The Hometown Rivalry. Even Meg Crofton was impressed by Potter.

flavious27

Ummm....yeah. That's called PR spin. It's been discussed to death in other threads, but no...their given reason is pure spin.

Two points...
Racers, by itself, has gone north of $300m.
When complete, it will be the most expensive attraction ever, surpassing ToT in DisneySea.
And Test Track didn't come close to $300m. Its Future World neighbor was more expensive by a good margin.

As much spin that they put out there, PI was not a dead attraction, that is what my point is. Without PI, wdw loses being a full entertainment draw for every member of the family. If there was a problem with underage CMs getting drunk, don't give away free passes to CMs. If the locals were starting fights, make it a guest only attraction. If it was taking bouncers more than 10 seconds to check IDs and it was backing up lines, then add an age field onto the key to the world.

flavious27

I was wondering where do these attendance figures come from? Since Disney doesn't release official attendance numbers, is this just someone's guess? From 2007 to 2009, it went up exactly 50,000 a year? Does it represent paying customers? Or just people through the turnstile? Do they stay all day or just a couple of hours then off to another park and get counted again? And how many are annual passholders or just cast members with their families?

They are from tea, as for what they measure, I would assume it is the amount of people passing through the turnstile.

RSoxNo1

I was wondering where do these attendance figures come from? Since Disney doesn't release official attendance numbers, is this just someone's guess? From 2007 to 2009, it went up exactly 50,000 a year? Does it represent paying customers? Or just people through the turnstile? Do they stay all day or just a couple of hours then off to another park and get counted again? And how many are annual passholders or just cast members with their families?

These are definitely estimates. Over the years these estimates have been done by a few different groups. The most recent is a group called TEA/ERA.

Theme Park within a theme park was the term first used to describe to the general public what an island is section of their parks are like. The media altered that quite a bit by making it sound like its own theme park.

Side note to Toy Story Mania, Yes, I am not saying that Toy Story Mania is not the most popular attraction at that park..shouldn't it be? Its a fairly big ticket that opened recently based on a film franchise that had the top grossing movie release of 2010.

Its not a 60 min plus insane wait in the off season soley because of its popularity. It has one of the worst capacity rates if not the worst in recent industry additions.

I think your argument about capacity vs. popularity holds greater weight with an attraction like Peter Pan. People are turned off by the waits of Peter Pan, but a smaller percentage of people are turned off by the waits of Toy Story Mania. Part of that is the newness of the attraction, but the other part is the quality of the attraction.

The certainly underestimated the capacity demands for Toy Story Mania, especially since they revamped the loading area (I'm not sure if the Hourly Capacity is still below 1000 now, but it was that low right after the change).

Rides like Toy Story Mania, Dumbo and Peter Pan all typically can not meet the demand on any given day. That means that more people want to go on the attraction in any given day then people that can actually go on the attraction on any given day.

A while ago, someone posed the question about whether or not doubling the capacity of Dumbo, and adding fastpass would change the standby wait times at all. I tackled the question, but the biggest question becomes how much greater is the demand for Dumbo than the actual capacity? I would guess that the appeal of Dumbo is not twice the current capacity of the attraction. As such, the overall wait times will drop but now there will be two queues for guests to wait in. The Fastpass queue will have waits of 5 minutes or less, while the Standby queue could still have waits of 40 minutes or more. The difference being that the Standby wait of 40 minutes will have less people waiting in the Standby line.

flavious27

I am so sick of seeing Harry Potter threads on this forum. Shouldn't they be on the Universal Forums? I'm happy people are excited about WWOHP, but it has NOTHING to do with Disney. Should we start talking about Busch Gardens new roller coasters here as well?

Disney was bigger before WWOHP. Disney will be bigger after WWOHP. End of story. I don't care how popular HP is, the fact that some are comparing the popularity of HP with the popularity of Disney is just laughable.

Yes uni and ioa will never be able to draw in as many guests as wdw, but their popularity can hurt disney's attendance and revenue. usually uni keeps disney on their toes so that they don't get complacent, but it could also mean that tdo will decrease man hours if profits slip. this would result in park conditions that are not up to disney standards.

Statements like Meg's are scary because it sounds like she is waving a white flag.

Lee

Adventurer
As much spin that they put out there, PI was not a dead attraction, that is what my point is. Without PI, wdw loses being a full entertainment draw for every member of the family.
I completely agree. PI wasn't dead until they strangled it to death in order to make way for Landry's Landing.
And their refusal to acknowledge and properly react to actual guest opinion concerning things like...oh,say...Adv Club only underscores that those people definitely have no idea what they are doing and possibly a real contempt for what guests want.
Statements like Meg's are scary because it sounds like she is waving a white flag.
Exactly my point earlier. Since when is Disney content to ride another company's coattails? Disney should lead, not pick up crumbs.

askmike1

As much spin that they put out there, PI was not a dead attraction, that is what my point is. Without PI, wdw loses being a full entertainment draw for every member of the family. If there was a problem with underage CMs getting drunk, don't give away free passes to CMs. If the locals were starting fights, make it a guest only attraction. If it was taking bouncers more than 10 seconds to check IDs and it was backing up lines, then add an age field onto the key to the world.
You do realize that Walt Disney World is supposed to be a place for the family to be able to enjoy together... not just for White Males between 23-35 who are staying at Coronado Springs and who can spell Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. :rolleyes:

I never understood this train of thought... that to give credit to someone else, or to point out that others are capable of doing great things is somehow a sign of weakness or defeat. :shrug:

jt04

Too Much Spin

:dazzle:

This is just wrong. PI was failing when Disney closed the clubs and Disney has several adult venues on property.

Disney tried many configurations to find a way to make PI work and nothing could stop the slow decay. Nothing. End of story.

flavious27

That's because HP is worthy of six threads and even more. Its one of the most immersive, ground breaking, and amazing attractions ever built.

Or that it is up to every disney standard for an attraction and land. Its themig exceeds disney standards, it uses a ride technology that is cutting edge. The only thing that can be knocked is rethemig dueling and flying unicorn and maybe not having the castle as more than a queue area.

flavious27

In other words, you don't.

I'm far from a fan boy. I love both resorts. I think if anything, it's Harry Potter fan boys that refuse to stop shoving it down everyone's throat on the Disney board.

Well they have a land that is top notch and could have been part of wdw in some way.

Lee

Adventurer
You do realize that Walt Disney World is supposed to be a place for the family to be able to enjoy together...
A common misconception.
The idea is "something for everyone" not "everything for everyone."
It was never the intention that every attraction or venue on property be appropriate for every member of the family.
This is just wrong. PI was failing when Disney closed the clubs and Disney has several adult venues on property.

Disney tried many configurations to find a way to make PI work and nothing could stop the slow decay. Nothing. End of story.
Please, jt...we've been over this way too many times.:brick:
They killed it. Plain and simple.
And none of the remaining venues are equal to one bathroom at Adv Club.

askmike1

Or that it is up to every disney standard for an attraction and land. Its themig exceeds disney standards
I agree with that statement 90%. Unfortunately... they did a very "Universal" job with the exterior of the castle that unfortunately does not come anywhere near the standard they have within it.

lazyboy97o

I agree with that statement 90%. Unfortunately... they did a very "Universal" job with the exterior of the castle that unfortunately does not come anywhere near the standard they have within it.
The visible showbuilding is not something Disney has always avoided. There are plenty of examples at Walt Disney World.

jt04

A common misconception.
It was never the intention that every attraction or venue on property be appropriate for every member of the family.

Please, jt...we've been over this way too many times.:brick:
They killed it. Plain and simple.
And none of the remaining venues are equal to one bathroom at Adv Club.

It is the PI clubs that put the nail in the AC coffin. That is where you should direct your attention. And Tirian has an awesome post in another thread that pretty much explains what happened. The AC and the CW are victims of PI's demise. And I think those two venues should be part of HW as long as they are profitable.

askmike1

A common misconception.

Never said everything for everyone... but Walt Disney World is a family-oriented place. It should be a place where the family can enjoy together. Even if not everyone is able (or wants to do) a certain thing, if the goal of something is to separate the family, that is just wrong in my opinion and is not Disney. You can have adult entertainment without resorting to a land full of clubs. Take the West Side... it isn't perfect, but it has a nice mix of items, from Disney Quest to Bongos, from Cirque to Wolfgang. It has live entertainment for all ages. That is something HW can be.

"But it all started from a daddy with two daughters wondering where he could take them where he could have a little fun with them, too."

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Well some of daddies little girls grew into young women and it now appears that things they enjoyed at 8 no longer interest them at 18.

When you family grow up maybe youll have a better understanding

askmike1

The visible showbuilding is not something Disney has always avoided. There are plenty of examples at Walt Disney World.

There's a big difference between having to look for the showbuilding and having to look to not see the showbuilding. You can see it plain as day from right in front of the entrance. You can see it plain as day throughout the outside queue. You have to try to not see it. Does it exist in Disney, yes... but 99% of the time, if the building is supposed to be themed (so lets take out the obvious like Rock 'n' Roller Coaster which they aren't trying to hide the building) it is themed enough so that you would need to look to find the show building. That said, there are exceptions.... but I'd say those exceptions are not meeting the Disney standard... they are not the Disney standard.

askmike1

Well some of daddies little girls grew into young women and it now appears that things they enjoyed at 8 no longer interest them at 18.

When you family grow up maybe youll have a better understanding

Lol, I'm 22 years old. So the "you don't understand" argument ain't gonna work on me. :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom