The Land: Update. Like it or hate it. . . here it is:

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Lee said:
That's easy....
Because it isn't going to be a "travel pavillion" any more than Universe of Energy is a "Jeopardy" pavillion.

Its as Jeopardy a pavilion in everything but name - compared to the original make over idea before Ellen was decided upon.

speck76

General Grizz said:
Gotta admit the opening Kaleidescope sequence was *outstanding*.

Overall, the attraction was too academic to the average guest....

1 part of the attraction does not make the attraction great....

figmentfan

Who was talking negative about Figment? NEVER talk BAD about the Figment!

He is the symbol of Epcot, or was back in the day where everybody wore Figment hats. I miss those. Has anybody seen the kid wearing the retro Figment hat on the pre-show to Body Wars.........................

Back to the topic, Figment fit in perfectlyto the theming of Epcot! Imagination!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Without the imagination, all of Epcot, or all of Disney existence wouldn't be. Think if Walt Disney never created Mickey Mouse or Oswald the rabbit? We wouldn't be having this discussion. Figment helps sparks the imagination. Just like the song......One little spark, of inspiration. That's how are minds, create creations........(everybody sing along)..................
:)

Mariposa

Just adding my general .02... While I love Living With the Land and Circle of Life, I agree that the pavilion could really use a rehab. I wasn't a big fan of the fountain or the balloons, although with some updating they'd be fine.. However, the travel agency idea? I'll withhold judgment- I think it could work out wonderfully, but it could also be horrible.

Seriously, though, while I don't think Walt would approve of Chester and Hester over at AK, I don't think he meant for any aspect of the park to be frozen in time.. and the current Land interior has passed its prime, IMHO.

trdisneyfan

Uh, does anyone else find it ironic that they're "updating" this pavillion with the relatively dead concept of a travel agency? Seriously, haven't travel agencies all but disappeared since the advent of online travel booking like Expedia and Travelocity?

Soarin: Good.
Travel Agency Theme: not so good.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
speck76 said:
Oh yeah....the original was so entertaining :rolleyes:

Never said it was. You misunderstand - the makeover planned OF the original was looking more like a T2:3D environment. Then they chose the Ellen route.

speck76

trdisneyfan said:
Uh, does anyone else find it ironic that they're "updating" this pavillion with the relatively dead concept of a travel agency? Seriously, haven't travel agencies all but disappeared since the advent of online travel booking like Expedia and Travelocity?

Soarin: Good.
Travel Agency Theme: not so good.

No, travel agencies have not disappeared, they have evolved. Expedia and the like are no more than online travel agencies. Still, with the 8 hotels that I manage, Expedia and the like only account for about 3% of our total bookings, traditional travel agencies account for about 9% of our bookings.....the rest come through our own channels.

Interesting note, although our own websites account for about 18% of our bookings, many people are still not comfortable booking online.....they will research online, and then call to make a reservation.

EpcotFanatic04

I'm SO DEPRESSED that Epcot has decayed drastically lately. No Wonders of Life, a soon to be ruined Land and a mostly vacant Odyseey building.

I'm scared to say it, but what if the Land cannot be saved?

amejr999

*sarcasm* Now I know how much everyone here trusts Screamscape */sarcasm*, but they posted this interesting info:

"Our latest tidbit of news about this cloned ride claims that the WDW version will be themed as an airport terminal instead of the historical aviation hanger theme of the DCA version. Like a real airport, guests will pass through a security check point on their way to the briefing." (Emphasis mine.)

What's the purpose of this? No need to remind people more than necessary about the outside world. Save the $$ and use it on paint.

diddy_mouse

i know i have been out of the loop for quite some time on the issue, but did manage to catch something on the Travel Channel about WDW and "Soarin'" i was quite amazed that i missed that construction for one...unless it hadn't started in may, or was in its infant stages.

Bagheera

amejr999 said:
*sarcasm* Now I know how much everyone here trusts Screamscape */sarcasm*, but they posted this interesting info:

"Our latest tidbit of news about this cloned ride claims that the WDW version will be themed as an airport terminal instead of the historical aviation hanger theme of the DCA version. Like a real airport, guests will pass through a security check point on their way to the briefing." (Emphasis mine.)

What's the purpose of this? No need to remind people more than necessary about the outside world. Save the $$ and use it on paint.
I'm guessing that Lance had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek on that one.

Figments Friend

Arrgh! No please!!

No more "thrill rides" at Epcot!! It's ruining the place!

I happened across some of my old park brocheres from 1984 and became all melencholy seeing all the grand attractions their USED to be there...most of them have been thrashed and replaced with "thrills" instead of wonders.

I'm a Epcot Center "purists" i guess.....bring on new updated Omnimover type spectaculars and leave the thrills for Universal to deliver. They do a better job at it anyway from what i hear...and besides, if i wanted fast thrills i would go there! But Disney...well, for me it is completely different. Bring on the AA Shows!!! Woo-Hoo!!!!

Oh and by the way Grizz, thanks so much for introducing me to this fantastic forum...i've learned a lot and i love reading everyones opinions on everything!

Lynx04

Figments Friend said:
Arrgh! No please!!

No more "thrill rides" at Epcot!! It's ruining the place!

I happened across some of my old park brocheres from 1984 and became all melencholy seeing all the grand attractions their USED to be there...most of them have been thrashed and replaced with "thrills" instead of wonders.

I'm a Epcot Center "purists" i guess.....bring on new updated Omnimover type spectaculars and leave the thrills for Universal to deliver. They do a better job at it anyway from what i hear...and besides, if i wanted fast thrills i would go there! But Disney...well, for me it is completely different. Bring on the AA Shows!!! Woo-Hoo!!!!

Oh and by the way Grizz, thanks so much for introducing me to this fantastic forum...i've learned a lot and i love reading everyones opinions on everything!

Unfortunitly, it is too late. If you look at Epcot now you see 80 min lines for TT, 45 for MS and walk on for UOE; even figment had nobody in line for the attraction. When you have a park that disproportionate there is a proplem that needs to be addressed. Now I am not saying that every ride that is not pulling in at least 30 min lines should be tossed, however, these attractions are suppose be the they big attractions in the park. These aren't the little side attractions that you just go when it is crowded and you trying to escape the crowds, but they for the most part haven't really done that either. Most people that go on these rides are either first timers, purists, or someone who hasn't been on it in 5 years. The countries are suppose to be the escape from the long lines, not UOE and Figment. I already posted what I think will happen once Soarin opens at the bottom of this thread http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?p=777134#post777134.

J.J.

The Land is one of my favorite pavillions. The Garden Grill is a must "eat" for my wife and I. And Living With The Land is always a great way to relax. But soarin will add a great new attraction to this tired place. But I guess I am really confused on how it would all tie in without the TA overlay to the pavillion. I guess we will have to wait and see.

JJ

Jefferson1964

Land

Im heading to WDW next week and will be going to the land area. I personally think its one of the most boring areas of all of WDW, however, the food court is really great and usually crowd free. Its time for an update but to a travel agency is really strange. However, the way disney does things it will probably turn out good and bring more people to this attraction.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom