The Mine Train 'temper your expectations' thread

bhg469

No one considers pirates of the Caribbean thrilling, but its long, entertaining and consumes a lot of people. In essence its one of the most perfect family rides to ever have been built. I'm holding off judgment until I ride it but I don't see this being in the same galaxy. They have yet to produce a timeless ride in the past decade, I don't see the streak ending soon.

Sped2424

tumblr_n0p2bpQUDI1r5lifho1_500.jpg

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I believe it has been said on here (by many) that the reason this ride took so long was simply to save money on round the clock construction. So while you explanation is well meant it doesn't really apply to this situation.

I understand being disappointed that it's taking so long, but I don't understand why It's such a big deal. I doubt that if Disney rushed this project it would mean they would suddenly green light and start some other project. If anything if they were forced to spend more to fast track this ride it would mean less money available for other projects. Disney works at a slow and deliberate pace. It's not a failure in execution, it's part of the plan. I'm sure that if Disney wanted to spend more money they could have pushed the construction calendar up and had this ride open in 2012 or 2013 instead of 2014. Would that have made this project a success (or for a lot of people any less of a failure?). They could have hired more workers, worked round the clock or cut corners on stuff like theming and rock work to do it faster. None of that would change the actual ride in any positive way. The only benefit would have been everyone riding it on their 2012 or 2013 trips instead of waiting until 2014. I would have loved to have had it open for my last trip, but it isn't a big deal, I'll catch it next time.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I understand being disappointed that it's taking so long, but I don't understand why It's such a big deal. I doubt that if Disney rushed this project it would mean they would suddenly green light and start some other project. If anything if they were forced to spend more to fast track this ride it would mean less money available for other projects. Disney works at a slow and deliberate pace. It's not a failure in execution, it's part of the plan. I'm sure that if Disney wanted to spend more money they could have pushed the construction calendar up and had this ride open in 2012 or 2013 instead of 2014. Would that have made this project a success (or for a lot of people any less of a failure?). They could have hired more workers, worked round the clock or cut corners on stuff like theming and rock work to do it faster. None of that would change the actual ride in any positive way. The only benefit would have been everyone riding it on their 2012 or 2013 trips instead of waiting until 2014. I would have loved to have had it open for my last trip, but it isn't a big deal, I'll catch it next time.

I knew that this ride was to open in 2014 since before the first part of new Fantasyland was opened in 2012. So I am not getting why this is an issue now since we have known for years about it coming this year and not any earlier.

Sped2424

I think we can all agree that opening a land with a giant construction zone in the middle of it is by no means up to the standard level of quality they have set themselves to in the past. It's only part of the plan to save money, simple as that this thing could have been open and beautiful with just the rest of new fantasyland. Something as on the scale of this ride shouldn't have taken so long pure and simple. Pushing it up would have made this land a complete experience when it opened and perhaps left a better impression in many people's minds, but it really isn't about that. Its really about the fact that there is NO reason other than saving a QUICK BUCK for this thing opening in 2014. It has been said by insiders on here TIME and TIME again, the deal is if they take this long to build a kiddie coaster experience what does that say about them when the company down the street opens an entire land with multiple shops and 2 e ticket experiences, dwarfing the entire fantasy land expansion. Maybe I am a cynic, but that doesn't sit right with me.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Confused as to why people think WDW would have to build as quickly as Uni. Uni is in catch up mode, not WDW. If you go every other week to WDW and are now sick of their attractions, that seems to be a personal problem.

Yes, Uni hit gold with HP. We get it. But to be reactive to that and let that guide your business would be Disney's worst mistake yet.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think we can all agree that opening a land with a giant construction zone in the middle of it is by no means up to the standard level of quality they have set themselves to in the past. It's only part of the plan to save money, simple as that this thing could have been open and beautiful with just the rest of new fantasyland. Something as on the scale of this ride shouldn't have taken so long pure and simple. Pushing it up would have made this land a complete experience when it opened and perhaps left a better impression in many people's minds, but it really isn't about that. Its really about the fact that there is NO reason other than saving a QUICK BUCK for this thing opening in 2014. It has been said by insiders on here TIME and TIME again, the deal is if they take this long to build a kiddie coaster experience what does that say about them when the company down the street opens an entire land with multiple shops and 2 e ticket experiences, dwarfing the entire fantasy land expansion. Maybe I am a cynic, but that doesn't sit right with me.
I agree that I would have preferred the whole land opening at once. It took away from the environment of the new part of Fantasyland that is open. I think most people who visited in 2013 would say that they would have rather had it partially open then having the whole thing behind construction walls. They could have just opened the whole FLE in 2014 when it was complete but I don't think anyone would have been happy about it.

This is a short term problem. In 2015 or 2020 or 2030 when people visit MK it won't have an impact. Nobody will care that one ride opened later than the other. They are building long lived assets which are intended to be in service for many years to come. Nobody in 2030 is going to say "Mine Coaster is a good ride, but I downgrade it because it took an extra year to build". I know we all get hung up on every detail around here, but the average visitor just won't care.

When you try to compare FLE to Universal's new offerings you are really comparing apples and oranges in many ways. Universal has a very tangible economic reason to fast track construction. They are in heavy growth mode and want to continue to push for market share. Without those additions they would not have double digit growth in attendance. The extra money spent will be recovered with extra bodies through the door. If Disney doubled the budget for Mine Train to get it done in 2012 instead what economic benefit would it have? Is Mine Train going to drive huge boosts in attendence? Nope, and it's not designed to. The 2 projects are being built for different purposes and have a much different economic profile. It would be nice if TWDC spent the extra money just to make fans happy, but it's unrealistic to think any corporation today would do that. Comcast isn't fast tracking Universal projects just to benefit guests and fans of the parks, they are doing it to make more money.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I agree that I would have preferred the whole land opening at once. It took away from the environment of the new part of Fantasyland that is open. I think most people who visited in 2013 would say that they would have rather had it partially open then having the whole thing behind construction walls. They could have just opened the whole FLE in 2014 when it was complete but I don't think anyone would have been happy about it.

This is a short term problem. In 2015 or 2020 or 2030 when people visit MK it won't have an impact. Nobody will care that one ride opened later than the other. They are building long lived assets which are intended to be in service for many years to come. Nobody in 2030 is going to say "Mine Coaster is a good ride, but I downgrade it because it took an extra year to build". I know we all get hung up on every detail around here, but the average visitor just won't care.

When you try to compare FLE to Universal's new offerings you are really comparing apples and oranges in many ways. Universal has a very tangible economic reason to fast track construction. They are in heavy growth mode and want to continue to push for market share. Without those additions they would not have double digit growth in attendance. The extra money spent will be recovered with extra bodies through the door. If Disney doubled the budget for Mine Train to get it done in 2012 instead what economic benefit would it have? Is Mine Train going to drive huge boosts in attendence? Nope, and it's not designed to. The 2 projects are being built for different purposes and have a much different economic profile. It would be nice if TWDC spent the extra money just to make fans happy, but it's unrealistic to think any corporation today would do that. Comcast isn't fast tracking Universal projects just to benefit guests and fans of the parks, they are doing it to make more money.

Great post, well said!

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member

Forget comparing construction times, forget comparing Disney vs Uni, forget talking about how much of a thrill it will be or how attendance will be affected. IMO, the bottom line is that the 7DMT and New FL in general are excellent examples of how TWDC has become lazy and has somewhat lost the ability to blow your socks off and create something so incredibly original and immersive that it re-writes the standard others follow. Is New FL cool? Sure, but its not mind blowing. Its nothing Uni has to worry about competing with, its nothing that makes you want to return to WDW. Theyre still relying on attractions created 10 years ago or more to make guests return. Like the article said, it could have been a slam dunk, but they went for the lay up.

As far as Comcast fast tracking projects to make money, yes, they want to make money, but they are doing that while blowing your socks off at the same time. Disney used to know how to do that. (your post was great, just giving my perspective )

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Forget comparing construction times, forget comparing Disney vs Uni, forget talking about how much of a thrill it will be or how attendance will be affected. IMO, the bottom line is that the 7DMT and New FL in general are excellent examples of how TWDC has become lazy and has somewhat lost the ability to blow your socks off and create something so incredibly original and immersive that it re-writes the standard others follow. Is New FL cool? Sure, but its not mind blowing. Its nothing Uni has to worry about competing with, its nothing that makes you want to return to WDW. Theyre still relying on attractions created 10 years ago or more to make guests return. Like the article said, it could have been a slam dunk, but they went for the lay up.

As far as Comcast fast tracking projects to make money, yes, they want to make money, but they are doing that while blowing your socks off at the same time. Disney used to know how to do that. (your post was great, just giving my perspective )
I don't disagree with any of this. While visually stunning FLE could have been much better. I wish they had built at least 1 other ride that was a true E ticket that could have blown us away. My original response was specifically to this:
Cute is what it's going to be, and beautiful. Still doesn't excuse the time wasted on building this thing. If anyone is disappointed its because it took 2.5 years to build the coaster which should have taken far less.
I don't understand why the construction time should be the main thing to be disappointed about. To me it hardly factors into my opinion.

JerseyDad

....can't imagine why anyone would expect it (Mine Train) to be more than a "kiddie" ride ...because ...it's located essentially in the portion or MK that's pretty much a "kiddie park".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom