The Mandalorian & Grogu (Lucasfilm - 2026 Theatrical)

erasure fan1

Marvel has been known to announce many movie projects then cancel them all throughout its history, long before Disney. Its so common it has its own Wiki page -
I strongly disagree with this. Marvel has had very little canceling of films. Especially in the mcu. And if you're going back through history, still not a great companion because marvel has made A LOT more than they've cancelled. Heck, add in all of Lucas star wars and they've still cancelled more than theyve done. I'm not counting untitled marvel film on a release calendar... as an announcement.

I think you are misinterpreting what I'm saying. All movie studios cancel films. But star wars has made 5 of their at least 14 announced films. It's not wrong to think some of these might not make the cut.
Except its a common response every time something new about Star Wars is discussed. If it was just a standalone post on its own I would agree with you.
Sure, he's hard on star wars. But this comment, that triggered this conversation, he has a valid point. I'm not sure how someone could really even argue it. You might be more confident about the films all getting made, and that's great. But for some, it's the proof is in the pudding as they say. The track record for star wars is there.

Tha Realest

This doesn’t make any sense.

Mando Season 4
Ashoka Season 2
Mando & Grogu Film

All to build into a Mandoverse film? Seems like too much
I don’t know that they’ve ever confirmed a Season 4 is happening, or in development. I think they were still writing scripts. Yet the Mando and Grogu film is going into production this year (which presumably means they have a script ready or near ready, pre-viz is already being worked up, and talent schedules booked.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I strongly disagree with this. Marvel has had very little canceling of films. Especially in the mcu. And if you're going back through history, still not a great companion because marvel has made A LOT more than they've cancelled. Heck, add in all of Lucas star wars and they've still cancelled more than theyve done. I'm not counting untitled marvel film on a release calendar... as an announcement.

I think you are misinterpreting what I'm saying. All movie studios cancel films. But star wars has made 5 of their at least 14 announced films. It's not wrong to think some of these might not make the cut.
Sorry I disagree Marvel (through their studio partners) has had a history of announcing projects and then cancelling them. It hasn't happened much in the MCU, but Marvel was making movies before the MCU. So in that respect yeah Lucas has done it more recently but its not like they are the only ones. So my default stance with any Hollywood announcement is always, I'll believe it when I see it, doesn't mean I can't discuss or speculate on the same. Basically it should just go without saying, that is my point.

Sure, he's hard on star wars. But this comment, that triggered this conversation, he has a valid point. I'm not sure how someone could really even argue it. You might be more confident about the films all getting made, and that's great. But for some, it's the proof is in the pudding as they say. The track record for star wars is there.

You can disagree if you want. But to me, since it was my post that was quoted, it felt like trying to squash any conversation about it. And this isn't the first time that has happened with regards to Star Wars, its why I responded the way I did. And my response and opinion is no less valid than anyone else's here.

erasure fan1

Sorry I disagree Marvel (through their studio partners) has had a history of announcing projects and then cancelling them. It hasn't happened much in the MCU, but Marvel was making movies before the MCU.
But if you go back before the mcu, it was multiple studios. So I'm not sure it's the same thing. But again, it has 100% happened at other studios. But Disney has done it in an extremely short time.
And my response and opinion is no less valid than anyone else's here.
Of course, I'm not saying it isn't. But your response did make it seem like thinking the films might not actually get made wasn't a valid opinion. It just seemed like a strange thing to push back on. You had said you believed the film was still happening. And he said I'll believe it when they shot a frame of it. That just didn't sound like he was squashing your opinion.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
But if you go back before the mcu, it was multiple studios. So I'm not sure it's the same thing. But again, it has 100% happened at other studios. But Disney has done it in an extremely short time.

Of course, I'm not saying it isn't. But your response did make it seem like thinking the films might not actually get made wasn't a valid opinion. It just seemed like a strange thing to push back on. You had said you believed the film was still happening. And he said I'll believe it when they shot a frame of it. That just didn't sound like he was squashing your opinion.
We’re just not going to see eye-to-eye on this. And we’ve taken enough time discussing this so best to move on.

Let’s just all have an understanding and agree that all discussion about anything announced by Disney is pretty much just in speculation town until it gets released, and doesn’t really need to be said.

Last edited:

CoasterSnoop

This doesn’t make any sense.

Mando Season 4
Ashoka Season 2
Mando & Grogu Film

All to build into a Mandoverse film? Seems like too much
And even if what was Mando Season 4 is condensed into this movie which is unclear, there's still the issue of Ahsoka Season 2 as you said, as well as any other "Filoni-verse" shows that might tie-in between now and release.

I fell off Mando after S2 (well really BoBF), and I know I'm not the only one. Regardless of whether or not these characters are widely recognizable. As The Marvels and other Marvel films have shown us, if general audiences feel like they need to do TV show homework to understand a movie (in this case, what these familiar characters are doing in the movie), they're not going to pay theater ticket prices.

Marketing needs to ensure two things. 1, audiences know or are at least led to believe that's not the case. And 2, that this is bigger, better, and more cinematic than its TV show counterpart or at least lead the audience to believe that's the case.

Fail to do either of those things and this thing is DOA, familiar characters and all.

MagicHappens1971

And even if what was Mando Season 4 is condensed into this movie which is unclear, there's still the issue of Ahsoka Season 2 as you said, as well as any other "Filoni-verse" shows that might tie-in between now and release.

I fell off Mando after S2 (well really BoBF), and I know I'm not the only one. Regardless of whether or not these characters are widely recognizable. As The Marvels and other Marvel films have shown us, if general audiences feel like they need to do TV show homework to understand a movie (in this case, what these familiar characters are doing in the movie), they're not going to pay theater ticket prices.

Marketing needs to ensure two things. 1, audiences know or are at least led to believe that's not the case. And 2, that this is bigger, better, and more cinematic than its TV show counterpart or at least lead the audience to believe that's the case.

Fail to do either of those things and this thing is DOA, familiar characters and all.
It's just very confusing, and I have been very vocal about my support for the 3 new films announced by Lucasfilm last year (Rey's, Mando-verse, Dawn of the Jedi). However now, I am back into believing that they have no clear vision (yet again) for the future of the Star Wars franchise.

This announcement seems like (yet) another knee-jerk reaction from Iger & Co to keep people interested, and makes me wonder if this will be the Mando-verse film disguised as something new.

Marketing will be a challenge here, although I feel some more casual fans will go see the film just for Grogu. On the other hand, Disney has lost a lot of good will in this franchise. Ahsoka is a fan-favorite, but who are those fans?

The Mando-verse film is a no brainer (imo), they're able to mine the Grogu, Mando & Ahsoka (Clone Wars) fans. By transition to a different Mando film instead of (or in addition to) they are isolating some.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Marketing will be a challenge here, although I feel some more casual fans will go see the film just for Grogu. On the other hand, Disney has lost a lot of good will in this franchise. Ahsoka is a fan-favorite, but who are those fans?

Unfortunately, it's a common theme not just limited to that Disney franchise. For whatever reason, there's no resonance with the fanbase or sufficient new customers to replace those who became disaffected with the changes.

Indy_UK

It was the potential to make a lot of money as the Madalorian is huge in pop culture now but it needs a knockout story that again doesn't require you to have watched all the TV shows. I think most would be more excited about this than Episode X with Rey

Hawkeye_2018

S1 and S1 would have been awesome condensed into a movie. But S3 was sooo bad. And I'm convinced they are going to continue down that path. They should have left all that Filoni stuff in the cartoons as it hasn't translated to live action very well. Get back to what made S1 and S2 great.

MagicHappens1971

S1 and S1 would have been awesome condensed into a movie. But S3 was sooo bad. And I'm convinced they are going to continue down that path. They should have left all that Filoni stuff in the cartoons as it hasn't translated to live action very well. Get back to what made S1 and S2 great.
Filoni is officially the CCO of Lucasfilm now. I don’t think we’ll see any less of Filionis style.

erasure fan1

However now, I am back into believing that they have no clear vision (yet again) for the future of the Star Wars franchise.
It really does seem like they have no vision. I feel the same way. Is the Rey film the start of 10, 11 & 12? Is the dawn of the Jedi the start of the old republic? Is Filoniverse it's own saga and is the mando film part of it? It just seems like a hodgepodge of stuff to see if something sticks.
This announcement seems like (yet) another knee-jerk reaction from Iger & Co to keep people interested
Because it was a bit of a knee jerk in my opinion. If it was this far along that it will start shooting in the summer, why not announce it with the others? It must be the furthest along so why not? The appearance to me is they wanted some positive headlines since the Rey film reception hasn't been great.

MagicHappens1971

It really does seem like they have no vision. I feel the same way. Is the Rey film the start of 10, 11 & 12? Is the dawn of the Jedi the start of the old republic? Is Filoniverse it's own saga and is the mando film part of it? It just seems like a hodgepodge of stuff to see if something sticks.
I don’t think this is really an issue. 3 separate films are fine. They’re mining 3 different sets of fans, to yes, see “what sticks”. The films could be standalone, or upon their success or failure may get sequels.
Because it was a bit of a knee jerk in my opinion. If it was this far along that it will start shooting in the summer, why not announce it with the others? It must be the furthest along so why not? The appearance to me is they wanted some positive headlines since the Rey film reception hasn't been great.
I think the reception of the Rey film is mixed, for sure. But has been getting especially negative press in recent days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom