The Ecstacy and the Agony: 3/17-3/24 Trip Report

This report may be on interest to anyone travelling with small children, those staying at Port Orleans, or those considering the Disney Dining Plan (and of course to those who just enjoy reading about other people's Disney trips).

The title of this trip report comes from the Unofficial Guide's chapter regarding traveling to Walt Disney World with kids. We've been to WDW with kids before, but on this trip we had a 4-year-old and an infant. Over the course of a week, we all experienced plenty of ecstacy and agony.

Ordinarily, I wouldn't have been fool-hearty enough to attempt such a trip. We went in 2008 when my wife was pregnant with our youngest. The idea behind that trip was that it would be a farewell to Orlando until the kids were old enough to really enjoy it.

But then a unique opportunity arose. I detailed the entire experience of planning this trip in this thread: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=545256. If you feel like reading the background of how this trip came to be, go back and read-up. We'll wait for you.

For those who didn't bother going back to read the pre-trip thread, here's a rundown on the players:

Obviously, there's me. I'm the Disney fan in the family. More specifically, I'm the Disney parks nut. I had been to MK as a kid and Epcot as a teen. But I didn't get crazy about Disney until I went as an adult. My wife was a big fan of Mickey Mouse. But she'd never been to WDW. So when I planned our honeymoon, I figured we had to go to WDW. To be honest, I wasn't really looking forward to it. A few years later, I am here on the forums and my wife tolerates my Disney "obessession".

Then there's my wife, Mindy. I've pretty much told her story as relates to WDW. Honestly, she would prefer a more relaxing vacation than Disney World. Her idea of a vacation would be somewhere she can watch TV and swim. Yes, she can do both of those things at WDW. But I'm constantly dragging her out to the theme parks.

Joey, our oldest daughter is 4 (going on 5). She's a girly girl and can sometimes be shy. Other times, she loves the spotlight. This was her third trip to WDW and she has some memories of previous trips. Also, I prepared her for the trip by showing her lots of videos and pictures. Before we left, she was appointed as "the boss" of what we would and wouldn't ride.

Kara is the baby of the family. At the time we decided to take the trip, she was just a happy little bundle. She just sat and smiled at us. She was slow to start crawling, but once she did, she took off. At 10 months, she started walking. Now at 11 months, there's no stopping her. She wants to explore everything all the time!

In a supporting role, we have my younger brother. He was a cheerleader in college and taught cheerleading for many years after that. Now, he has moved into a more professional career. But he still judges cheerleading competitions from time to time. One of the reasons he does this is that he gets free trips to WDW.

One more note before I get into the trip itself, there will be pictures. But it will take me a little while to get to them. So, bear with me.

Wed, 3/17: Arrival Day

Arrival day was agony pure and simple. I won't get too deeply into the details here as they are too painful to relive. Also, I think I've blocked them from my memory. Things started off promisingly enough with a cab ride to the airport. Joey had been looking forward to riding in a taxi for a very long time. And she finally got her wish.

When we arrived at the airport, we were immediately hit with a baggage handling fee. $20 per bag for three checked bags for a total of $60. This came as a surprise to me as an infrequent traveler. In 2008 (our last flight) there had been no such charge.

I knew Delta had changed their policy, but I didn't worry too much because I had bought the tickets prior to the policy change and we had been grandfathered in. It turns out, the new charges were for carry-on bags. With no other options, I grumbled as I paid $60 for my bags to go on vacation with me. My wife fumed.

The bag fees were a minor hiccup compared to the flight itself. As I mentioned before, Kara had recently discovered walking. Ever since, she has been exploring her surroundings like crazy. So for her, sitting on our laps for two hours was not in the cards. When we wouldn't let her play on the floor of the plane, she launched into a screaming fit that lasted for most of the flight.

If you've ever been on a flight with a crying baby, you know it's torture. But trust me, it's far worse when the screaming baby is yours. Thankfully, all the guests around us were very gracious. If they were bothered, no one let on. And several started playing games of peek-a-boo or smiling and waving. This would usually stop the fits for a brief time.

When drinks came around, we got Kara some water. She likes drinking from bottles of water, but it tends to make a mess. In this case, the mess was on me. This was followed by a biscotti cookie. The cookie plus the water formed a kind of cinnamon-scented cement which bonded to my shirt for the rest of the night.

We arrived at the Orlando airport exhausted. But we were excited to leave the negative behind us and start enjoying our vacation. Thanks to Magical Express, we didn't have to worry about carting around luggage in addition to two tiny tikes. However, we did have our double stroller and some carry-ons.

At one point during the trip through the airport, Kara pulled off one of her shoes. I scooped it up and put it in a carry-on bag. Later on, a couple stopped us and asked if we were missing a shoe. I assured them that we had the shoe in our bag. Until I looked and saw that the bag had a rip in it. We hadn't even made it out of the airport and we were down 1 shoe.

The shoe was a hand-me-down, so we decided to move on without it. Kara has a habit of tossing her shoes, so I never really understood the point of buying them anyway. She never wears them for more than a couple of minutes at a time.

When we got to Port Orleans, all the girls were tired. But I was still full of excitement. The resort was even more beautiful than it looked in pictures. It was sunny and cool. I was sure the tide would change once we got checked into our room.

The castmember at check-in was really taken with Kara. I had done on-line check-in, but it actually took a good ten minutes to complete the process because he kept stopping to play games with her. As a proud dad, I can't say as I minded. He gave her a sticker which she promptly ate (well, sucked on anyway).

We headed back to the room which was in building 28 in the Alligator Bayou section of the resort. It was a little challenging to find. The signs in Port Orleans aren't always as helpful as they could be. More than once during the trip, I took the scenic route to the room by accident. Usually, I didn't mind. But this time, we were all pretty tired.

When we got to the room, our bags weren't there. For me, this was not a big deal. I knew they were travelling separately from us. But apparently my wife didn't understand this when she packed. She had been counting on changing before we went out. So she wanted to stay in the room and wait on the bags to arrive. I didn't object as the idea of changing out of my cookie shirt was appealing.

After an hour or so, my wife reluctantly gave up on waiting for the bags. We had a lot to do and we were all getting hungry. Of course, I was still wearing a shirt covered in crushed up cookie cement. But with no idea how long we could be waiting, it seemed like a good idea to go get dinner.

The plan was to go to Downtown Disney. We were going to use our first counter service credits at Wolfgang Puck Express and then shop for an autograph book as I had promised Joey. Mindy and the girls would then head home and I would go to another resort to pick up our free tickets.

What we had not counted on was that Downtown Disney was packed. It was St Patrick's Day and even the counter service restaurants were standing room only. The line at Puck's was around the block. And my wife was now blaming me.

Mindy and the girls get especially grumpy when they are hungry. So I decided to try Earl of Sandwich thinking that the line would be shorter. I'm not sure if it was shorter or not, but it seemed to be moving faster. All the while, Joey was getting whinier, Kara was getting more fidgety and my wife was fuming.

I was trying to grab a table before we even got our food. But with two little kids in a double stroller, we had limited mobility. As soon as a table became available, someone else pushed through the crowd and grabbed it. No one took mercy on us.

After we got the food, I found an empty table outside. When I say it was empty, I mean it had been stripped of any and all chairs. But I noticed lots of people sitting at tables which were bigger than their party required (a theme that would run through most of our counter service experiences on this trip). I went from table to table asking for empty chairs. After being turned down a couple of times, I finally found a party that was willing to give up their empty chairs.

Finally, the day could turn around. Or so I thought. As soon as Joey saw her peanut butter and jelly sandwich, she started crying. She expected a pb&j on white bread with the crust cut off the way she would get it at home. Instead, she had a crusty, toasty thing that was completely foreign to her. She was inconsolable.

(The sandwich didn't go to waste. As would happen many times on the trip, Kara stepped up and finished Joey's meal.)

After our failed dinner, we went to World of Disney to buy the autograph book I had promised Joey. Joey and shopping go hand in hand. She would have been happy to stay in World of Disney all week. And after the pb&j debacle, I was happy to buy her something extra.

I showed her all of the autograph books and pens. She was very reluctant to commit to any one book or pen. Instead, she wanted to look at everything. Especially the toys. Unfortunately, I needed to see someone about our tickets and it was getting late.

My wife was still fuming about the entire situation, but she agreed to let me go pick up the theme park tickets. Long story short, I spent about two hours on Disney buses picking up the tickets. When I got back to the room, the girls were all asleep.

To my surprise, Joey had picked out an autograph book with Mickey and friends on it. I was sure she'd go for princesses or Tinker Bell. But instead she went for the old school autograph book with a matching Pluto pen. (more on this later). She also picked out a Vinylmation figure. (much more on this later).

Tired, weary and hoping to make it to Epcot by rope drop, I finally turned in to bed around 11:30.

Don't worry, folks. Things get a lot better on day 2. And we start taking pictures to break up all the text!

I'll post Day 2 as soon as possible. Thanks for reading.

lebeau

Original Poster
Fri 3/19: The Great Movie Ride and the Okay American Idol Experience

There really wasn't a lot for us to do at DHS. Technically, Joey was tall enough for everything but the Rock'n'Rollercoaster. But after Soarin' I knew Tower of Terror was a no-go. And I figured Star Tours was unlikely. Joey doesn't usually have the patience for shows. The Backlot Tour was down for renovation. So that left the Great Movie Ride.

On our last trip, Joey loved the Great Movie Ride. The only movie she recognized at all was the Wizard of Oz. But she was fascinated by the witch! We rode it two times that day.

GMR is a great after-dinner ride. There was no wait. Everyone could ride. And there was no chance of motion sickness.

I have to admit, I wasn't all that impressed with the Great Movie Ride when I first experienced it. But my appreciation has grown. It helps that Joey is utterly fascinated by it. Her eyes are wide the entire time. She just sits there taking it all in. And nothing scares her. Not the witch. Not the alien. Not the mummies. She loves it all.

I don't know if the ride has gotten any touch ups, but both Mindy and I thought it looked better than we remembered it. Even Kara seemed to enjoy it. And she wasn't even eating anything!

After GMR, we stepped out to see people loading into the American Idol show. Mindy's a big AI fan and she was determined to see the AIE during this trip. So we followed the crowd in.

As the cast member came out to warm up the crowd, I turned around to see how full the auditorium was. It was about 3/4s full but people were still coming in. The pre-show entertainer was good. Very energetic. He got the audience on their feet and laughing. There was definitely a party-like atmosphere.

Before the show started, I turned around again. There were some empty seats, but the place was pretty packed. This was the final show, so I imagine it was busier than most of the rest of the shows that day. But I was impressed with the turnout nonethless.

The show itself was okay. Frankly, I can't imagine an American Idol show being done any better than this one. The one thing I would like to see changed would be to make the show a little shorter. We had seven contestants. Obviously, they all had to sing. But to have each one banter with the host and the judges and occassionally get advice from the pre-recorded Idol winners was a bit too much. I thought the show dragged a little in spots.

The seven contestants we saw that night were all pretty good. No one embarassed themselves. The guy who won was my favorite, but Joey was disappointed. She wanted a girl to win. In particular, she liked the girl who did the spot-on Millie Cyrus impression. Oh well, good taste won out.

At some point during the show, someone made a comment about the show being 22 minutes. I knew there was no way we were going to blow through 7 contestants in 22 minutes, but I was surprised to find upon exiting that the show had lasted an hour!

It was roughly 8:00 and the park was deserted. We decided to run by Pixar Place to see what the wait was for Toy Story Mania. We took about two steps before we caught the attention of a cast member. I was aware of her watching us, but I kept on walking.

The cast member's expression was disapproving. I had a bad feeling, but we kept on moving. After another couple of steps, she started walking towards us.

"Where are you going?" she asked.

"Well," I said. "We were heading towards Pixar Place..."

I could tell by her tone that...

"The park has closed," the cast member said as though we were trespassing.

"Oh," I said. "Sorry. I thought the park was open till 10 tonight."

"It's not," she said curtly.

And with that, we turned around and left. Our bus station was the farthest one from the gate and of course the bus we rode home on was standing room only. But I figured that's what happens when you leave the park after the last show lets out. Turns out, this be the best bus ride we'd have coming home from DHS the whole trip.

All in all, it was a great day in spite of some hiccups at the end of the night.

Coming soon: Breakfast at the Castle (and more pictures!)

corey154

you guys are braver than me, i'm an AI fan like your wife, but there's no way i'm going to sit that long to listen to people sing...you should win a hubby of the month award for that one....lol.

lebeau

Original Poster
you guys are braver than me, i'm an AI fan like your wife, but there's no way i'm going to sit that long to listen to people sing...you should win a hubby of the month award for that one....lol.

That works in theory. But in practice, it's impossible for me to score brownie points while we're in WDW. The fact that we're in WDW means the best I can do is break even. But getting in the dog house is exceptionally easy!

In fairness, the AI show is as good as I could ever imagine an AI show being. And the judges and host made it as entertaining as they could. If you're an AI fan, I'd definitely recommend trying it once. If an hour is too long, check out the earlier shows. You'll get a kick out of it. The set is amazing!

tiaragirl

That works in theory. But in practice, it's impossible for me to score brownie points while we're in WDW. The fact that we're in WDW means the best I can do is break even. But getting in the dog house is exceptionally easy!

What a miserable outlook, hahaha. I'm sorry, but how can you NOT have fun at WDW? Perhaps you should take Mindy on a getaway vaca sans kids to lift her spirits for the next Mickey excursion.. 'cause honestly, I don't know if I could deal.

Your kids are adorable, your trip looks like it was fabulous.. can't wait to see Princess breakfast pictures =)

lebeau

Original Poster
What a miserable outlook, hahaha. I'm sorry, but how can you NOT have fun at WDW? Perhaps you should take Mindy on a getaway vaca sans kids to lift her spirits for the next Mickey excursion.. 'cause honestly, I don't know if I could deal.

Your kids are adorable, your trip looks like it was fabulous.. can't wait to see Princess breakfast pictures =)

I'm partially kidding. Partially.

Next vacation definitely won't be Disney. I have to give Mindy credit. We've been on 5 full blown vacations since we got married and 4 of them have been Disney World. So, she's due for a break.

nepalostparks said:
Such a detailed report, thanks for taking the time to share. Looking forward to seeing and reading more! :wave:

I'm a detail guy, what can I say. Believe it or not, this is all from memory. No notes for this guy (although the pictures help job my memory.)

lebeau

Original Poster
Sat 3/20: Race to Cinderella's Castle

I booked breakfast at Cinderella's Royal Table before I was even sure we were going on the trip. I knew the dates that we might possibly be down there, so I figured I would see if I could get a reservation.

I had done this before out of curiosity and I had never been able to get the coveted breakfast reservation. Then again, I never tried very hard.

This time was different. If you recall, Disney experimented with a 90 day window for ADRs. When they went back to the 180-day window, they threw open the floodgates and the system crashed.

I tried getting through to the call center and the website a few times that day to no avail. I wasn't too worried about it since the trip wasn't even a sure thing yet. I was mostly just curious to see if it could be done.

The next day, I tried again first thing in the morning. The system was still down. Honestly, I kind of forgot about it. Later that day, I was hanging out here at the forums (like I do) and someone mentioned that the call center was up even if the website was still down.

I decided to give it one last shot. Success! Sat morning at 8:05 am. Seemed like a pretty plum reservation to me.

We didn't tell Joey for months just in case we decided to cancel it. But eventually, I mentioned it to her to test the waters. She was immediately excited about it and any thought of cancelling was put to rest.

As I mentioned before, pre-daylight savings we were regularily up at 6:00 am. So, I wasn't worried about making it to an 8:05 reservation. But post daylight savings time and worn out from our travels, we had yet to make it to the parks by rope drop (although we'd always been close). We knew we were going to have to set an alarm if we were to have any chance of making it.

I woke up before the alarm by at least an hour. I was nervous about getting everybody ready. We had allowed 20 minutes for a bus to arrive, 30 minutes for the trip and 10 minutes to get in the gate and make it to the castle. If everything went according to plan, we'd be there at 8 with 5 minutes to spare.

Of course everything did not go according to plan. The girls were a little sluggish and it took a few extra minutes to get to the bus station. As we approached, we hear the dreaded sound of a bus departing. I got there just in time to see that we had missed a bus to the Magic Kingdom.

No worries. Busses came every 10 minutes or so. And it seemed like MK busses were the most common in the morning. But not today. No, on the day we had our earliest reservations, MK busses would prove to be quite scarce.

We watched bus after bus arrive and depart. We saw at least three busses each for Epcot, DHS and AK. And at least two for Downtown Disney. But still no MK busses.

We watched our watches growing increasingly nervous as the minutes ticked away... (Okay, I don't wear a watch. I watched my cell phone.) Since we paid for the meal in advance, I wasn't sure how late we could be before they would consider us no shows. One thing was for sure, the clock was ticking and we were going to be late.

At about quarter till 8, an MK bus finally arrived. Our bus driver, Wally, asked if we had reservations any where and offered to drop us of wherever we wanted to go. He explained that he was actually on the Downtown Disney route but he was filling in due to complications.

We told him we had reservations at the castle in 20 minutes. He assured us he could make it in time, but he had a few more stops to make.

First stop, no one was waiting for a bus.

"Looks like you guys are in luck," Wally called back with a smile. "You still got your private bus."

Next stop, a couple of people. Wally boarded them quickly and we were off.

Next stop, the dreaded French Quarter. Joey came to truly resent the French Quarter during our trip. They always got dropped off and picked up first. And they always packed the busses.

This was no exception. The French Quarter station was a zoo. Our "private bus" became standing-room only. Wally boarded people as quickly as he could, but there were wheelchairs and scooters in the pack. We were now definitely going to be late.

Wally went over his spiel to the whole crowd now. He was on loan from DTD and if anyone was eating at any of the MK area resorts, he would be happy to drop them off directly where they were eating.

We were making really good time. Wally wasn't driving recklessly, but he was definitely making every effort to get us to MK as close to our reservation time as possible.

When we arrived at MK, Wally explained that the bus station for Port Orleans was the one farthest from the gate. (It always was.) He said he was dropping us off as close to the main gate as possible, but that we would want to go to the far gate when we returned to Port Orleans.

Wally dropped us off on Mickey's doorstep. It was 8:05. We were late, but we were in striking distance. We made sure to stop and thank Wally on the way out. He gave us a wink and said "No problem. Enjoy your breakfast."

Wally, thanks again, man. You're what it's all about!

As quickly as I could, I unloaded the stroller, strapped the girls in and made my way past security. We entered through a special line for people with early breakfast reservations and then blasted down Main Street in record time.

We were travelling so fast, we may have travelled back in time a little like Christopher Reeve at the end of the first Superman movie. But I can't prove that.

Somehow, we made it to our reservations just a few minutes late. Everyone breathed a sigh of relief as we made our way into the castle.

lebeau

Original Poster
Sat 3/20: Breakfast with Princesses

Almost as soon as we arrived, we were whisked into our photo session with Cinderella. In all the excitement, we forgot to hand our camera to the photographer so we could get a digital copy as well as the picture package that came with the meal. So, I can't post the picture with Cinderella just yet. Once I've had a chance to scan it, I'll post it - promise.

I had read that the princess interactions here were a little rushed. And that was the case here. But we didn't really mind. Joey was a little "star struck" meeting the princesses. She was too in awe of them to carry on much of a conversation. I think if she had been more responsive, the interactions would have lasted longer.

Cinderella was great. She had the look down. And the voice too. The mannerism. Everything. She told Joey she liked her shoes and asked if they slipped off like hers did. She signed Joey's autograph with a big swirly signature. Then, snap snap snap and off we went.

No denying it, being inside the castle was pretty darn cool. We were seated right away. Our waitress explained how the meal worked and we made our breakfast selections.

We were there early enough that the princesses were still being announced. This is a pretty cool little ceremony and a good reason to get an early reservation. It was fun to see who could guess which princess was next based on their introduction. I think I always guess first because no one else was paying much attention.

Our food came out quickly as did our photo package. The girls got their wishing stars and wands just in time for the first wishing ceremony. The ceremony was kind of cheesy, but Joey enjoyed waving her wand around.

All of the princesses were great. Again, they were a little rushed. But I think they'd have stayed longer if Joey had been a little more responsive. Still, Joey was thrilled to be meeting them in person. So no one minded that the interactions were relatively brief. We got pictures, autographs, hugs and a few words with each of them. Here's a rundown of who was there.

First up, Snow White:

Disney2010037.jpg

Snow White swooped right in and put Joey on her lap. Joey was pretty surprised to find herself suddenly sitting on a princess' lap. She asked Joey her name, but Joey responded too quietly. We clarified that her name was Joey.

The thing about having a girl named Joey is that sometimes you have to repeat it a couple of times for people to be sure. That was the case here. We're used to it. Once Snow White was sure of Joey's name she went on to ask her who her favorite little friend was.

This time, Joey was confused. So Snow White went on to explain about the seven dwarves. All the while, she was stroking Joey's hair. Joey was eating it all up. When Snow White finished her summary of her story, Joey proudly proclaimed that Grumpy was her favorite. Snow White laughed.

Next she visited with Kara. Kara wasn't at all sure about her. So Snow White patted her on the head and moved on to other tables.

Next was Aurora:

Disney2010038.jpg

Aurora noticed that all of the princesses on Joey's shirt were here at the breakfast. This was unintentional, but there was Cinderella, Aurora and Belle.

Aurora had a little more luck with Kara than Snow White did:

Disney2010KaraandAurora.jpg

Notice Kara's intense concentration on the french toast!

Next up was Jasmine:

Disney2010040.jpg

Jasmine seriously cracked me up. She asked Joey who Kara was. Joey was confused by the question. So, Jasmine clarified. She asked if Kara was Joey's little monkey. I'm still laughing about this as I type it. We always refer to Kara as a chubby little monkey.

Perhaps offended by the monkey comment, Kara didn't pose with Jasmine. Or maybe she was too busy concentrating on her french toast.

Finally, we had Belle:

Disney2010041.jpg

I think Belle said something or other about the Beast. I honestly don't recall. Belle was the only princess to come by our table twice. When the next wishing ceremony started, Belle came back and lead our table in making a wish. She was just terrific.

She also spent the most time with Kara:

Disney2010042.jpg

In case you hadn't noticed, Kara was digging the french toast. For whatever reason (perhaps because she's French?) Kara kept showing the french toast to Belle. If you look closely at the picture, you can see a piece of french toast on the table that Kara insisted on giving to her.

The two most common criticisms I've read about Cinderella's Royal Table (other than the price which is undeniably steep) are that people feel rushed and that the food is bad. We were fine with the pacing of the meal. And while no one thought the food was exceptional, everyone thought it was acceptable.

I had the stuffed french toast. I thought it was very tasty. Mindy had half of it. She didn't care for most of her meal, so she passed around the sausage, potatoes, etc. Joey easn't a fan of the french toast. So Kara devoured that save the one piece she gave to Belle. Joey wound up eating fruit off of my plate.

In short, no one ate 100% of what was on their plates. But once we passed the food around, everyone got something they liked. We didn't wait around for seconds and no one left full. But we were all satisfied with what we ate.

On our way out, I stopped on the staircase to point out the mice perched above Cinderella in the main room. It's a good thing we did. Because moments later, the doors opened and Lady Tremaine was standing in the entrance. Had it not been for the delay, we would have been standing right in front of her when she did so.

Even at a distance, Joey was pretty timid. Lady Tremaine kept making passive aggressive comments about Cinderella. Was her smile genuine? She can fake a smile, you know. We assured her that Cinderella's smile was genuine. Has she finished her chores? We explained that she didn't have to do chores any more.

Lady Tremaine got disgruntled and left. We explained to Joey that she couldn't tell Cinderella what to do any more. Joey was tickled.

And with that, we left for a very pleasant morning at the Magic Kingdom.

More to come...

Todd L

Whoaa, Jasmine was a hottie.
Yeah Im with you......we were there for lunch last year and I had my picture taken with her.........i tried putting my arm around her and she said "no,no,no,no,no .....My brave guards stand like this" and had me cross my arms...........My wife thought this was all hilaroius of course. I LOVE YOU JASMINE.:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL::cry:
DSC00326-1.jpg

I am giving her the stink eye in the picture............had been up 14 or 15 hours already and barley made our reservations....Ill never do that on arrival day again....Loving the Tr so far.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Totally enjoying this report--I am glad the trip is looking up for you all after a poor-ish start.

I do believe that the baggage charges you paid were for your checked luggage, not your carry-ons, because I don't think that Delta did grandfather tickets purchased before the introduction of bag fees. Of course, seeing as I am flying DL myself in May, you better believe my next stop will be to their website to check this out--I ain't payin' for no carry-on bags!! :fork:

Edit: Fact Check--Since my last trip on DL, they have added a charge for bags checked in online. Last time I vacationed, if you checked your baggage in online, there was no charge, but you would pay $20 or so to check them in at curbside or the counter. Now they have added an online baggage charge of $23, and are promoting that as a discount over the $25 at-airport baggage fee. And their website does say that you would only pay the fee that was in place when your ticket was booked, so maybe you didn't check your baggage online?? The website doesn't mention anything about fees for carryons, except that if the carryon is too large, they will make you check it (and then charge you a fee).

I love the pics of Joey being silly, they are my favorites.

lebeau

Original Poster
Totally enjoying this report--I am glad the trip is looking up for you all after a poor-ish start.

I do believe that the baggage charges you paid were for your checked luggage, not your carry-ons, because I don't think that Delta did grandfather tickets purchased before the introduction of bag fees. Of course, seeing as I am flying DL myself in May, you better believe my next stop will be to their website to check this out--I ain't payin' for no carry-on bags!! :fork:

Edit: Fact Check--Since my last trip on DL, they have added a charge for bags checked in online. Last time I vacationed, if you checked your baggage in online, there was no charge, but you would pay $20 or so to check them in at curbside or the counter. Now they have added an online baggage charge of $23, and are promoting that as a discount over the $25 at-airport baggage fee. And their website does say that you would only pay the fee that was in place when your ticket was booked, so maybe you didn't check your baggage online?? The website doesn't mention anything about fees for carryons, except that if the carryon is too large, they will make you check it (and then charge you a fee).

I love the pics of Joey being silly, they are my favorites.

I don't even want to think about the bag fees! :fork:

You are right of course. I really wasn't paying attention. In Jan, my wife told me Delta made some kind of change to their fees but we didn't have to worry about it since we booked in Dec. So I didn't look into it very much.

Since the last time we flew Delta (2008), there was no charge for 1 checked bag, I foolishly assumed this was still the case. Sigh.

I'm glad you're enjoying the report. Joey does love to ham it up for the camera!

Oh, and just to tease what's coming up... things take a turn for the worse. There's a day coming up in the report that is easily the worst day I've ever had at Disney.

(But the trip as a whole was still good.)

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes

Dude, I am 30 years old. I do not know how old you are. When I was 3 until now I have LOVED The Stray Cats. My brother was born in 1983 and when my mom and dad asked me what we should name him...Well his name is Brian...AWESOME shirt bro!

lebeau

Original Poster
Dude, I am 30 years old. I do not know how old you are. When I was 3 until now I have LOVED The Stray Cats. My brother was born in 1983 and when my mom and dad asked me what we should name him...Well his name is Brian...AWESOME shirt bro!

You're commenting on the shirt?!?

lebeau

Original Poster
He's recently engaged, and seems to be no dummy--of course he's commenting on the shirt!! :ROFLOL:

Smart man.

I'm relatively certain Mindy will never read this. So I'll go ahead and say I didn't notice there was a guy in the picture until just now.

Todd L

I am a Huge stray cats fan. I see Brian with or without the cats whenever I get the chance and Play Guitar In a Rockabilly band because of Him. I own a Gretsch Brian Setzer Model and am looking for another.

I live on long island so in the 80's they were Huge here...

Im 43 and a Big kid at heart. thanks man.

Todd L

Btw ..my wife is sitting less than three feet from me in this picture and Thought It was funny that i got shot down.............My daughter was mortified that Id be "interested" In Jasmine.........

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom