Rumor The EPCOT Hotel

FerretAfros

After 4+ decades, they're finally getting around to sorting out traffic at the Magic Kingdom parking lot entrance. Guests going to the hotels and through-traffic to the north will be able to bypass the toll plaza and get to their respective destinations without stopping and explaining what they're doing.

Meanwhile, they're making plans to build new hotels in the Epcot and Studios parking lots that will force guests to go through the toll plazas, creating a new headache at facilities that never had these problems before. Yep, sounds about right.

I suppose an Epcot hotel near the bus loop could potentially be accessed off the backside of Epcot Resorts Blvd near the Beach Club, but that seems like it would create a lot of confusion for drivers and a rather lackluster reveal. From the interchange plans we've seen, there really isn't a feasible location for direct access to the Star Wars hotel site from World Dr, Osceola Pkwy, or Victory Way.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
After 4+ decades, they're finally getting around to sorting out traffic at the Magic Kingdom parking lot entrance. Guests going to the hotels and through-traffic to the north will be able to bypass the toll plaza and get to their respective destinations without stopping and explaining what they're doing.

Meanwhile, they're making plans to build new hotels in the Epcot and Studios parking lots that will force guests to go through the toll plazas, creating a new headache at facilities that never had these problems before. Yep, sounds about right.

I suppose an Epcot hotel near the bus loop could potentially be accessed off the backside of Epcot Resorts Blvd near the Beach Club, but that seems like it would create a lot of confusion for drivers and a rather lackluster reveal. From the interchange plans we've seen, there really isn't a feasible location for direct access to the Star Wars hotel site from World Dr, Osceola Pkwy, or Victory Way.
Or option 2...they already have plans to deal with this.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Have you had a chance to see the proposed design yet? Just curious whether you are only against the idea itself or also hate their design choice?
I’m against the idea itself, if it’s in any way aligned with the central spine or thereabouts.

Design wise I hated the design and location of a previous suggestion that was going elsewhere.

britain

Why wouldn't they offer a Mira Costa type private entrance? Seems easy enough to do.

I'm assuming that it might be more of a Tokyo Disneyland Hotel type situation (where the hotel is built across a promenade from the turnstiles), rather than Miracosta/Paris situation (where the hotel is over or after the turnstiles).

MrHappy

I’m against the idea itself, if it’s in any way aligned with the central spine or thereabouts.

Design wise I hated the design and location of a previous suggestion that was going elsewhere.
@marni1971 , I understand you probably can't get into details - but could you at least share the general aesthetic of the design. Please tell us it was at least more than a concrete box. Did it at least drum up the sense of "space" or "future"?

Father Robinson

• At the Magic Kingdom Cinderella Castle is obstructed at the entrance by the train station and you have to "re-center" yourself after passing underneath for the reveal of the castle.
  • At the Animal Kingdom you have to wind through the Oasis before seeing the Tree of Life
  • At Disneyland, Sleeping Beauty Castle is also obstructed by the train station with a similar reveal
  • At Tokyo Disneyland you have a covered Main Street obstructing the castle
  • At Tokyo DisneySea you have Hotel MiraCosta and an archway obstructing Mt. Prometheus
  • At Disneyland Paris you have a hotel.
  • Hong Kong and Shanghai have the train station blocking their entrance if IIRC
People don't like this because it's a change and change is scary, but from a concept standpoint I see nothing wrong with this. Now if it's a Wall-E themed hotel (not a rumor, just an example of a bad idea), I'll be right there on the picket line.
All those icons are well within the park though. SSE is the first thing you see at EPCOT's front entrance so the big reveal has always been upon arrival. How ridiculous would SSE look sticking up over and just behind a hotel-not even way behind, just right behind? I dunno, big mistake aesthetic wise.

matt9112

Where is this 50 yr AP you speak of? Oh yeah that’s right, there isn’t one. Also, AP’s don’t subsidize resort costs but DVC does. Your bias against DVC is showing. Envy much?

there is no envy to speak of I wouldn't buy DVC new...maybe resale still holds value. but New? no thanks. I live close enough now to drive there so no need beyond being spoiled. your argument was that merch and food sales make DVC owners more valuable essentially and that's just not the case. granted most DVC owners likely also have APs to boot.

however I do hold resentment that every hotel DVC has been added too hasn't meshed very well with the exsisting resort and as such I feel takes away from regular guests since those details need to be considered but what do I know.

matt9112

Placement is important, but for me, the design of this Epcot Resort is going to be crucial. I think it's simple - anything taller than the existing monorail station is too high. Keep it under 5 stories and there's actually good potential for a new gateway area that could enhance the park entrance and complement SSE.

Unfortunately, Disney seems to have developed a penchant for building high-rise additions that do a poor job integrating with their surroundings (Bay Lake Tower at the Contemporary; Villas at Grand Floridian; the new towers at Caribbean Beach and Coronado Springs). All of these dwarf the existing buildings and exhibit poor scale and/or bland architecture, the last things we need for Epcot's entrance.

It's this recent history that has me worried...

EDIT: @britain's render is a case in point. THAT could work. But I'm afraid we're going to end up with a Bay Lake Tower unceremoniously perched above the turnstiles.

in your render can guests pass over that "bridge" between "towers" or? I like the look of this and it represents the ideal "general style" details aside. i like the green spaces you used granted I have far less confidence that TWDC can do something like this would the room count be enough for them?

britain

in your render can guests pass over that "brdige" between "towers" or? I like the look of this and it represents the ideal "general style" details aside. i like the green spaces you used granted I have far less confidence that TWDC can do something like this would the room count be enough for them?

I think you're referring to my rendering - thanks! Yeah, just the general idea, leaving details out. I was thinking a bridge between the two wings of the hotel, but I currently have those OVER the monorail track - that might have to be lower. Oh well - that's what you get for 15 min of work.

Yeah - not sure about room count here. It would be on the smaller side, 400?

jt04

All those icons are well within the park though. SSE is the first thing you see at EPCOT's front entrance so the big reveal has always been upon arrival. How ridiculous would SSE look sticking up over and just behind a hotel-not even way behind, just right behind?.

Depends on the design.

truecoat

Maybe something like this? I know it's sorta on top of the monorail line but just for an idea of how it could be.

Epcot hotel.jpg

The real rescueranger

there is no envy to speak of I wouldn't buy DVC new...maybe resale still holds value. but New? no thanks. I live close enough now to drive there so no need beyond being spoiled. your argument was that merch and food sales make DVC owners more valuable essentially and that's just not the case. granted most DVC owners likely also have APs to boot.

however I do hold resentment that every hotel DVC has been added too hasn't meshed very well with the exsisting resort and as such I feel takes away from regular guests since those details need to be considered but what do I know.
You must have me confused with someone else. I haven’t said anything about merchandise or food or DVC guests being more valuable. All I said was that DVC subsidizes the costs at resorts. They help pay for employees, maintenance, and utilities. This is a case of Disney making more money when DVC is added. It’s about their bottom line and what makes them more money. It has nothing to do with DVC owners being great customers.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom