The Mine Train 'temper your expectations' thread

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I believe to have dinner there is a dress code, I could be wrong.

No wife-beaters...no daisy dukes...no bikini tops...and definitely no obscene T-Shirts or twelve year old girls with "sexy" bedazzled across their rear end (oops..they allow all that now) allowed inside the Magic Kingdom turnstiles...after that you are good to go!

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm sure the Beast was just as appalled and disappointed with the shabby attire of his guests. T-shirts and flip flops, oh my !
I believe to have dinner there is a dress code, I could be wrong.
There is no dress code for dinner. If you can get into the park wearing it you can eat there so no bikini tops or offensive shirts, but t-shirts and flip flops are acceptable. Only the signature restaurants at WDW have a business casual dress code but they are all located outside of the parks except for the steakhouse in Canada. I wonder how much they would enforce a dress code at a restaurant inside of a theme park anyway.

Not sure why anyone would risk wearing flip flops to MK unless they have something against their own toes, but there were plenty of people eating there in t-shirts. I did feel kinda under dressed when we ate there and I was wearing shorts and a solid colored T-shirt, but I wasn't going to wear pants or dress up for a hot day at MK and we had no time to go back to the hotel to change. The beast seemed to be accepting of my appearance given it was a hot day;)

SoccerMickey

"In 2015 or 2020 or 2030 when people visit MK it won't have an impact. Nobody will care that one ride opened later than the other. They are building long lived assets which are intended to be in service for many years to come"

Are they, though? I'm not trying to be flippant or bash what Disney is doing but are they really? Are these attractions and services that will be able to sustain the changing needs of the park visitors? As beautiful as Belle's village is, Enchanted Tales with Belle is a suped up meet-and-greet in a shell of a building that will be very hard to redress if, for some reason, the Disney Princesses slip in popularity, Gaston's Tavern is very slow, online and first-hand cast member accounts tell of operational nightmares that are plaguing Be Our Guest Restaurant with not the guest satisfasction scores that Disney wants (people disappointed with the service/food at dinner, and lunch guests disappointed with the same quality at lunch while waiting in a long line only to find a sea of empty tables), and while Under the Sea is experiencing long lines now, is this something people will want to waste one of their Fastpass+ options on 3 years from now, making the expense of the long and interactive queue seem pointless for a constantly loading attraction.

People are pointing out that Universal is playing catch up with their expansions but the hard facts is so is Disney. They might not need to go head-to-head with state of the art thrilling attractions but New Fantasyland is Disney playing catch-up with themselves because their park can no longer accommodate the needs of a 2010's family vacation. The scary thing is, this isn't enough. Later this year they have more beds to fill with the Four Seasons coming on-line and then shortly after that the Polynesian DVC opens up, making more people coming on property, and nothing else added to the parks to disperse this crowd.

And what makes it worse, is more perks and benefits are being taken away from the guests. Fastpass +, as it might work great for some families, there's a great percentage of guests it does not work for. And I'm not even talking about the technical glitches guests experience.

It's a shame they couldn't go back in time and reverse the process of being able to open New Fantasyland all at once, and roll out MyMagic+ in phases. Maybe that way both would be a little better executed.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
"In 2015 or 2020 or 2030 when people visit MK it won't have an impact. Nobody will care that one ride opened later than the other. They are building long lived assets which are intended to be in service for many years to come"

Are they, though? I'm not trying to be flippant or bash what Disney is doing but are they really? Are these attractions and services that will be able to sustain the changing needs of the park visitors?
They are building new attractions with a useful life of many, many years. That is an indisputable fact. Most will be operating in some form in 2020 or 2030. They capitalize these attractions and most will be amortized over long periods of time, as long as 30 years. If they shut the rides down early they would need to expense the remaining value. Not something they will likely be interested in doing so they will be around for a long time. This has nothing to do with how popular the attractions will be or how they compete with Universal. It has nothing to do with the changing needs of visitors. The point of my original comment which you quoted is that in 5 years nobody will care that LM opened before Mine Train.

Nowhere in there was I commenting on the staying power of FLE or the potential future popularity of the rides. I can't predict what people will like in the future. If LM has a shorter line 5 years from now what's the big deal? Small World rarely has a wait, HM has short lines in all but the most crowded seasons. Should they be closed? The length of a ride's line doesn't dictate success or failure. I think you are probably off base with your assessment of BOG too. It is still one of the most difficult reservations to get at WDW. It's been open over a year and that hasn't changed so at some point we can't keep saying it's just new people wanting to try it. They are literally printing money at BOG and laughing all the way to the bank.

tl77

Didn't pixie hollow also have an end 2014 date on it?

This 2nd, large, rock work version of Pixie Hollow from the first model was set to open in 2014, and everything else would have opened last year 2013
51793665.jpg

kap91

I agree that I would have preferred the whole land opening at once. It took away from the environment of the new part of Fantasyland that is open. I think most people who visited in 2013 would say that they would have rather had it partially open then having the whole thing behind construction walls. They could have just opened the whole FLE in 2014 when it was complete but I don't think anyone would have been happy about it.

This is a short term problem. In 2015 or 2020 or 2030 when people visit MK it won't have an impact. Nobody will care that one ride opened later than the other. They are building long lived assets which are intended to be in service for many years to come. Nobody in 2030 is going to say "Mine Coaster is a good ride, but I downgrade it because it took an extra year to build". I know we all get hung up on every detail around here, but the average visitor just won't care.

When you try to compare FLE to Universal's new offerings you are really comparing apples and oranges in many ways. Universal has a very tangible economic reason to fast track construction. They are in heavy growth mode and want to continue to push for market share. Without those additions they would not have double digit growth in attendance. The extra money spent will be recovered with extra bodies through the door. If Disney doubled the budget for Mine Train to get it done in 2012 instead what economic benefit would it have? Is Mine Train going to drive huge boosts in attendence? Nope, and it's not designed to. The 2 projects are being built for different purposes and have a much different economic profile. It would be nice if TWDC spent the extra money just to make fans happy, but it's unrealistic to think any corporation today would do that. Comcast isn't fast tracking Universal projects just to benefit guests and fans of the parks, they are doing it to make more money.

Thank you! Finally someone who talks sense and can do it far fewer words than myself. Bravo.

Horizons1

It'll be ok. It'll be cute, and have some nice detail. The mountain will add a nice visual element to Fantasyland. But the ride will be just ok.

NormC

There is no reason that the mine ride couldn't have been under construction at the same time as everything else. Would have made the logistics on the site a little trickier, but it could have been done. The original permits for the M&G's that were going to be where the mine ride is now were filed at the same time as the ones for the rest of the expansion.
The main reason is that the area was used for staging of all the other construction work. It is not behind schedule yet.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The main reason is that the area was used for staging of all the other construction work. It is not behind schedule yet.

The area was likely only used for staging because what was going to be built there went into limbo. If the Mine Ride had been part of the original plans they likely would have made other arrangement for staging so it could have been built at the same time as the other parts of FLE.

HokieDevil

I don't think ride is about tempering expectation. I think its more about certain guests looking for a different experience. The parks and trips are what you make of them. If you're expecting a thrill ride, you might do better up the road at Universal. I like feeling like a kid again so Magic Kingdom especially Fantasyland brings that out in me. When I want to feel like an adult I get drunk in EPCOT. I guess what I'm trying to say is that why not go and try to enjoy yourself like a kid at Magic Kingdom.

orky8

I don't think ride is about tempering expectation. I think its more about certain guests looking for a different experience. The parks and trips are what you make of them. If you're expecting a thrill ride, you might do better up the road at Universal. I like feeling like a kid again so Magic Kingdom especially Fantasyland brings that out in me. When I want to feel like an adult I get drunk in EPCOT. I guess what I'm trying to say is that why not go and try to enjoy yourself like a kid at Magic Kingdom.

I agree with your sentiment re mine train. But I find the rest of your post humorous.

Yes, nothing more "adult" then getting drunk... Don't know why, but to me, getting drunk is what I do when I want to feel like a kid again -- reminds of my less mature times.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom