The "Disney Look"

tigsmom

Disney has to make a reasonable attempt to place him in a job away from the guests as was the case with the woman and her hijab. The woman refused the job and then sued Disney. She did not win. If there are no openings or if he refuses the job offered to him then...:shrug:

DisneyJoe

Its reasonable to assume that he knew about the "Disney Look" before he was hired, if not, soon thereafter. Isn't it taught in the Traditions orientation class?

disneymyway

Normally I would support the guy but the employees are "cast members" - right?

That would be like getting a part in a broadway show lie "Oklahoma" and telling the director you were going to wear your turban in the role of Curley.

cblodg

I just read an article on another site about a cast member who is suing Disney because they wouldn't let him wear his turban and grow his beard (he was sikh). Obviously, this isn't the "Disney Look," but I certainly don't think it's fair to fire someone because their religion requires them to have a beard and turban.

I'll leave you lot to ruminate while I run and hide in a bomb shelter... it could get ugly.

Though it may not be right, it is Disney's company policy. As others have pointed out, I'm sure this is explained in detail. If you can't for any reasons follow these guidelins, then do not except the job. This policy has been in existence for many years, and I highly doubt that a case could be made that it discriminates against this one culture.

This next part is entirely seperate, but yet still somewhat realavent. I'm tired of the youth of today feeling that they are owed something. They should not expect to get a job in a professional setting that has very strict standards and show up to an interview with multicolored hair, piercing all over their faces and visible tattoos. Let's face it, that is just how corporate America is. If you can't deal with that, then don't expect to get the "good" jobs. (Again this was not aimed at the above topic, mearly an extension of said topic).

tigsmom

No one is telling him not to be whatever religion he wants to be, just not dress like it.

Sometimes dress and beliefs cannot be separated. Muslims, Hasidics and many others have a strict dress code. There are just some professions that the clothing type will not fit into. Foregoing those professions is something you do because your religion is important and part of who you are. You cannot expect the corporate world to change everything to accommodate you. Disney does work to accommodate, up to a certain extent - enough to follow the letter of the law. If there is not a job open in the position that would fit this person's needs, it is not Disney's fault. Should they create a new job just for him? what about the next person that comes along?
Disney did hire him in a position that accommodated his beliefs, but when he wanted to return there were no openings, that is not Disney's fault nor a cause to sue.

zoejayne

This is a difficult one, Surely when you go for the interviews/job offer this is explained in your contract, if people dont want to accept this they simply dont take the job. I understand how important religious beliefs are to people, and similarly how important it is to Disney to not show prefernce to any particular religion.

i totally agree with this comment! The end of the day he should have known and yes it would have been in his contract so yea i agree with u Mouse Crazy

tigsmom

Though it may not be right, it is Disney's company policy. As others have pointed out, I'm sure this is explained in detail. If you can't for any reasons follow these guidelins, then do not except the job. This policy has been in existence for many years, and I highly doubt that a case could be made that it discriminates against this one culture.

This next part is entirely seperate, but yet still somewhat realavent. I'm tired of the youth of today feeling that they are owed something. They should not expect to get a job in a professional setting that has very strict standards and show up to an interview with multicolored hair, piercing all over their faces and visible tattoos. Let's face it, that is just how corporate America is. If you can't deal with that, then don't expect to get the "good" jobs. (Again this was not aimed at the above topic, mearly an extension of said topic).

I will add to that...my daughter works for a minor league baseball team. When you apply you leave your phone number and most people today use their cell as their contact. When they call and receive and obnoxious ring back tone (is that what its called - the song that plays until you answer) that application goes to the bottom of the pile. If you show up for your interview looking like you just rolled out of bed or in a t shirt and jeans you do not get hired. If you are unprepared to answer the questions asked of you, you don't get hired. This is corporate America, you are expected to behave/dress a certain way. if you choose not to do so then don't whine when you don't get hired.

Ilovewishes

We've had a couple of cases like this in Britain over the past year or so. A young girl sued her school as they wouldn't allow her to wear her hijab as it wasn't part of the school uniform.

Another lady, an airhostess, was disciplined by an airline for wearing a crucifx on a chain, which again, wasn't part of the company uniform.

I think it's all a case of perspective. At school, is the hijab really going to hurt as long as you can see her face? Also, is a tiny little crucifix going to hurt?

In terms of Disney, I really wouldn't find it offensive seeing someone with a turban and beard in full CM costume. The only time I would find it a bit weird and would support Disney's objections would be if the part was for a face character and it just wouldn't fit.

Then again, I am from Britain and "Multi-cultural" is our middle name!!!

cblodg

Then again, I am from Britain and "Multi-cultural" is our middle name!!!

I take exception to this. America is quite Multi-Cultural. The topic was not on multi-culturalism it was on where or not this man should have been fired for wanting/ wearing a beard and turban. Disney has VERY strict standards when it comes to ones dress and look. If ANYONE chooses not to follow this, then you don't have a job there.

It is as simple as that. I find Disney extremely excepting of other cultures, but they make it very clear that if you are going to work for them, then you will act and dress they way they want you to.

Ilovewishes

I didn't mean to cause offence. It's just that here, it is very hard to imagine being able to refuse someone a job because they wear a turban / hijab or similar. People have taken employers to Tribunal over these things and won. It just isn't allowed here and an employer would never get away with it, no matter what their policy was or how special the circumstances

I'm sorry that I offended you. I admire Disney for standing by their rules!

philsfan2185

I worked with someone who only had a backstage role because his skin on his face is ultra sensitive and he couldn't shave, so they allowed him to have a beard which he kept neatly trimmed. The beard was the length if he had grown it for a week. The reason Disney allowed it is because he got a doctors note explaining his condition.

I actually felt bad because I was playfully joking with him because he was allowed to have facial hair, but I didn't know his situation. Then he explained the whole story.

freakman

Hey this is the land of opportunity and free...if you do not like the rules of employment you have the opportunity to work elsewhere. Disney should have the freedom to set the rules of appearance on things that can be changed....it is not a physical problem such a skin color, gender or disabilty ...it is a choice. to have a beard or not. You are free to walk and live with your beliefs and wear a beard, turban, bald or what ever you like. If it was any other religion or race it would not be allowed to have the big beard..... I have been to both US dis parks several times and have met people working there from virtualy everywhere in the world....they hire everybody. comply,find a new job that fits your beliefs (there are lots) or live elsewhere...the freedom to choose is yours.

majorrfb

Choices

This is a difficult one, Surely when you go for the interviews/job offer this is explained in your contract, if people dont want to accept this they simply dont take the job. I understand how important religious beliefs are to people, and similarly how important it is to Disney to not show prefernce to any particular religion.

The desire to work for Disney is a choice. But to do so you have to accept certain parameters as part of the job description. If a person cannot accept the parameters, don't take the job:sohappy:

bgraham34

Hey this is the land of opportunity and free...if you do not like the rules of employment you have the opportunity to work elsewhere. Disney should have the freedom to set the rules of appearance on things that can be changed....it is not a physical problem such a skin color, gender or disabilty ...it is a choice. to have a beard or not. You are free to walk and live with your beliefs and wear a beard, turban, bald or what ever you like. If it was any other religion or race it would not be allowed to have the big beard..... I have been to both US dis parks several times and have met people working there from virtualy everywhere in the world....they hire everybody. comply,find a new job that fits your beliefs (there are lots) or live elsewhere...the freedom to choose is yours.

Well Said.

Eyorefan

I didn't mean to cause offence. It's just that here, it is very hard to imagine being able to refuse someone a job because they wear a turban / hijab or similar. People have taken employers to Tribunal over these things and won. It just isn't allowed here and an employer would never get away with it, no matter what their policy was or how special the circumstances

I'm sorry that I offended you. I admire Disney for standing by their rules!

In a normal office setting I would agree with you. I think most companies in America would have a hard time justifying not allowing a person to wear turban/hijab or similar as long as the person otherwise was adhering to their dress code.

However Disney is completely different. How their CMs dress is part of the Disney brand and forcing them to allow people to deviate from their dress code or their look would arguably damage or alter that brand.

CrashNet

Disney is a private company, giving them the right to set rules however they see fit. They are in the hospitality and entertainment business, and all of them have very strict rules for looks because at the end of the day, you are representing their best interests; in this case, Disney's.

I'm honestly very surprised they even gave him the job if he didn't not pass the Disney look. Disney used to (and I believe still does) not hire a candidate until they are within the guidelines of the Disney look. I had to (though I already met the requirements.) If he got by, someone is in trouble right now.

Look at it this way: Disney employees are called Cast Members because they are playing the part of a show. Each Cast Member is a character of a huge stage show, and to play the part, you have to act and look the part of the character.

I side with Disney on this one.

JessicaB

I don't think his religous beliefs are the problem. After all to each his own. The problem is that he is an on stage actor/musican in the parades and such. Actors change their hair, weight and such for certian roles that they take. If he is unwilling to change his look for a role. Then they are under no obligation to hire him. At the time of his previous hire there was a role available that would hide his turban and beard. When that role ended they no longer had one that would suit him. In my opinion Disney is not at fault this was not due to religous discrimination.

fosse76

The job belongs to the employer, who hires a person to fill the job. They dictate the requirements for the job. Government has instituted some regulations that prevent discrimination against some groups (disabled, minority, etc.) but does allow employers to set restricting descriptors for some positions (a certain restaurant known for its wing-serving, well endowed young ladies comes to mind).

You are being slightly misleading. Religion is also one of the protected groups, and your Hooters example follows an exemption in discrimination laws that allows for preference when there is a need for authenticity (French waiters in a French restaurant, theater/Hollywood casting, well-endowed female waitresses in a restaurant called Hooters). Under Federal law, An employer is required to reasonably accommodate the religious belief of an employee or prospective employee, unless doing so would impose an undue hardship. Disney would have to prove that their policy doesn't violate the law.

Nobody has a right to a particular job. We have been granted rights to expect fairness in selecting who fills the position and the way we may be treated at the job, but ultimately the job belongs to the employer. If, after employment, I decide for whatever reason, personal, religious, whatever, that I cannot adhere to the policy of the employer, I have no demands to make on that employer.

Disney generally hides behind the authenticity exemption when challenged on its dress code policy. With the Disney parks, it becomes trickier. Disney has every legal right to tell its employees they must wear a uniform, they mustn't have any visible tatoos, etc. But when it comes to religious requirements, Disney must reasonable accomodate the CM or have a legitimate reason not to. Unfortunately, I don't see how they can in this case. Since although they consider CM's to be part of the show, they would have to prove that the "show" requires non-muslim looking men and women. From what I have read of this case, Disney was well aware of his religious requirements and was accomodating him, but his manager decided that he didn't meet the dress code requirements. This could be problematic for the company. But of course, this case will settle, as it should.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom