The Land: Update. Like it or hate it. . . here it is:

CTXRover

Hyperion, that was a terrific post. I couldn't say it better myself. I 100% agree with everything you have said. The new look and style of the pavilion is just wonderful, imo. Gone is a show about nutrition (what did this have to do with the Land in the first place?) and a farmer's market style food court. In its place is a one of a kind experience to fly over and appreciate the beauty and majesty of the landscapes and a food court, although very modern and sleek in style, that focuses on the four seasons, an integral player in the landscape and how we interact with it. Not only are the stations presenting food that try and "reflect" a season, but the seating areas also reflect them in a modern, bright and bold fashion.

The only thing I say was a downgrade was the loss of the fountain and a more themed food court front. But the brighter, airier, lighter and more modern look help to make up for that.

I can appreciate and understand the "airport" critiques, but honestly that isn't the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw the photos (and I'll pass judgement again when I see it in person). I think WDI did a very nice job.

General Grizz

Original Poster
CTXRover said:
Gone is a show about nutrition (what did this have to do with the Land?)

CTX... The Land was based on man's interaction with nature (symbiosis) and food production. Hence, the focus on Listen/Living to/with the Land (working with nature to create food) and the emphasis on food (two major restaurants)! Good nutrition fit in the Land as it was a pavilion half-based on food production (I didn't like Food Rocks. Kitchen Kabaret was far superior, IMHO, which celebrates the products of symbiosis more than a touristy travel agency).

This is why a food company sponsors the Land, not an airline.

speck76

General Grizz said:
CTX... The Land was based on man's interaction with nature (symbiosis) and food production. Hence, the focus on Listen/Living to/with the Land (working with nature to create food) and the emphasis on food (two major restaurants)! Good nutrition fit in the Land as it was a pavilion half-based on food production (I didn't like Food Rocks. Kitchen Kabaret was far superior, IMHO, which celebrates the products of symbiosis more than a touristy travel agency).

It was Kraft's idea, not WDI's, to have a section focused on nutrition.

So, the focus on nutrition was due to the sponsor, the sponsor was not due to the focus on nutrition.

CTXRover

General Grizz said:

I suppose, but I find Soarin' a far superior attraction that better complements the land than a small show that was meant to teach what to and what not to eat. I have minimal memories of KK, but Food Rocks did NOTHING to show or tell us about how man interacts with nature to create these foods. It was solely about what was good to eat and what was not. A show like that is much better suited for the WOL pavilion. I find it difficult to see the obvious connection to the Land that Soarin' has.

The new style of the pavilion will get its critics, no doubt. The more modern and brighter look vs the darker more "natural" look is a warranted criticism, but the new look is just so much more modern and almost inviting looking. Overall, I find it an improvement.

dxwwf3

That reminds me of something. How is that Land tribute video coming along Grizz? I remember hearing you trying to get some footage together before it closed up for the rehab. Any news on that?

General Grizz

Original Poster
dxwwf3 said:
That reminds me of something. How is that Land tribute video coming along Grizz? I remember hearing you trying to get some footage together before it closed up for the rehab. Any news on that?
You bet. :D

I am waiting to take footage of the current versoin of the Land. I feel I captured the spirit of the '94-'05 version... and we'll play around a bit. :)

ChrisH9339

While a lot of these posts are well-thought out and probably on par with what Walt's original vision was... there aren't a lot of people like him left in the world, and definitely not running his company. Soarin' (and the expanded food area therein) will bring crowds to the Land like it has never seen... and given the nearly an hour wait for Soarin just for AP Holders today, I'll say the goal of the retheming of the Land is to get more people inside it, and thus inside Epcot and thus more money in the bank. That goal will be accomplished, the vision of the original Imagineers be damned.

I may be wrong, but all I know is I love Soarin and the new Land... and for those who don't, just stay off Soarin so that's one less person I have to wait behind! :)

General Grizz

Original Poster
ChrisH9339 said:
While a lot of these posts are well-thought out and probably on par with what Walt's original vision was... there aren't a lot of people like him left in the world, and definitely not running his company. Soarin' (and the expanded food area therein) will bring crowds to the Land like it has never seen... and given the nearly an hour wait for Soarin just for AP Holders today, I'll say the goal of the retheming of the Land is to get more people inside it, and thus inside Epcot and thus more money in the bank. That goal will be accomplished, the vision of the original Imagineers be damned.

I may be wrong, but all I know is I love Soarin and the new Land... and for those who don't, just stay off Soarin so that's one less person I have to wait behind! :)
Oh, now that was naughty. :D

Tara Mae

The Land.

Hate it.

Looking back at the original Pavillion, I wish to cry.
I'm not complaining about the addition of "Soarin"", as I feel I will enjoy it, but why at the Land? It really doesn't, or didn't, fit into the Earth based Pavillion.
Now it does, b/c they altered the theme.
Travel Agency? What the heck? Why?
Soarin' is overtaking what the Pavillion was meant to be. A celebration of the cycles of the Earth. Yeah, yeah, the balloons are back, whoo-hoo. They no longer symbolize such. They might mean to, but they don't.

The replacement of the Seasons eating area is a fault. They had a great place to eat. You went through the lines quickly. Now you must get your food, travel to where your other food is, and THEN wait in line, whereas the old way was order, get food, leave. Quick and easy.
The seating area disgusts me. It's prety, it is, but it doesn't seem as it would fit as many people as the original. It's going to get crowded.

The quue *spelling!* lines for the rides seem shorter, and it's going to end up backing OUT of the pavillion. That's another error.

I just hope they don't go screwing around with the Land ride itself, b/c then I would have to say goodbye to Epcot, ne'er to return.

they are taking away what walt wished Disney to be. "Family Fun", "Fun for all ages". "Soarin" is not something a family could go on, as motion sickness is a possibility.
They took the "Family" out of "Fun" when they added Test Track and Mission to Space or whatever it's called.

Goodbye Disney. Good Riddens.

*phew, that took some heart to write. ;)*

Pongo

I don't know the exact numbers, but I'm sure a good majority of the people who have posted to this thread haven't seen the new pavilion in person yet.

That being said, those who haven't seen the pavilion and are tearing it apart (I'm assuming that Tara Mae hasn't see it because she said "I feel I will enjoy [Soarin']") probably should wait until they have seen The Land in person before they start to say how much better the old design was.

I know that "a picture is worth a thousand words," but seeing it in person is worth so much more.

As for me, I'll tell you what I think AFTER June 22nd.

MrNonacho

Premium Member
I just got back from seeing this new Land in person and I have to say, I never realized how dark and drab the old Land was until I saw how it looks now. I was honestly reminded of Wonders of Life, with the sunlight beaming into the light-colored interior. It feels so open and clean. The new seating area looks to be much better designed than the previous random scattering of tables, and seems like it will easily seat more people while allowing traffic to flow through it. Add in the solid theme of the four seasons and I have a hard time finding a fault with it.

To the naysayers out there: Don't you realize that Disney just injected at least a decade of life into the pavilion? Can't anything be changed without being offended, even if it's for the better?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
MrNonacho said:
solid theme of the four seasons and I have a hard time finding a fault with it.

To the naysayers out there: Don't you realize that Disney just injected at least a decade of life into the pavilion? Can't anything be changed without being offended, even if it's for the better?

I think the overwhelming majority are very pleased with the changes. :)

The_CEO

MrNonacho said:
I just got back from seeing this new Land in person and I have to say, I never realized how dark and drab the old Land was until I saw how it looks now. I was honestly reminded of Wonders of Life, with the sunlight beaming into the light-colored interior. It feels so open and clean. The new seating area looks to be much better designed than the previous random scattering of tables, and seems like it will easily seat more people while allowing traffic to flow through it. Add in the solid theme of the four seasons and I have a hard time finding a fault with it.

Right on.

Atleast disney filled this pavilion with more life than before. Soarin' will help bring the crowds in.

I don't see anyone getting huffy puffy about WoL.. Now that is empty space..

speck76

wdwmagic said:

I agree. The average guest response inseide the pavilion (all were passholders) was very upbeat.

The only people complaining are the drama queens and those that complain about EVERYTHING!

Shaman

wdwmagic said:

I don't see how people can be anything but...

The pavilion needed some life...I think over all, they did a great job...I love the Soarin' entrance...better than I expected. Only problem I see...is that I don't think I saw any changes that would help with crowd flow...in fact the changes I think will bring even more people in there for food...plus the two attractions...

General Grizz

Original Poster
speck76 said:
I agree. The average guest response inseide the pavilion (all were passholders) was very upbeat.

The only people complaining are the drama queens and those that complain about EVERYTHING!
I don't quite agree with this statement. :D

speck76

oh....and Grizz, your avatar has me convinced that you should give up your current profession and become a political strategist...

I read the message that your are TRYING to get through, but you, of course, are only showing a very small section of the interior, and not showing the true extent of the interior.

CTXRover

Tara Mae said:
The Land.

Hate it.

Looking back at the original Pavillion, I wish to cry.
I'm not complaining about the addition of "Soarin"", as I feel I will enjoy it, but why at the Land? It really doesn't, or didn't, fit into the Earth based Pavillion.
Now it does, b/c they altered the theme.
Travel Agency? What the heck? Why?
Soarin' is overtaking what the Pavillion was meant to be. A celebration of the cycles of the Earth. Yeah, yeah, the balloons are back, whoo-hoo. They no longer symbolize such. They might mean to, but they don't.

The replacement of the Seasons eating area is a fault. They had a great place to eat. You went through the lines quickly. Now you must get your food, travel to where your other food is, and THEN wait in line, whereas the old way was order, get food, leave. Quick and easy.
The seating area disgusts me. It's prety, it is, but it doesn't seem as it would fit as many people as the original. It's going to get crowded.

I respect your opinions, but I truly believe you will be singing a different tune when you get to see it in person (I'm assuming you haven't seen it yet given that you said you feel you "will enjoy Soarin'" Please correct me if I'm wrong and accept my apologies if I am).

(EDIT: I've said most of this before all over, sorry for the redundancy)

1. Soarin' is absolutely perfect for the Land pavilion. Finally now that people are getting on it, they are seeing for themselves what some of us having been trying to say from day 1 about its appropriateness. Providing aerial views of some of the most beautiful landscapes Earth has to offer as well as sights of how man has worked its way into the landscape, be it orange groves or farms to cities. The ride is also perfect for the entire family from the kids to the great-grandparents (except for those under the 40" height requirement). The ride produces virtually no ill effects unless you are seriously afraid of heights and it surprisingly is one of those few rides out there that actually have people clapping afterwards. That's rare. Lightyears beyond the small rock show that was in that area that focused on good nutrition and had no real place in the Land (more appropriate for WOL)

2. The airport and travel agency theme just aren't that obvious too me. Even in the Soarin' queue where it WAS themed to an airport, the natural colored woods, curved lines, cloud-like lighting structures, and the large panarmoics of the Earth's biomes in the Great Hall with its ever-changing factoids are wonderful. Personally, I just don't see the Travel Agency thing at all. Is it because there's an official, well-prominent desk for the Behind the Seeds tour now? Don't buy it.

3. The food area doesn't remind me of an airport anymore than the old one reminded me of something you could see at a dated mall. The themeing of the food court and the four distinct seating areas themed to the four seasons is perfect for a pavilion about the Land. Even with the added walkway to improve traffic flow, it looks like there is A LOT more seating overall. There is more seating areas than most pics show. The entire winter section is in an area that was part of the old Living with the Land queue that was rarely used.

4. The food court. Each station will give you a full meal. Its not like you will be getting your meat one place then have to go to another to get your vegetable. What the central check-out will do is allow families to split up to get what each member wants and then pay TOGETHER. This is in stark contrast to the individual pay stations before. If they have enough pay stations open, it shouldn't be a problem in terms of backing up.

5. The central atrium and the new balloons is probably the one aspect that nearly everybody agrees is an upgrade. The balloons each representing a season and Mother Earth are much better than abstract versions that only folks on boards like this would realize what they represented. Even your average Joe will make the connection of the balloons representation and the Land now. The sky blue color and sun beam banners are a lot better than dark blue and purple banners.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom