The "Disney Look"

E Ticket2Ride

I didn't think turbans would have been a problem. On my CP I remember seeing a few women who wore a hijab with their costumes. They were always very simple with no designs. I just figured Disney allowed them as long as they followed some guidelines.

I can imagine, though, how they would break show.

hardcard

Disney will be cleared here.. As this has happened many times before...

the answer? CAST MEMBERS... All of the employees are refered to as cast members.. Cast of a production show.. Of course complete appearance and costuming is a large part of any production, be it live, on stage, or movie..

Disney has used this defense in the past, and will likely use it again.. And FWIW, I agree with them 100%..

If this was a government agency, or what-not.. this would be different.. Somewhere along the line people forgot that working for any company is a PRIVELAGE not a RIGHT.

AEfx

It will be very interesting to see how this works out.

While I agree conceptually with the majority of people that it's just tough luck, take off our hat or you don't work, legally it's not that cut and dry, and as fosse76 says the burden is on Disney to "prove" why wearing a turban would ruin the "show". To the outside world, a guy who works serving burgers at Pecos Bills is no different than a guy who works at McDonalds, you've got to remember that that intangible "magic" is just that, intangibile and would be hard to prove that the headwear of an employee in a protected class would "ruin" it.

That said, I also think fosse76 is absolutely correct that it will be settled, and this guy will probably get a small chunk of change out of it just to get rid of him and it. Disney doesn't want to get into it with another religious group, they have enough issues with the Evangelicals.

AEfx

nmj91385

I am in agreeance with the majority here. I feel that working for Disney comes with a dress code. I do not feel it has anything to do with racism, prejudice, or religion. It has to do with dress attire. I also do not feel it has to do with 9/11 or terrorism.

Picture Aladdin with a turban and a beard. That would not work. There are just certain images that have to be kept. Disney is no way creating a bad work atmosphere. It is having a dress code just like every other employer.

macsmom

This next part is entirely seperate, but yet still somewhat realavent. I'm tired of the youth of today feeling that they are owed something. They should not expect to get a job in a professional setting that has very strict standards and show up to an interview with multicolored hair, piercing all over their faces and visible tattoos. Let's face it, that is just how corporate America is. If you can't deal with that, then don't expect to get the "good" jobs. (Again this was not aimed at the above topic, mearly an extension of said topic).

I work for WalMart. While there are lots of people working for the company, they still have some standards. A guy walked in for an interview with black shorts, a black concert t-shirt, his hair in a pony tail pulled backed through a hat, his black shoes were untied and flopped when he walked - he also had no socks on - and he wore a black three-quarters length coat. He also needed to shave. For some reason - and he questioned me about it later - he could not figure out why he was not hired. He looked like a bum. There was another guy there that morning with a tie on and got hired. He came across as more professional and is still with the company. The other guy still does not work. Image is everything.

danna

Bravesfn1

It will be very interesting to see how this works out.

While I agree conceptually with the majority of people that it's just tough luck, take off our hat or you don't work, legally it's not that cut and dry, and as fosse76 says the burden is on Disney to "prove" why wearing a turban would ruin the "show". To the outside world, a guy who works serving burgers at Pecos Bills is no different than a guy who works at McDonalds, you've got to remember that that intangible "magic" is just that, intangibile and would be hard to prove that the headwear of an employee in a protected class would "ruin" it.

That said, I also think fosse76 is absolutely correct that it will be settled, and this guy will probably get a small chunk of change out of it just to get rid of him and it. Disney doesn't want to get into it with another religious group, they have enough issues with the Evangelicals.

AEfx

I totally agree with you. Great post!

Bravesfn1

I work for WalMart. While there are lots of people working for the company, they still have some standards. A guy walked in for an interview with black shorts, a black concert t-shirt, his hair in a pony tail pulled backed through a hat, his black shoes were untied and flopped when he walked - he also had no socks on - and he wore a black three-quarters length coat. He also needed to shave. For some reason - and he questioned me about it later - he could not figure out why he was not hired. He looked like a bum. There was another guy there that morning with a tie on and got hired. He came across as more professional and is still with the company. The other guy still does not work. Image is everything.

danna

Yeah, but that guy didn't dress like that because of his religious beliefs. That was just his personal style. I agree that if you are going into an interview you should dress appropriately. This is about his religious beliefs, he can't just shave his beard and not wear his turban. He is required to dress that way according to his religion. You are totally missing the point of the conflict.

michelemily

In this type of profession, the employer dicates what the dress code is....for example, jim caveesil (sp?) the actor from bobby jones and the mel gibson film the passion of the christ) has been turnded down roles in movies because he refuses to take off his cross and because he will not appear naked. This is all because of his religious beliefs and why should he have more freedom than the people hiring him to do their movie the right way....believe me i am a catholic and i know that religion is important.....but in america you have a choice, take the job or don't take the job.....this is a different type of profession than working at a bank or at a grocery store....I think the lawsuit is frivilous and hope that it is dismissed. They are not saying he can't practice his religion.....there is a dress code....

Oh the ignorance of some on here!

Sikh, not Muslim. 9/11???? what are you talking about. It's pretty much the same as saying, people are scared around Jews because of the IRA bombings in Britain. Really people, wake up!!!

I would be interested to see whether the majority of the 'your choice etc' brigade, would like to raise objections to the Disney policy of allowing the US flag on costumes. Despite it detracting from the look and theme of the area. Other nationalities aren't allowed to have their flags on their costumes, yet Americans are. and why? because it was felt that Americans should be able to show their loyalty to their country post 9/11. I find it very difficult to see how the loyalty to the US, is more of a reason to detract from a theming and a show, than loyalty to your religion is.

You dont have to wear a flag to show you are paying respects. It also says where you are from on your nametag. It isnt breaking any religious or cultural law to not wear the flag, yet Disney changed their rules for that. (and is still in place 7 years on).

The posts of this forum are just pure hypcrisy

comics101

I just read an article on another site about a cast member who is suing Disney because they wouldn't let him wear his turban and grow his beard (he was sikh). Obviously, this isn't the "Disney Look," but I certainly don't think it's fair to fire someone because their religion requires them to have a beard and turban.

I'll leave you lot to ruminate while I run and hide in a bomb shelter... it could get ugly.

Was he hired, fired or did he quit?

AEfx

also, i would be intrigued to know where Disney stands on skull caps being worn.

Disney employees are not allowed to wear hats when on-stage, unless they are part of the costume.

I understand the legal questions here, and will follow the case with interest; but FWIW personally I have a hard time having sympathy for someone who thinks that God, Allah, or whatever you want to call it, cares if you wear a hat or not at work...

AEfx

Cattman96

Hypocrisy is the judicial system. You cannot discriminate against someone because of their religon, but wait a minute you cannot wear that cross to school. No wonder there is so much grey area and no clear cut option. If you give the guy a job backstage than you have set a precendent. Disney needs to stick to there guns on this one.

imagineer boy

I'm not really siding with him, but perhaps Disney could put him to work in Adventureland? His image would be perfectly at home there. I don't know, just a thought.:shrug:

But I'm with Disney on this one. Being hired at Disney is like casting roles for a play. You have to look the part.

But now after this, I can imagine the PC police will come in and will start calling Disney racists and Disney will change its guidlines just for the sake of making the controversy going away.:brick:

cblodg

Hypocrisy is the judicial system. You cannot discriminate against someone because of their religon, but wait a minute you cannot wear that cross to school. No wonder there is so much grey area and no clear cut option. If you give the guy a job backstage than you have set a precendent. Disney needs to stick to there guns on this one.

I agree completely, Disney needs to stick to their guns on this issue.

maryszhi

thats so sad, but disney has been know to have strict rules and things like that.
but they should have something for him. i mean there are so many backstage and onstage roles

EpcotServo

The job belongs to the employer, who hires a person to fill the job. They dictate the requirements for the job. Government has instituted some regulations that prevent discrimination against some groups (disabled, minority, etc.) but does allow employers to set restricting descriptors for some positions (a certain restaurant known for its wing-serving, well endowed young ladies comes to mind).

Nobody has a right to a particular job. We have been granted rights to expect fairness in selecting who fills the position and the way we may be treated at the job, but ultimately the job belongs to the employer.

Just like how NASA has the right to not hire aliens disguised as humans.
:lol:

:lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom