Rumor The EPCOT Hotel

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
I'd love to have more hotels with park entrances. I don't get why Magic (which is one of the most popular in the world) doesn't have any.

Come on Disney, there is money to be had. Picture watching fireworks from a balcony that's almost in the park.
It's coming. Why else open the Northern Exposure? ;)

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Right, but imagine the idea of a hotel anywhere that close to the borders of MK. It would be like your neighbors' kids building a fort in your yard. I can't be the only one that feels that the MK is sacred ground. This is exactly what Walt disliked about Disneyland. Businesses (albeit in this case, Disney's own) popping up right outside the borders of his magic kingdom. Even as big as MK is, sight lines are still important.
Then Walt surely would be spinning in his grave/cryo box over Paris' Disneyland Hotel as well as all of Anaheim's Disney-owned hotel properties.

pdude81

I was hoping to see any kind of update about this, but I'm guessing there have been no changes or noteworthy bits for people to discuss.

Fun to look back to 2017 though when people thought one of these hotels might ruin sightlines in WS. I'd say that barge has anchored

Rteetz

And being shared by a certain other site.

The one thing that makes no sense in this is why would disney use Buena Vista Construction? They never do big projects. Another thing, if permits have been filed wouldn’t this require water management permits? We haven’t seen those correct?

Not saying it won’t happen but this is a big stretch.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
And being shared by a certain other site.

The one thing that makes no sense in this is why would disney use Buena Vista Construction? They never do big projects. Another thing, if permits have been filed wouldn’t this require water management permits? We haven’t seen those correct?

Not saying it won’t happen but this is a big stretch.
Yes, yes and yes. I don’t see anything of substance yet.

cjkeating

I have not seen a Notice of Commencement or a South Florida Water Management District permit for this. He might have seen some other type of permit. Anyone have a Tik-Tok account so they can ask in the comments?
Was the hotel not covered in a SFWMD permit years ago before the Epcot overhaul started? It's been so long I could have imagined this.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Was the hotel not covered in a SFWMD permit years ago before the Epcot overhaul started? It's been so long I could have imagined this.

There were a few false alarms, but I believe there was a SFWMD permit that could have been related to a hotel but I don't think it said it explicitly. I will have to see if I can dig that up.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Found the old SFWMD permits. Although it doesn't say it explicitly, it was assumed the Area 1 was being prepped for a hotel. This would also explain the second phase of Pond A which would be needed if Area 1 was developed. Pond A phase 2 and the preparation of Area 1 never happened.

1677600742240.png

bcoachable

The critic in me asks why do it?
My hopeful hypothesis:
With Epcot feeling more like a half day park these days, and only festivals keeping crowds returning, was/is this an attempt to bring more guests “planted” in the epcot bubble? This could help fill the park and restaurants later into the evening around the lagoon (since the taco barge ip show was not able to do so). Epcot has so much capacity (and currently untapped potential) and possibly this was/is a plan to help siphon guests away from MK?
Imagine what a new resort, a new country or two and a well thought out ride or two could do for pulling crowds out of MK a bit, yet increasing guest attendance and spending. Let’s go, Bob! Pull the trigger on this puppy!

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I have not seen a Notice of Commencement or a South Florida Water Management District permit for this. He might have seen some other type of permit. Anyone have a Tik-Tok account so they can ask in the comments?
I did.

There were those old permits and leaks from Martin, but they were all nixed according to Martin. He may be looking at something old.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom