The Flu 😷

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
And for the trifecta of busting cold myths: If you're getting your minimum Vitamin C requirements through your diet (which is normally the case for people in First World countries), then there is no amount of extra Vitamin C that will reduce risk of contracting a cold. This has been proven over and over again. The same holds true for zinc or any other OTC 'medication' which makes the claim of protecting oneself from a cold. If such a thing existed, as proved by scientific studies, every doctor would be shouting it from the mountaintops. It doesn't exist.

Now, if you do have the cold, then it would be wise to take extra Vitamin C because it has been shown that Vitamin C levels drop when one has a cold. You don't want to add a mild form of scurvy to your cold. However, taking Vitamin C in advance has shown no benefit. Especially since Vitamin C is water soluble and any extra you take is pretty quickly flushed out of you.
Big if -- there are some days I don't get enough F&V's in my diet. And it's not just for colds -- vitamin c is a valuable nutrient, and since your body doesn't make or store it, supplementing your diet with a moderate dose is a good idea. I have yet to hear a doctor discourage the moderate use of vitamin c supplements.

I take 1000 mg a day to ensure I have as much as I need; yes, I know it's about 100 times the minimum recommended amount for an adult. I take it with food to slow its path through my system and buffer any adverse effects from its acidic nature.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Big if -- there are some days I don't get enough F&V's in my diet. And it's not just for colds -- vitamin c is a valuable nutrient, and since your body doesn't make or store it, supplementing your diet with a moderate dose is a good idea. I have yet to hear a doctor discourage the moderate use of vitamin c supplements.

I take 1000 mg a day to ensure I have as much as I need; yes, I know it's about 100 times the minimum recommended amount for an adult. I take it with food to slow its path through my system and buffer any adverse effects from its acidic nature.

Unless you're eating a really odd diet, you're getting enough Vitamin C. Check the food label.

While Vitamin C can't be 'stored' as in an excess supply, it is 'stored' in where it is currently in use. Think of it like water: you don't have a 'store' of water that you can call upon, like a camel's hump, but you have enough water in play to last you a few days without new intake.

It can take a month for symptoms of scurvy to show up when you have a low Vitamin C diet.

Doctors not discouraging low doses of Vitamin C doesn't mean it has a positive health benefit unless it is a fact that your diet falls below minimum RDA for Vitamin C on a regular basis.

The Mom

Premium Member
Adding a few extra vitamins to your diet may not really help, but it doesn't hurt. People who do not eat a balanced diet may not be getting essential vitamins and minerals. And that is a lot of people these days!
Putting neosporin around your nose - not stuffing it up the nasal passages - doesn't hurt, unless you are allergic or have a sensitivity. Not sure how effective it is at preventing a bacterial infection; as mentioned, you have to breathe.

The feeling that you're doing something positive to keep yourself well - even if it's just a placebo - and thereby keeping a positive attitude is important. Some studies have shown that depression can affect the immune system. Thinking about healthy habits, or feeling that you're in control (even if you aren't) during flu season can't hurt. Even if what you're doing doesn't really prevent catching the flu.

Right now, the proven ways for a healthy person to avoid the flu (nothing is 100% prevention) are:

Get a flu shot.
Wash your hands frequently - soap(doesn't have to be antibacterial) and running water for the amount of time it takes to sing Happy Birthday - is best. Wipes are second best.
Cover your mouth and nose when you cough (I try to keep a pack of tissues in my pocket) and try to stay away from others who are coughing.
Go outside as much as possible; your mother was right to tell you, "Go outside and get some fresh air!"
Try to avoid large groups in enclosed places. I know most of us don't have a choice.
Eat a balanced diet, get plenty of sleep, and stay well-hydrated.

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
You mentioned scientific studies in your post. I’d like to draw your attention to a recent study which shows some strong evidence for the use of zinc to treat a cold. When taken appropriately, zinc can shorten the duration of a cold by upwords of 40%, which is pretty significant.
There is a lot of misinformation out there regarding the flu shot and medicine in general. I would encourage those who are not medical professionals to refrain from giving medical advice and making claims about healthcare in general. We are all in this together after all!

Here is the study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5418896/#!po=68.8679

Ah that's just what the people at Zicam want you to believe. Speaking of Zinc and nasal treatments.

https://www.verywell.com/can-zicam-cause-you-to-lose-your-sense-of-smell-770594

OneofThree

onions in the arm pits then :)

I get where you're coming from, but maybe the one homeopathic substance I'm a believer in is garlic. True story:

Son had a wart (which is virus) on his finger for months. We applied the typical Compound W on a daily basis. We'd get the thing down to almost nothing after weeks of treatment until having to stop because the acid was burning brand new skin trying to form where the old had been destroyed. The wart never went away fully despite numerous cycles. One day, my wife crushed some fresh garlic and mixed with coconut oil. She put the paste on his finger under a band-aid and after several days, the wart was completely gone never to be seen again. Scientific -perhaps not. Coincidence -I doubt it.

DisneyPrincess5

Good Morning:) The reports on the news, from my Husband that works in a hospital and various Disney Groups on FB have me super nrevous.
My family of 8 leaves next week. Currently we are all healthy. We did not receive the flu shot and it seems like a it’s not working anyway. Our 13yo had what we suspect of the flu right after Christmas, we treated the symptoms, keep in contact with our Pediatrician and he slept. Per advice from our Pediatrician we are taking Elderberry and Pro Biotics (the later we all ready.) I also purchased the Purell Professional Spray that kills the flu and norovirus In 30secs.
My question for all of you that visit the parks regularly and live locally, is the flu in the area widespread? Are the parks full of flu stricken people?
Am I just being an over worried Mom?
I hear you! It’s really scary and sad to think that a trip your family has been saving for and looking forward to could be ruined in an instant by illness, especially the flu. With all your kids and your hubs who works at a germ city, I’d be freaking too. Wishing you luck and for the love of everything that is holy, wash the crap out of your hands every chance you get! Have a great trip.

21stamps

I’m not sure if I accidentally deleted my post or if it was deleted by a moderator..

I’ll post an abbreviated version- vitamin c. A steam room, and a little sunshine can never hurt when you feel something like a cold coming on. Maybe it doesn’t help..but it feels like it does. ;)

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Just wanted to post this link in response to whether the "man cold/flu" was real...https://www.cbsnews.com/news/man-flu-study/
must've used DH and my father as "subjects (haha :joyfull:)

Ah, CBS isn't immune to clickbait...

Title:

Is "man flu" real? Study suggests illness may hit men harder

Concluding paragraph:
Still, Lautenbach stressed that the analysis does not prove that a "man's response to a respiratory infection is, in fact, worse than a woman's and, if so, by how much. Much more work needs to be done to figure out whether differences exists and, if so, what biological mechanisms might explain them."

NelleBelle

Ah, CBS isn't immune to clickbait...

Title:

Is "man flu" real? Study suggests illness may hit men harder

Concluding paragraph:

Still, Lautenbach stressed that the analysis does not prove that a "man's response to a respiratory infection is, in fact, worse than a woman's and, if so, by how much. Much more work needs to be done to figure out whether differences exists and, if so, what biological mechanisms might explain them."
I remember watching this when all the news networks ran the story. I had to chuckle as both my mom and I have our own theories as to why the men in our lives seem to have worse colds/flus. As soon as the men in our families heard this story, it only added fuel to their excuses :)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I get where you're coming from, but maybe the one homeopathic substance I'm a believer in is garlic. True story:

I was being factious, when Zicam destroys you sense of smell , an onion aside from the lump wouldnt present a olfactory annoyance.

drcasey

Ah that's just what the people at Zicam want you to believe. Speaking of Zinc and nasal treatments.

https://www.verywell.com/can-zicam-cause-you-to-lose-your-sense-of-smell-770594

With the older version of Zicam, the loss of sense of smell was an issue. However, it has been reformulated and the nasal swab version no longer contains zinc. The zinc formulations mentioned in the 2017 study I cited are oral formulations (which you would know if you’d read the study) and are not associated with loss of smell. The study was published, was conducted by physicians and the efficacy of zinc in the common cold is now widely accepted amongst physicians due to this new evidence.

I should honestly know better by now to not post on medical related forums because despite the fact that a physician is commenting, people will always find ways to disagree and cite non credible evidence, such as random website links and videos. It still blows my mind how people feel confident enough to post medical advice and make medical claims without holding a degree in medicine.

Last edited:

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
With the older version of Zicam, the loss of sense of smell was an issue. However, it has been reformulated and the nasal swab version no longer contains zinc. The zinc formulations mentioned in the 2017 study I cited are oral formulations (which you would know if you’d read the study) and are not associated with loss of smell. The study was published, was conducted by physicians and the efficacy of zinc in the common cold is now widely accepted amongst physicians due to this new evidence.

I should honestly know better by now to not post on medical related forums because despite the fact that a licensed physician is commenting, people will always find ways to disagree and cite non credible evidence, such as random website links and videos. It still blows my mind how people feel confident enough to post medical advice and make medical claims without holding a degree in medicine.
Regarding the study you sited previously...It stated that it was a meta analysis of 7 studies with 575 participants.

I read that as all 7 studies used in the analysis contained a combined total of 575 participants. Is that correct?

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
I should honestly know better by now to not post on medical related forums because despite the fact that a physician is commenting, people will always find ways to disagree and cite non credible evidence, such as random website links and videos. It still blows my mind how people feel confident enough to post medical advice and make medical claims without holding a degree in medicine.

And I posted a video from a physician who writes for the New York Times and whose work in health policy has him on top of epedemiological issues.

So, yeah, I'm listening to the advice of a physician, thank-you.

drcasey

And I posted a video from a physician who writes for the New York Times and whose work in health policy has him on top of epedemiological issues.

So, yeah, I'm listening to the advice of a physician, thank-you.

Looks like the video was published in 2014. More recent data does support that zinc can shorten the duration of colds. The efficacy of zinc was taught by my professors back when I was in medical school using published data to back it. Anyway, I hope you have a great day!

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Isn't it better to enlighten the community instead of hiding your candle under a basket?

Besides, some of us may have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom