The Ecstacy and the Agony: 3/17-3/24 Trip Report

This report may be on interest to anyone travelling with small children, those staying at Port Orleans, or those considering the Disney Dining Plan (and of course to those who just enjoy reading about other people's Disney trips).

The title of this trip report comes from the Unofficial Guide's chapter regarding traveling to Walt Disney World with kids. We've been to WDW with kids before, but on this trip we had a 4-year-old and an infant. Over the course of a week, we all experienced plenty of ecstacy and agony.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't have been fool-hearty enough to attempt such a trip. We went in 2008 when my wife was pregnant with our youngest. The idea behind that trip was that it would be a farewell to Orlando until the kids were old enough to really enjoy it.

But then a unique opportunity arose. I detailed the entire experience of planning this trip in this thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=545256. If you feel like reading the background of how this trip came to be, go back and read-up. We'll wait for you.

For those who didn't bother going back to read the pre-trip thread, here's a rundown on the players:

Obviously, there's me. I'm the Disney fan in the family. More specifically, I'm the Disney parks nut. I had been to MK as a kid and Epcot as a teen. But I didn't get crazy about Disney until I went as an adult. My wife was a big fan of Mickey Mouse. But she'd never been to WDW. So when I planned our honeymoon, I figured we had to go to WDW. To be honest, I wasn't really looking forward to it. A few years later, I am here on the forums and my wife tolerates my Disney "obessession".

Then there's my wife, Mindy. I've pretty much told her story as relates to WDW. Honestly, she would prefer a more relaxing vacation than Disney World. Her idea of a vacation would be somewhere she can watch TV and swim. Yes, she can do both of those things at WDW. But I'm constantly dragging her out to the theme parks.

Joey, our oldest daughter is 4 (going on 5). She's a girly girl and can sometimes be shy. Other times, she loves the spotlight. This was her third trip to WDW and she has some memories of previous trips. Also, I prepared her for the trip by showing her lots of videos and pictures. Before we left, she was appointed as "the boss" of what we would and wouldn't ride.

Kara is the baby of the family. At the time we decided to take the trip, she was just a happy little bundle. She just sat and smiled at us. She was slow to start crawling, but once she did, she took off. At 10 months, she started walking. Now at 11 months, there's no stopping her. She wants to explore everything all the time!

In a supporting role, we have my younger brother. He was a cheerleader in college and taught cheerleading for many years after that. Now, he has moved into a more professional career. But he still judges cheerleading competitions from time to time. One of the reasons he does this is that he gets free trips to WDW.

One more note before I get into the trip itself, there will be pictures. But it will take me a little while to get to them. So, bear with me.

Wed, 3/17: Arrival Day

Arrival day was agony pure and simple. I won't get too deeply into the details here as they are too painful to relive. Also, I think I've blocked them from my memory. Things started off promisingly enough with a cab ride to the airport. Joey had been looking forward to riding in a taxi for a very long time. And she finally got her wish.

When we arrived at the airport, we were immediately hit with a baggage handling fee. $20 per bag for three checked bags for a total of $60. This came as a surprise to me as an infrequent traveler. In 2008 (our last flight) there had been no such charge.

I knew Delta had changed their policy, but I didn't worry too much because I had bought the tickets prior to the policy change and we had been grandfathered in. It turns out, the new charges were for carry-on bags. With no other options, I grumbled as I paid $60 for my bags to go on vacation with me. My wife fumed.

The bag fees were a minor hiccup compared to the flight itself. As I mentioned before, Kara had recently discovered walking. Ever since, she has been exploring her surroundings like crazy. So for her, sitting on our laps for two hours was not in the cards. When we wouldn't let her play on the floor of the plane, she launched into a screaming fit that lasted for most of the flight.

If you've ever been on a flight with a crying baby, you know it's torture. But trust me, it's far worse when the screaming baby is yours. Thankfully, all the guests around us were very gracious. If they were bothered, no one let on. And several started playing games of peek-a-boo or smiling and waving. This would usually stop the fits for a brief time.

When drinks came around, we got Kara some water. She likes drinking from bottles of water, but it tends to make a mess. In this case, the mess was on me. This was followed by a biscotti cookie. The cookie plus the water formed a kind of cinnamon-scented cement which bonded to my shirt for the rest of the night.

We arrived at the Orlando airport exhausted. But we were excited to leave the negative behind us and start enjoying our vacation. Thanks to Magical Express, we didn't have to worry about carting around luggage in addition to two tiny tikes. However, we did have our double stroller and some carry-ons.

At one point during the trip through the airport, Kara pulled off one of her shoes. I scooped it up and put it in a carry-on bag. Later on, a couple stopped us and asked if we were missing a shoe. I assured them that we had the shoe in our bag. Until I looked and saw that the bag had a rip in it. We hadn't even made it out of the airport and we were down 1 shoe.

The shoe was a hand-me-down, so we decided to move on without it. Kara has a habit of tossing her shoes, so I never really understood the point of buying them anyway. She never wears them for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

When we got to Port Orleans, all the girls were tired. But I was still full of excitement. The resort was even more beautiful than it looked in pictures. It was sunny and cool. I was sure the tide would change once we got checked into our room.

The castmember at check-in was really taken with Kara. I had done on-line check-in, but it actually took a good ten minutes to complete the process because he kept stopping to play games with her. As a proud dad, I can't say as I minded. He gave her a sticker which she promptly ate (well, sucked on anyway).

We headed back to the room which was in building 28 in the Alligator Bayou section of the resort. It was a little challenging to find. The signs in Port Orleans aren't always as helpful as they could be. More than once during the trip, I took the scenic route to the room by accident. Usually, I didn't mind. But this time, we were all pretty tired.

When we got to the room, our bags weren't there. For me, this was not a big deal. I knew they were travelling separately from us. But apparently my wife didn't understand this when she packed. She had been counting on changing before we went out. So she wanted to stay in the room and wait on the bags to arrive. I didn't object as the idea of changing out of my cookie shirt was appealing.

After an hour or so, my wife reluctantly gave up on waiting for the bags. We had a lot to do and we were all getting hungry. Of course, I was still wearing a shirt covered in crushed up cookie cement. But with no idea how long we could be waiting, it seemed like a good idea to go get dinner.

The plan was to go to Downtown Disney. We were going to use our first counter service credits at Wolfgang Puck Express and then shop for an autograph book as I had promised Joey. Mindy and the girls would then head home and I would go to another resort to pick up our free tickets.

What we had not counted on was that Downtown Disney was packed. It was St Patrick's Day and even the counter service restaurants were standing room only. The line at Puck's was around the block. And my wife was now blaming me.

Mindy and the girls get especially grumpy when they are hungry. So I decided to try Earl of Sandwich thinking that the line would be shorter. I'm not sure if it was shorter or not, but it seemed to be moving faster. All the while, Joey was getting whinier, Kara was getting more fidgety and my wife was fuming.

I was trying to grab a table before we even got our food. But with two little kids in a double stroller, we had limited mobility. As soon as a table became available, someone else pushed through the crowd and grabbed it. No one took mercy on us.

After we got the food, I found an empty table outside. When I say it was empty, I mean it had been stripped of any and all chairs. But I noticed lots of people sitting at tables which were bigger than their party required (a theme that would run through most of our counter service experiences on this trip). I went from table to table asking for empty chairs. After being turned down a couple of times, I finally found a party that was willing to give up their empty chairs.

Finally, the day could turn around. Or so I thought. As soon as Joey saw her peanut butter and jelly sandwich, she started crying. She expected a pb&j on white bread with the crust cut off the way she would get it at home. Instead, she had a crusty, toasty thing that was completely foreign to her. She was inconsolable.

(The sandwich didn't go to waste. As would happen many times on the trip, Kara stepped up and finished Joey's meal.)

After our failed dinner, we went to World of Disney to buy the autograph book I had promised Joey. Joey and shopping go hand in hand. She would have been happy to stay in World of Disney all week. And after the pb&j debacle, I was happy to buy her something extra.

I showed her all of the autograph books and pens. She was very reluctant to commit to any one book or pen. Instead, she wanted to look at everything. Especially the toys. Unfortunately, I needed to see someone about our tickets and it was getting late.

My wife was still fuming about the entire situation, but she agreed to let me go pick up the theme park tickets. Long story short, I spent about two hours on Disney buses picking up the tickets. When I got back to the room, the girls were all asleep.

To my surprise, Joey had picked out an autograph book with Mickey and friends on it. I was sure she'd go for princesses or Tinker Bell. But instead she went for the old school autograph book with a matching Pluto pen. (more on this later). She also picked out a Vinylmation figure. (much more on this later).

Tired, weary and hoping to make it to Epcot by rope drop, I finally turned in to bed around 11:30.

Don't worry, folks. Things get a lot better on day 2. And we start taking pictures to break up all the text!

I'll post Day 2 as soon as possible. Thanks for reading.

darthspielberg

I'd have liked to have gone the week you went instead of the week I went. From what I could tell, the weather got better and the lines got shorter.

Mindy had fun. She even speaks about the trip fondly. Just don't suggest she go back for a little while. She still wakes up in cold sweats thinking about the POR busses!

The weather was a touch better (only one day of rain) but by god, the lines were insane. The Haunted Mansion, which I've never known to have a very long line had a two hour wait at one point, and the line stretched almost to Frontierland.

We got lucky between my cousin's assistance badge and just finding gaps when certain rides were less crowded. I was shocked to wait less than an hour for Tower of Terror both times I did.

lebeau

Original Poster
The weather was a touch better (only one day of rain) but by god, the lines were insane. The Haunted Mansion, which I've never known to have a very long line had a two hour wait at one point, and the line stretched almost to Frontierland.

We got lucky between my cousin's assistance badge and just finding gaps when certain rides were less crowded. I was shocked to wait less than an hour for Tower of Terror both times I did.

Where we were typically leaving the parks by noon most days, we rarely waited in line at all. We used one FP to ride Soarin' and that was it!

And every time we'd leave, it was like swimming upstream. I couldn't believe how many people were pouring into the parks at noon or even later!

smk

I wouldn't say I walked on egg shells. But I definitely tried to make sure everyone else was having a good time. Unfortunately, it didn't take much to sour the mood since Mindy really doesn't like WDW.

Honestly, I don't think I'd enjoy a solo trip. The thing I enjoy the most is experiencing WDW with the kids. And even Mindy has fun more often than she would care to admit.

What we need is some time away from WDW. We'll need to take a non-Disney vacation or two before we go back. And it will be easier when the kids are older. So in 3 or 4 years, I expect we'll have a much less stressful trip.

(Mindy suggested we wait at least 5 years, but I'm pretty sure we can shave at least a year off of that!) ;)

WAIT WAIT WAIT! :eek: How can we go another 3 or 4 years without a great trip report?? You are going to have to post reports of your ordinary family vacations!

lebeau

Original Poster
WAIT WAIT WAIT! :eek: How can we go another 3 or 4 years without a great trip report?? You are going to have to post reports of your ordinary family vacations!

:ROFLOL:

You never know. Somehow, we always end up going back to Orlando sooner than we planned. We were watching Celebrity Apprentice the other day and Mindy said how much she'd love to go see Harry Potter without the kids! (She'd never actually do that. She's all talk.)

Glad you're enjoying the report! I can't believe I'm almost done writing it!

Todd L

Man I feel for you...........I have two kids and weve been to orlando 7 or 8 times with and without kids.........Its easier when they are 1 because they are content to stay in the stroller and take it all in.

Last trip my Daughter was 14 and my son was 3. My Daughter got the freedom to go with her cousins and have a blast and we spent the days trying to keep a 3 year old happy which you think would be easy at wdw but its actually incredibly hard at times. Theres sooooooo much stimulus at wdw that a 3 year old wants to be part of it all.

Well see how things go this july.

I love going to orlando with the kids but would really love to go back in time to my Honeymoon and do it all over with just the two of us.

lebeau

Original Poster
Man I feel for you...........I have two kids and weve been to orlando 7 or 8 times with and without kids.........Its easier when they are 1 because they are content to stay in the stroller and take it all in.

Last trip my Daughter was 14 and my son was 3. My Daughter got the freedom to go with her cousins and have a blast and we spent the days trying to keep a 3 year old happy which you think would be easy at wdw but its actually incredibly hard at times. Theres sooooooo much stimulus at wdw that a 3 year old wants to be part of it all.

Well see how things go this july.

I love going to orlando with the kids but would really love to go back in time to my Honeymoon and do it all over with just the two of us.

I hear ya!

My favorite Disney World memories are the ones I share with my kids. But, it was so much easier on our honeymoon when it was just the two of us. If I could take that trip again right now, I would. If I could re-take the trip with the two little ones again right now, well, my body and nerves couldn't handle it. I'll treasure the memories of it forever, but it sure was a lot of work!

I do like that every Disney World trip is different because we're at a different place in our lives. And I like tracking our progress as our family grows with trips at various stages in life. Corny but true.

lebeau

Original Poster
A note on pictures going forward

You may have noticed a lack of pictures in the last few posts. A big part of the reason for this was that the battery on our camera was dying. So we started being more selective about what pictures we took.

At this point in the trip, the battery for the main camera died. However, I had a back-up. Not a back-up battery. I frankly had no reason to believe the battery would die. It usually has a lot more life than that. (One suspects it may not have been properly charged as promised...) No, I had a back-up camera.

The second camera was a camcorder really. It was new and I had not really bothered to figure it all out. Apparently, it wasn't as simple as point and click.

This is all to warn you that the pictures from the last two days of our trip can be a little dark and grainy. But I'll include them anyway.

lebeau

Original Poster
Tues 3/23: O'Hana

Hard to believe, but this would be the last full day of our trip! We approached it with a mixture of relief and ... well, mostly relief. But I think we were all determined to make this last day a good one. We were going to have fun without overdoing it.

Since we had cancelled our table service meal at Akerhus on Sunday, we had an extra table service credit to burn. Fortunately, I had prepared for such an eventuality. (My wife says I was prepared for everything up to and including bumping into Walt.) Just in case, I had sceduled breakfast at O'Hana just to make sure we could burn any unused table service credits at the end of our trip.

As we waited for our bus, I tested out the "new" camera:

IMG_0102.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0105.jpg

And, there's our bus. Let's go!

We had done the character breakfast at O'Hana before and had a very good experience. So we our expectations were fairly high. I'll say up front that this experience wasn't as universally positive as the first one. But it was mostly good considering the circumstances.

When we got to O'Hana, I realized Joey was a little nervous about the characters. Specifically Stitch. She had met Stitch before, so I reminded her of the previous trip. I told her that Stitch would recognize her and they were friends. She seemed more at ease, but still uncertain.

It took a while to get seated. O'Hana is always chaotic, but it was moreso than usual today. Our waitress was very nice, but her follow-through wasn't all the great. She promised Joey a booster seat which never came. My coffee disappeared. When I asked for a refill, she brough back a pot... eventually.

Also, someone arrived with a phot package and some money which they stuffed in my hand and left. I was confused. We had turned down the photo package. I opened it up to see someone else's family staring back at me. Suddenly, it all clicked. Someone else bought the pictures and the money was their change.

I hunted down the cast member who had given me the pictures and returned them. The cast member didn't want to believe the pictures and money were not mine at first. I had to open the folder to show her I was not in the picture she gave me. She thanked me and left with the pictures. Hopefully they got to whoever actually paid for them.

Not too long after we were seated, our first character arrived. It was Lilo. This was good for two reasons. One, we did not yet have Lilo's autograph and two, Lilo is not in any way threatening. Joey was happy to have Lilo sign her book and pose for a picture:

IMG_0107.jpg

Right after Lilo's visit, the parade started. On our previous O'Hana breakfast, Pluto came along and took Joey by the hand. But this time, she did not want to participate in the parade. After the parade was over, I noticed the characters scatter for their breaks.

We were still missing a few things. The food had come out, but ni Mickey waffles. I had talked up the waffles and Joey had decided that was all she wanted to eat. So, she was getting hungry and impatient. Also, our promised booster seat was no where to be found.

I saw a stack of boosters over by the wall. It was a cast member station of some kind, but I figured I'd go grab one anyway. As I did so, Lilo tapped me on the shoulder. I'm not sure if she was trying to tell me I shouldn't be there. But once she saw me grab the booster and go, she waved and went on her way.

Joey was happy to have her booster seat. Jessie, who was more or less a constant companion at this point, sat across the table from her. And soon, the Mickey waffles arrived. Joey got three of them. I helped her pour the syrup over them. She was thrilled to do so and to see how the waffles held the syrup in Mickey's face as I had said they would.

So we finally had everything. The food was good though far from exceptional. We ate our fill and were more or less ready to go. However, we still hadn't seen any of the characters other than Lilo. Mickey and Pluto weren't all that big of a deal because we had seen them already at the Garden Grill. But now Joey really wanted to see Stitch.

As I said before, the place was busy. There was a large table right before us that was really monopolizing the characters. Whenever a character got to their table, they made them walk up and down the table rather than just gathering around them. Every single person at the table needed an individual autograph and picture session. And there were group shots as well.

At the start of the meal, the waitress had warned us that if we missed a character, it could take up to an hour for them to come around again. I figured that if we were seated at the wrong end of the cycle, our breakfast would have to last an hour if we expected to see all the characters.

Here we were around the 45 minute mark and we had still only seen one character. And frankly, we were ready to make our way to the Magic Kingdom. Fortunately, Stitch and Pluto were in sight.

As they both dealt with the big table of no return, the announcement was made that the parade was forthcoming. This made me nervous because I had observed that breaks usually followed the parade. If we didn't get our Stitch visit in before the parade, we might be in for a wait.

Fortunately, Stitch and Pluto seemed to jump into overdrive at the announcement. They started flying through tables as quickly as possible. Yes, the character interactions were a bit rushed. But at this point we were fine with that.

First up was Pluto who was once again happy to see his face on Joey's pen:

IMG_0109.jpg

And then came Stitch.

IMG_0108.jpg

Scribble, cheese, snap!

Bill please!

Next up: Last day at MK!

smk

You never know. Somehow, we always end up going back to Orlando sooner than we planned. We were watching Celebrity Apprentice the other day and Mindy said how much she'd love to go see Harry Potter without the kids! (She'd never actually do that. She's all talk.)

Glad you're enjoying the report! I can't believe I'm almost done writing it!
We are thinking of going just to ride Harry Potter. Of course, I would never agree to go without at least going to MK for a day. It will be fall before we can even think about going, the crowds will be crazy until the buzz dies down but it does look like a great time.

lebeau

Original Poster
We are thinking of going just to ride Harry Potter. Of course, I would never agree to go without at least going to MK for a day. It will be fall before we can even think about going, the crowds will be crazy until the buzz dies down but it does look like a great time.

Our 2008 trip was originally just going to be 1/2 day at MK for the Halloween party. Soon, we added on weeklong passes to Sea World and Aquatica (which Mindy loves).

Then, we added a day at DHS so we could eat at 50's PTC and Mindy could ride ToT (which she loves). The joke was on her though because she got pregnant and couldn't ride it.

Finally, my father-in-law and I took a day trip to Uni which is actually the only time I've ever been there.

I think I could go to Orlando and not do Disney. Their pricing structure makes it most efficient to choose to do an all-Disney trip or everybody else. So, we may do a Uni/Sea World trip once Potter mania dies down a little.

The problem there is that if the kids are a little too young for somethings at Disney, they are way too young for most things at Uni.

Oh well. Someday, I'm sure we'll get around to checking it all out.

lebeau

Original Poster
Tues 3/23: Splash! Ahhhh!

(A churro with carmel sauce to the first person who catches the lame 80's reference in this entry's title.)

We abandoned O'Hana without seeing Mickey. But no one was too broken up about it. We'd paid a visit to the Mouse early in the trip. More importantly, we had his signature forever documented in Joey's autograph book. So we hopped the monorail and headed off to the Magic Kingdom.

Breakfast made us a little later than usual this morning. I was a little worried when we arrived because the place looked packed. But as it turns out the traffic was a result of the Move It, Shake It, Celebrate It parade. Last trip, Joey had little patience for parades. But this one was short enough and lively enough to hold her attention.

We followed the parade down Main Street. Mindy and Joey were on a mission. Fo some reason, they had decided that the most important thing on our agenda today was to buy chocolate covered strawberries on Main Street. I asked if we could get them on the way out, but Joey was adamant that it should be done first thing.

We had a ton of snack credits saved up at this point (in case you missed it in previous posts, I don't think the DDP is worth the money because it forces you to buy more food than any normal person would ever choose to eat!). So we picked up strawberries and fudge at the Main Street confectionary.

Joey scarfed down her strawberry and started on the fudge. Mindy liked her strawberry but said she preferred the ones she makes at home with Hershey's chocolate. (Mindy has some insane obession with Hershey's chocolate. Nothing else will do).

Having just finished an all-you-can-eat breakfast, I opted out of the treats. But I was impressed by the size of the strawberries. And judging by the way Joey inhaled hers, they must have been pretty good. I sampled the fudge later and it was good. An excellent use of a snack credit.

After the chocolate binge was out of the way, we headed to Frontierland. I had raved about how great Splash Mountain was after riding it on our last day at MK. And Mindy had never been on it before. Mindy verified on her blackberry that SM was still a walk-on. So she decided to check it out before the lines got bad.

Almost as soon as she queued up, a line began to form behind her. So I think we timed that just right. While Mindy rode Splash Mountain for the first time, I took the girls over to the play area. It was a little too young for Joey and too old for Kara, but they both had fun.

IMG_0112.jpg

Mindy was back in no time and the girls weren't ready to abandon the playground yet. The line had gotten too long for me to walk on to Splash Mountain, so I decided to run to the gift shop and check out the Splash Mountain T-shirts.

I immediately found one I liked. It has kind of a tie-died vibe with different shades of blue. On the front, the Song of the South characters are taking the plunge down Splash Mountain. All the details on the shirt are right. And it says "Magic Kingdom" and "Walt Disney World" instead of something generic like Disney Parks.

It was $30 which is more than I like to spend on a T-shirt. But it was a really nice T-shirt. And then I remembered that I had a $50 gift certificate in my wallet which I had been awarded at work just before we left. Score! Free T-shirt! I gotta tell you, this is my new favorite shirt. I wear it all the time.

After scoring my shirt, we decided to head over to Adventureland. It was close and it was the only land in MK we hadn't been to yet. Plus Joey could ride most of the rides there.

She was a little apprehensive about Pirates of the Caribbean. Last time, it scared her a little. This time, she wasn't a fan of Davy Jones or that drop at the beginning, but after that it was smooth sailing.

After Pirates, we headed over to the Jungle Cruise because it was also a walk-on. On the way, we saw whatever Pirate show they have going on with Jack Sparrow. We didn't stop to watch the show, but there was a crowd gathered that seemed to be enjoying it. Both Mindy and I were impressed with Jack. He was pretty spot-on.

Let's not mince words. Mindy hates the Jungle Cruise. She thinks it's lame. I guess she's never had a good skipper before. This time we had Skipper George. You can say what you like about Skipper George, but the guy had energy.

Before our cruise could begin, Skipper George chastized some passengers for texting. The passengers in question were senior citizens. But they refused to stop no matter how Skipper George rode them. They were laughing the whole time, so everyone laughed with them.

Our cruise was a lot of fun. So, hats off to Skipper George. He finally made a believer out of Mindy. Now I don't have to hear about how lame the Junge Cruise is any more.

We were slowly running out of things to do and our afternoon break was fast approaching. I asked if there was anything else anyone wanted to do in the Magic Kingdom this trip because I wasn't sure if we would make it back. (We didn't.) The answer was the Monster's Inc Laugh Floor.

We'd never seen MI, but Mindy really wanted to. Especially since she liked Turtle Talk with Crush so much. I'd heard mostly bad things about MI, but decided to check it out for myself.

As it turns out, the humor in Monster's Inc was right up Joey's alley. We got off to a good start with the pre-show which featured Mike getting injured in various ways. Nothing entertains a 4-tear-old like someone getting hit with an anvil and then falling down a trap door.

I can see why some poeple don't like the show. The jokes weren't especially funy. But it was fast paced and the audience interaction made it worth doing once. It helped that Joey was selected to play the part of Boo.

The monster that was recapping the plot to Monster's Inc introduced Joey as Boo and asked her to play Peek-a-Boo. Joey got shy and didn't respond. Since she was sitting on Mindy's lap, Mindy manipulated Joey's hands to cover her eyes. Joey's hands were balled up in fists, so the monster comedian aksed, "Why is that woman making Boo poke her eyes out?"

Okay, I guess you had to be there.

After Joey's brush with stardom, we headed back to the resort. Full from breakfast and Main Street treats, we skipped breakfast. Kara slept at the bus stop and all the way home. So we decided that we would all spend the afternoon at the pool.

Typically, Joey and I went to the small pool near our room. But Mindy really wanted to check out the Old Man Island pool. So, off we went.

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0115.jpg

I made sure to check out the water slide first thing. Very nice. This seemed like a great pool for families with older kids. However, Joey really preferred her little pool with no splashing and a minimum of other kids.

Mindy and Kara returned to the room and Joey and I stayed at the pool a little while longer. Then we headed back to get ready for the last park visit of our trip.

Next up: Another night at DHS

Todd L

I think I could go to Orlando and not do Disney. Their pricing structure makes it most efficient to choose to do an all-Disney trip or everybody else. So, we may do a Uni/Sea World trip once Potter mania dies down a little.

I have spent 3 vacations on site at universal and Ive gotta say.It was amazing. we had a great experience and are making plans to do a march 2011 trip . Hoping Harry potter has calmed down by then But even if it hasnt The Front of the line pass for resort guest will make all that stress go away.

Dont go during Fright nights with the little ones its really Over the top scary and avoid the Mardi gras nights too.........It gets a little adult...I had a blast.

lebeau

Original Poster

I have spent 3 vacations on site at universal and Ive gotta say.It was amazing. we had a great experience and are making plans to do a march 2011 trip . Hoping Harry potter has calmed down by then But even if it hasnt The Front of the line pass for resort guest will make all that stress go away.

Dont go during Fright nights with the little ones its really Over the top scary and avoid the Mardi gras nights too.........It gets a little adult...I had a blast.

I couldn't take Mindy during Fright Nights much less the little ones! She wets herself if she sees someone in a Halloween mask.

A could years ago, we went to a Ripley's haunted house. Since it was no where near Halloween, it was off season and a weekday, there were only 4 of us in the house at the time. I think somone communicated to the actors that Mindy was a screamer because every single one of them walked right up to her.

In one room, the actor eventually dropped character and helped her to the door because she could not move forward on her own.

Even so, we flew through the place. Mindy was up front, so when she started running she dragged us all with her. We were told the entire thing would take about 20 minutes, but I swear we got through it all in 10.

The last room, we heard a chainsaw start up. I couldn't tell you who was holding it because I never saw the guy. We were long gone by the time he got there.

Adventure

"Splash! Ahhhh!"
Ok, just a guess here... Is it the Alkaseltzer commercial?
I hope so, it's getting close to dinner but I would love a churro.

sweetpee_1993

"Splash! Aaaagh"

My vote is the old Nestea commercials. It seemed anytime me & my sibs were swimming in a pool there would be 15 minutes of 5 kids running circles doing the Nestea bit over & over & over....

TakeMeThere81

Great Report!!

First off, I have to say thank you. I've had the crappiest day and it is wonderful to ist down, relive your trip and have a little Disney magic sent my way. :)

I'm loving your report! In fact, I started taking notes because I had so much to comment on. So bare with me, I'm just commenting on Day 1: EPCOT:

First off, your kids are so cute!! And that Joey is such a photo ham!!

Sorry the plane ride didn't go well. It can be hard with kids. And the baggage thing gets me fuming too! It's hard to get all your stuff in one bag! Plus, people are maxing out the size they can carry on which often leaves no space in the overhead bins and then you have to check it under the plane(which personally makes me nervous...) Anyway, I hope your return trip went better.

It seems Earl of Sandwich is the best counterservice restaurant ever! I have never heard one bad review and they do seem to move along well. We love it!

I can't believe it took you 2 hours to find your tickets once leaving DTD. Is there no customer service booth there anymore?

Good call on the Soarin'/Breakfast combo plan! You really salvaged the mood in doing so. Yes, The Land is a madhouse in the morning. It is not my favorite way to begin my EPCOT touring day. However, if you wanna ride Soarin', you really need a FP...

For some reason, our kids never have problem leaving us during Turtle Talk either. I guess maybe it's the atmosphere? They tend to be cautious so it surprised us too.

Ahh, I love the CM with their squeaker!! We've seen a few of these. They sure have fun with them. However, they've never needed a book or pen to play their game, usually my kids' noses suffice. :)

Your counterservice at PO sounds familiar. Wrangling strollers, food trays, weaving in and out of chairs and tables...yes. And there's always the kid who once you sit down wants Ketchup, a straw, napkins, and before you know it, mom and dad have barely had a chance to eat! J/K

Yes, you are right! Those WS shops are the BEST place to meet characters! There is hardly ever a line. It's like a secret they aren't loud about telling. They have a little pointer/hand sign, but it really isn't advertised much.

I can't wait to read more!

Tinkermommy

Great report. You've really gotten me in the mood for our May trip! We had the wet stroller experience last year. We ducked into Pirates for a quick ride and when we came out we discovered a tsunami had passed through and the double stroller was soaked. Helpful CMs gave us big plastic merchandise bags to put on the seats, but the kids eventually got wet butts anyway.

My husband and I have been trying to decide if we should rent a car for this trip or try to use the buses. AFter reading your report, I'm definitely leaning toward the car! We are staying in Kidani Village, which is the farthest from everything. Our three year old loses patience pretty fast.

Thanks for sharing!

TakeMeThere81

Day 2: MK and DHS:

Great move making Joey in charge of your tour...things work better when the kid is in charge somehow!

Very smart move with the pixie dust. I don't call that dishonest, I call it smart. Kids don't realize how unrealistic it is for you to go pick up every single piece. You gave her magic, that's all that matters

Joey's face paint was beautiful!

Sorry Cosmic Ray's wasn't good, but at least you saved more room for dinner later!

and speaking of which, (along with Cosmic Ray's) we've never eaten at 50's Primetime(or Garden Grill for that matter!) Your reviews have me convinced, I need to hit those places!

And not to end on a negative note, but man, it sounds like that CM at DHS closing was R-U-D-E rude!! She could have at least been sweet about the park being closed, and not so matter-of-fact. Very un-Disney!

lebeau

Original Poster
"Splash! Aaaagh"

My vote is the old Nestea commercials. It seemed anytime me & my sibs were swimming in a pool there would be 15 minutes of 5 kids running circles doing the Nestea bit over & over & over....

The Splash! Aaaaah! thing was me being silly. In my head, I was hearing Queen's theme to that horrible Flash Gordon movie.

Nice guess on the Nestea plunge though! That takes me back.

I'm feeling generous. Churros and/or dole whips for all who guessed.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom