The Enchanted Tiki Room is coming to the Magic Kingdom!

gerryu21220

I would love it if the Offenbach number were restored. But they won't. That's pretty much a given. At least I still have the original album and the CD versions. I can always pop a tape in the VCR and watch the full-length original from 1997.

MDenham

You have it backwards. It doesn't affect the capacity, which is why it's not an improvement. If Fastpass lowered the average wait time, it would have to do so by increasing the capacity of the rides. Since, as you point out, it has no effect on capacity, it doesn't lower the average wait time.
It doesn't necessarily have to increase the capacity.

Let's say there are two rides - one goes whenever it's got a full car (for the purposes of this, we'll say 12 people), but not more often than once every 6 minutes; and one goes every 8 minutes.

Pre-FP, if the first ride were running at somewhat over maximum capacity (i.e., the wait was getting longer as the day went on) but the second one weren't, you'd have slack capacity in the second ride.

With FP, you have some people getting FPs for the first ride, then going into the second ride - reducing the wait on the first ride and reducing the slack capacity on the second ride. The net result: lower overall wait times.

This is, effectively, what the intent for FastPass is: to reduce slack capacity on rides by siphoning people out of lines for other rides. Whether or not it succeeds in that is another matter entirely...

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
You have it backwards. It doesn't affect the capacity, which is why it's not an improvement. If Fastpass lowered the average wait time, it would have to do so by increasing the capacity of the rides. Since, as you point out, it has no effect on capacity, it doesn't lower the average wait time.

Let's take a simple example. Everything in the park is closed except for one ride. To keep things simple, the ride boards one person per minute. Thirty people are ahead of you in line, so you have a thirty minute wait ahead of you. But then a CM slides up to you and says "magic time!" and hands you a fastpass. Now you walk to the front of the line. You've just saved thirty minutes! But, your jump to the front means everyone who was in front of you now waits one more minute. Since thirty people were in front of you, that's a total extra wait of thirty minutes, the same as the time you saved (anyone who was behind you in line is unaffected).

If we give fastpasses to more people, add more rides, etc., the analysis becomes more complicated, but the number still adds up to zero.

It doesn't necessarily have to increase the capacity.

Let's say there are two rides - one goes whenever it's got a full car (for the purposes of this, we'll say 12 people), but not more often than once every 6 minutes; and one goes every 8 minutes.

Pre-FP, if the first ride were running at somewhat over maximum capacity (i.e., the wait was getting longer as the day went on) but the second one weren't, you'd have slack capacity in the second ride.

With FP, you have some people getting FPs for the first ride, then going into the second ride - reducing the wait on the first ride and reducing the slack capacity on the second ride. The net result: lower overall wait times.

This is, effectively, what the intent for FastPass is: to reduce slack capacity on rides by siphoning people out of lines for other rides. Whether or not it succeeds in that is another matter entirely...

Denham has it right. Simple example again. Assume that there is one ride in the park which has a 30 minute wait. And assume that it take you 30 minutes to eat lunch. Without FP, everybody waits in line 30 minutes, then goes to eat lunch, using an hour. But if, instead, the family that is about to get in line for 30 minutes gets FPs to come back in 30 minutes, goes to eat lunch, and then comes back to ride, that family has saved 30 minutes, and not cost anybody else anything, because without FP, they'd have ridden at the same time.

So Slowjack is right that FP doesn't reduce the average wait time. But by allowing the FP people to do other things during that wait time, it does indeed, on average, increase the number of things people can do in the park.

RSoxNo1

Fastpass redistributes the crowds. It creates longer lines for higher capacity attractions that don't have Fastpass. Those that use it at all typically have a better day in the park simply because they can see more attractions.

Krack

Denham has it right. Simple example again. Assume that there is one ride in the park which has a 30 minute wait. And assume that it take you 30 minutes to eat lunch. Without FP, everybody waits in line 30 minutes, then goes to eat lunch, using an hour. But if, instead, the family that is about to get in line for 30 minutes gets FPs to come back in 30 minutes, goes to eat lunch, and then comes back to ride, that family has saved 30 minutes, and not cost anybody else anything, because without FP, they'd have ridden at the same time.

So Slowjack is right that FP doesn't reduce the average wait time. But by allowing the FP people to do other things during that wait time, it does indeed, on average, increase the number of things people can do in the park.

In your hypothetical scenario, you didn't save any time if you were planning on spending a half hour to eat anyway. All you did was shift the time when you spent that 30 minutes in the restaurant. The same holds true regarding shopping, watching a parade or show, or just sitting on a park bench watching people; if you were going to spend the same amount of time doing that activity if there was no FP, then the FP didn't save you any time while you are doing it. It's my personal opinion that the vast majority of people don't spend any additional time in non-attraction activities as a result of FP; they just think they do because that's what the system is designed to make them think.

Tom

Beta Return
In your hypothetical scenario, you didn't save any time if you were planning on spending a half hour to eat anyway. All you did was shift the time when you spent that 30 minutes in the restaurant. The same holds true regarding shopping, watching a parade or show, or just sitting on a park bench watching people; if you were going to spend the same amount of time doing that activity if there was no FP, then the FP didn't save you any time while you are doing it. It's my personal opinion that the vast majority of people don't spend any additional time in non-attraction activities as a result of FP; they just think they do because that's what the system is designed to make them think.

Let's say I'm going to ride Splash Mountain and eat lunch at Pecos Bill's for 30-minutes.

If I don't get a Fastpass, I'm going to spend 30-minutes eating, an hour in line for Splash, and 10-minutes on the ride. Total = 1:40.

If I get a Fastpass for Splash, go eat lunch for 30-minutes, [insert other activities here that I'm able to do earlier than I would have without a SM FP], then go back and wait in line for 10-minutes and ride for 10-minues, I've only dedicated a total of :50 to the lunch+SM combo.

Even if you remove the lunch example, using the Fastpass saved me 50-min of time I would have devoted to standing in Splash's line. So, ultimately, I DID save time, and allowed myself to experience more things than I would have without the FP.

I for one, am a HUGE fan of Fastpasses, but they're definitely not needed everywhere, and I wouldn't consider the Tiki Room high on the list for needing FP.

Krack

Let's say I'm going to ride Splash Mountain and eat lunch at Pecos Bill's for 30-minutes.

If I don't get a Fastpass, I'm going to spend 30-minutes eating, an hour in line for Splash, and 10-minutes on the ride. Total = 1:40.

If I get a Fastpass for Splash, go eat lunch for 30-minutes, [insert other activities here that I'm able to do earlier than I would have without a SM FP], then go back and wait in line for 10-minutes and ride for 10-minues, I've only dedicated a total of :50 to the lunch+SM combo.

Even if you remove the lunch example, using the Fastpass saved me 50-min of time I would have devoted to standing in Splash's line. So, ultimately, I DID save time, and allowed myself to experience more things than I would have without the FP.

I for one, am a HUGE fan of Fastpasses, but they're definitely not needed everywhere, and I wouldn't consider the Tiki Room high on the list for needing FP.

Two things:

1. If there was no FastPass system, you wouldn't have to wait an hour to ride Splash Moutain; it would be significantly less than an hour, and

2. Everything in your hypothetical works as you say as long as you leave the park immediately after riding Splash Mountain. However, if you don't, every other attraction you visit for the rest of the day has a longer wait than it would if the FP system did not exist. You saved time waiting for Splash Mountain (and eating) and you lost it all back over the course of the day riding other attractions. The only way the FP system allows a person to visit more attractions in a day than the old system (no FP) is if the person only visits FP attractions (only using a FP, no standby lines) and walk-on attractions. And that's for a person who understands the system. The people who don't understand the system, or can't use it (showed up late to DHS, couldn't get a TSMM FP), or dont have the patience for it are having a worse experience as a result of the FP system.

Tom

Beta Return
Two things:

1. If there was no FastPass system, you wouldn't have to wait an hour to ride Splash Moutain; it would be significantly less than an hour, and

2. Everything in your hypothetical works as you say as long as you leave the park immediately after riding Splash Mountain. However, if you don't, every other attraction you visit for the rest of the day has a longer wait than it would if the FP system did not exist. You saved time waiting for Splash Mountain (and eating) and you lost it all back over the course of the day riding other attractions. The only way the FP system allows a person to visit more attractions in a day than the old system (no FP) is if the person only visits FP attractions (only using a FP, no standby lines) and walk-on attractions. And that's for a person who understands the system. The people who don't understand the system, or can't use it (showed up late to DHS, couldn't get a TSMM FP), or dont have the patience for it are having a worse experience as a result of the FP system.

Good points.

Except the standby wait for Splash, even without FP, is often an hour or more, unless you go during the lowest of low seasons. Overall though, I agree with what you're saying :)

Cosmic Commando

FP decreases the time that you wait for your FP attraction, but increases the time you wait for attractions where you don't use FP because you are able to queue, virtually via FP or physically, for multiple attractions at once. I can buy that. Is it possible to determine whether you have a net gain or loss in wait times overall? I'm not ready to make that leap. I think it definitely depends on crowds and your touring style.

Spike-in-Berlin

Never seen a fastpass machine at the Tiki Room.. so why are the mods not splitting this up into two posts....?

I was thinking the same thing. This thread is about the return of nearly the original show in the Tiki Room and not about the advantages or disadvantages of FP!
It's completely off-topic now.

aladdin2007

I still say let the audience vote for the style show they want once they are seated...with up to 54 combinations...:wave:

That would be fun for sure, one section could pick music and another could choose which animatronic they want to spin on the bird mobile. It goes round and round.

RSoxNo1

Fastpass succeeds in redistributing the crowds. Using the Splash Mountain example above. Not everyone will want to wait in a line over a certain period of time. For me that period of time is typically 30 minutes.

Back to Splash Mountain... I'm not sure on the actual hourly capacity but for the sake of this explanation let's call it 1800 per hour. Without fastpass, if you get in line with a 60 minute wait that means that there are 1800 people in front of you. With Fastpass it means that there are also 1800 people in front of you, they're just not in front of you in line.

Those people that are technically in front of you in line can do other things... hence redistributing guests around the park. What this accomplishes is that people will now be going to things that would otherwise have lower waits (or perhaps no waits). In Disney's eyes it also improves guest satisfaction as those guests (like myself) that don't want to wait more than 30 minutes for anything get to see both the marquee attraction, and those attractions that don't generate the ridiculously long waits.

How many people here have gone to it's a small world or Mickey's PhilharMagic while waiting for a Winnie the Pooh or Peter Pan Fastpass? It's really how the parks should be designed - High Capacity C/D ticket next to Higher Demand Fastpass attraction.

Now to bring this all back to the Enchanted Tiki Room. I guarantee that the first time I see The Enchanted Tiki Room I'll be doing so with a Fastpass for Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain or Thunder Mountain in my pocket.

Cosmic Commando

Now to bring this all back to the Enchanted Tiki Room. I guarantee that the first time I see The Enchanted Tiki Room I'll be doing so with a Fastpass for Jungle Cruise, Splash Mountain or Thunder Mountain in my pocket.

Wow, we drifted so far that we actually ended up back on topic!

PalisadesPkteer

I have been to Disneyland 3 times. In 2003, 2005 for the 50th Anniversary and in 2007.

So I have seen the Disneyland version. If we get that version here I will be unbelievably Happy.

UNM was just horrid IMHO.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom