The Land: Update. Like it or hate it. . . here it is:

speck76

Part of the problem (not MY problem, just a problem I see with others) is that the message of Soarin' is not "in-your-face" symbiosis/THE LAND. It actually requires one to think about the interactions that man has with The Land.

This is more than some people can handle.....I am sure many would be more satisfied with a narration during the ride explaining everything to them.

CTXRover

speck76 said:
This is more than some people can handle.....I am sure many would be more satisfied with a narration during the ride explaining everything to them.

I know some of the critics of Soarin' before it even opened here suggested that. To me, that would ruin the experience, not enhance it. Let the land speak for itself....its the whole idea of "Listen to the Land" isn't it? Don't tell me about it. Let me appreciate its beauty...and Soarin' does that for guests for the first time in the pavilion's history.

Shaman

speck76 said:
Part of the problem (not MY problem, just a problem I see with others) is that the message of Soarin' is not "in-your-face" symbiosis/THE LAND. It actually requires one to think about the interactions that man has with The Land.

People soar over the LAND...if that doesn't fit...well then I don't know what will...

I liked the over all experience...

AEfx

While of course anyone with sense will reserve final judgement until they've seen it in person, I have to say from what I've seen I don't think I'm going to be disapointed. I think a couple of the carpets are ugly, but once I found out that that's where the dining tables are it makes sense (will be hard to detect spills, LOL) and won't be as bad when they are done. But besides that, I don't think the original Land had very impressive theming to begin with. I will miss the fountain, only because I enjoy fountains, but the area does appear much more open because of it.

Now, if they had done something to the ride, it would be an entirely other matter - but the redecoration of something that wasn't heavily decorated in the first place isn't a huge blow. The loss of Kitchen Kaberet isn't that great - especially since the message in many ways was outdated. It tried to teach the 1960's-1980's government-sanctioned version of nutriton where carbs are good and vegitarians were wacko (and pretended that everyone had the same nutritional needs). And I don't see Nestle, of all companies, putting up the money for something that has to do with "nutrition" anyway.

I'll see it in a couple of weeks (probably more than I want, waiting in line for Soarin', LOL). IMHO, the addition of Soarin' and it's accompanying theme far outweighs some 70's looking retro tan-blahness that was dated when it premiered.

AEfx

speck76

CTXRover said:
I know some of the critics of Soarin' before it even opened here suggested that. To me, that would ruin the experience, not enhance it. Let the land speak for itself....its the whole idea of "Listen to the Land" isn't it? Don't tell me about it. Let me appreciate its beauty...and Soarin' does that for guests for the first time in the pavilion's history.

I could not agree more......

Lee

Adventurer
Just got back from AP previews and wanted to give my 2 cents...

I LOVE IT!
All of it.

Soarin' I have loved since riding it at DCA..nothing new here...as I overheard several guests saying "That's the best ride in the park."

The Land...beautiful.
5 stars to WDI for a magnificent upgrade to a stale pavillion. I couldn't be happier.

:sohappy:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I will have to agree with Lee. Every thing about the Land refurb it first class. I can’t wait for the new restaurants to open.

Tara Mae

To all that quoted me and commented:

Yes, it's true, I haven't seen it in person yet, and I won't until July 2007. Maybe by then I will have a different view, I'm not going to be closed minded about this. Trust me, if I like it when I go then, I'll come back and tell y'all. ;)
I guess being I have gone to Disney around 21 times, I'm used to the original atmosphere, family friendly and all. It's hard for me to see change...hard for me to see change I think will only bring forth a negative opinion.
Yes, the majority here on this forum like it, but I've met quite a few elsewhere that share my views.
That's all they are, opinions. If you don't like it, so be it. I'm just voicing out.
Okay, said my part. Now to wait for retorts. *replies, that is. :)*

And if you would like to know my reasonings for disliking anything, just ask.
I won't tell unless I'm posed the question of such.

PhotoDave219

Change is good for the company if it improves the guest experience and improves attendance and gets guests to come back. In this case, adding Soarin is a no-brainer when it comes to improving the guest expereince.

figmentfan

Please don't judge something if you have not seen it yet?.........

All of the AP and DVC previewing the new Land and Soarin (including me), were very happy at the progress that Disney has made on The Land Pavilion and Soarin. Each of the attractions and restaurants helps you understand the themeing of the Land and with the overall objective of the Land Pavilion:

1. Garden Grill and the Seasons help you "taste" the Land.

2. Living With the Land speaks for itself, helps you "live" with the Land.

3. Circle of Life helps you "save" the Land through environmental concerns and solutions.

4. Soarin helps you "see" the Land in its most BEAUTIFUL scenes on earth.

Please give The Land Pavilion a chance. I think it is one of the best pavilions now, and a good place to spend over 3 to 4 hours (get out of the rain or sun). Enjoy the Land and all its attractions, old or new! :)

dxwwf3

figmentfan said:
1. Garden Grill and the Seasons help you "taste" the Land.

2. Living With the Land speaks for itself, helps you "live" with the Land.

3. Circle of Life helps you "save" the Land through environmental concerns and solutions.

4. Soarin helps you "see" the Land in its most BEAUTIFUL scenes on earth.

Disney should use this in their promotional work. Well done.

Lynx04 said:
Unfortunitly, it is too late. If you look at Epcot now you see 80 min lines for TT, 45 for MS and walk on for UOE; even figment had nobody in line for the attraction. When you have a park that disproportionate there is a proplem that needs to be addressed. Now I am not saying that every ride that is not pulling in at least 30 min lines should be tossed, however, these attractions are suppose be the they big attractions in the park. These aren't the little side attractions that you just go when it is crowded and you trying to escape the crowds, but they for the most part haven't really done that either. Most people that go on these rides are either first timers, purists, or someone who hasn't been on it in 5 years. The countries are suppose to be the escape from the long lines, not UOE and Figment. I already posted what I think will happen once Soarin opens at the bottom of this thread http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?p=777134#post777134.

A couple of problems with this whole thrill rides do more argument:

1. When compared to the capacity of thrill v. non-thrill, the non-thrill put more people through than the thrill, that is why you have such long waits for the supposedly superior thrill rides over the much better theme rides.

2. Seeing how TT, for one, breaks down constantly and closes due to any threat of sprinkle, you can see why these seeming long lines give the ILLUSION that they are more popular than the theme attractions. TT will be dead and gone in less than ten years (Thankfully), but the classic like SSE will still draw masses in even without any small enhancements.

3. Too many of the thrill rides just don't have the magic that the classic slow theme attractions have, because you never see anything new when you ride them again and they weren't put together with a theme that fits in with everything else or a great enough story line or great enough music, etc. Therefore, many of the new thrill rides don't have the staying power that the classic theme attractions have.

figmentfan said:
WHY??????????????????????

That is my question, why change something that has been working for so many years? The Living With the Land ride always has a 15+ minute wait, and the Sunshine Food Fair always is packed. So why change a GOOD pavilion just because of a e-ticket attraction? Make the e-ticket attraction look like "The Land."

Here's an idea, make soarin look like back in the early 1900s with the Wright Brothers. Make the queue like a barn and farm, with the Wright Brothers AAs talking about flight, and then usher people onto the ride. That would help the themeing of the Soarin into the Land.

Here is another example of Disney destroying something good for short-term gains. Why destroy Mr. Toads to make Pooh, when you had 20,000 Leagues Lagoon sitting there for 10 years. Fill in the Lagoon and build the Pooh attraction where the Lagoon was, and don't touch Mr. Toad.

Add to, don't subtract! Disney likes to take away instead of adding to. Horizons and M:S together, World of Motion and TT, wow, Epcot would be my favorite park!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bring back Mr. Toads, and make it like the Roger Rabbit ride at Disneyland.

Thanks for letting me vent my anger. I feel better now. :)

Wow that took like 5 seconds to come up with something better than what they've done! It's amazing what a little imagination could do for imaginnering! :D

hakunamatata said:
I think that I have devised a way that we can have the best of both worlds. A new attraction at the land, and all the past rides that WDW has decided to remove.

It will be called: "Soarin over all the good rides and attractions that WDW management has removed without good purpose and with no respect to tradition".

The title may be a bit cumbersome, but I think they can still get it on a tradeable pin..........

:lol: :lol: :lol:

To add to an earlier post about thrill v. theme attractions:

4. The theme attractions like Journey and Energy and Seas have suffered from the destruction of the entire theme to Future World with the loss of Motion and Horizons and Communicore. Future World lost its theme about what the future holds for us and what we're doing to get there. Every pavillion tied in with every other pavillion and they were all connected via SSE. Now what? FUTURE WORLD to be renamed THRILL WORLD ? :hurl:

Gregory

I personally am split on this topic...

I both like it, and dont like it...

I think the design is nice. I personally love it. But, I think that it doesn't exactly go with "The Land". Metal trees? Metal rails? If its "The Land", shouldn't it be a bit more earthy? Such as real trees?

Like I said- the design is great. And, the seasons theme is very symbolic, which I liked. But, like I've said before, it would make a good airport. Maybe not so much a good "The Land."

From what I've heard, Soarin' is amazing. Defantly a great addition (though, a new, more relevant video would be good).

Overall? I guess the airport idea kinda works. But, I would personally like to see less metal and more wood. The Land looks way to sterile.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom