The fabulous 'Tony Baxter Tour of Disneyland' - a venture

IndianaJones

Speaking of our favorite adventure ride....i forgot a story related to *Tony*s Temple of Wonders*.
The story of what inspired him to create the great scene in the ride where the boulder is rolling down towards you, and it seems your transport vehicle is backing up trying to avoid the sudden present danger.

He was in a car wash one afternoon...and during the cleaning process suddenly felt nervous as it seemed his car was rolling backwards all of a sudden. Tony steps on the brake, but then soon realizes he was fooled by a optical illusion created by the car wash cleaner brushes. As they moved by the car, it gave the impression of moving backwards at one point.
So he remembered this...and it was incorporated into the Indiana Jones Adventure during that key scene.
Since the ride system could not reverse the vehicles on the track during normal operation, it was the perfect solution to create the illusion of your vehicle trying to back away from the danger of being squashed by the huge boulder.
Genuis....absolute genuis.
Thought i would share that story.

So next time that boulder is bearing down on you...watch the walls on either side of you, and think of Tony sitting in his car that afternoon stepping on his brake peddle !
Yeah I had seen that somewhere. It is without a doubt my favorite part of the ride and every time I get my car washed I think about it. Maybe it helps that I'm playing the Raiders March at the same time.

Figments Friend

Original Poster

IndianaJones

Many thanks for this Dr. Jones.
:)

It would have been absolutely epic indeed...love how the plan originally called for the DL RR and Jungle Cruise being able to view portions of the inside atmosphere alone while on their own little journeys.
Wowee...

The Mine coaster would have been interesting too.
I think my favorite part would've actually been the Jungle Cruise going through that. Not that everything else wouldn't have been amazing, but what a tease it would have been to float through there and see everything!

Who knows? We can keep the dream alive.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Speaking of journeys into the unknown.....let us continue along the Baxterland Map now into Tomorrowland :

Now before i go any further, i have to say that when the two words 'Tony Baxter' and 'Tomorrowland' come up in conversation with Park fans things can sometimes turn ugly. I would rather they not, as the topic of what happened with TL98' is a big can of worms for some folks and this is meant to be a positive and fun venture.
So no bad jokes now..hold back on any political dramas... and please keep your arms and legs inside the rocket at all times. Thank you!

I will say THIS however -
Tony had some awesome plans for TL that unfortunately never saw full realization due to budget decimations.
Most already know the story that is indeed quite a saga...so i will not elaborate, but in a nutshell their were epic plans and they were shot down for various, unhappy, reasons.

Some say that there still are epic plans set aside for TL...and Tony had been pushing for them to finally get realized right up until he stepped away from his full-time position at WDI. Fantasty Faire and this long talked about 'new epic TL plan' were rumored to be his two last major projects as a SVP.

I would like to see TL at Disneyland get some love...we all know it needs to be 'finished' and given a refresh to boot. Methinks Tony would like to see that happen, too.

Okay, so with that now off my chest...let us move across the Baxterland Map with fresh eyes.

First stop on the Map :
Astro Orbiter

One of the remnants that was included in the original 'epic TL plan' was built, but in a location some die hard fans have questioned.
I like the look of it....very Tony if you are aware of his other interests ( believe it or not, more then just Disney ! )

Of course it would have looked great up high where the original Jets used to be, but for various reasons ( some safety ) it was relocated at the entrance to TL.
I don't have a problem being reminded of Tony when i see it there in the Hub...
.....but then again, i guess i am Baxter bias. :p

The photo on the Map representing his influence here at this attraction ( and Land as a whole ) is a shot of Tony doing his impersonation of Astronaut Figment.
Well..sort of of.
He is actually just posing in front of a authentic DL retro spacesuit costume that used to be worn in TL by performers of yore in the 60's.

Next up on the Map :
Star Tours

Another flagship attraction most fans are already aware of Tony's involvement with.
He counts meeting George Lucas for the first time as one of the high points of his life.
Here is one of the two photos on the Map representing this attraction - Tony with a beardless George reviewing some concept art for the entrance to Star Tours -

The other photo shown on the Map is of Mr. Baxter dressed as a Star Tours CM on the night of the original attractions 'final flight' a few years ago.

Tony was instrumental is bringing Star Wars to DL, and the feeling was that park goers wanted something that they could relate to as their 'own'.
The Star Wars universe was seen as a modern-day legend that was similar to the classic fairy tales of yore in relation to far-reaching appeal, and steps were taken to bring it into the fold for a attraction.
After a few years of searching for the perfect way to take Guests into the Star Wars universe, a motion-simulator technology was discovered in Europe.
Tony and his team adapted the unit and made it fit perfectly into their idea of using it to recreate a feeling of flying through starfields and battling with Imperial forces.
Here is a nice photo of Tony posed in front of some concept art of the transport shuttle, while the actual unit is being built in the background -

Needless to say the attraction was a huge success....and even Lord Vader regularly takes a trip to Disneyland to experience it...!

Next on the Map is 'Captain Eo', represented by a photo taken on the day when the attraction re-opened as the 'Captain Eo Tribute'.
Tony had some involvement in this attraction, and had some influence in getting it back in the Park after it was pulled out some years ago.

Here is a photo of some fans at the re-opening enjoying Tony's company -

More to come....

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Continuing our journey in Tomorrowland....

The next stop on the Map is a flashback to Tony's Cast Member past, namely 'Adventures Through Innerspace'.

This was a popular omnimover attraction for old-school Disneyland fans, and it was one of the attractions that Tony worked as a CM.
The attraction closed in the mid 80's and was replaced with Star Tours.

The photo on the Map shows Tony holding a small model of the ride vehicle designed for the 'Innerspace' attraction that he has in his own personal collection of Disney memorabilia.
Here is the larger image, taken at his home.

Putting right along now....
Our next stop is 'Autopia'.

Not a lot to say about it, but Tony did do some work on the latest refurb of this attraction a few years back.
The photo on the Map is from the re-opening of the attraction after the re-do...with Mr. Baxter holding a toy Autopia car that was being offered for sale in the Park at that time.

Last on our stops around Tomorrowland is the often talked about 'Submarine Voyage'.

The photo on the Map shows the grand opening of the 'Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage'
Tony poses for the photographers with *Nemo* film director/writer Andrew Stanton and Pixar head John Lasseter.

This was the other attraction Tony worked as a Cast Member back in the day, and he has a real fondness for the original version of this attraction.
That appreciation he had for the orignal Subs helped him later when he was soon hired by WDI.
His mentor Claude Coats sent him off to the wilds of Florida to oversee the building of WDWs beloved '20,000 Leagues Under The Sea' attraction in the early 1970s, among other tasks.
The trip was Tony's first airplane ride..and he was slightly intimidated by the prospect of having to give direction to construction workers almost twice his age.
It all worked out however, and everyone ended up mutually benefitting from the experience.

Here is a great photo taken during one of the first major refurbs of the attraction at WDW...with Tony shown seated on one of the concrete beams used to guide the underwater submarines around the lagoon.
Man i miss this attraction...loved the little tribute to him in the on-ride audio ..!

Another photo, this time of Mr. Baxter standing tall on one of the submarines.

So getting back to Disneyland now....
When the Subs there were closed after several years of operation there was talk of them being removed for good.
Mr. Baxter felt they should remain, and over a few years time he kept trying to come up with ideas for refreshing the attraction but these kept getting dismissed. Nobody above him seemed interested in keeping this expensive to maintain attraction going unless it involved doing a character-driven contemporary overlay.

Tony waited and watched as a few Disney animated features were released.
'Atlantis' and 'Treasure Planet' both came and went without much fanfare from the movie going public, but when Pixar's 'Finding Nemo' hit paydirt everyone could see the potential.

Personally, i would have loved to have seen a 'Atlantis' overlay. I get the impression Tony was working towards that goal ..but it was shot down.
The whole steampunk design elements, sci-fi -ish feel , and presence of a fierce sea monster...and sense of adventure and exploration seemed a no brainer to me regardless of the success ( or non-success ) of the animated feature. It would have not only fit perfectly with the attraction as a whole, but it would fit the Tomorrowland theme.

I am not a 'Nemo' fan by any means....not a film i care much for, but if it was a nessesary 'evil' to help insure the Subs still sailed at DL then i cannot argue.
Without the character overlay, the Subs would have likely been junked.
I for one am glad they are still there, regardless of the cartoon-ized theme.

Speaking of cartoons....coming up next :
Fantastyland !

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
And now....on to Fantasyland....here we goooo...!

Of all the 'lands' , i would say Fantasyland has the most obvious 'Baxter Touch'.
The 1983 remodel of the entire land really brought this area into a more cohesive and visually appealing environment.
Tony had a lot to do with that...and oversaw the DL 'New Fantasyland' project with glee.
Thus why on the Baxterland Map we see Fantasyland as the 'World Headquarters of the Tony Baxter Fan Club'.
The perfect spot.

The beautifully themed attraction facades are stunning. I will always remember my first visit to DL seeing Fantastyland.
As a longtime WDW veteran, there was a clear difference in the visual quality of these areas between the two Parks.
Although i don't usually like to 'compare' the two Parks ( both are completely different entities in their own right..) i have to say i prefer the wonderfully quaint and wonderfully themed DL version.

Another aspect of this land that just screams 'Tony Baxter' to me is the fabulous themed attraction facades, in particular Toad Hall.
It reminds me so much of his home, which he custom designed and then had built in a similar style.
Lovingly referred to as 'Baxter Manor', the place could be another theme park entirely. Hey, i would pay admission to explore...

Some photos -
Tony holding the model he built in front of the finished home -

Small photo of that same model on display in his home -

Small photo of one of several fully themed interior spaces at his home -

Master bedroom - The coat or arms above the fireplace Tony made himself.

As far the attractions themselves go, he had a hand ( or two ) in many of them, mostly 'plussing' exsisting rides.

Here is a photo of him at the re-opening of 'It's a Small World' after the recent character overlay...

So returning back to Fantasyland now....

Another attraction Mr. Baxter had a huge influence on was the 'Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk Through', represented on the Map by this picture of Tony showing you some sections of a model made showcasing all the diorama elements -

This charming diversion was previously in the Park, but closed after all the security concerns post 9/11.
Tony had a influence on getting it reopened, and in doing so added some beautiful enhancements.

Coming up : Our last stop on the Baxterland Map -
Frontierland, and 'Tony's Mountain'...!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Frontierland ....home of the most famous Baxter Attraction

What more can be said about 'Tony's Mountain'...?

Big Thunder Mountain Railroad was his first major, self-created and designed attraction for the Park and solidified his career at WDI for being a 'designer' instead of just a 'model maker'.

The story behind it's creation is a great one, but i am sure most reading this are already aware of it.
If not, i highly recommend searching it out...it is quite a inspiring tale.

This project really got the ball rolling for him, and at the time of it's creation it was seen as a landmark due to it's heavily themed nature.
The added thrill of twisting around and through various caves and scenic enhancements made it truly 'the wildest ride in the wilderness'.

Something that is a bit of a fun in-joke is the attraction logo for the BTM Mining Company.
If you look at it, it is actually the initials spelling out 'Tony Baxter Mountain' !
Check it out :

Awesome.

Well that just about wraps up the tour around the Map...
Hope you enjoyed your visit to Baxterland, and have a Magical day !

In three days i take the tour for real, in the flesh.
Cannot WAIT....i am SO ready for this !!!

:D

TuffyCatt

This is seriously the best kind of "edutainment!" :D

Thank you so much for the detailed look at your awesome Baxterland map. For those of us (me) who don't know a lot about the specifics about his involvements with the parks, this was a ton of fun to learn about.

Also, I want to visit his house. For real.

Have a great trip and I can't wait to read all about it!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Don't forget the spirit gum for attaching the fake mustache!
Ha !
Now wait a minute! I promised myself that i would NOT be mistaken for a Disney Employee this time around!

Seriously, the 'stache just would not look as nice on me as it does on Mr. Baxter.
;)

Besides, we all know that gum in 'not allowed' in the Parks anyway...!

I will stick with the original plan : holding up the laminated photo during the 'on ride photo' shoot on 'Tony's River Run'.

I have been having some anxiety about that by the way....not doing the deed, but facing the 'big drop' into the briar patch.
I spent about and hour and a half the other night watching YouTube videos of DL's original version to find out exactly where the camera is and when i need to face it and hold up the photo, and how many seconds i have to roll it back up before the big splashdown soaks me.
Yeah...i like to be prepared.

I need to confess something : as much i as love and appreciate Splash Mountain, i become very intimidated by the drop. I am just not a big fan of falling from high places, and that is coming from someone who is not afraid of heights. I love airplanes...i love being up high. What i don't fancy is suddenly feeling a falling sensation.
It is not the height that is a issue, it has more to do with the dropping sensation.
Just not very keen on that feeling in the pit of my stomach and the big edreniline rush just before the fall and after.

Fine...call me a wimp.....a wuss...a lightweight...but i really have to be in the right state of mind to ride Tony's River Run on any given visit.
Add into that already built-in anxiety and the seemingly 'faster' feeling i get riding the DL Original ( due to the smaller logs and more enclosed chute ) and yeah....i will need to warm up first.

Normally i just ride 'Tony's Mountain' over in Frontierland five or six times to get myself all pumped. Then i am ready for anything...it is GO time, baby.
Well, with the 'Mountain' down this visit due to the refurb, i guess i will have to ride the Matterhorn instead.

After about three or four spins on that, i will head over to the 'River Run' and just suck it up.
Gatta do this for the photo.

I sure hope whoever the CM is working behind the photo 'censoring' booth backstage does not see the pic and think i am holding up some kind of sign.
I don't want to go through all that build up...and end up getting out of the log and seeing that my photo is 'washed away'....!
:jawdrop:

Last edited:

Figments Friend

Original Poster
This is seriously the best kind of "edutainment!" :D

Thank you so much for the detailed look at your awesome Baxterland map. For those of us (me) who don't know a lot about the specifics about his involvements with the parks, this was a ton of fun to learn about.

Also, I want to visit his house. For real.

Have a great trip and I can't wait to read all about it!

Thanks for the interest, TuffyCatt!
Glad you are enjoying!

Tony's place is absolutely AMAZING.
Everything in it's place, and perfectly themed in a overall cohesive environment.
The fact he designed it himself adds to the appeal...and some of the pieces in his memorabilia collection are mind blowing from a fan's standpoint.
He has a lot of interests and it is reflected in several of the items he has.
The entire property is quite impressive and playful all at once.

Cosmic Commando

Normally i just ride 'Tony's Mountain' over in Frontierland five or six times to get myself all pumped. Then i am ready for anything...it is GO time, baby.
Well, with the 'Mountain' down this visit due to the refurb, i guess i will have to ride the Matterhorn instead.

After about three or four spins on that, i will head over to the 'River Run' and just suck it up.
Gatta do this for the photo.
Interesting... so you use the other mountains like a normal (;)) person would use some "liquid courage"?

When I walked in the band just started
The singer couldn't carry a tune in a bucket.
Was on a mission to drown her memory but
I thought no way with all this ruckus.

But after one round with Jose Cuervo
I caught my boots tappin 'long with the beat.
And after two rounds with Jose Cuervo
That band was sounding pretty darn good to me.

Then some stranger asked me dance
And I revealed to her my two left feet.
Said, Don't get me wrong I'm glad you asked
But tonight's about me and an old memory.

Then after three rounds with Jose Cuervo
I let her lead me out on the floor
And after four rounds with Jose Cuervo
I was showin' off moves never seen before.

Well, around five or round six
I forgot what I came to forget.
After round seven or was it eight
I bought a round for the whole dang place!

After nine rounds with Jose Cuervo
They were countin' me out and I was about to give in
The after ten rounds with Jose Cuervo
I lost count and started countin' again!

Figments Friend

Original Poster
-

Indeed.
Well i have to do something to take the edge off the old nerves...

I figure the Matterhorn will be a good stand in.
:happy:

Packing the essentials continues today...with one day to go.
A coast-to-coast flight is long, so bringing some good music to zone out to is a absolute must.
This is a completely themed venture...so ya gotta listen in old-school fashion !

Have to bring some of my DL Park music loop tapes...

Like, the Main Street loop -

Some classic EPCOT Center ride loop tapes are a must too....as is the Splash Mountain ride loops tape.
When i am on the plane descending from 20,000 feet into LAX i will be listening to that one and pretending i am plummeting into the briar patch.

Well, LAX is kinda like a briar patch...right...?

Oh...and i found another pin to add to my hat, right next to the *Tony Baxter Fan Club* one.
Fits the theme of this venture rather well, i thought....

IndianaJones

-

Indeed.
Well i have to do something to take the edge off the old nerves...

I figure the Matterhorn will be a good stand in.

Packing the essentials continues today...with one day to go.
A coast-to-coast flight is long, so bringing some good music to zone out to is a absolute must.
This is a completely themed venture...so ya gotta listen in old-school fashion !

Have to bring some of my DL Park music loop tapes...

Like, the Main Street loop -

Some classic EPCOT Center ride loop tapes are a must too....as is the Splash Mountain ride loops tape.
When i am on the plane descending from 20,000 feet into LAX i will be listening to that one and pretending i am plummeting into the briar patch.

Well, LAX is kinda like a briar patch...right...?

Oh...and i found another pin to add to my hat, right next to the *Tony Baxter Fan Club* one.
Fits the theme of this venture rather well, i thought....

Love the Figment pin.

Should we expect periodic updates while there or just after the trip is over?

Figments Friend

Original Poster
I am glad you brought that subject up, Dr. Jones.

When i travel, i go *technology-free*...no cell phone (do not even own one..), no laptops....nothing.
While there i totally immerse myself in the environment.
I find the tech takes away from the experience a little...so no, there will be no *live coverage* or immediate photo uploads here during the venture.
Sorry about that...wish it were possible on my end this time around, but alas, i am a traditionalist /old-schooler.
That is okay though.....as it fits the theme! Yeah !

HOWEVER....with that said, i MAY be able to do a few updates while on site once a day.
I believe the small hotel i am rooming in has a computer in the lobby for guests to use, mostly for checking e-mail and printing out airline boarding passes. I remember making a mental note regarding this last year....so we shall see.
I will of course keep ya*all in mind ...and try to post something.
Forgive if i get swept off....or end up going off the beaten trail and ending up No Where In Particular.
Dr. Jones, i will be thinking of you when i am at *Tony*s Temple of Wonders*.

Post-venture...well that is a different story!
There will be a detailed adventure overview ...and lots of photos..yes !
I actually have a specially planned photo shoot for one of the days i am in town at DL that is themed specifically to this venture, so i will hopefully have a lot of fun images to share when i return from the wilds of Orange County.

Right now things are looking great on the horizon..
The Parks have been really quiet this past week now that folks are back in school/work and it looks like i will have plenty of roaming space.
Me like.

Also, most of the Passholders/locals will likely stay away from DL until the weekend when Haunted Mansion Holiday opens and the special Villians Party happens on Friday night.
So i am stoked...two days of quietness...then a weekend with special Halloween related treats to experience.

Now all we need to put the icing on the cake is Mr. Baxter himself to show up and join the party.
Who better to tour you around a Park like DL then him...?

Last edited:

Californian Elitist

Also, most of the Passholders/locals will likely stay away from DL until the weekend when Haunted Mansion Holiday opens and the special Villians Party happens on Friday night.
So i am stoked...two days of quietness...then a weekend with special Halloween related treats to experience.

I wouldn't count too much on this or get your hopes too high. We usually stay away in the morning and early afternoon... By evening, the parks, especially Disneyland will start getting a little more crowded. People are coming from work and school to enjoy the night life. I'm not saying this is for sure going to happen, but it's definitely possible.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Thanks raven for the insight.

Evenings...that is fine.
Having lots of space during the daytime is what i look forward to. It will make the photo shoot *easier* in a sense..

My previous visits were always during Summertime, when crowd levels were much higher.
Anything even slightly lower then what i experienced there then will be welcome.

IndianaJones

Wh
I am glad you brought that subject up, Dr. Jones.

When i travel, i go *technology-free*...no cell phone (do not even own one..), no laptops....nothing.
While there i totally immerse myself in the environment.
I find the tech takes away from the experience a little...so no, there will be no *live coverage* or immediate photo uploads here during the venture.
Sorry about that...wish it were possible on my end this time around, but alas, i am a traditionalist /old-schooler.
That is okay though.....as it fits the theme! Yeah !

HOWEVER....with that said, i MAY be able to do a few updates while on site once a day.
I believe the small hotel i am rooming in has a computer in the lobby for guests to use, mostly for checking e-mail and printing out airline boarding passes. I remember making a mental note regarding this last year....so we shall see.
I will of course keep ya*all in mind ...and try to post something.
Forgive if i get swept off....or end up going off the beaten trail and ending up No Where In Particular.
Dr. Jones, i will be thinking of you when i am at *Tony*s Temple of Wonders*.

Post-venture...well that is a different story!
There will be a detailed adventure overview ...and lots of photos..yes !
I actually have a specially planned photo shoot for one of the days i am in town at DL that is themed specifically to this venture, so i will hopefully have a lot of fun images to share when i return from the wilds of Orange County.

Right now things are looking great on the horizon..
The Parks have been really quiet this past week now that folks are back in school/work and it looks like i will have plenty of roaming space.
Me like.

Now all we need to put the icing on the cake is Mr. Baxter himself to show up and join the party.
Who better to tour you around a Park like DL then him...?

While I couldn't go completely tech free. I tend to think that I'd be away from the boards too on a trip out there. Just enjoy it and then when you are building the trip report later on you can go ahead and relive everything again.

And try not to have to much fun on Indy. You'll make the rest of us jealous.

Figments Friend

Original Poster
Heh heh...difficult request there Dr. Jones...i love Indy!

I am having fun already....

Because of the time differences between the coasts, i am staying up late tonight to *get prepared* for the shift i will be feeling tomorrow night.
Have to get myself in a *Golden State* of mind....even before actually leaving for it!

This will be a interesting evening....

Perhaps it is time to share some more pre-trip photos...?

Finished packing.
I only do carry on, so it is not too involved.
Hat, sunglasses, music player with tapes...pen to draw with, snacks, Tony photos...oh and maybe some clothing, money, and travel papers.

Shirts that are coming along....

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom