The Mandalorian & Grogu (Lucasfilm - 2026 Theatrical)

Phroobar

The last time Ashoka was in a theatrical Star Wars movie, it tanked at the box office. It was the worst reviewed pre-Disney Star Wars movie ever.

iu

Phroobar

Are you being serious?
Yes. Will the public show up for a movie with these characters when they have never watched the CW, Rebels and the Disney+ shows? "Everyone" hated season 3 of Mando because is relied on Bo-Katana. However her story directly built on CW and Rebels. If you watch it from that perspective, it was a great season because it was her redemption.

Phroobar

This was basically the introduction to The Clone Wars franchise and was geared towards children. Ahsoka is now a fan favorite.
She is. Thrawn and Ashoka are two of my favorite characters. However if Ashoka is going to be as wooden and unemotional as she was in the Disney+ show, it will be hard to get me on board. The cartoon version was far more fun.

erasure fan1

I don’t think this is really an issue. 3 separate films are fine. They’re mining 3 different sets of fans, to yes, see “what sticks”. The films could be standalone, or upon their success or failure may get sequels.
You are correct, it doesn't have to be an issue. I just don't trust Lucasfilm all that much to make it work. I don't think multiple saga type films running at the same time is a smart move. And if they are all really stand alone, then they better be stand alone. There can be a lot of pitfalls with the strategy they seem to be going with.

A true vision in my opinion, would be to have 10, 11 & 12 announced and ready. Or make the dawn of the Jedi the start of saga that leads you through the knights of the old republic. I think they need all the focus on getting this right straight out of the gate. And the test the waters approach is a bit risky with this group that's in charge.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Original Poster
A few details in a newsletter from THR.

"Star Wars gave us confusion more than anything else with its Jon Favreau movie announcement. After the very meh season three of The Mandalorian, who was clamoring for a movie? And what happens to season four of the show? What happens to the Dave Filoni-directed movie that was supposed to bring together than Filoni-verse shows?

All good questions and here’s what we know: Pre-strikes, Lucasfilm was intent on making season four of Mandalorian. The scripts had all been written. During the Great Hollywood Break however, things got re-evaluated, with plans shifting to the movie as the priority.

What happens to season four now is unclear. It’s definitely not a given. If the movie is a success, it could lead to next phase of Mando storytelling becoming movie sequels. Box office and fan reaction would determine that.

Sources say that Filoni’s own movie is still on trac at this point, although it is due to come after season two of Ahsoka, whenever that will be. The good news here, for movie fans at least, is that audiences will have their first Favreau-directed big-screen outing since 2019’s remake of The Lion King.

Favreau is not only directing the feature but, according to sources, is also writing the script with Filoni."

Tha Realest

A few details in a newsletter from THR.

"Star Wars gave us confusion more than anything else with its Jon Favreau movie announcement. After the very meh season three of The Mandalorian, who was clamoring for a movie? And what happens to season four of the show? What happens to the Dave Filoni-directed movie that was supposed to bring together than Filoni-verse shows?

All good questions and here’s what we know: Pre-strikes, Lucasfilm was intent on making season four of Mandalorian. The scripts had all been written. During the Great Hollywood Break however, things got re-evaluated, with plans shifting to the movie as the priority.

What happens to season four now is unclear. It’s definitely not a given. If the movie is a success, it could lead to next phase of Mando storytelling becoming movie sequels. Box office and fan reaction would determine that.

Sources say that Filoni’s own movie is still on trac at this point, although it is due to come after season two of Ahsoka, whenever that will be. The good news here, for movie fans at least, is that audiences will have their first Favreau-directed big-screen outing since 2019’s remake of The Lion King.

Favreau is not only directing the feature but, according to sources, is also writing the script with Filoni."
Seems to suggest the Mando Favreau film was a panic button push rather than part of a plan.

But hey, maybe after a six-year hiatus Star Wars will finally be back in theaters in 2025

Phroobar

So they can make a star wars movie right out of the blue in a year? It took Uncle George three years. My bet this movie is just season four but shorter and made into one movie. Sound cheep and poorly thought out

MagicHappens1971

So they can make a star wars movie right out of the blue in a year? It took Uncle George three years. My bet this movie is just season four but shorter and made into one movie. Sound cheep and poorly thought out
Well the season was probably already written. They just have to readjust and release it as a movie. Cheap? Definitely not. Mando episodes cost ~$25M an episode.

Phroobar

Well the season was probably already written. They just have to readjust and release it as a movie. Cheap? Definitely not. Mando episodes cost ~$25M an episode.
Four episodes would be $100m which sounds right for a Star Wars movie on the cheep. Remember Wish somehow cost $200m.

It's more history repeating itself. 4 episodes of the Clone Wars as a movie.

MagicHappens1971

Four episodes would be $100m which sounds right for a Star Wars movie on the cheep. Remember Wish somehow cost $200m.

It's more history repeating itself. 4 episodes of the Clone Wars as a movie.
I mean…. Rise of Skywalker cost 400M+. Also respectfully, The Clone Wars animated film does not count as a Star Wars theatrical release.

MagicHappens1971

I mean…. Rise of Skywalker cost 400M+. Also respectfully, The Clone Wars animated film does not count as a Star Wars theatrical release.
And this is from Deadline.

“Disney spared no expense on Rise of Skywalker, with the finale reportedly the most expensive of the latter part of the trilogy with a $275M production cost and total global costs of $627M”

I’m assuming these figures include marketing costs

Phroobar

And this is from Deadline.

“Disney spared no expense on Rise of Skywalker, with the finale reportedly the most expensive of the latter part of the trilogy with a $275M production cost and total global costs of $627M”

I’m assuming these figures include marketing costs
Deadline is right. Forbes is completely wrong.

Last Jedi says $317m.
Force awakens $245m

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom