The Little Mermaid Attraction Headed to MK?

Enigma

Account Suspended
I have to wonder how much time 9/11 set theme park additions and refurbs back earlier in the decade? If I remember, leisure travel plummeted for at least 18 months following the disaster causing projects to be shelved.

9/11 slowed things down sure but the biggest problem in the late 90s-early 00s was the Strategic Planning group inside Disney who would block projects left and right to keep costs down and only spend the bear minimum on refreshing the parks and even than additions had to drive increases in dining and shopping.

DisneyNeighbor

This is a different Disney than years ago. If they are planning to spend 1 billion at DCA to get more people to the park. How much are they going to spend to counter Potter and other spending by Sea World. If Potter turns out to be successful for Universal look at some serious spending to counter that. WDW has always been agressive to keep several steps ahead of the orlando crowd.

jedimaster1227

Like the big Imagination refurb everyone was getting all excited about 2 years ago this is not gonna happen sorry.

Nemo is the reason for the delay there. It went overbudget and dipped into what was being saved for Imagination. That is not an issue anymore. So, not to worry... Just have patience and you'll see some dreams found sooner or later... :animwink:

JLW11Hi

Nemo is the reason for the delay there. It went overbudget and dipped into what was being saved for Imagination. That is not an issue anymore. So, not to worry... Just have patience and you'll see some dreams found sooner or later... :animwink:

Beautiful!

It will be a wonderful day when each of the pavillions at Future World are doing their part to pull in the crowds!

tirian

To backup Lee,Marni,and some others here including myself.There is also a little thing called nondisclosure that I,and others have been made to agree to, and have signed my name to that fact,that does not allow information to be shared until it has been"greenlighted". I enjoy working for Disney and wish to continue doing so.

Yep. :)

Many of us enjoy talking to people who love the parks about the resorts, but we've got to stay within that legal agreement.

EDIT: ^^I'm speaking generally here. I'm not trying to imply that I know a whole lot about the Mermaid attraction for the MK; frankly, I don't.

TP2000

After spending 10 years on Internet websites devoted to Disney theme parks, I have learned to be very skeptical when people start talking about big plans that are more than 18 months out.

And it sounds like all of the big plans for WDW are years and years out. The basic scenario for all of these big budget rides for WDW seem to be "If this happens, and this pans out, and then this goes well, and Universal does this, then maybe in 5 to 7 years something might get greenlit for this park." Uh, okay, talk about vague. Check back in the year 2014 folks, and there might be an update for the next E Ticket at Animal Kingdom. :cool:

In the meantime, I think it would be best to focus on what Disney has actually announced will be happening in the next four years. And it seems that all of that stuff is happening in DCA. Is there any new ride currently being prepped for construction at WDW? Disney hasn't mentioned any new rides coming to WDW post-Midway Mania.

Since WDW seems to lack an Al Lutz that can spill the beans months and months before Disney announces something, is there anything at all rumored to begin construction in 2008 or 2009 at WDW? :confused:

wannab@dis

:lol:

Answer for everything... it's Nemo now, huh? But at least you've learned your lesson and have stopped putting the dates out there.

Hey, I got sources too. They told me that sooner or later every attraction at WDW will have a refurb. :brick:

jt04

:lol:

Answer for everything... it's Nemo now, huh? But at least you've learned your lesson and have stopped putting the dates out there.

Hey, I got sources too. They told me that sooner or later every attraction at WDW will have a refurb. :brick:

Oh boy, let go of your anger before you turn to the dark side young padawan.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
After spending 10 years on Internet websites devoted to Disney theme parks, I have learned to be very skeptical when people start talking about big plans that are more than 18 months out.

And it sounds like all of the big plans for WDW are years and years out. The basic scenario for all of these big budget rides for WDW seem to be "If this happens, and this pans out, and then this goes well, and Universal does this, then maybe in 5 to 7 years something might get greenlit for this park." Uh, okay, talk about vague. Check back in the year 2014 folks, and there might be an update for the next E Ticket at Animal Kingdom. :cool:

In the meantime, I think it would be best to focus on what Disney has actually announced will be happening in the next four years. And it seems that all of that stuff is happening in DCA. Is there any new ride currently being prepped for construction at WDW? Disney hasn't mentioned any new rides coming to WDW post-Midway Mania.

Since WDW seems to lack an Al Lutz that can spill the beans months and months before Disney announces something, is there anything at all rumored to begin construction in 2008 or 2009 at WDW? :confused:
That is a good way to be even if you are talking directly to the imagineer in charge of the project. Nothing is ever official until stuff starts getting built and even then it is still not 100% (ie The Legendary years)

dxwwf3

Nemo is the reason for the delay there. It went overbudget and dipped into what was being saved for Imagination.

If true, at least the money was well used. If all character additions were up to that quality, I think many of us around here would be much more optimistic when those things are announced. With that said, the Submarine Voyage is a home run in every aspect: Nostalgia for those of us that care about that, wonderful nods to the previous attraction, great technology, fun for the entire family, etc.

socalkdg

If true, at least the money was well used. If all character additions were up to that quality, I think many of us around here would be much more optimistic when those things are announced. With that said, the Submarine Voyage is a home run in every aspect: Nostalgia for those of us that care about that, wonderful nods to the previous attraction, great technology, fun for the entire family, etc.
I've been on the Subs three times, Nemo at Epcot three times. Great job on both. The line at Epcot is amazing. Riding in the subs even more amazing. Only change would be adding more(a few additional fish here and there) into the main bay when you first leave the dock.

I'd like to see two different que's for the rides. DCA's building is supposedly going to be a Monterey style, early 20th century aquarium, and I'd hope the inside line would carry on the aquarium theme. Maybe include a small transition scene at the beginning such as getting on a boat to go whale watching before entering the world of the little mermaid and her story. For the MK I'd go with something whimsical that might resemble in style the line for the Seas with Nemo and go directly into the story. They would be clones, but still offer something for someone that visits both parks.

krankenstein

American Idol is the only thing that has been announced. If I remember right, January 2009 is when it is expected to open. Nothing new after that, but we have heard many rumbles that stuff is planned (family coaster at DHS, Star Tours 2, Little Mermaid etc).

American Idol is the only thing that has been announced. If I remember right, January 2009 is when it is expected to open. Nothing new after that, but we have heard many rumbles that stuff is planned (family coaster at DHS, Star Tours 2, Little Mermaid etc).
As well as the Imagination redo and a few other projects. I wonder why Disney is holding off on the announcements. Are they planning on announcing them all at the same time to really get people excited about Walt Disney World?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Nemo is the reason for the delay there. It went overbudget and dipped into what was being saved for Imagination..
Dipped? More like plundered! And in the long run, it'll be for the better Imag v4 was robbed :)
I can guarentee you will never see Journey to the center of the earth and a ride like TDS's 20k in WDW. I would bet money on it.
As mentioned, keep your money to yourself ;)

dxwwf3

And in the long run, it'll be for the better Imag v4 was robbed :)

:sohappy:

I'm just glad to hear that the wheels are turning on an update to the attraction. I'm sure we'll have to wait a while, but as long as discussions keep going on, then it is a good sign.

jt04

As well as the Imagination redo and a few other projects. I wonder why Disney is holding off on the announcements. Are they planning on announcing them all at the same time to really get people excited about Walt Disney World?

Here is what I am watching for:

1) ground breaking behind the new Fantasyland DVC kiosk
2) the closure of Imagination
3) construction equipment behind the Japan pavilion
4) track in the pluto parking lot
5) soundstage 1 at DHS being blocked off by construction walls (after SW Weekends)
6) any new construction walls in CMM at AK
7) the closure of Star Tours

So then we don't need any announcements just observant CM's and guests who post to WDWMagic.com

oh yeah.....

8) hopefully a construction wall around that dreaded hat (or should I say deconstruction wall) What better gift could they give for WDW's 40th?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom