The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-
I have been able to gather some thoughts together after reviewing all the photos i took of this special little venture, and i am happy to say that they will come in quite handy in helping me to convey the delights that took place.

So much to talk about....but i will wait until i actually have things uploaded and ready to share before starting the tale.

Back on the East Coast now. Took the red eye out of LAX ....or the Mara eye...as i was calling it...(gatta keep it all in THEME!) and have had a chance to catch up on the jetlag.

My brain feels like it is about to explode with all the sights, sounds, impressions, emotions, and...well...jubulance i am anxious to share with readers here.

It will take some time to get things together, but hopefully the post-venture tale will be as entertaining as the pre-venture lead up was.

:)

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Here are some scenic photos i snapped to warm up on....all related to the Tour....and all related to Mr. Baxter !

Scenic view on the right hand path that runs past *Tony*s Mountain*

I love finding little gems like this...out in plain display but so many just walk right on by missing it.
This visit i was looking with different, better educated eyes thanks to Tony and all sorts of things seemed to spring out for attention.

Futuristic view from above in Tomorrowland.

This structure i found visually facinating.
Part of the interest was not only the design work of the building and track course, but the fact that this is basically an abandoned pair of attractions still present in a Park with precious space. It gave it a unusual but appealing presence there and i kept finding myself looking at it.

It was a strange but interesting visual composition that i liked.
I took a lot of photos of this from all angles...this was my favorite of the lot.

Worshipping at *Tony*s Temple Of Wonders* in Adventureland.

I spent so much time in this attraction soaking up the atmosphere and exploring all the details that i felt like this was my apartment for the trip.
I think the only place i did not fully explore was the control room....or it sure felt that way at least!

I love walking through this queue with no one around.
Had many opportunities to do so this visit which was quite rewarding.

One of the several beautiful views in Fantasyland.
The detailing here is absolutely incredible. I have raved about this area of the Park before, but it bears repeating - Beautifully themed and executed!

I found things here i never knew were there, and even now reviewing the photos i snapped i am finding still more details i missed seeing in person.
This truly is one of Tony*s high points in his design career.
The team that helped pull New Fantasyland off in DL did a stunning job here that continues to impress me to no end.

This reminds me of a charming story related to New Fantasyland from this recent visit.

Standing in line at Dumbo late on Saturday night, a woman with a little girl was standing a couple of folks behind me in the queue.
She was craning her neck to check out the pinback button i was wearing, the Fan Club one, and complimented on how nice it was.

We then strike up a conversation about Tony and she expresses interest in learning more about what attractions he helped bring to life in the Park.
I start naming off some of his famous E-Tickets, but she was not yet familiar with them yet since her small daughter was not yet able to reach the height limit for such rides. This was also their first visit to Disneyland, so everything was new to them.

After learning this, i then try to think of something that surely they have both experienced that day, and Fantasyland was it.
I tell her about his involvement in the re-imagining of the area, and how he had quite an influence in it*s appearance.

This made her quite happy, and she then proceeded to hold up her daughter in her arms to show her the pin on my shirt, telling her that the *happy looking man* on that pin was the one who made Fantasyland *..look so pretty..* ...!

I found that rather sweet.
The little girl thought it was too, as after her Mom said this she looked at the picture on the pin, smiled, and clapped her hands.

More to come...!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Spent quite a bit of time working with all the photos i shot during this special venture yesterday....there is a massive amount..well over 100+.
Most are of scenery, building designs, and themed structures related to the Tour.

I am only about half way through compiling them, but there are many i am looking forward to sharing here. I will choose the best of the lot to tell the tale.

The two most epic shots i will save as the grand finale....as they perfectly sum up this experience, in my mind at least.

For now, i will start off with this toast to Tony -
Thank you for letting me see the Park through your eyes !

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Time to begin the tale....

Once upon a time...actually, quite recently...a Tony Baxter fan made a long journey to the 'Happiest Place On Earth' to experience the Park with new eyes.
The eyes were trained to see the Park as 'Baxterland' ...a unique perspective unlike previous ventures, and oh what delights awaited within for those with such eyes!

Months of research, and a lifetime of admiration for said personality culminated is this great personal 'pilgrimidge' of sorts. What better year to go then NOW...

As with any good story, let us start with the setting...the large palm trees of Orange County which greet me once i arrive in said destination one fine evening :

Walking along Disneyland Drive one comes upon multitudes of these beautiful Bird of Paradise plants, stretching as far as the eye can see along the roadways.
Hummingbirds flit about them if you stand there long enough enjoying the view.

I will admit that i expected this flowers to suddenly start singing, but then realized i was not in the Tiki Room....!

Hey, they COULD have....this photo was taken just outside of Cast Parking..!
:joyfull:

While walking around the streets that led to the Park, i was surprised to see these banners still up on display from the D23 Expo that happened one month ago -

It was odd to see them still up, but then i realized it was a nice little reminder : That Event is where Mr. Baxter was honored and presented with his Disney Legend award.
I was just a month too late ..dang it..!

Passing through Downtown Disney it was nice to see these relaxing fountains again -

I spent a bit of time sitting by these before i had to leave town on my last day, and it was a nice place to just 'be' and people watch.
The sounds of the splashing water were also rather nice on that warm late afternoon.

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

After arriving at and then passing through the front gates, it was time to enjoy the view of the Train Station.
For a WDW veteran, this was a refreshingly quaint version of the station and i enjoyed the charming differences.

I must mention that the smell from the flowers used in the Mickey planting here were intoxicatingly good.
A very sweet, strong, honey-like pollen scent was quite present in this area.
A nice way to be greeted..and start off a day.

Passing beneath the Station, via the tunnels, one gets to be reminded that you are leaving Today and entering the worlds of Tomorrow, Yesterday, and Fantasy.
There is something quite delightful about passing under that plaque on the way to Main Street.

Also delightful is getting a up close view of the stunning Attraction Posters that are on display in those entrance tunnels.
It was great to see some 'different ones'...as i am so used to the WDW collection.
Absolutely love the ones for Tarzan's Treehouse ( sly nod to the original attraction in the art, there..!) and this one for the Monorail -

The artwork for this is just awesome....i must have stood and started at this for 15 minutes as the multitudes rushed by me.

Here is a close up ...love the Sub and Space Mountain elements together !
Such a beautiful composition of all the DL Tomorrowland elements...

Of course, i could not forget my favorite poster....for 'Tony's Mountain'...which unfortunately i was not able to experience this visit ride-wise, but it held other delights for me instead which i will talk about later..

A close up view showing all the wonderful details.
One of these days i need to invest in a print of this poster.
Always loved the detailed artwork done for this design...just fantastic work.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Main Street proper was like a homecoming...which during this Tour had a extra element of purpose and meaning.

The highlight was the planned honorary ice cream cone consumption in tribute to Tony.
This was most certainly one of the many highlights of the visit.
Not only was the ice cream really good ( vanilla, in sugar cone..) but the setting i was graced with.

After getting a cone, i stood out front of the Parlor and gazed across the street to see two gents sitting on bench up on a front porch of one of the Main Street buildings.
If i remember correctly, it was a 'palm reader/fortune teller' themed facade.
The small raised front porch had a bench and two chairs on it for Guests to sit in and watch the masses go by.

This looked too good a opportunity to sit and reflect on Mr. Baxter's beginnings, so i walked over and sat down in one of the chairs.
The two gents ( locals who visit regularly ) struck up a conversation and noted that i 'have it right' when it comes to how to properly enjoy this Park.
Slow it down, take it all in, and savor and enjoy on a deeper level.

I sat there for probably about a half hour..enjoying my cone and reflecting on a lot of things.
It was the perfect spot to take in the atmosphere passing before you...licking your cone as the horse trollies and other Main Street vehicles passed by, not to mention the multitudes of people rushing off to jump on their favorite attraction.

It was of course even more special considering the theme of this venture.
I had in hand the laminated photo and Baxterland Map that i had brought with me for the epic 'Splash Mountain' photo shoot that took place later in the day.
So Tony was present for this little moment of reflection in more ways then one.
I had my moment of thanks, and finished up that delicious frozen treat.

On later days i spent some time sitting on the covered bench located in Fantasy Faire, as well as passing through on Saturday night to witness the famous Swing dancing i have read so much about.
Quite a scene there...and i can see why the locals who are heavily involved in that were upset at the thought of the dancing going away.
It was cool to see the adult crowd there having such a great time...and all dressed up to the nines, to boot!

The 'CPG' crest up on one of the themed buildings in Fantasy Faire made me smile, a sly reference to where my favorite 'idea guy' started his own Disney journey.
'X' marks the spot, indeed..where it all began.

I don't know about folks reading, but i find his story really quite inspiring on so many levels.
If you take the time to learn the entire story, it is both enlightening and encouraging to those of us aspiring to be in a similar creative position.
He did all right for a skinny college kid with a dream who was encouraged to develop under the gracious eye of his mentor, Claude.
I do hope today's up-and-coming Imagineers are also going to be allowed to develop in such ways from within.

But i digress....

A typical photo of Sleeping Beauty Castle, this one shot right before i wandered over the Fantasy Faire for a look around -

Festive autumn decor was everywhere, my favorite piece being this fun Roger Rabbit themed pumpkin.
I love Roger, and severely miss him back 'home' at WDW...

In the evening Main Street has a entirely different feel to it...and this photo captures a small percentage of that vibe -

Of course one must take a moment to thank Walt for it all....

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

A few more thoughts from Main Street before we move on to other areas.....

The Shops.
It was nice to see these are still fairly intact and have not been turned into a mega-mall like the WDW Main Street shops have over the last few years.
It was cool to see different themed merchandise in the various small locations ( Magic Shop, etc..) instead of just a jumble of all the same 'generic' items filling all the shelving. Different shops actually had different items...as it should be...and perfectly themed in most cases. Yay!
This was a treat for the eyes..
...and for the ears.
How so?

I strolled through Disneyania, The Disney Gallery, and the art/high end collectibles section of World of Disney.
In each place, i had Cast approach and want to talk about Mr. Baxter since they spotted the 'Fan Club' pin.
They were all algow with tales of the special day they worked and he came to visit for a special event, or to simply browse on his own.
I was aware of him enjoying these places, but did not expect the Cast to be so open and enthusiastic talking about their experiences with him.
This was great, and very welcome to my ears.
So his presence was most certainly there for the duration of this venture....even if he was not present himself, personally. More fun tales to come..!

More Main Street musings....

The other thing i took note of was the paint application given to Sleeping Beauty Castle.
Something i had missed noticing last visit...this time it stood out.
It has this beautiful pearlized pastel paint job on the Castle stones, with a dash of shimmering glitter thrown in the paint mix as well. Stunning.
It gave the Castle a real etherial appearence...a 'glow' all it's own. I was studying the stones up close while crossing over from the Faire way path and marveling at this neat little touch.

I spent some time walking around, through, and inside the famous landmark exploring it from all angles.
Unfortunately the side with Snow White's Grotto was being refurbished, and was closed off....but the entrance from Fantasty Faire was open with direct access to the Walkthrough.

This brings us to the next chapter of the venture...exploring the delightful 'Sleeping Beauty Castle Walkthrough'.
This was a 'must so' on the Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland.

Two words- LOVED this !

Photos do not capture the wonderful ambiance within those walls...and the overall charm of the dark environment with those neat scenes.
Many were plussed with special effects which made you want to stay longer and admire the artwork before you.

My first visit through it was a bit too busy.
Being 'pushed' through a experience due to people behind you riding up your backside is usually something i try to avoid, as unlike your typical Guest that is usually in a hurry to get in and out and to another attraction as soon as possibly, i like to linger and take my time soaking in the atmophere.

I made it a point to return on another day to spend more time viewing the displays in a less busy situation.

The return visit later did indeed pay off handsomely, where i had the interior pretty much all to myself and could stroll through at a leisurely pace and take in all the sights to be had.
Some neat little discoveries there...well worth exploring!

Here are a few of the photos i snapped during that refreshing period of the day...

A large scene as it appears upon entering the room from the stairway -

A close up of one of the hand drawn storybook pages present throughout the Walkthrough, 'narrating' the story as you explore the corridor displays -

My favorite scene in the Walkthough, of Maleficent's lair....
The lighting for this diorama was fantastic !

Another one of my favorite scenes...Maleficent casting her spell over King Stefan's Castle.
The projection effects in the background ( of various 'evil spirits' ) and the shifting lighting effects brought this to awesome life.
This photo does not in any way do the actual appearence of this justice!

Can you tell Maleficent is my favourite Villain..?

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-
Continuing the tale now...

We move onto Adventureland, where i spent many hours during this venture.
The first full Day in the Park started here, and the sparse attendance that morning is evident in this photo :

A tropical ambiance just beckons the weary traveler....with singing birds, flowers, and Pineapple Floats with umbrellas !

Of all the 'lands', i would say Adventureland, Tomorrowland, and Fantasyland is where i spent most of my time.
And for good reason.
Adventureland had two attractions high on the list of importance during this themed Tour, and that of course was
time well spent at two famous Tony Baxter Attractions : 'Indiana Jones Adventure' and 'Tarzan's Treehouse'.

As noted earlier, i spent so much time inside 'Tony's Temple of Wonders' that i felt like it was my apartment for the four days i was in town.
During several stops over there i felt like i had the place all to myself, which meant the opportunity to walk through at a snails pace enjoying and exploring every nook and cranny of the queue and interior/exterior theme elements.
It also brought with it some nice photography moments..where you could take the time to shoot, and even use flash, without ruining another Guest's experience.
No photos shot on the ride however...too busy looking at all the gorgeous eye candy.

I have to admit that i had a help....this 'perpetual Single Rider' pass enabled me to ride whenever and how often i wished.
There are some nice benefits to being a 'member' of the 'Tony Baxter Fan Club'..!

I put this pass to good use.
Lost count of how many times i rode...well over ten, maybe 15 during the visit.
During one ride i passed Indiana Jones HIMSELF standing in the Single Rider line as i was on my way out!
I kid you not....fully dressed in authentic gear and ready to ride with those who happened to be standing in the same line.
Epicness.

Here are some photos from those peaceful mornings in the Temple -

Mara painting on the Temple wall as you first enter the interior...

Trek through the temple queue...always liked the way the light from outside shines into the interior walkaways below it.

Remember that Code Card i posted a few pages back ?
Well time to get that in front of you again, so you can have fun deciphering these ancient glyphs !
Have fun..!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

More photos from time well spent in the *Temple of Wonders*....

Interior entrance, right before you pass through the bat dwelling.

It was cool to stand here and not feel like you had to be *pushed along* by the queue of people coming into the attraction.
It allowed some cherished *lingering* to really take in the extraordinary theming.

The detail work through this entire attraction is absolutely awesome.
I love how even the trash cans are made to look like they have been buried in the ground for hundreds of years.
Fabness.

The bat dwelling....do not disturb them !

When you look up there are some beautiful crystaline subterranean areas in here...lit in a lovely purple light.
Couple that with the sounds of the bats flitting about and this is a neat place to hang out for more then a few minutes just to enjoy the setting.

Entrance to the famous interior queue *spike room*

The actual dim lighting in here really makes the scene come alive, but i used a flash in this shot to reveal all the details one usually misses on the typical quick pass through.
Also, it was fun to have the chance to decipher the glyphs carved on the rollaway stone.

I took a lot of photos of just the walls inside the queue with the intent of having some fun later post-visit de-coding all the script.
Call me a freak if you want, but i love to obsess over details like this.

Interior detail photo to obsess over...i love the texture !

Speaking of such...here is one for all of you following along with your Decorder Card in hand...!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

After spending a lot of time throughly exploring the Temple it was time for some fresh air....courtesy of our next stop on the Tour,
*Tony*s Treehouse* !

Absolutely loved this. A new fave.
Missed experiencing this on previous visits, but now it will be a must-do each visit in the future.
I loved everything about it..from the setting, layout, water feature at the base, and the premise of Jane*s drawings telling Tarzan*s story as you walked through the areas.
I could live here.

I visited first during the day, which was nice but slightly hurried due to all the small children and their folks treading the stairways is the usual rush to blow through and go on to the next thing.
I returned another day in the late evening and it was a very nice experience.
Quite cozy up there above it all...watching folks from above, and the night time view was great.
Plenty of pleasing views.

Took a few photos during the day.
My favorite viewpoint...for obvious reasons....

Very cool to be able to see *Tony*s Mountain* from his Treehouse.

This photo reminds me or another nice thing that happened....
Since this was the *Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland*, i did not watch the fireworks presentation from the Castle...but instead watched them from a side spot in Frontierland.
Here the fireworks appeared above *Tony*s Mountain* instead...which was very cool and totally in theme !
Wish i had taken some photos that night...but alas, that was my *camera free* day.

The only downside is the *Remember...Dreams Come True* presentation is now apparently edited.
I was waiting to hear the previously included Frontierland medley which includes the famous *Wildest Ride In The Wilderness* spiel, but alas, the entire segment was missing!
Did people complain about it or something...you know...complain about the Castle being *shot * at during the Shooting Gallery segment? Sheesh.....that was one of the neatest lighting skits with the Castle.
Oh well....it was still a nice moment to see those fireworks over BTMR.

The Mountain was in itself in the dark due to the ongoing reconstruction going on, so it was neat to see the reflections of light cast from the fireworks shift and dance across the surface of the rockwork.
One of those *happy accidents* that took place...

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

A additional pair of pictures from good times in Adventureland....

Had to see a few showings of the Enchanted Tiki Room..and quaint Enchanted Garden pre-show which i finally saw in it's entirety for the first time.

I was admiring this unique way to shade a open area.
Love the patterns....

And of course...as the CMs will tell you, fruity drinks are welcome inside the Tiki Room....

A must really if you are going in to enjoy the show.
I had three through the course of the four day Baxterland Tour....mmmm....

The line was so long on Friday ( 13th ) at the Tiki Bar for Dole Whips that i overheard Guests walking by comment on 'what ride were they all in line for'...!

Yeah..if they only knew...

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Next up on the roster is glorious Fantasyland....
What more can i say about it really, as i have raved in the past already about how beautifully designed it is.
The attractions are of course great, but it is the exterior variety of building facades that absolutely enchant me to no end.

Spent a lot of time here just looking at the settings outside.
I love the variety, and the incredible details. The more you stare at it..the more you discover. I LOVE that aspect of this entire land.
SO much is there if you take the time to slow down and study what is right in front of you.

Also enjoyed visiting the Pinocchio Village Haus and delighting in all the indoor eye candy present there. Just wow.
The dark-ride next door is a favorite of mine, also in a beautifully themed show building.

Since this was a Tony Baxter inspired themed Tour, hanging out and spending some quality time in Fantasyland seemed a natural.
The entire environment had a great vibe to it thanks to the visually appealing setting.
I have to admit he was on my mind a lot....and views like this reminded me on a regular basis who i had to thank for such a charming vista -

Photos like this remind me so much of Tony's amazing themed home.
This photo of the model he made to design his house shows the similar elements and could totally fit right in Fantasyland.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
The clock in the above post is gorgeous! Where in Fantasyland is it located?

It is beautiful, is'nt it?
I love the painted scroll work and flowering vine. Exquisite!

If you look closely at the clock face, it has all the astrological signs, as well as tiny sculptures of the Sun and Moon on the hands.

For a piece of high-end collectible merchandise, Disney should consider marketing a resin sculpture that is a actual desk top clock based on this.
Hey, i would buy one...

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Continuing the Tour now...

One of several places in Fantasyland i focused on was 'Snow White's Scary Adventures'.
Still slightly miffed about the closing on this attraction at WDW, exspecially since Tony worked hands-on in installing that version...grrr..!
So this ride, as well as Mr. Toad's, were two i gravitated towards.

I am just going to focus on the awesome outside facade....packed with details.

The more you look, the more you will find...just like the rest of the Park, but even more pronounced here in Fantasyland.
I love those gothic light fixtures.
Notice how the metalwork on the front door resemble reptilian creatures.
Of course we all know about the golden apple...

Another view -

The 'stabbed heart' sculpts at the base...noticed these when looking at my photos.
The birds of prey holding the skulls above...and of course the Evil Queen glancing out of the upper window once in a while.
Epicness deluxe.

Elsewhere, to the left of the entrance where this photo was taken, are columns with designs that cleverly incorporate all Seven Dwarfs.
I noticed this standing in the queue for Peter Pan's Flight...from across the walkway.
I spend a lot of time looking over these buildings.

Inside is just as eyecatching and detailed.
Once you enter the queue you are immediately greeted with a spooky scene of the Queen's underground lair.
Beautifully lit...with some awesome sculptured dragons.

One of my favourite shots from the venture -
The table in the Queen's lair....with her spell book.

On the table you can see multitudes of coins tossed in by Guests.
Why someone would want to make a wish in the Queen's lair i have not a clue...but hey,...each their own.
Maybe wishes with 'evil intent'...?
;)

Another view from her lair, this time the dragon sculpture on the wall above the fireplace.
This looks even better in person...

Even the exit had visual delights post-ride...check out this amazing gate.
And to think most Guests likely bypass this without even noticing how neat it is....

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom