The Magic Of Disney Animation closing?

Jon81uk

Do you think they would add a temporary drawing class, maybe in the Sounds Dangerous theatre with lapboards for drawing? That way the number of attractions isn't dramatically reducing. Meet and Greets could go in the sound activities area on the exit of this theatre. Then in a few years once they have re-done the animation area it can move into a new theatre?

Next Big Thing

When California Adventure was redone, did they see as many things close before new things opened? It's one thing to close an area of the park to be redone but hopefully you have other stuff to do. Studios will be getting a major overhaul possibly bigger than DCA, but then, it is going to be very hard to justify to guests that it's worth their money to visit.
I don't think so. The expansion was announced in 2007, TSMM opened in 2008 I believe and then things started to happen in sections starting in 2009. Areas closing and then reopening with new attractions/areas.

In short, nothing like what is currently happening at DHS.

Next Big Thing

Pick a colour, any colour...

View attachment 98111

Every area that I've heard was considered for large-scale change over the last 3 years. No guarantee which will make the final chop. Other areas could be included but I can't personally confirm.

That's how potentially far-reaching and thorough the makeover could be. Note I said "could".
We can only wait and see at this point I guess. The park park desperately needs something like that type of redo though.

Thanks for all of your info @marni1971!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
The drawing classes were very popular at DQ and also at the Studios. With the closure of both venues I cant think of another place where they are. They will be missed.

I really enjoy the Disney character drawing classes; it's actually one of the highlights of DHS for me. You're probably correct in that if they close it, it will not reappear elsewhere. However, I can't help but wish that they might at least relocate it somewhere else in the park (although not sure where), because it's not like trying to move around a large ride/attraction for example. The Animation Academy section of the Magic of Animation attraction, is a fairly small studio only, and might fit into another spot at DHS. (Yet, I know, that probably will never happen . . . :()

Brer Panther

When California Adventure was redone, did they see as many things close before new things opened? It's one thing to close an area of the park to be redone but hopefully you have other stuff to do. Studios will be getting a major overhaul possibly bigger than DCA, but then, it is going to be very hard to justify to guests that it's worth their money to visit.

We seem to get the short end of the stick a lot, it seems...

On a side note, which attraction do you think is next on the chopping block? I'm betting Voyage of the Little Mermaid.

DsnyFevr

It's starting to push it. If you schedules your time right and did EVERY show and all the attractions it could be for a 1st timer or every other year person. But not for a second day of anyone's trip for sure. I am not one to say half a day park like others do but it's starting to head that way for me, as someone who likes characters and can't ride "scarier" rides. This will just lead more people to going to Magic Kingdom MORE, causing the same old congestion problems.
Very true or outside Disney all together. Every trip we do 2 days at MK, 2 at EP, 2 at HS and 1 at AK as not enough to do there either. Now since we can do everything in HS in 1 day I might just drop 2nd HS day and add a Universal Day. In Dec we're already doing 2 Universal days but I might add a 3rd as it's hard to fear all done there.

Figments Friend

I am equally sad that the Epcot that inspired her to travel to Europe for a whirlwind 16 day, 7 country trip, singing her way through the countries, is becoming a shadow of its former self. She auditioned for the Wisconsin Ambassadors Choir and was accepted. She was able to see the actual cultures and architecture she fell in love with at WDW.

WDW used to not only entertain, but inspire. I miss that.

You are not alone.
Don't get me started on my feelings regarding the current state of EPCOT, and how we lost much of it's previous balance of edutainment, inspiring experiences, and overall self-empowering presentation.

I feel exactly the same way - EPCOT of today is nothing like it's former self.
Back then, it had a completely different attitude and vibe.
Now it truly is a shadow of it's former greatness.

While i understand the need to keep things fresh and up to date for today's Guests, i don't necessarily agree with the direction the Company has taken with that particular Park.
I will just leave it at that...folks on this Forum already know my stance on the 'EPCOT issue'....
;)

Otterhead

Absolutely no loss at all in closing this empty shell of a building that once housed a wonderful branch of Feature Animation.
When the place was stripped of it*s active role in producing animated films there a few years ago, it became a depressing waste of space.

I remember a friend of mine -- a huge animation geek -- visiting during the tour/academy. He hung out at the windows, watching different animators, for awhile. Eventually a guy with a big mustache came over and asked why he'd been hanging around for awhile, and he explained that he was watching different techniques to pick up ideas for how to draw. The mustached guy introduced himself -- it was Andreas Deja. They just hung out and chatted for an hour or so. That's the kind of magical stuff that happened when the Animation tour was in full swing.

Figments Friend

I remember a friend of mine -- a huge animation geek -- visiting during the tour/academy. He hung out at the windows, watching different animators, for awhile. Eventually a guy with a big mustache came over and asked why he'd been hanging around for awhile, and he explained that he was watching different techniques to pick up ideas for how to draw. The mustached guy introduced himself -- it was Andreas Deja. They just hung out and chatted for an hour or so. That's the kind of magical stuff that happened when the Animation tour was in full swing.

What a great moment for your friend!
I am guessing this happened around the time 'Lilo & Stitch' was in production there, as he was assigned there for a time to animate 'Lilo' for the Florida team working on that film.

Thanks for sharing this story.
Yet another example of what experiences were lost when they closed the Animation Department there.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

I followed most of the project and best I can remember when things closed work started pretty quickly on the replacement.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom