The Flu šŸ˜·

Dave B

So isn't the flu a soar throat, cough and fever, its an everyday thing, take some Advil or Robitussin and a day or two off, I am so confused, this post is acting like the world is coming to an end, I see NOTHING about Disneyworld on the last 5 pages

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So isn't the flu a soar throat, cough and fever, its an everyday thing, take some Advil or Robitussin and a day or two off, I am so confused, this post is acting like the world is coming to an end, I see NOTHING about Disneyworld on the last 5 pages
Just FYI...there is a button that will fix that.

Untitled.jpg

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

It would help to read the thread...

Remember: The Flu and The Common Cold are two different things, even though they're both viral infections.

The Flu can kill: Influenza spreads around the world in a yearly outbreak, resulting in about three to five million cases of severe illness and about 250,000 to 500,000 deaths. In the Northern and Southern parts of the world, outbreaks occur mainly in winter while in areas around the equator outbreaks may occur at any time of the year. Death occurs mostly in the young, the old and those with other health problems. Larger outbreaks known as pandemics are less frequent. In the 20th century, three influenza pandemics occurred: Spanish influenza in 1918 (~50 million deaths), Asian influenza in 1957 (two million deaths), and Hong Kong influenza in 1968 (one million deaths).

The Common Cold rarely kills: The common cold is generally mild and self-limiting with most symptoms generally improving in a week. Half of cases go away in 10 days and 90% in 15 days. Severe complications, if they occur, are usually in the very old, the very young, or those who are immunosuppressed. Secondary bacterial infections may occur resulting in sinusitis, pharyngitis, or an ear infection. It is estimated that sinusitis occurs in 8% and ear infection in 30% of cases.

This thread is about a dangerous viral infection, The Flu. It's not about catching colds. Mixing the two up makes people less fearful of the flu than they should be. And even though you may be a healthy adult who can weather the flu, you might be passing it on to grandma... and think about the consequence of that. Get the vaccine, even if this year's isn't as optimal as it could have been.

[quotes from the Wikipedia articles]

Oddysey

People are losing friends and loved ones in a season of increased frequency and severity. Although most who get it will emerge unscathed after several days of misery, the very real potential for serious complication *should* discourage us all from taking a pointedly blase attitude. It might not be you today, but tomorrow . . .

"Paramedics said her 6-year-old had common flu symptoms and left, she claims. Now her daughter is dead."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-her-daughter-is-dead/?utm_term=.de69c9227efa

I had no intention of making light of death. Especially when considering my daughter has the flu right now and is exactly 6 years of age. If she happened to die from the flu I would be completely beside myself and have no idea how or if I would be able to bear the pain. My heart goes out to the 6 year old and her family. Living in my household with a sick wife and daughter (and the prospect that I may get the flu) is by no means fun, but sometimes we do our best to shine a little light on things that are problematic as a defense mechanism. It helps us cope and provides perspective.

That said, I think the broader point is that in the modern era topics tend to get exaggerated as often times a single statistic is sighted as having much broader implications. The CDC states that deaths caused by influenza infection in the United States are 1.4 per 100,000 population. Just looking at the statistics, the flu is not something the typical person should fear. The flu can obviously be dangerous, particularly if you suffer from a pre-exsisting condition or one is elderly in age. Should we be cautious, absolutely, but it should not cause significant fear or even the postponement of a vacation (unless you have an underlying condition). The flu is rough, but the Bubonic Plauge it is not. Some estimates indicate that the Plauge killed nearly 50% of Europe's population. So as Dave said, this is the flu, not the Bubonic Plauge. Less fear, more perspective. All being said, I sincerely hope the OP enjoys a happy and healthy vacation.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/flu.htm

OneofThree

That said, I think the broader point is that in the modern era topics tend to get exaggerated as often times a single statistic is sighted as having much broader implications. The CDC states that deaths caused by influenza infection in the United States are 1.4 per 100,000 population. Just looking at the statistics, the flu is not something the typical person should fear. The flu can obviously be dangerous, particularly if you suffer from a pre-exsisting condition or one is elderly in age. Should we be cautious, absolutely, but it should not cause significant fear or even the postponement of a vacation (unless you have an underlying condition). The flu is rough, but the Bubonic Plauge it is not. Some estimates indicate that the Plauge killed nearly 50% of Europe's population. So as Dave said, this is the flu, not the Bubonic Plauge. Less fear, more perspective. All being said, I sincerely hope the OP enjoys a happy and healthy vacation

And this is echoed in my original post, pages ago:

At the end of the day however, visiting WDW may not really be much different from shopping in a crowded mall in terms of exposure. We've got a trip booked for February and are in a "wait and see" pattern right now, mostly because we have a very young child, and these and the elderly are particularly vulnerable if infections occurs. If it were just my wife and I, it wouldn't even be a second thought, tbh.

That said, there's a difference between being sober and being ignorant, and there have been some fairly ignorant comments made since, IMO.

Oddysey

And this is echoed in my original post, pages ago:

That said, there's a difference between being sober and being ignorant, and there have been some fairly ignorant comments made since, IMO.

It echoes your original post that was made prior to shaming others by using a singular 6 year olds death as an example. Resume reffering to others comments as ignorant.

Last edited:

OneofThree

It echoes your original post that was made prior to shaming others by using a singular 6 year olds death as an example. Resume reffering to others comments as ignorant.

Shaming? Singular? The value of the link was in illustrating the severity of what many are facing, in response to a claims which located influenza within the same category as the common cold. This is also far from a singular occurrence. If the unfounded and fallacious musings of 'murica's finest find them exposed in the face of facts and reality, I'd suggest they listen more and opine less.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
The CDC states that deaths caused by influenza infection in the United States are 1.4 per 100,000 population. Just looking at the statistics, the flu is not something the typical person should fear.

You are looking at the statistics... sorry, but, so wrong.

So, in the U.S., that statistic means at least 4,500 people will die. That's not insignificant. [It's over 100,000 world wide.]

Those 4,500 deaths happen even after 45% of the population is vaccinated. So, not only do the vaccinated not get the flu (or a version that is weakened due to a partial resistance), but they help slow the spread of the flu to others. If a teacher is vaccinated, they're not going to spread the flu to the whole class.

So, the flu is more dangerous than it sounds by using that statistic, since it's based on a population that includes the vaccinated. If you're not vaccinated, nor the people around you, go ahead and triple the threat... of death.

Yeah, death is serious, and for the 'common flu' is not as bad as it is compared to one of its pandemic forms. But, there are consequences other than death: serious illness. We're talking 3.14 million outpatient visits, 200,000 hospitalizations, and an $87 billion economic impact. While only 1.4 out of a thousand will die, so many more will suffer through it.

https://www.cdcfoundation.org/businesspulse/flu-prevention-infographic

http://time.com/5113281/flu-death-toll-children-2018/

KBLovedDisney

Also body aches (and I usually get this terrible chill down to my bones that a heavy blanket can't get rid of), and the fevers can get dangerously high, and if the cough gets really bad, it could cause pneumonia which could lead to death if not treated

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Glad I live in Colorado, we don't have any of that out here, maybe its the fresh mountain air

Is that a joke, or are you just ignorant, or just a troll?

So far this season, 566 people have been hospitalized for influenza in Colorado, compared with the 150 cases typically logged by mid-December, state health officials say. Conversely, norovirus outbreaks have been light.
ā€œWeā€™re seeing a pretty severe influenza season so far,ā€ state epidemiologist Dr. Rachel Herlihy said. ā€œWeā€™re having roughly three times the usual number of cases at this point in the year.ā€ - https://www.denverpost.com/2017/12/20/flu-season-in-colorado/

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom