The Little Mermaid Attraction Headed to MK?

primetime52

It looks like its becoming a pattern for Disney to make less and less "one park only" rides. They probably do this because building duplicate attractions for Cali and FL saves them money. TSM is an example, plus I'm sure if MK still had a Sub Lagoon, they probably wouldve gotten Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage instead of the crappy Epcot dark ride version.

imamouse

Hmmm....the back of Fantasyland - as in the big hole that was filled in a few years ago perhaps?

This is interesting and makes sense - dollars and cents, to clone attractions. I can't say I'm disappointed as at least the MK will be getting something new [throws salt over shoulder].

tirian

Duplicates have always been common in similar parks. It has less to do with saving money than it does to bring good attractions to as many Guests as possible, since most of them aren't fanboys that visit every park and whine about clones. This Mermaid rumor has been thrown around for at least two years. We'll see if it happens.

Incidentally, the Epcot version of Nemo is considered superior. You can actually see the show scenes.

Edit: I just read the blog mentioned in the OP, and while I agree that the resorts need unique attractions, I'd like to point out that the Magic Kingdom parks have always been "McParks" that feature various versions of the same attractions. I'm personally more annoyed that our "unique" ending to SSE exists in DL's Innoventions as touch-screen kiosks. :)

JLW11Hi

It looks like its becoming a pattern for Disney to make less and less "one park only" rides. They probably do this because building duplicate attractions for Cali and FL saves them money. TSM is an example, plus I'm sure if MK still had a Sub Lagoon, they probably wouldve gotten Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage instead of the crappy Epcot dark ride version.

On one hand I feel this does the company more bad than good, because it gives people less reason to visit both resorts. But I suppose if a family makes multiple trips to Disney, it probably doesn't matter which resort they choose to go to.

I always feel "oh, another clone". But if its a good attraction, I usually end up forgeting about the clone issue and just enjoy the ride.

primetime52

plus, if you're a huge Disney nerd like I am, you still want to visit the other parks so that you can ride the clones and look for the subtle differences that set them apart from your home version.

tirian

What is the ride supposed to be like? Please tell me its the ride shown on the little mermaid dvd that was never built.. that was awesome.

No, the ride shown on the DVD is merely a D ticket. The attraction going into DCA is more of an "E"; it's closer to the new TSMM at the Studios, which has been described as a "D+."

JLW11Hi

Duplicates have always been common in similar parks. It has less to do with saving money than it does to bring good attractions to as many Guests as possible, since most of them aren't fanboys that visit every park and whine about clones.

I'm not so sure I agree that its only message board fan boys that worry about clones, though. There are may families that trust the Disney name and might choose to go to Disneyland after going to WDW, or vice versa, and find out that many of the same attractions are there as well. I doubt it would ruin their vacation though.

(Personally, I think Disneyland is well worth visiting on its own and has enough differences from MK and WDW as a whole to enjoy on its own right. The same could not be said for DCA at one point in time, but hopefully that changes)

Figment571

I totally agree. I actually have a rant one here somewhere from long ago about rides being imported and exported. IT is kinda ridiculous.

tirian

I'm not so sure I agree that its only message board fan boys that worry about clones, though. There are may families that trust the Disney name and might choose to go to Disneyland after going to WDW, or vice versa, and find out that many of the same attractions are there as well. I doubt it would ruin their vacation though.

It's expected with the MK-style parks.

(Personally, I think Disneyland is well worth visiting on its own and has enough differences from MK and WDW as a whole to enjoy on its own right. The same could not be said for DCA at one point in time, but hopefully that changes)

It's changing, but DCA will never replace Epcot as the Greatest Second Gate in America. :sohappy: (It's almost impossible to compare Epcot to Tokyo DisneySea; they're just too different, with neither really being better than the other.)

yankspy

I totally agree. I actually have a rant one here somewhere from long ago about rides being imported and exported. IT is kinda ridiculous.
Are not some of the earlier attractions somewhat clones? I am just saying that this does not seem to be something new.

WaltsApprentice

Are not some of the earlier attractions somewhat clones? I am just saying that this does not seem to be something new.

Many People forget that. Our Pirates is very much a clone orginally they weren't going to add it since FL is so close to caribbean. So the cloned it and brought it over to us. And when we created the country bears they took that idea and cloned it in DLR...to later be replaced by our Clone of Winnie the Pooh. It's been going around since the begining of WDW, people need to get over it. I think Its fine...so I its just as great...because it's cheaper for me to go to WDW than to DLR!:)

Fun2BFree

Indeed, can you imagine a WDW without PotC, HM, IASW, BTMR, the Railroad, or countless other 'Disneyland-firsts'? Indeed, the very layout and design of DL was more-or-less cloned.

dxwwf3

Incidentally, the Epcot version of Nemo is considered superior. You can actually see the show scenes.

By who? They aren't even in the same league, IMO. Epcot's is a nice little dark ride, but the Submarine Voyage is one of the best things Disney has done since the Golden Age in the mid 90's. To me, it is like comparing Splash Mountain with Snow White's Scary Adventures :shrug:

Laura

Premium Member
I'd be happy to have a nice big ride in Fantasyland to eat up some of the people in line for Dumbo and Peter Pan.

jt04

This ride is set to be on the scale of Splash, Pirates, HM etc. from what I have heard. I don't see any way that it would be kept unique at DCA only. I know BlueSkyDisney does not like the idea (or probably any other DLR fans) but I didn't hear any complaints when they got Space Mountain or ToT. Sorry but this is a perfect fit for Fantasyland at WDW. It was mentioned that the MK has not gotten an E Ticket since 1992. But that really is not the question. The real question is, When did Fantasyland at WDW get a new E Ticket? The answer is never. But it has lost one! And the MK needs something quick for the 40th Anniversary, so this seems to me to be a good solution. :)

jakeman

By who? They aren't even in the same league, IMO. Epcot's is a nice little dark ride, but the Submarine Voyage is one of the best things Disney has done since the Golden Age in the mid 90's. To me, it is like comparing Splash Mountain with Snow White's Scary Adventures :shrug:
I think I'm going to disagree here. The rides appear to be essentially the same. The only difference is the delivery method (i.e. sub vs. shell). While the subs do definately have a wow factor to them, it does hinder the actually experience of the show itself.

I would personally say it is a wash. The Epcot version gets the story across better, but DL has a better delivery method (if that makes sense).

Oh, and just so I'm on topic, this will be a great addition and I have no qualms with it being in two places. This has been a common practice at Disney since there were two parks.

jmmc

Sorry, folks, but I just like to see new rides appear. Seems like an OK idea to have park-specific rides that everyone doesn't get to see in their area, but a few different rides are not going to make me head to Disneyland. I'd like to eventually visit DL, but there's no single ride that would play a part in my decision to go.

Business wise, maybe it's a better idea, but I rarely go to the parks and worry myself about Disney's financial interests. Though I guess I would admit that having DCA simply have the same rides you can find at MK or the Studios doesn't make that much sense...

KingMickey

In the Parks
Yes
I'm happy that The Little Mermaid attraction is coming to WDW. I'm not for cloning, but if you have an amazing attraction, shouldn't all the parks be able to receive its greatness.

Yes, it will lack originality for the park and the attraction itself, but just because it's in another park doesn't mean that people should look at it as a clone. What next? People are gonna be angry because every MK park has a castle? Cloning is a routine formed for every Disney park and as new ideas come out, cloned attractions will continue. It will most likely never end.

But the ride is a perfect fit for MK. It has it's own little area right next to Ariel's Grotto. It's kinda cool how it sorta forms a mini Little Mermaid themed land back there.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom