The Frozen 'Initiative' ...

RSoxNo1

What I think really doesn't matter on this subject. In the mess that is TPFKaTD-MGMS and soon to be TPFKaDHS as well, you can drop anything in and it will fly to some degree.

But the far reaches of Fantasyland is where this belongs.
I know "it's a small world" isn't your answer unless I'm willing to self deport... Where would you place Frozen in Fantasyland? The options I see are as follows:
  • Remove Pinocchio's Village Haus
  • Create a pathway between Ariel's Grotto and the Circus Tents
  • Remove the Circus tents, especially the Fastpass+ ones
  • Remove Tomorrowland Speedway.

Disday

There is a rumor, just hinted at by Jim Hill, that Disney may replace The Great Movie Ride with a big Frozen ride. They probably wouldn't even start on it until 2017 or later due to the amount of after hour dinner parties held inside of TGMR.

jdmdisney99

There is a rumor, just hinted at by Jim Hill, that Disney may replace The Great Movie Ride with a big Frozen ride. They probably wouldn't even start on it until 2017 or later due to the amount of after hour dinner parties held inside of TGMR.
If they did that I'd just die. BAH+Frozen Maelstrom+Time Racers*1000 :grumpy:

ttalovebug

And without (hopefully) having this debate again, I'll simply state that I think Pocahontas was a wonderful (if too short film) with amazing visuals and music. I'll take ANY 1990s WDFA creation over Frozen. I think they are all better. Really.

Amen. I think Pocahontas is unfairly maligned. The score is breathtaking and so is the animation. Apparently it was "boring" for the kiddies, but it came out when I was 5- loved it then, love it now.

I think Frozen is a great return to form, but it's not a Disney Renaissance film, and I'm talking through '99. Is it better than Tarzan, Mulan, etc.? I don't think so. (Hunchback has identity issues, but one thing I'm certain of is that Frozen's score can't touch Hunchback's.)

Californian Elitist

The newest update on Miceage is a shameless ripoff of WDW1974's updates here. They even added a bogus rumor about a Marvel e-ticket in DCA to try and throw off the scent.

Remember when you kept saying Avatar was inevitably going into Disneyland's Tomorrowland? Yeah.

MiceChat and Spirit have insider resources. You honestly think it's abnormal that both are stating the same thing(s)?

Absimilliard

The way Mermaid Lagoon transports you 'under the sea' would so work for a kingdom set in snow and ice. BTW, ML has more than a few kids rides and a store. There is a large theater show that was just reworked (it was closed when I visited, but heard the original was an E-Ticket experience) and a large QSR all inside as well.

What Disney is doing with Frozen on both coasts is cheap and lazy.

Correct... Mermaid Lagoon Theater with its original "Under The Sea" show made the WDW show look like a grade school production. To give you an idea, when my sister (who went to Tokyo twice with me) saw "Under The Sea" at DCA, she told her son: you'll see! This is an amazing show!. Their reaction getting off that embarassment? She asked me why they built such a lame ride instead of that great show.

Cloning Mermaid Lagoon at MK would have made too much sense, so of course, WDW did not do it. Same with Raging Spirits as a thrill ride that would relieve pressure from the two coasters in Adventureland.

seahawk7

Olaf's Adventures. They can't be serious. I guess it will just be a game of where's Olaf a la where's Donald in Mexico. If they dare touch American Adventure after this atrocity.......
I really think Olaf should be something interactive like what they did with Crush.

Sped2424

Baloney. They are not going to put all this money into killing maelstrom just to add another frozen ride. That's not how tdo works.

Sped2424

Correct... Mermaid Lagoon Theater with its original "Under The Sea" show made the WDW show look like a grade school production. To give you an idea, when my sister (who went to Tokyo twice with me) saw "Under The Sea" at DCA, she told her son: you'll see! This is an amazing show!. Their reaction getting off that embarassment? She asked me why they built such a lame ride instead of that great show.

Cloning Mermaid Lagoon at MK would have made too much sense, so of course, WDW did not do it. Same with Raging Spirits as a thrill ride that would relieve pressure from the two coasters in Adventureland.
Imagine if we did get a clone of mermaid lagoon? Complete with a far better dark ride inside than what we sadly got.

disney4life2008

I just returned and the Frozen overlay is "cute" and "very effective" however, I do not think I could live with this for the next few years. I am cautious about the longevity of Frozen - its a big thing now but what happens once the next big thing comes out from disney? Over at DHS - the Frozen entertainment is a band aid on a failing park - with the exception of the frozen fireworks and show (which is exceptional) the other entertainment offerings this summer was just silly. I found it hilarious that people took the time to go ice skating while at HS - makes no sense to me. Over at Epcot, the Mexico boat ride never topped 5 minutes the entire week I was there; yet next door at Norway - by 1pm the wait for Malestrom was 40+ and stayed that way for the rest of the day. It is no surprise though - as I stood in line I could hear children and parents talk about how the water ride was about Elsa and Anna/Olaf. While I love Let It Go by the last day of my trip I was sick and tired of hearing that song - they even had it piped into the music playing at Sports pool. Sometimes a good thing is a bad thing but man - when will this ever end? As with all of my other disney vacations in recent years - I am always sad to see the reduction of Mickey and friends - this past trip the value of Mickey was at its lowest (not to say he is still not number 1) but comparing to the 90s its a severe drop.

TP2000

The newest update on Miceage is a shameless ripoff of WDW1974's updates here. They even added a bogus rumor about a Marvel e-ticket in DCA to try and throw off the scent.

As much as we all love all of the information and inside scoops that @WDW1974 provides for us here, to be fair the latest MiceAge Update fleshed out a lot more details and included new information than the Spirit offered here the night before.

For example, WDW1974 said this on Monday the 18th at 7:06 P.M. Eastern time:

"Both DCA and HKDL (and looks like DLP can be added now thanks to a kind source) will be getting temporary attractions that will very likely be there for years. And I use the word 'attraction' very liberally here. Think meet-and-greet-and-gropes and singalongs and things of that nature. They will not be replacing anything right now, just utilizing existing and or new real estate." - WDW1974

That was a scoop, and we loved it! But that's all the information he was able to share in this thread, in order to protect his sources and/or honor his friendships within Disney. And for that we respect him and thank him. :)

About eleven hours later, at 3:00 A.M. Pacific time on Tuesday the 19th, a MiceAge Update was posted to their website. Here's the more fleshed out and specific information MiceAge offered eleven hours after Spirit shared what he did:

"Taking a cue from the successful Frozen Summer Fun promotion they pulled together very quickly out at Walt Disney World, a new Frozen offering will be shoehorned into DCA for this Christmas season. Setting up in, you guessed it, the backlot area of DCA’s Hollywoodland, the characters from Frozen will be moving in for the holidays. An indoor ice rink and character meet n’ greet will be installed in Stage 17, while next door the Muppets will go on hiatus (again) and the MuppetVision theater will be repurposed for a small stage show and Frozen sing-along. Frozen décor and set pieces will be plopped down around these two venues and take over some of the existing Mad T Party facilities, and the existing Studio Store nearby will be turned into a Frozen merchandise headquarters. This will create a Frozen miniland of sorts in DCA, and should help take the pressure off the Frozen frenzy currently found in Fantasyland." - MiceAge Update

So there's a whole bunch more information there than what WDW1974 was able to offer. From MiceAge we got the exact location, the planned offerings, the venues to be used, a timeline aimed at the Christmas season, and the scope of the overall project.

The rest of Tuesday's MiceAge Update was so Disneyland-centric on stuff coming in the next eight months, focusing on the new night parade, new fireworks, dark ride upgrades, breaking the news that Toontown would become a "show building" for a Star Wars E Ticket accessed from the Big Thunder Ranch area, plus fleshing out the rumor of the new Marvel Land coming to California Adventure behind Tower of Terror that MiceAge already leaked a couple months ago, that I'm not sure much else could be compared to anything @WDW1974 has posted here.

I love me some juicy global gossip from @WDW1974 threads on wdwmagic.com, but the MiceAge Updates have been fleshing out the Anaheim details for over a decade. This latest update from MiceAge is no different.

Last edited:

seahawk7

I just returned and the Frozen overlay is "cute" and "very effective" however, I do not think I could live with this for the next few years. I am cautious about the longevity of Frozen - its a big thing now but what happens once the next big thing comes out from disney? Over at DHS - the Frozen entertainment is a band aid on a failing park - with the exception of the frozen fireworks and show (which is exceptional) the other entertainment offerings this summer was just silly. I found it hilarious that people took the time to go ice skating while at HS - makes no sense to me. Over at Epcot, the Mexico boat ride never topped 5 minutes the entire week I was there; yet next door at Norway - by 1pm the wait for Malestrom was 40+ and stayed that way for the rest of the day. It is no surprise though - as I stood in line I could hear children and parents talk about how the water ride was about Elsa and Anna/Olaf. While I love Let It Go by the last day of my trip I was sick and tired of hearing that song - they even had it piped into the music playing at Sports pool. Sometimes a good thing is a bad thing but man - when will this ever end? As with all of my other disney vacations in recent years - I am always sad to see the reduction of Mickey and friends - this past trip the value of Mickey was at its lowest (not to say he is still not number 1) but comparing to the 90s its a severe drop.
I hope you had an awesome visit!

TP2000

Just to chime in about Frozen's popularity - Just got back from GenCon in Indianapolis over the weekend... So yeah, it's still popular, and not just with the kiddos.

It's 10 weeks until Halloween. For the past few years I've been conducting an informal census of the neighborhood kids in my Villa Park, California home that is literally crawling with trick or treaters on Halloween night.

Never have I ever seen a single person, young or old, dressed up as an Avatar character on Halloween night. But I can already tell that there will be a gazillion Anna's and Elsa's and Olaf's roaming my neighborhood this year. I should pick up an extra case of Hershey bars at Costco this year, as I think this is going to be a banner year for trick or treaters!

(And yeah, if you come trick or treating to my house you get your pick of full-size Hershey bars or full-size Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. And then I go to See's Candy and get a few hand-packed boxes of chocolate truffles for the best dressed or cutest family group who win the big prize from me. I don't mess around with those mini candy bars on Halloween!)

Avatar will be entirely absent on Halloween this year, just as it's been every Halloween since 2010. But Frozen will be huge this Halloween, along with the usual Pixar, Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Transformers, zombies, and Harry Potter costumes.

I think if Bob Iger were the type of guy who answered his own door on Halloween night (and he obviously isn't) and he'd seen what costumes the kids were wearing, he NEVER would have entered into that Avatar agreement with James Cameron.

Last edited:

Gomer

It's 10 weeks until Halloween. For the past few years I've been conducting an informal census of the neighborhood kids in my Villa Park, California home that is literally crawling with trick or treaters on Halloween night.

Never have I ever seen a single person, young or old, dressed up as an Avatar character on Halloween night. But I can already tell that there will be a gazillion Anna's and Elsa's and Olaf's roaming my neighborhood this year. I should pick up an extra case of Hershey bars at Costco this year, as I think this is going to be a banner year for trick or treaters!

(And yeah, if you come trick or treating to my house you get your pick of full-size Hershey bars or full-size Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. And then I go to See's Candy and get a few hand-packed boxes of chocolate truffles for the best dressed or cutest family group who win the big prize from me. I don't mess around with those mini candy bars on Halloween!)

Avatar will be entirely absent on Halloween this year, just as it's been every Halloween since 2010. But Frozen will be huge this Halloween, along with the usual Pixar, Disney, Star Wars, Marvel, Transformers, zombies, and Harry Potter costumes.

I think if Bob Iger were the type of guy who answered his own door on Halloween night (and he obviously isn't) and he'd seen what costumes the kids were wearing, he NEVER would have entered into that Avatar agreement with James Cameron.

Not to disparage your analysis, but dressing up as an Avatar character for Halloween would require covering yourself in blue body paint and running around half naked. I enjoy Avatar enough for what it is, as do my kids, but I would never let them dress up as a character for Halloween. Any adults wearing that sort of costume would need to confine themselves to those adults only party with the naughty nurses and boytoy vampires. This is a bit different than throwing a 6 year old in some dress mass produced in China for 10 bucks a pop.

Frozen has more cultural relevance right now (and for the foreseeable future likely as well)for sure, but Halloween costumes are not a good measure when comparing a kid friendly cartoon to a adult aimed action movie with no clear costumable characters.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom