The Magic Of Disney Animation closing?

brb1006

Original Poster
Looks like another thing is closing down at DHS soon.

Last edited by a moderator:

brb1006

Original Poster
I'm going to miss the Animation Academy so much. I remember asking a female Cm who worked at the Animation Academy and asked them if they ever did a class where they taught guests how to draw Marie or Duchess from The Aristocats. She said "Sorry no", but mentioned that they might do a class for those characters in the future. Sadly, this might never happen.

brb1006

Original Poster
Once this closes, they better open up real quick with some announcements of what's to come.
The Magic Of Disney Animation also brought out a few rare characters years ago. Such as Clarice from "Two Chips And A Miss". But I will really miss the Animation Academy the most.

Figments Friend

Absolutely no loss at all in closing this empty shell of a building that once housed a wonderful branch of Feature Animation.
When the place was stripped of it*s active role in producing animated films there a few years ago, it became a depressing waste of space.

I remember back when it was a very active department.
You could watch animators and cel painters do there things live and behind the glass windows....and get a sneak peek at a upcoming feature unfold in their own hands years before it was finished and released.
It was a unique experience and quite exciting if you were a fan of the art form, or just a artist in general, to watch them and explore the building.

After producing three stellar full length animated films at Feature Animation Florida ( Mulan, Lilo & Stitch, and Brother Bear ) and contributing to every feature from *Oliver & Company* afterwards until closing, it was a sad day when the plug was pulled.
People were in tears. I remember it well.

I*m still hurting over it.

Last edited:

ABQ

Absolutely no loss at all in closing this empty shell of a building that once housed a wonderful branch of Feature Animation.
When the place was stripped of it*s active role in producing animated films there a few years ago, it became a depressing waste of space.

I remember back when it was a very active department.
You could watch animators and cell painters do there things live and behind the glass windows....and get a sneak peek at a upcoming feature unfold in their own hands years before it was finished and released.
It was a unique experience and quite exciting if you were a fan of the art form, or just a artist in general, to watch them and explore the building.

After producing three stellar full length animated films at Feature Animation Florida ( Mulan, Lilo & Stitch, and Brother Bear ) and contributing to every feature from *Oliver & Company* afterwards until closing, it was a sad day when the plug was pulled.
People were in tears. I remember it well.

I*m still hurting over it.
I agree completely. And though it's not animation, it's too bad that there's no way on stage to get the view of the wardrobe department that the backlot tour drove through, as those folks still work their butts off over there in a busy environment and after getting up close inside the building with the backstage magic tour, it's quite an impressive operation they still have there currently.

ThemeParkJunkee

My daughter became an animator/illustrator because of the Animation Studio at MGM. During the Q&A with an animator, she asked how to become one. He told her to study fine arts in college and draw every day. She took his advice and ran with it. She was eleven and drew every day. Now she is 27, has a Master's degree, works at a game company and still draws every day.

Figments Friend

I agree completely. And though it's not animation, it's too bad that there's no way on stage to get the view of the wardrobe department that the backlot tour drove through, as those folks still work their butts off over there in a busy environment and after getting up close inside the building with the backstage magic tour, it's quite an impressive operation they still have there currently.

Yes! Those windows always revealed some delectable goodies to see.
There were often times *pieces of the Parks* viewable through the windows when one passed by on the Tour Tram.

I remember when the interior of The Land Pavilion over at EPCOT was being refreshed, and someone noticed the old *hot air balloons* being refurbished by that department.
Caused quite a lot of excitement in the fan community then.

Perhaps this is one of the reasons why that area is no longer a space viewable by day Guests.
Disney needed to *plug that hole* that was leaking...
;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom