The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Hello All...

I have been thinking about starting this thread for a while now, and hesitated for some time...but tonight i have finally caved in and said 'Why the heck not..?'
This is a Disney Park fan forum after all, and my personal fave.
Folks here are probably more likely to find this upcoming adventure of interest, or at least somewhat entertaining...

In about two weeks i will be revisiting Disneyland, and i am fairly excited about it.
Coming from the East Coast to the Left is always 'exciting'...but this year i sense the visit will be extra-special.

And with good reason.
I am taking , what i am calling, the 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland'...!

Now before i confuse folks, this is not a ACTUAL 'tour'...so put the phones down that you have the Disneyland Tours booking number on. Put em' down !
This is just a fun, fan thingy...i made up just for the joy of it.

My tour plan is simple :
Visit Disneyland Resort and hit every attraction Tony has been involved in, in some shape or form...savor it....repeat...!

Full 'trip report' when i return...well, IF i return....who knows what happens in the wilds of Anaheim !
:)

Dates: Tuesday September 10th thru Saturday September 14th

So this is where YOU, fair reader, get to join in the fun.
I am looking for suggestions from those-in-the-know.
Besides attractions...name some choice places i should add that would fit the theme.
Stuff that relates to Tony in some way, shape, or form.

A couple of things i already have on the 'to-do' list, one being checking out the model of BTMR located in the 'Frontierland' buildings' lobby at the DL Hotel.

What else of interest should a serious Baxter fan experience while in town...?

I debated wether or not i should start this thread now, or wait until after the visit.
I decided to create it before, in the hopes of gaining further insights into places or things worth checking out that i may miss otherwise.
So this is not your typical 'what should i do/see at DL' thread.
This is a 'themed experience'...just like the Park itself!
Hey, would Tony want it any other way...?
:D

I blew off my usual September visit to WDW in favor of DL primarily for the fun experience of exploring DL on my own with this themed overlay to the visit.
I practically 'live' at WDW, so to get out and get back into the 'original' was very appealing.
Add into that my entusiasim and appreciation of Tony's work over the years, and i figured now is the time to visit again.
The idea for the 'themed tour' made it all the more appealing....not that one needs such a excuse to re-visit!

I actually originally considered organizing a small fan gathering...but decided that this might not be a good idea.
So let's hear your thoughts, suggestions, and interesting info!

Now...if only that Main Street Window ceremony was happening while i was in town....whoa...that would be EPIC..!

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

I don't think he was involved with Star Tours: The Adventures Continue and I think he was pushed off of the Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage.

Cosmic Commando

He scooped ice cream at Carnation Plaza Gardens, so get some ice cream from the Gibson Girl and carry it over to Fantasy Faire?

He first met his mentor, Claude Coats, while he was working at CPG and trying to sneak a backstage peek at Pirates while it was under construction.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I'm far from in the know so I can't help you there, but I will be paying attention to this thread. This seems like a really fun idea. Try not to have too much fun or us othe East Coasters might get jealous.
Thank you Dr. Jones...wise advice. I will keep this thread as entertaining as possible.
Pre-visit i have a couple of images to share here...one being a fun map called 'Baxterland'!
Post-visit i will hopefully have a slew of photos to share of the 'Tour'...

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
He scooped ice cream at Carnation Plaza Gardens, so get some ice cream from the Gibson Girl and carry it over to Fantasy Faire?

He first met his mentor, Claude Coats, while he was working at CPG and trying to sneak a backstage peek at Pirates while it was under construction.
Thank you Cosmic for the suggestion.
One of the other 'must dos' on the Tour list i had in mind was to indeed have a ice cream on Main Street in honor of that lil' ex-scooper we all know and love.
The big question was, which establishment is the correct one?
I am guessing the eatery on the street....and not the Plaza Inn.
I get the impression the names have changed over the years, as we now have the Carnation Cafe, and the Plaza Inn. Which one is the spot?

Do either of them even serve ice cream these days.. as in on a cone?
I checked the menus of both a few weeks ago and did not notice any.

Gibson Girl is usually a must every visit ..but it would be cool to actually get a cone at 'where it all started' for Tony.

I love the story about Tony sneaking over during his lunch breaks as a CM back in the day and trying to get a peek at 'Pirates' while it was being built.
The fact that Claude spotted him and respected his keen interest is the stuff of legends.
Claude could have just brushed the kid off...and shooed him away, but the fact that he did not was quite nice.
Who would have ever have guessed a few years down the road he would end up being Tony's mentor?
Love that tale....thanks for reminding me about it.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Here is a nutty idea only a die-hard Parks fan would likely appreciate:

Riding 'Splash Mountain' and holding up a 8 1/2 X 11 laminated photo of Tony during the drop just as the on-ride camera snaps your photo.

Epic...or insane...?

I will admit it : i have actually thought about it.
The inspiration came from seeing a lot of those college grad day photos. NO, i am not talking about 'flash mountain' photos...heh hehe..i mean the more humorous ( and family friendly) ones!
There is a series online if you search images for 'Disneyland Splash Mountain' featuring college kids in all these hilarious poses...eating cereal ( with boxes ), playing cards, all with props and good clean humor.

If you sit in the very back of the log, you would not block any of the Guests heads....as i would not want to ruin another Guests' photo if they wanted it.
If they were in the know, i would think the other riders would snap up their photo like crazy...!
How often do you get to have a photo of yourself on DLs SM with one of it's creators?

RandomPrincess

Keep Moving Forward

Riding 'Splash Mountain' and holding up a laminated photo of Tony during the drop just as the on-ride camera snaps your photo.

Epic...or insane...?

The inspiration came from seeing a lot of those college grad day photos. NO, i am not talking about 'flash mountain' photos...heh hehe..i mean the more humorous ( and family friendly) ones!
There is a series online if you search images for 'Disneyland Splash Mountain' featuring college kids in all these hilarious poses...eating cereal ( with boxes ), playing cards, all with props and good clean humor.

If you sit in the very back of the log, you would not block any of the Guests heads....as i would not want to ruin another Guests' photo if they wanted it.
If they were in the know, i would think the other riders would snap up their photo like crazy...!
How often do you get to have a photo of yourself on DLs SM with one of it's creators?
I say do it!

Californian Elitist

Riding 'Splash Mountain' and holding up a 8 1/2 X 11 laminated photo of Tony during the drop just as the on-ride camera snaps your photo.

Epic...or insane...?

My friend and I are planning on doing something like that one day, but with pirate swords. Do it.

Cosmic Commando

Epic...or insane...?

That's not nutty... doing it with a fake Tony Baxter mustache would be nutty!

I was also curious where he worked on MSUSA when I first read your post, and his Disney Legend page is the only place that mentions an actual location: Carnation Plaza Gardens. That's why I suggested bringing the ice cream to the Fantasy Faire.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
That's not nutty... doing it with a fake Tony Baxter mustache would be nutty!

I was also curious where he worked on MSUSA when I first read your post, and his Disney Legend page is the only place that mentions an actual location: Carnation Plaza Gardens. That's why I suggested bringing the ice cream to the Fantasy Faire.

Yeah, it is one of the mysteries one has to go researching..which is part of the fun!

There have been several interviews over the years where Tony has talked about his early days working the Park and the Carnation Plaza Gardens has come up before.

I was also curious as to which specific location he is talking about, as the familiar Plaza Gardens is not technically on Main Street, at least per location-wise.
The other two establishments in question share parts of the name, but i don*t know which of the two it could be. It makes me think maybe the names might have been changed slightly.

Always wanted to know where it was back in the day.
I am no expert by any means when it comes to DL....or it*s monumental past history.
A DL buff probably could tell me in two seconds!
( waits patiently...)

One thing i sure could use now is a 1960s map of DL...that lists it !
Must go on a quest....

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Yeah, it is one of the mysteries one has to go researching..which is part of the fun!

There have been several interviews over the years where Tony has talked about his early days working the Park and the Carnation Plaza Gardens has come up before.

I was also curious as to which specific location he is talking about, as the familiar Plaza Gardens is not technically on Main Street, at least per location-wise.
The other two establishments in question share parts of the name, but i don*t know which of the two it could be. It makes me think maybe the names might have been changed slightly.

Always wanted to know where it was back in the day.
I am no expert by any means when it comes to DL....or it*s monumental past history.
A DL buff probably could tell me in two seconds!
( waits patiently...)

One thing i sure could use now is a 1960s map of DL...that lists it !
Must go on a quest....

Fantasy Faire is what used to be Carnation Plaza Gardens, and it was considered to be Main Street. You could buy food there, years ago, but during its last years, it became a spot for performances and swing dancing.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Gotta say, this is amazing. Do you mind if I save this and potentially do it some day?
I would be honored by that, Dr. Jones.

For a Baxter fan, it covers all the highlights...exspecially your fave, "Tony's Temple of Wonders" ( aka - 'Indiana Jones Adventure' ).

I can already see i forgot to include of couple of items on the Baxterland Map that he was also involved in- New Fantastyland, and the Pooh & Friends dark ride. Dang it..!

Well, i was running out of space...Tony has done a LOT there, and it was a challange to cram it all into one piece of paper! :D
I did not have photos of Tony enjoying either of those areas/attractions so this is likely why it was also missed. Collecting up the various images was a fun project in itself.

I think having the 'World Headquarters for the Tony Baxter Fan Club' located smack dab between Fantasyland and ToonTown on the Map covers the nod to New Fantasyland.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom