Rumor The EPCOT Hotel

Father Robinson

.. on the bus station, and slap bang center, adjacent to the monorail station and blocking the parking lot entrance reveal.

The latter two imho would be detrimental to the park. But we’ll see.

This was my feeling immediately after seeing the propsed location of center. Absolute mistake for EPCOT. There should seriously be a SAVE EPCOT ENTRANCE petition started, no joke! This one really worries me.

NearTheEars

When I went to DHS on Sunday they had a decent crowd. I actually think that the character of the park is great and enjoy the atmosphere.

We were there Sunday as well. Crowd was pretty heavy at times. But I’ve also been there when it’s empty. Seems to fluctuate. It was also a MK party night I believe.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Why the desire (or need) to build a resort smack dab in front of Epcot when they have "the blessing of size"? Is it to create a better atmosphere for Epcot? Or just to charge ridiculously high prices to stay at the "Epcot Hotel"?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Why the desire (or need) to build a resort smack dab in front of Epcot when they have "the blessing of size"? Is it to create a better atmosphere for Epcot? Or just to charge ridiculously high prices to stay at the "Epcot Hotel"?
The blessing of size and the irrational nature of the average consumer do not always align.

They built AKL literally 5 minuets farther away from from MK, DHS and Epcot than your average resort and many people act like the thing is on another continent. People want to walk out of their front door and into a park.

matt9112

I am going to put my money on them having a DVC wing of some sort. Seems par for the course.

I agree with one caveat that @marni1971 might be able to dispell and that's room count. if this hotels room count isn't very large it will likely be far more profitable to sell each room every night at 600+ (let's be real that's a good guess look at the monorail line) than to DVC any of it. if it is a large (normal sized hotel by Disney standards) than DVC would be likely. DVC is nice cash up front but for this prime spot I think nightly rates north of 5 or 6 hundred will outweigh that.

Kman101

DHS is an intimate park, compared to everything else in WDW. It's a unique feeling that is very refreshing when visiting, despite it's lack of rides or attractions right now.

I still really enjoy being in DHS and soaking up some of the atmosphere (I also enjoy the small feel of the park). I especially enjoy hanging around Echo Lake and watching the ducks. The front half of the park hasn't changed (minus the closure of GMR).

britain

Since it’s all out in the open now, the options - from what I know - are now west of the bus station, on the bus station, and slap bang center, adjacent to the monorail station and blocking the parking lot entrance reveal.

A forth, inside the park, thankfully seems to have been dropped.

The latter two imho would be detrimental to the park. But we’ll see.

While I can understand the dramatic change it would make to the SE reveal, wouldn’t you agree that anything less than symmetrically placing it at the center of the park’s axis would FEEL worse?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
While I can understand the dramatic change it would make to the SE reveal, wouldn’t you agree that anything less than symmetrically placing it at the center of the park’s axis would FEEL worse?
I’m dead against anything being placed in the parking lot. The area is a perfect reveal from toll plaza to SSE. It shouldn’t be destroyed for profit. I’d rather keep the tombstones, not that we should have to choose.

There’s plenty of resort designated plots left in WDW. Stick it there.

raymusiccity

I agree with one caveat that @marni1971 might be able to dispell and that's room count. if this hotels room count isn't very large it will likely be far more profitable to sell each room every night at 600+ (let's be real that's a good guess look at the monorail line) than to DVC any of it. if it is a large (normal sized hotel by Disney standards) than DVC would be likely. DVC is nice cash up front but for this prime spot I think nightly rates north of 5 or 6 hundred will outweigh that.

DVC isn't just 'cash up front'. It's 50 yrs of subsidized operating expenses, guaranteed park attendance and gift shop purchases. :)

RSoxNo1

turnstyles are a far cry from a 3 or 4 story building
  • At the Magic Kingdom Cinderella Castle is obstructed at the entrance by the train station and you have to "re-center" yourself after passing underneath for the reveal of the castle.
  • At the Animal Kingdom you have to wind through the Oasis before seeing the Tree of Life
  • At Disneyland, Sleeping Beauty Castle is also obstructed by the train station with a similar reveal
  • At Tokyo Disneyland you have a covered Main Street obstructing the castle
  • At Tokyo DisneySea you have Hotel MiraCosta and an archway obstructing Mt. Prometheus
  • At Disneyland Paris you have a hotel.
  • Hong Kong and Shanghai have the train station blocking their entrance if IIRC
People don't like this because it's a change and change is scary, but from a concept standpoint I see nothing wrong with this. Now if it's a Wall-E themed hotel (not a rumor, just an example of a bad idea), I'll be right there on the picket line.

Pixieish

Maybe people don’t like it since it’s another nail in EPCOTs design in the name of profit.

Change should be for the better. Not for the elite few who can afford a room.
AMEN. We don't spend extravagantly on every trip, but we don't cheap out on every trip, either - so we're kind of middle-of-the-road. Lately it feels more and more like Disney only cares about making people with money to throw around happy.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom