The Hometown Rivalry. Even Meg Crofton was impressed by Potter.

Lee

Adventurer
Never said everything for everyone... but Walt Disney World is a family-oriented place. It should be a place where the family can enjoy together. Even if not everyone is able (or wants to do) a certain thing, if the goal of something is to separate the family, that is just wrong in my opinion and is not Disney. You can have adult entertainment without resorting to a land full of clubs. Take the West Side... it isn't perfect, but it has a nice mix of items, from Disney Quest to Bongos, from Cirque to Wolfgang. It has live entertainment for all ages. That is something HW can be.

"But it all started from a daddy with two daughters wondering where he could take them where he could have a little fun with them, too."

*sigh*
Really? Does this argument have to happen for the 4,815,162,342nd time?
I'm really not up to it again.
Suffice to say, as a person whose family does not include children, I diagree with most of your statement above.
But, since the loss of PI is secondary to the loss of Adv Club, I don't feel like spending my breath defending the place anymore.

And that Walt quote, perhaps the most tossed-about one of them all, has absolutely no relevance to a discussion about PI. If taken literaly that quote would exclude many of the attractions at all Disney parks. It's about going to a park together, going on vacation together....not spending every waking moment doing the exact same things.

Oh...and DEATH TO HYPERION "LANDRY'S LANDING" WHARF!:fork:

captainkidd

Yes uni and ioa will never be able to draw in as many guests as wdw, but their popularity can hurt disney's attendance and revenue. usually uni keeps disney on their toes so that they don't get complacent, but it could also mean that tdo will decrease man hours if profits slip. this would result in park conditions that are not up to disney standards.

Statements like Meg's are scary because it sounds like she is waving a white flag.

I don't see that at all. She's simply admitting they did a good job. So what? More people are still visiting Disney parks than Universal. That's not going to change.

I'll say this - I was VERY impressed with the exterior and interior of Hogwarts. The rest of it, I don't see what all the excitement is about. But then again, I'm not a fan of Harry Potter.

This isn't the first time Universal has "outdone" Disney. They've created resorts with better service. They've created a better nightclub district. They've created more thrill rides. But the fact is, Disney is Disney, and as that article says, it's still BY FAR #1 and that's not gonna change. If it began to get remotely close, I can guarantee you, Disney would pull something out of it's sleeve. It will not lose it's hold on Orlando.

flavious27

I'm simply saying that I think Harry Potter topics should be held in the Universal Forum. I don't expect people to stop talking about it. But when I come to the WDW Rumors forum, I want to read about WDW rumors, not Harry Potter news.

Well this story is about disney, it has the parks president making a quote. News and rumors should be if it impacts disney, mentioning what the next coaster cedar point would not fit but if there is a park having a major expansion that knocks wdw attendance and or will push tdo to build, then it would be in the rumors section.

PlutoInOrlando

In the Parks
Yes
*sigh*
Suffice to say, as a person whose family does not include children, I diagree with most of your statement above.
But, since the loss of PI is secondary to the loss of Adv Club, I don't feel like spending my breath defending the place anymore.

And that Walt quote, perhaps the most tossed-about one of them all, has absolutely no relevance to a discussion about PI. If taken literaly that quote would exclude many of the attractions at all Disney parks. It's about going to a park together, going on vacation together....not spending every waking moment doing the exact same things.

You took the words right out of my mouth!
Not every "family" that visits WDW has children. Heck, 3 of my close friends, all over the age of 38, just went to Epcot for NYE. My partner and I go every now and then, and we have no kids (well, that can go to WDW!). There are plenty & plenty of adults that go who have no kids in the household any longer, or had kids in the first place.

I was at PI in it's hayday - middle 90's - and as soon as they opened it up to 'everyone', getting rid of the turnstile's at night, to me that's what killed it. I don't disagree that Landry's didn't help that in the death either!

I totally agree, the whole family discussion has been over done and stomped on. Sufice to say, we will never have a PI again, but gosh, when it was rock'n - it sure was FUN!

flavious27

I completely agree. PI wasn't dead until they strangled it to death in order to make way for Landry's Landing.
And their refusal to acknowledge and properly react to actual guest opinion concerning things like...oh,say...Adv Club only underscores that those people definitely have no idea what they are doing and possibly a real contempt for what guests want.

Exactly my point earlier. Since when is Disney content to ride another company's coattails? Disney should lead, not pick up crumbs.

I hope that AC and CW aren't demoed, but there isn't much hope unless iger tells them to keep them.

If AC isn't saved at this present location, why not build a new one using the temple in the jungle cruise? Both themes will fit together and the hours of both will match up.

PalisadesPkteer

I am a single 53 year old male who goes to WDW solo.

Got to the AC once. Really enjoyed it and I do not drink.

They could have adult entertainment and little drinking availability at least.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Lol, I'm 22 years old. So the "you don't understand" argument ain't gonna work on me. :lol:

With a screen name such as you currently have, you obviously feel that you presently know everything.

Unfortunately at the young age of 22 you are just getting to the age of finding out how much you DO NOT know.

flavious27

You do realize that Walt Disney World is supposed to be a place for the family to be able to enjoy together... not just for White Males between 23-35 who are staying at Coronado Springs and who can spell Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. :rolleyes:

I never understood this train of thought... that to give credit to someone else, or to point out that others are capable of doing great things is somehow a sign of weakness or defeat. :shrug:

Actually it would be the 22 yo swm that stay in pop.

PI wasn't a college bar, it had offerings that appealed to those above the age of 30.

The sign of weakness is to say that somehow disney is going to somehow benefit from potter and that nothing is being announced that would come close to creating the same kind of excitement. FLE is a princess land for existing franchises.

Computer Magic

You took the words right out of my mouth!
Not every "family" that visits WDW has children. Heck, 3 of my close friends, all over the age of 38, just went to Epcot for NYE. My partner and I go every now and then, and we have no kids (well, that can go to WDW!). There are plenty & plenty of adults that go who have no kids in the household any longer, or had kids in the first place.

I was at PI in it's hayday - middle 90's - and as soon as they opened it up to 'everyone', getting rid of the turnstile's at night, to me that's what killed it. I don't disagree that Landry's didn't help that in the death either!

I totally agree, the whole family discussion has been over done and stomped on. Sufice to say, we will never have a PI again, but gosh, when it was rock'n - it sure was FUN!
Great posts by you and Lee. That is what I've been trying to state. Disney is marketing to a family with kids. What brought many of us to Disney as adults is disappearing. How much will be left for us adults in a few more years?

flavious27

*sigh*

I will give a half try at it. As wdw is right now, it is not that way right now. There are attractions and restaurants at wdw that does separate families because the aim is to please a certain segment of guests, not 5 to 85 yo.

It has been well said that the food at boma is not for children and it never will be unless disney dumbs it down to be. On the flip side, pizza planet is aimed at kids and really isn't for the whole family.

Toy Story Mania is great for young kids and their parents to enjoy, but not as much so for teenagers and their parents. House of blues is a great spot for parents and maybe grandparents, but not kids. Most rides grandparents can't go on, or those that are handicapped.

Not every offering at WDW is made to be FF and for every member of the family. PI filled a need for parents to have some time to themselves from their kids and any kids. Disney offers the same thing for DCL on CC called Serenity Bay, and the island staff enforces this restriction to the point of guests yelling at tram drivers.

flavious27

Great posts by you and Lee. That is what I've been trying to state. Disney is marketing to a family with kids. What brought many of us to Disney as adults is disappearing. How much will be left for us adults in a few more years?

When boma becomes a character meal, I won't go back to wdw.

T-1MILLION

There's a big difference between having to look for the showbuilding and having to look to not see the showbuilding. You can see it plain as day from right in front of the entrance. You can see it plain as day throughout the outside queue. You have to try to not see it. Does it exist in Disney, yes... but 99% of the time, if the building is supposed to be themed (so lets take out the obvious like Rock 'n' Roller Coaster which they aren't trying to hide the building) it is themed enough so that you would need to look to find the show building. That said, there are exceptions.... but I'd say those exceptions are not meeting the Disney standard... they are not the Disney standard.

sigh.... http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos...48703393_139910379361960_363031_8112252_n.jpg

40667_146496048703393_139910379361960_363031_8112252_n.jpg

It was like that for a VERY long time. Trees eventually grow in. You can stop your bias ways now.

cheezbat

I don't think trees will ever grow big enough to block the Forbidden Journey ride building. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Would it have been expensive to cover it in rockwork? Yes. But it would have been nice.

Could they add rockwork to hide the building in a future expansion? Yes. Will they? Unlikely but you never know.
Regardless of seeing parts of the building at different angles, coming from the main entrance of Hogsmeade village you don't see the building, but you see the amazing Hogwarts in the distance. Great forced perspective.

lazyboy97o

I don't think trees will ever grow big enough to block the Forbidden Journey ride building. It sticks out like a sore thumb. Would it have been expensive to cover it in rockwork? Yes. But it would have been nice.
The showbuilding is only visible from ertain points. As crowds diminish, the part of the queue where it is most obvious will not even be used.

T-1MILLION

When is this picture from?

Not sure on exact dates but it was like that from the 70s and some the 80s. The trees eventually grew in. Let's no forget WDW is 40 years, so many of the old years had this to show. Potter just opened. In years to come the lines of pines they planted in along the show building will grow in to block any easy views of it.

as Lazyboy said. The area that feautres the greenouse is an extended queue, it does not have the best theming ever but was done for the guests having to wait that long. The ride has capacity comparable to the Haunted Mansion (better in some senses because there is no stopping the pace for preshows or handicap transfers) shows you how many people are really riding when the ride has an average of 50 to 75 min waits lately and 2 hours plus around Christmas. Eventually those will die down and people won't have to wait in the greenhouse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom