The Flu šŸ˜·

irishmom58

Good Morning:) The reports on the news, from my Husband that works in a hospital and various Disney Groups on FB have me super nrevous.
My family of 8 leaves next week. Currently we are all healthy. We did not receive the flu shot and it seems like a itā€™s not working anyway. Our 13yo had what we suspect of the flu right after Christmas, we treated the symptoms, keep in contact with our Pediatrician and he slept. Per advice from our Pediatrician we are taking Elderberry and Pro Biotics (the later we all ready.) I also purchased the Purell Professional Spray that kills the flu and norovirus In 30secs.
My question for all of you that visit the parks regularly and live locally, is the flu in the area widespread? Are the parks full of flu stricken people?
Am I just being an over worried Mom?
I
I was there yesterday and seemed like any other day in the parks. I couldnā€™t see anyone who visibly looked any more ill than the common cold
Good Morning:) The reports on the news, from my Husband that works in a hospital and various Disney Groups on FB have me super nrevous.
My family of 8 leaves next week. Currently we are all healthy. We did not receive the flu shot and it seems like a itā€™s not working anyway. Our 13yo had what we suspect of the flu right after Christmas, we treated the symptoms, keep in contact with our Pediatrician and he slept. Per advice from our Pediatrician we are taking Elderberry and Pro Biotics (the later we all ready.) I also purchased the Purell Professional Spray that kills the flu and norovirus In 30secs.
My question for all of you that visit the parks regularly and live locally, is the flu in the area widespread? Are the parks full of flu stricken people?
Am I just being an over worried Mom?
Well we were there Jan 8-12 and no issues with sick folks. We had our flu shots and Purell before we eat. Why go to a location where hundreds of thousands, nay millions of people and their array of germs and hygiene pass through when you are so concerned about catching a bug and not be sensible and get the flu shot?

spock8113

Certainly a question to ask is, is the flu shot actually making the flu seasons worse?
or is the hyper-reporting making the flu seasons worse?
There were no real "flu-reportings" in 1918 or 1957 like there is now, instantaneous worldwide, like the germs.

Ok, I get it, it's a literal shot in the dark trying to figure out this year's strain last year and everyone's throwing around
this years 30% effective figure, but put out real figures and stats over the last 30 or 40 or more years
so I can make an informed decision on shot or no shot.
I remember hearing back in August that they predicted this year's strain on what was happening in Australia.

If the cases are rising and more people are dying, then how effective is it?
It's a riddle wrapped in an enigma placed in a puzzlebox.

"You're so focused on the fact that you could, you never stopped to think if you should." - Dr. Goldblum

OneofThree

Certainly a question to ask is, is the flu shot actually making the flu seasons worse?
or is the hyper-reporting making the flu seasons worse?
There were no real "flu-reportings" in 1918 or 1957 like there is now, instantaneous worldwide, like the germs.

Ok, I get it, it's a literal shot in the dark trying to figure out this year's strain last year and everyone's throwing around
this years 30% effective figure, but put out real figures and stats over the last 30 or 40 or more years
so I can make an informed decision on shot or no shot.
I remember hearing back in August that they predicted this year's strain on what was happening in Australia.

If the cases are rising and more people are dying, then how effective is it?
It's a riddle wrapped in an enigma placed in a puzzlebox.

"You're so focused on the fact that you could, you never stopped to think if you should." - Dr. Goldblum

All valid questions and to be fair, you really have to spend some time reading the documents made available by the CDC to make one an informed decision. CDC officials recognize that not everyone has the time or is willing to sort through it, so they forward their recommendations, i.e. "get a shot". The short answer to this season, is that the estimations made for the strains weren't bad. The increase in morbidity is due to A(H3N2) being the predominate strain this year -a particularly nasty one. Unfortunately, the current process used produce vaccine is less effective against H3N2. What we also know is that despite the lower rate of effectiveness, severity of infection and rates of serious complications are reduced for patients who vaccinate. While it's definitely true that the news bureaus will capitalize on anything they can, specific data is still accessible.

spock8113

I did as suggested and found some CDC(2) and one other chart of the flu and flu vaccines going back some years.

While I certainly say any flu death is tragic, what the graphs seem to indicate is that the
mortality rate (deaths per 100,000) from the flu has basically been the same since the mid 1950's.
In the mean time the rate of flu vaccines has risen from 12 million doses in 1980 to 155 million in 2011.
Yet these graphs also seem to indicate no drastic change in the mortality rate from 1980 thru 2011.
My Dad was 1 year old and was lucky to survive the 1918 pandemic and walk through any cemetery in New York City and a vast majority are from that pandemic.

Don't let the fear of the flu keep you from Disney.
Get your shots if you want and wash your hands frequently!
FluMortality.jpg
G11.11-US-Flu-TB-1900-1965.png
distribution-doses-1980.jpg.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Now they say the flu can be spread just by breathing. Ahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

Not surprising since that's been known for a cold virus for a while now. And that's not even accounting for speaking and the aerosols created by plosive and fricative consonants. Those who are ill should self-quarantine. Trying to rough it by going to work or to the parks while sick is putting others at risk.

I think that everyone has forgotten about the purpose of this thread and the question that the OP was asking.

You mean how people should stop reading things on Facebook?

Dave B

I guess I am ignorant, its not on the news out here and I and my family and the 32 people that work for me have not got sick, maybe its just the bubble I live in.

I will admit, I do not search the internet to find statistics on the flu and death, I would assume if it was an issue it would be on the news

I don't know what a troll is, so I am not one of those for sure.

danyoung56

Dave, a troll is someone who goes into a forum like this and spouts information that may or may not be true, with the sole purpose of getting a strong reaction from others. You are definitely NOT a troll.

Dave B

Dave, a troll is someone who goes into a forum like this and spouts information that may or may not be true, with the sole purpose of getting a strong reaction from others. You are definitely NOT a troll.
Thanks my man, how has my spelling been lately, lolol

lazyboy97o

I guess I am ignorant, its not on the news out here and I and my family and the 32 people that work for me have not got sick, maybe its just the bubble I live in.

I will admit, I do not search the internet to find statistics on the flu and death, I would assume if it was an issue it would be on the news

I don't know what a troll is, so I am not one of those for sure.
It is national news and is being discussed here because it is national news. You were called out for now repeatedly dismissing it as news and then trying to make nonsensical distinctions between the flu and influenza. People pulled out statistics to show that you are peddling very wrong information.

Dave B

Its NOT on the news in Colorado, just fYi and this is a Disney forum, not a healthcare forum, and I am officially unwatching this silly, crazy discussion and going back to enjoying the WDW forum on DISNEY related fun stuff

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom