The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Fantasy Faire is what used to be Carnation Plaza Gardens, and it was considered to be Main Street. You could buy food there, years ago, but during its last years, it became a spot for performances and swing dancing.
THANK YOU for this confirmation, Raven!
See, i knew a DL expert could tell me in like 20 seconds....
Mystery solved...!
:)

Well then...i will just have to take Cosmic Commando's advice and buy a ice cream on Main Street and trek over to the Faire.
Gatta have a cone in honor of that ex-scooper...

TuffyCatt

I am far from knowledgeable about Tony Baxter or Disneyland, but I am a fan of learning about both! Anyway, I was watching the 50th Anniversary Sleeping Beauty DVD and was thrilled to find the in-depth feature about the original Sleeping Beauty Castle walk through, which Tony Baxter put together and hosts on the DVD. I was very excited to come on here and recommend that, but of course it's on your map already. :) Should have known!

I love this idea - thanks for sharing it and I can't wait to hear about your trip! :D

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I am far from knowledgeable about Tony Baxter or Disneyland, but I am a fan of learning about both! Anyway, I was watching the 50th Anniversary Sleeping Beauty DVD and was thrilled to find the in-depth feature about the original Sleeping Beauty Castle walk through, which Tony Baxter put together and hosts on the DVD. I was very excited to come on here and recommend that, but of course it's on your map already. :) Should have known!

I love this idea - thanks for sharing it and I can't wait to hear about your trip! :D
Thank you TuffyCatt for the enthusiasim and interest !

The purpose of this thread is three-fold:

Share the experience i will be having with others who have a interest in DL, particularly those who are fans of Mr. Baxter*s works,

Enlighten those not overly familiar with the many touches Tony has made to Disneyland, and perhaps use *edutainment* to help folks learn more about what he has done there,

AND...

Provide a fun and unique trip-report of the Tour post-event with (hopefully) many photos giving readers a real sense of seeing the Park from a Baxter-laden viewpoint.

So if you dig Tony*s work...and want to take a fun Jeep ride into his jungle.....then this is the thread for you!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
So let*s go ahead and get started with some *edutainment*....

It dawned on me the other day that there is likely some folks who may not understand what all the points of interest are noted on the *Baxterland Map* i shared earlier.
Well...i am more than happy to talk about this topic....so allow me to elaborate on all the stops planned and the *whys* behind them.

Why are THESE particular attractions/locations/distractions included in the *Tony Baxter Tour Of Disneyland*?

Grab some popcorn...and have a seat on the bench.
Time for some stories, legends, and maybe insights.

Most here will probably already be aware of several of these, but for those not familiar ....enjoy!
If i have missed something, please do feel free to bring it to my attention and i will add it to the list.

As a refresher, so you don*t have to click back a page, here is the Baxterland Map:

So starting in Critter Country, on the upper left-hand side of the map, we begin with...

*Tony*s River Run* ( aka *Splash Mountain*)
I call a lot of Tony*s attractions by nicknames...and *Splash* is no exception.
The nickname is related to his original name for the attraction, *Zip-a-Dee River Run*.
The photo shown is of Mr. Baxter adding some details to a elaborate model of SM back in the mid-1980s.

I think everyone already is aware of his involvement with the creation of this sensational water flume attraction, so i will not elaborate.
Tony and his friends John Stone and Bruce Gorden did some amazing things here.

A attraction i forgot to add to the Map was the Winnie the Pooh dark ride....as Tony also had a hand in it*s development. I touched on this oversight earlier.

Moving on now...onto New Orleans Square.
Here we stop at the Haunted Mansion and reflect on it*s many wonders.
Tony himself can give you a nice overview via this video -

I was recently told that Tony had the pleasure of being one of the opening day *butlers* here, and actually had the pleasure of riding the attraction during Cast Previews back in the day. He saw the famous 'Hat Box Ghost' in action and has told stories of how cool an effect it was. He is added here to the Baxterland Map for his stint at this attraction.

New Orleans Square is also home to the famous *Club 33*, which is next on the Map.
Walt Disney*s private club is located next door to the Blue Bayou restaurant.
You have to be a Member to be able to enter and dine here, but it is a worthy spot to add to the Map even if just for passing by.
Tony is of course a well known Member of Club 33, and recently had a spectacular retirement party thrown for him here by his friends and associates of yore a couple of months ago.

Across from New Orleans Square is the Rivers of America.
Here is where Tony was developing the much talked about *Discovery Bay* concept for DL back in the mid-1970s.
The photo on the Map shows him holding up his hand drawn concept art of the redesigned area...a beautiful piece by the way....

Here is another photo showing him working on a detailed model based on that concept painting -

Although it was not built at Disneyland ( yet...!) many design aspects of Discovery Bay were indeed built for and included in Discoveryland at *Tony*s Park*, Disneyland Paris.

Coming up next -
Adventureland !

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Alright...so you are looking for some adventure Baxter-style...
You have come to the right place on the Baxterland Map : Adventureland ( center, bottom left )

Here you can scale heights both physically and creatively :

Physically - *Tony*s Treehouse* ( aka Tarzan*s Treehouse)
Creatively - *Tony*s Temple Of Wonders* ( aka Indiana Jones Adventure )

Let us start with the treehouse...

The story goes that the original attraction, *Swiss Family Treehouse* was slated to be demolished to make way for a gift shop. Tony protested and proposed giving the attraction a more contemporary overlay, based on the then new animated effort *Tarzan* which was released that Summer.
Suggesting this saved the treehouse, and with a small budget allotted to the project, his team transformed it into the state it is today.

Now let*s touch on perhaps one of his own personal favorite projects he was involved in :
The eye popping *Indiana Jones Adventure*.
This is another attraction i think most readers here are already well aware of Tony*s association with, so no real elaboration needed.
However, i will touch on a few things of related interest.

The level of detail present in every square inch of this attraction is stunning.
Be sure to use this handy card shown below to decipher the hidden cryptic messages within the Temple....i swear somewhere in there is Tony*s name written on the wall !

His name IS hidden in the attraction....on one of the transport vehicles.
See if you can spot it as they pass by you while waiting in the loading area.
Look on the back end of the vehicles, on the side. Those random letters and numbers mean things... and one of those transports has Tony written all over it, so to speak.

Of course the queue is famous for being just as detailed as the ride itself, with it*s own hidden delights.
Pull the rope, shake the bamboo pole...and have fun *being twelve* like the man himself likes to do !

One word description- *Spectacular*

Up next on the Map :
Main Street, USA
This is where is all began ....

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Alrighty....

On to Main Street USA
The area on the Baxterland Map, for those following along :

So looking at the Map from left to right, we cover his interest in trains, his upcoming Main Street Window, his very beginnings working for the Company, one of his fave shopping spots, and the delights to be had at the Opera House.

Probably the highlight of Main Street for me related to Tony is that THIS is the place where he quite literally started his career with the Disney organization.
This is represented on the Map by the photo of 18 year old Tony...how he appeared back in the day.

The tale of how it all began is well known : At 17 1/2 he applied for a job at Disneyland, and started working at the Carnation Plaza Gardens ( where Fantasy Faire is now ) scooping ice cream. He then moved on to working some Tomorrowland Attractions, which i will cover when we move into that area of the Map.

So Main Street means a lot ....in relation to the Baxterland perspective.
He wanted a job at DL so he could learn as much as he could about how everything worked...from the inside out...and often during his lunch breaks he would sneak over to other attractions and peer into backstage areas.

Here is a photo of Tony standing in front of Fantasy Faire, some steps away from where it all started for him -

The recent honor Tony is soon to receive is to have a window on Main Street in DL.
This is one of the highest honors the Disney Company can give, and only those who have had a huge and lasting impact on the Park(s) and the Company in general are honored in this way.
A specially designed window is created that relates to the honorees contribution or primary talent. When the actual window is revealed, the honoree receives a special miniature scale model one to keep as their own.

This honor is extra meaningful in regards to Mr. Baxter...since Main Street in DL is where he started his long journey all those years ago.
He already has a window present on Main Street in Disneyland Paris (fittingly so..) but having one in *Walt*s Park* is a major personal honor for him i am sure.
I cannot think of anyone more deserving.

The photo shown on the Map representing the soon-to-be-known location of Tony*s Main Street Window is represented by this one : The Sherman Brothers window unveiling -

Next up is The Disney Gallery, which i believe has been moved from where i may have placed it on the Map.
The photo shown on the Map is of Tony holding a copy of a recently released art book related to Disney Theme Park attraction posters.

The Disney Gallery has moved a few times over the years.
Tony was involved in the design for the Disney Gallery when it was once housed in the space above the POTC attraction in the early 2000s. It was like a museum showcasing the history of WDI and the Park in general. The place was like a walk through attraction all it*s own!
The Gallery was sadly removed and turned into the *Dream Suite* during the *Year of a Million Dreams* Park promotion for a few years ago.
It was moved to Main Street...and i think recently i heard it has been moved yet again into a much smaller space at the Opera House ( DL experts...please chime in..!)

The last stop on Main Street is the fabulous Opera House, which is home to *Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln*.
The original presentation of this show is closely associated with Walt Disney, as he was a big fan of Mr. Lincoln.

Tony had a lot of influence with the reworking of the current version of the presentation, and the upgrades and enhancements to the show are fantastic. The latest generation of Audio-Animatronics arrived with the debut of the amazingly realistic Abe figure who appears onstage during the show. Stunning !

Another more interesting aspect of the Lincoln presentation is that Mr. Baxter has a very personal tie to the original presentation....
Seeing the original debut of * Great Moments * inspired him to get a job at DL to begin with !
Read on...

After seeing Mr. Lincoln on Main Street during its opening weekend in the Summer of 1965, Tony was so impressed with the new show that he went down to the Harbor Blvd. offices the next day and applied for a job.
He won a position, and happliy began working as a DL CM three weeks later.
So when you are seated in the theatre ...and the show is about to begin...remember that lean college-bound teenage who was enjoying his summer off from school.

The lobby area of the Opera House contains some memorabilia related to DIsneyland*s history, and i remember last year the collection was quite impressive and entertaining.
Huge models, great concept art, and a complete overview of the creation of the Park and it*s various attractions. I have heard that recently this has changed, with part of the lobby now a retail space and some of the models removed ( Splash Mountain being one..).

In this area until a few months ago there was also displayed in a large glass cabinet a selection of Park Ticket Books. These were from Mr. Baxter*s own personal collection, as he is a avid collector.
The photo on the Map shows Tony standing over the display case during a special fan event a few years ago.
He loaned some of his tickets from a personal collection to Disney for this display and they were here for a few years.
The were removed a few months ago unfortunately.

Now before we leave Main Street and venture off to another area of Baxterland, there is one more stop : The Hub.
There used to be olive trees here originally...and in the mid-1990s when the hub was being re-designed the decision was made by those in charge that these old trees *had to go* as it was felt they were blocking views of the Castle.

Who steps in and offers to take them away to beautify his own property?
Yep...you guessed it....

Tony as a teen standing under one of those trees at DL...and Tony more recently at his home standing with the same tree!
They are now happily continuing to grow at Baxter Manor.

So when you are standing in the Hub, and looking at what greenery is currently there, think of Mr. Baxter.

Next up:
Tomorrowland...!

Last edited:

IndianaJones

So let*s go ahead and get started with some *edutainment*....

It dawned on me the other day that there is likely some folks who may not understand what all the points of interest are noted on the *Baxterland Map* i shared earlier.
Well...i am more than happy to talk about this topic....so allow me to elaborate on all the stops planned and the *whys* behind them.

Why are THESE particular attractions/locations/distractions included in the *Tony Baxter Tour Of Disneyland*?

Grab some popcorn...and have a seat on the bench.
Time for some stories, legends, and maybe insights.

Most here will probably already be aware of several of these, but for those not familiar ....enjoy!
If i have missed something, please do feel free to bring it to my attention and i will add it to the list.

As a refresher, so you don*t have to click back a page, here is the Baxterland Map:

So starting in Critter Country, on the upper left-hand side of the map, we begin with...

*Tony*s River Run* ( aka *Splash Mountain*)
I call a lot of Tony*s attractions by nicknames...and *Splash* is no exception.
The nickname is related to his original name for the attraction, *Zip-a-Dee River Run*.
The photo shown is of Mr. Baxter adding some details to a elaborate model of SM back in the mid-1980s.

I think everyone already is aware of his involvement with the creation of this sensational water flume attraction, so i will not elaborate.
Tony and his friends John Stone and Bruce Gorden did some amazing things here.

A attraction i forgot to add to the Map was the Winnie the Pooh dark ride....as Tony also had a hand in it*s development. I touched on this oversight earlier.

Moving on now...onto New Orleans Square.
Here we stop at the Haunted Mansion and reflect on it*s many wonders.
Tony himself can give you a nice overview via this video -

I was recently told that Tony had the pleasure of being one of the opening day *butlers* here...but i have yet to have been able to confirm that date-wise.
I added it to the Map regardless, if for nothing else, because he loves the Mansion just like the rest of us.

New Orleans Square is also home to the famous *Club 33*, which is next on the Map.
Walt Disney*s private club is located next door to the Blue Bayou restaurant.
You have to be a Member to be able to enter and dine here, but it is a worthy spot to add to the Map even if just for passing by.
Tony is of course a well known Member of Club 33, and recently had a spectacular retirement party thrown for him here by his friends and associates of yore a couple of months ago.

Across from New Orleans Square is the Rivers of America.
Here is where Tony was developing the much talked about *Discovery Bay* concept for DL back in the mid-1970s.
The photo on the Map shows him holding up his hand drawn concept art of the redesigned area...a beautiful piece by the way....

Here is another photo showing him working on a detailed model based on that concept painting -

Although it was not built at Disneyland ( yet...!) many design aspects of Discovery Bay were indeed built for and included in Discoveryland at *Tony*s Park*, Disneyland Paris.

Coming up next -
Adventureland !

I hate hat Discovery Bay isn't a place we get to visit. I just think that it would have been such a fantastic addition to Disneyland.

Great three updates. Cool to see some description to go along with the map. Excited to hear about how your trip goes!

IndianaJones

Heh... Ever heard of Indiana Jones and the Lost Expedition? It will make you cry.
I like to pretend that I haven't heard about it....:banghead:

I love reading the stuff over at The Neverland Files. We have our own "what could have beens" Down here at WDW. Beastly Kingdom anyone?

But yeah The Lost Expedition would have been unreal. I still think it would fit pretty well down here in our Adventureland...;)

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

I like to pretend that I haven't heard about it....:banghead:

I love reading the stuff over at The Neverland Files. We have our own "what could have beens" Down here at WDW. Beastly Kingdom anyone?

But yeah The Lost Expedition would have been unreal. I still think it would fit pretty well down here in our Adventureland...;)

Who is "our"?

Cosmic Commando

C'mon, just's just all get our cry out now...

indianajonesandthelostexpedition1.jpg

Figments Friend

Original Poster
EPIC artwork.
I am not overly familiar with this proposed attraction...it looks like a Indiana Jones version of the old Thunder Mesa concept of yore.
Perhaps i need to research that slice of delight...

Yeah, count me in as one who thought Discovery Bay would have rocked...but i still have faith that it will someday happen. As has been said in the halls of WDI : *A good idea never goes away..*
This is why i noted *future home of Discovery Bay* on the Baxterland Map...i am not giving up hope !
;)

The Bay was a huge personal pet project of Tony*s that he tried several times to get built.
It was a personal goal for him, thus why we have seen aspects of it elsewhere, or it*s influence rubbed off in other areas...namely DLP and even some bits in DLs Tomorrowland.
I love the look and feel of Discoveryland at DLP.
You can definately trace back some of those design elements to the original Bay concept.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I hate hat Discovery Bay isn't a place we get to visit. I just think that it would have been such a fantastic addition to Disneyland.

Great three updates. Cool to see some description to go along with the map. Excited to hear about how your trip goes!

Agree...it would have been a nice addition.

Thank you for the compliments, and encouragement.
I thought it would make things interesting here pre-visit covering some of the points on the Map.
Glad to hear you are enjoying !

Four days to go....just printed out my Indiana Jones Code Card to take with me.
I have quite a mental list of fun Baxter-inspired photographs i hope to snap.

Speaking of our favorite adventure ride....i forgot a story related to *Tony*s Temple of Wonders*.
The story of what inspired him to create the great scene in the ride where the boulder is rolling down towards you, and it seems your transport vehicle is backing up trying to avoid the sudden present danger.

He was in a car wash one afternoon...and during the cleaning process suddenly felt nervous as it seemed his car was rolling backwards all of a sudden. Tony steps on the brake, but then soon realizes he was fooled by a optical illusion created by the car wash cleaner brushes. As they moved by the car, it gave the impression of moving backwards at one point.
So he remembered this...and it was incorporated into the Indiana Jones Adventure during that key scene.
Since the ride system could not reverse the vehicles on the track during normal operation, it was the perfect solution to create the illusion of your vehicle trying to back away from the danger of being squashed by the huge boulder.
Genuis....absolute genuis.
Thought i would share that story.

So next time that boulder is bearing down on you...watch the walls on either side of you, and think of Tony sitting in his car that afternoon stepping on his brake peddle !

Last edited:

IndianaJones

EPIC artwork.
I am not overly familiar with this proposed attraction...it looks like a Indiana Jones version of the old Thunder Mesa concept of yore.
Perhaps i need to research that slice of delight...

Yeah, count me in as one who thought Discovery Bay would have rocked...but i still have faith that it will someday happen. As has been said in the halls of WDI : *A good idea never goes away..*
This is why i noted *future home of Discovery Bay* on the Baxterland Map...i am not giving up hope !
;)

The Bay was a huge personal pet project of Tony*s that he tried several times to get built.
It was a personal goal for him, thus why we have seen aspects of it elsewhere, or it*s influence rubbed off in other areas...namely DLP and even some bits in DLs Tomorrowland.
I love the look and feel of Discoveryland at DLP.
You can definately trace back some of those design elements to the original Bay concept.

http://www.theneverlandfiles.com/tnf/disneyland/indianajonesandthelostexpedition.php

So sad that this never happened.

Ha! Lost Expedition is ours (Disneyland's).

Just let me dream about us getting some cool toys in Florida. Hopefully we get Star Wars Land at DHS but I'm not holding my breath.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom