmothers already. :lol:

kstella

I always envy people who have a good relationship with their MIL. I had thought I had a decent relationship with my MIL-I discovered 15 years into my marriage that I didn't, although I never would have considered going on vacation with her at any point ever!! On the flip side, my now ex-husband(so now she is my ex-MIL) had a great relationship with my mother. We went on vacation with my parents all the time and he has great MIL stories. Additionally, my mother had an identical twin sister, so he had a bonus MIL! Some people wouldn't have thought this was such a great thing, but my aunt was just as air headed sometimes as my mother and put the two of them together and watch out for the ensuing hysteria!!!!:lol:

I seem to have gotten the short end of the MIL stick...

Walt Disney1955

You know, we all know that the most potentiallly harmful relationship in a marriage can be the one between your mother and wife. For some reason this relationship - more than any other - proves to be lethal. I am so glad I got the long end of the stick with this one. My wife adores my mother, and vice-versa. She calls her "mom". I always joke that some guys are afraid of their wife and mother getting together because they are afraid they'll fight with each other. In my situation I am afraid of them getting together because they'll conspire against me! :lol:

GASTES

Original Poster
OK SO YESTERDAY WE TAKE THE MIL OUT FOR A SPECIAL DAY SO WE TAKE HER TO THE WOODSTOCK COUNTY FAIR (CT.). SO WHILE WERE STANDING AROUND TO SEE BO BICE, WHY I HAVE NO IDEA, THINK IT WAS THE WIFE'S IDEA. MY MOTHER IN LAW SAYS SHE TIRED OF STANDING AROUND WAITING .SO I SAY ITS LIKE WAITING TO RIDE TOY STORY MIDWAY MANIA OR THE MANY ADVENTURES OF WINNIE THE POOH,(HER FAVORITE CHARACTER}AND HER RESPONSE WAS HAVE WE BEEN ON THESE RIDES BEFORE.AND OF COURSE WE RIDE THEM EVERY YEAR. SO WHAT IT COMES DOWN TO IS LIKE GOING TO DISNEY WORLD WITH HER FOR THE FIRST TIME , EACH TIME SHE JOINS US.
100_0778-1.jpg

NOTICE THE PARASOL AND THE PACK

lbrad

She looks like a lot of fun!!! Always smiling ...loves the drinks:animwink::animwink:

We have never brought my MIL to Disney ... only my mother ... my poor DH ... he must really love me:sohappy:

We have been to Disney with both my mother and mother in law on the same trip. It was a good time. Both our father's were there as well. Some people's nightmare I am sure but it ended up being great fun. We have vacationed with my in laws since and had a good time. I guess I got lucky, I love my in laws and my husband loves my parents and our parents get along well too. My husband has even had the nerve to jokingly call my mother a "crazy old lady" and get away with it. She loves to tell people that story. When we celebrate our daughter's birthdays with our families our fathers head right outside, weather permitting, and spend the day out there chatting. Our mother's tend to stay in and socialize with everyone else or play with the kids but everyone gets along well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom