The Flu 😷

YankeeMouse

Wash your hands to the tune of Happy Birthday to You in your head, TWICE. We just returned and I peeked at the sinks as I was washing and saw no one washing hands that long (this was a first for me too). I had a purse-sized Lysol spray which I used on the airplane tray table and metal seatbelt and sprayed the door handles of our resort room. And think about the biometrics where you place your finger and anytime you pay with the keypad. Every time I did that, I used my travel hand sanitizer. And when you do that each time, you realize how many times you do that a day! My hands are dried up and in bad shape so I think I washed hands enough! Flu shot too.

Noralou

I like colloidal/ionic silver for many infectious diseases and for food poisoning, UTIs, etc.... Have had treated my family and pets with it with great success. When I travel, I always take a few ounces of it with me as well as a generator which is very small. The problem sometimes is finding distilled water/pure water.

21stamps

I took my ds to Urgent Care last week, same symptoms. He was tested for flu, came back negative. The dr. mentioned adenovirus? It looks a lot like flu, but it's different. So, we came home with no meds - he is only now starting to feel better. His temp. was hovering between 102 and 103.8 for four days, I checked on him constantly and pushed fluids. He had one bath, that made him feel worse. I am so sorry you are sick - hang in there, take meds for symptoms, drink fluids, and rest. This too shall pass!

Oh I’m sorry to hear that. I’m glad he’s feeling better now!

My doctor didn’t mention anything else besides the flu to me. Gave me a prescription for Tamiflu and had me buy Mucinex. I feel a little bit better today than I did Wednesday or yesterday, at least the fever is gone. I did get the flu shot in early November, so I’m hoping between the shot and the Tamiflu that I’ll be better tomorrow, or well enough to get out of bed for more than a few minutes at a time.

I’m just praying my son doesn’t get it. So far he’s not showing any signs. He’s at a sleepover tonight. At this point he’s already been exposed though, so we’ll see.

mergatroid

this is completely false, what many people call the flu is a cold or stomach virus. Actual flu is a big deal. As a fit person in my mid 30s, who worked out every day and rarely got sick, I was hospitalized with the flu which progressed to pneumonia. I was in critical condition and it was the first time I had ever been in a situation were a very real possible outcome was death. People make light of the flu because folks get the sniffles and say they have the flu, or get diarrhea or an upset stomach and say they have the flu. I'll say it again, the flu is a big deal. Its just that people label common infections as "the flu" and that diminishes our perceptions of it.

After that case I always get the shot, its a quick jab and makes me less likely to spend a week miserable in bed, or possibly worse. Seems like an easy choice.

Agreed, once you've had the flu you know the difference between a cold and the flu.

NelleBelle

Wash your hands to the tune of Happy Birthday to You in your head, TWICE. We just returned and I peeked at the sinks as I was washing and saw no one washing hands that long (this was a first for me too). I had a purse-sized Lysol spray which I used on the airplane tray table and metal seatbelt and sprayed the door handles of our resort room. And think about the biometrics where you place your finger and anytime you pay with the keypad. Every time I did that, I used my travel hand sanitizer. And when you do that each time, you realize how many times you do that a day! My hands are dried up and in bad shape so I think I washed hands enough! Flu shot too.

I can't tell you how bad my hands were when I worked in the hospital...they were so dry from all the hand washing and constant alcohol gel. :rolleyes:
One thing I've noted: people will wash hands and then immediately touch the facets to turn off water with their freshly washed hands (yuck)!! Grab a paper towel and turn it off!! And don't touch the door handle on the way out either (double yuck)!!! I absolutely detest bathrooms that don't have paper towels because you can't get your hands dry enough with those dang hand driers (unless you have those Dyson driers) ;)

I am Timmy

Oh I’m sorry to hear that. I’m glad he’s feeling better now!

My doctor didn’t mention anything else besides the flu to me. Gave me a prescription for Tamiflu and had me buy Mucinex. I feel a little bit better today than I did Wednesday or yesterday, at least the fever is gone. I did get the flu shot in early November, so I’m hoping between the shot and the Tamiflu that I’ll be better tomorrow, or well enough to get out of bed for more than a few minutes at a time.

I’m just praying my son doesn’t get it. So far he’s not showing any signs. He’s at a sleepover tonight. At this point he’s already been exposed though, so we’ll see.
Glad to hear you are feeling better, and I will also be hoping your young one doesn't get it. I think it may hit younger kids harder than adults, and I have seen mine suffer quite a bit with this (he's 22). I haven't seen him this sick since he was five, so it was a little worrisome. This is his second round with this, too - the first was on our trip to DW in Dec. I would watch for symptoms in your son for the next week. Just to be sure.

Starlight67

I can't tell you how bad my hands were when I worked in the hospital...they were so dry from all the hand washing and constant alcohol gel. :rolleyes:
One thing I've noted: people will wash hands and then immediately touch the facets to turn off water with their freshly washed hands (yuck)!! Grab a paper towel and turn it off!! And don't touch the door handle on the way out either (double yuck)!!! I absolutely detest bathrooms that don't have paper towels because you can't get your hands dry enough with those dang hand driers (unless you have those Dyson driers) ;)
I agree those air dryers are the worst. Not sure if it's true but have read that all the dryers do is spread germs all over the restroom.:cautious: And the closer you get to the nozzle the more bacteria you are being exposed to. (Triple YUCK!) Paper towels actually wipe off any bacteria you missed when washing and then keep them contained in the trash.

YankeeMouse

Also, never push the elevator button with your finger. Elbow or cover your hand with a sleeve.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ya know...

Flu and cold germs are airborne. And not only in coughs and sneezes, but in splosive consonants and even breathing. I hate it when people tell me they're not going to shake my hands because they have a cold. I'm not heartless enough to respond back, "And yet, you face your mouth to me as spray me with micro-beads of spit to tell me how you're going to keep me from getting your cold. Nice."

You can have the cleanest hands in the world, and still pick up an airborne virus. Hand hygiene reduces risk, not eliminates it. That's why, for the flu and pneumonia, you should get the vaccine, even if it's not at 100%, which means you can still get the flu after the vaccine.

It's all about reducing risk and slowing contagion. You're not going to be disease-free unless you isolate yourself.

People who are sick should self-quarantine. Stay home.

21stamps

Glad to hear you are feeling better, and I will also be hoping your young one doesn't get it. I think it may hit younger kids harder than adults, and I have seen mine suffer quite a bit with this (he's 22). I haven't seen him this sick since he was five, so it was a little worrisome. This is his second round with this, too - the first was on our trip to DW in Dec. I would watch for symptoms in your son for the next week. Just to be sure.

I think I overestimated what today would bring. Woke up this morning, fever was still gone.. took a shower and was planning on going to the office. I was so dizzy in the shower I could barely stand. Entire body hurts, headache, and coughing. Didn’t even have the energy to dry my hair. Never made it to my car.
Fever hasn’t returned, but I’ve been in bed sleeping off and on all day.
This stupid flu is on my last nerve. It better be gone by tomorrow evening.

On a positive note, my kiddo brought home flowers for me today.. to ‘help me feel better’. That brought in some sunshine. :)

I am Timmy

I think I overestimated what today would bring. Woke up this morning, fever was still gone.. took a shower and was planning on going to the office. I was so dizzy in the shower I could barely stand. Entire body hurts, headache, and coughing. Didn’t even have the energy to dry my hair. Never made it to my car.

On a positive note, my kiddo brought home flowers for me today.. to ‘help me feel better’. That brought in some sunshine. :)
Whoa, that doesn't sound good! But your sweet son taking care of you might help. It seems to take longer than usual to completely be rid of symptoms. My ds, while the worst of it seems to have passed, is still fatigued and achy, and is still sleeping more than usual. Here's hoping you'll be bright eyed and bushy tailed by Monday!

lazyboy97o

If you or someone you know has the flu, please remember to take an extra day at home and away from people after you feel better.

Lets Respect

That's scary, I hope you feel better soon. The flu is horrible. We all got it in 2013 (at Disney, barely got home before it fully kicked in) and my mom had to move in with us for week to take care of us. We were totally useless.

Hang in there

Starlight67

I am all ways disgusted by the number of people who do not wash their hands after using the restroom (can only speak of mens restrooms) may not be related to the spread of the flu but the spread of intestinal issues sure thing.

Happens in the women's restroom too! People just exiting the stall....and walking out. :eek:Boggles my mind...why you wouldn't WANT to wash your hands....

mergatroid

Been off work in the UK this last week with temperature, dizziness and coughing till I vomit. Saw a doctor finally last night and it turns out that I've a lung infection :in pain:

daisyduckie

Studies they have done say the handles and nobs are the cleanest things in the restrooms, as most people have washed their hands before touching them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom