The Culmination of It All - Tom & Sarah's WDW HONEYMOON Pre-Trip Report

It really has been a long time in the making. It has been roughly two and a half years since I first reported our Engagement during Christmas Wishes! on the Beach of the Polynesian. During that time, we have taken four additional trips to WDW in August 2008,
November/December 2008, August 2009 and October 2009.

For those unfamiliar with us, here are the characters to the Story. I'm Tom, the male. Sarah, female, is my beautiful fiancee.

The planning began almost immediately after we returned from that engagement trip with the first inquiry being a substantial one: Walt Disney World wedding? This question was one that we really struggled with. If we did a Disney wedding, that would effectively preclude many family members from attending, either as they wouldn't or couldn't fly, or that it would be too expensive for them to attend. Conversely, the wedding is about us, and Walt Disney World is definitely the location that best represents us. Me being the selfish one, I was slightly leaning towards the WDW option, while Sarah was leaning towards the other option, a wedding at our college, which is also conveniently halfway between Indianapolis, Sarah's hometown, and Plainwell (Michigan), my hometown. When we went on the August 2008 trip, we met with a Disney Fairytale Wedding planner, which sealed the deal. Although there are options priced for all budgets, the value for our money we could get in Valparaiso far exceeded Disney's comparable offering. Thus a Valparaiso wedding it would be.

The only other planning detail to which I can speak is the photographer, as that was my main task. My requirement here was that we find someone better than me. While that might sound arrogant, there are a surprising number of terrible wedding photographers out there. It seems these days anyone who buys a DSLR immediately fancies themselves as a professional. That is not the case. (Let this be a word of caution to any of you about to get married...make sure you do your homework and get an actual wedding photographer, not some cheap-o fly-by-night hack). It took a little while, but I ultimately found a great guy, who also happens to be a stunning photographer. Certainly miles above my ability, so I have no worries there.

If you have other questions about the planning details (I know that stuff might appeal to girls, and I suppose is a proper subject for a pre-trip report!), pose them here, and maybe Sarah will stop out of the shadows of lurkerdom, and post to answer them. Anything else you want to find out about the wedding can be found at our Wedding Website, AyresBricker.com.

Okay, enough actual wedding details--after all, this is a pre-trip report! Let's get discussing that minor detail that seems to follow the wedding...THE HONEYMOON!

Since we couldn't do a WDW wedding, we decided we had to do a WDW honeymoon! We started planning this at around the same time wedding planning began, with the fitting resort destination being the Polynesian. After all, it was where we got engaged, and our "dream" resort. Then we saw the price tag. Unfortunately, being a student doesn't pay as well as it might seem, so that was difficult to stomach.

Still, it would be our honeymoon, and we thought we deserved a little luxury. I started tossing around ideas, and one that I kept coming back to was Disney Vacation Club. We had already done several DVC tours (mostly for the free swag) both in WDW and at the Doorway to Dreams store in Chicago, and were subscribed to several resale emails, so much of the homework there was already done. I began pricing it out, and for only about $1,000 more than it would cost to stay at the Poly (assuming a reasonable discount on the Poly for our stay) we could buy a DVC contract that, if we banked all of our 2009 points and borrowed all of our 2011 points, would be enough to stay at Beach Club, BoardWalk, or Bay Lake Tower (three other "dream" resorts) for the duration of our stay. Even though the contract would cost $1,000 more, it was much more palatable given that it would have a great amount of residual value after our honeymoon. So we did it. It cost a substantial amount of the money we make with our summer jobs, and since we've made a lot of sacrifices during this school year and have been on a tighter budget, but we are both pretty happy about that decision.

With DVC, as you may know, you may book your non-home resort 7 months in advance. This meant that early one morning last December, we both got up and made the call to DVC at exactly 9 a.m. to book BoardWalk (first choice), Beach Club (second choice), or BLT (third choice). Sarah got through first. I watched with much eagerness. I saw her eyes light up. They BoardWalk! Woo hoo, 7 days at BoardWalk!!!

Our excitement at that point probably couldn't be much higher. Until a couple of days later, when Sarah convinced me that we should stay 10 days. I was reluctant about this at first, as I will be taking the Bar Exam in July, and I should be studying for long portions of the day everyday from May until July. Taking seven days off already has me a little nervous. But like I said above, it's our honeymoon--what the heck...and it's Disney! I can always retake the Bar! :ROFLOL:

Unfortunately, we did not have enough points to book the additional days at BoardWalk, nor was there any availability even if we did, so Sarah booked the additional three days at Old Key West. Not too shabby!!!

Around that same time, which was my finals time for the Fall semester, Sarah undertook the massive task of making our Advance Dining Reservations. Massive task is not an understatement. Since the park hours were not yet posted, Sarah made many reservations, most of which will be canceled when we get closer to the date of the actual honeymoon. Below are the ADRs we have currently. The ADR in italics is one we likely will use, bold is ones we'll definitely use, and regular font are ones likely to be canceled.

Sunday June 13, 2010:
Dinner - Kouzzina
Dinner - Garden Grill
Dinner - Kona Cafe
Dinner - 'Ohana

Monday June 14, 2010:
Lunch - Sci Fi Diner
Dinner - Sanaa
Dinner - Coral Reef
Dinner - Yak & Yeti

Tuesday June 15, 2010:
Dinner - Yak & Yeti
Dinner - Le Cellier
Dinner - Biergarten
Dinner - Coral Reef
Dinner - Sci Fi Diner

Wednesday June 16, 2010:
Breakfast - Cape May Cafe

Thursday June 17, 2010:
Dinner - Le Cellier
Dinner - 'Ohana
Dinner - Kona Cafe

Friday June 18, 2010:
Breakfast - Crystal Palace
Dinner - Victoria & Albert's

Saturday June 19, 2010:
Lunch - Beaches and Cream
Dinner - California Grill

Sunday June 20, 2010:
Dinner - Kona Cafe
Dinner - The Wave
Dinner - 'Ohana

Monday June 21, 2010:
Dinner - Sci Fi Diner
Dinner - Coral Reef Cafe
Dinner - Yak & Yeti

Tuesday June 22, 2010:
Dinner - Le Cellier
Dinner - 'Ohana

Wednesday June 23, 2010:
Breakfast - Crystal Palace

In the original post, I also had our tentative touring plan, but I think I will hold off on reposting that (it's almost bed time!) until a later date when I can be a little more thorough with it. Plus, I want to give you something to look forward to! :p We have been planning on a daily basis, so I will keep updating as more details are decided upon. Until then, thanks for reading and giving me something to do as I count down the 73 agonizing days (well, 72 agonizing days since the day before should be pretty fun!!!) until the Honeymoon!

Hyacinth2805

Yes, it's only 5 minutes from the Boardwalk to the IG (could be less if you walk quick)! I don't know how long it would take to get to the front of the park... I've never timed it, sorry!

And yes, you can pick up you TIW card at Guest Relations. Be warned though, if you ever lose it... it's gone. Apparently, they can't replace them now! So put it somewhere safe! That card stressed me out so much on our last trip... I was always double checking to make sure we had it!

Thanks for the info! We actually purchased the TiW card last Tuesday!

That post was supposed to say: YOUR kids are adorable!!!!!!

But no, I had to spell it wrong and now it looks like I'm an old fart.

I LOVE Gingers (your orange cat).

:ROFLOL:

Thanks! We're excited, just 6 days away!

20 minutes from Boardwalk to the front I believe is what my brother said.

Good to know. We will be walking to Epcot from BWV.

No one would have noticed your error, because Tom and Sarah are adorable, too! :lol:

From the BW boat dock to the IG turnstiles is .4 miles. It is another .6 from the IG turnstiles to the front entrance turnstiles. So I would guess anywhere from 15-20 minutes, depending on your pace.

http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3705539

Awesome! I have yet to use the gmap-pedometer. Thanks for sharing. You'll be at the world in 3 days! I'm jealous! Have a great time!!!!:)

If you frolic and skip around like you normally do...it should take you 8 minutes.

hahaha :sohappy:
Congrats to you both. Your story sounded amazing as does the trip. I don't know if you get this a lot or if it was said before, but I saw your picture in the Unofficial Guide to WDW. So you really made it big! Have a great trip, we will warm up the world for you as me and my girlfriend are going May 20-28. Once again congratulations!!

Thanks for your kindness. I'm proud of Tom for being published in the Unofficial Guide!
Have a great trip, too! I hope you post a TR after you return!

I have made it from the lighthouse at the Yacht Club to the front entrance to EPCOT in right at 15 minutes before without too much trouble. If you do it during a busy time at the park, you should probably tack on about 5 minutes to walk around traffic, but it should not be any more than 20 minutes.

As a side note, like everyone else I have loved all of your trip reports and can't wait to read this one. And tell Sarah not to let the wedding stress her out - I got married last weekend and my best advice is to just go with the flow. Not everything is going to work out exactly as you planned, but if you roll with the punches it will make it an easier day for both of you.

Best of luck in your lives together and keep up the great work! :)

Congrats on your recent wedding!! Thanks for the wedding day advice! The only thing I'm worried about, is that I'll cry too much. (tears of joy)
Best of luck to you and your new husband! :wave:

Ditto that. I got married 4 years ago (June 10th! Yay for June weddings!) and I was so excited about finally marrying my husband that I didn't care what happened. We even had a few of the crazier family wedding try to sabotage things, but I honestly didn't care at all. I was just excited that after 3 years of dating, planning our wedding for over a year, and finishing college that we were finally going to say "I Do" and start our lives together. Nothing beats that 1st apartment :)

I do wish we'd gotten to have a Disneymoon though. Our honeymoon was moving to Chicago and running around the city for a week before we started grad school & jobs. But it was fun...lots of museums and original Uno's pizza (boo to the chain locations!). I'm really happy you two are getting to go for yours (and a little jealous :)) I've been "lurking" and reading your recaps for a while now, and you two are so cute. And I LOVE that picture of you guys on the bench. So presh. Hope you have an incredible time (and eventually get to try Sci-Fi....throw me in the "pro" pile because the DH and I love having a "car date" there every year)

Congratulations on your upcoming anniversary!
I'm so excited to marry Tom, (I knew he was the one when I met him 5 years ago!) I will be easy going on our wedding day.
Also, I love the original Uno's pizzeria in Chicago!

Hyacinth2805

Recently, Tom's time has been consumed with studying. So, I made the countdown calendar for our Disneymoon!

HoneymoonCountdown.jpg
HoneymoonCountdown.jpg
HoneymoonCountdown.jpg

HoneymoonCountdown.jpg%22%3E
HoneymoonCountdown.jpg%22%3E

mbisenius

Congrats! We're also eating at California Grill on the evening of June 19 for our honeymoon. We'll see you there!! :) That's the first day of our trip and thought it'd be a nice place to start! Hope the rest of your planning goes well!

Hyacinth2805

I'm late to this party, too! I am so excited for ya'll! I CAN NOT WAIT to see those wedding pictures!:sohappy:
:) Thanks! Once we get the pictures, we will post a lot of them!!

Congrats! We're also eating at California Grill on the evening of June 19 for our honeymoon. We'll see you there!! :) That's the first day of our trip and thought it'd be a nice place to start! Hope the rest of your planning goes well!

That's so exciting, Cali Grill is a great place to start!! Have you and your Future Husband dined there before? Tom and I love it! If you see us, please say hi!! :wave:Best wishes with everything! :)

That is awesome. You should teach me how to do that!

Thanks John! I can teach you, it's quite easy. Tom taught me how to make it last week. The only thing is... you need Photoshop.
I wish you and Colleen were visiting the world around Christmas time this year. Is it possible you will go in Sept and Dec? Tom and I plan on vacationing in December and would love to see you two again.

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Thanks John! I can teach you, its quite easy. Tom taught me how to make it last week. The only thing is... you need photo shop.
I wish you and Colleen were visiting the world around Christmas time this year. Is it possible you will go in Sept and Dec? Tom and I plan on vacationing in December and would love to see you two again.

Speak for yourself, I have no desire to see John again.

Previously, when I posed the question regarding how long it took to get from International Gateway to the front entrance of EPCOT, I assumed a couple of things: 1) the International Gateway entrance is not open for Morning Extra Magic Hours, and 2) that there was a walkway outside of the park from the IG area to the front and that's how you'd be getting to the front.

I wasn't clear, and I think people's responses were predicated on entering through the IG and walking to the front of the park. Now, obviously if the IG entrance is open promptly at the start of morning EMH, question #2 is not relevant (because we'd only need that walkway if we can't enter through the IG). So, does anyone know the answer to this issue? Thanks!

mrerk

Premium Member

Previously, when I posed the question regarding how long it took to get from International Gateway to the front entrance of EPCOT, I assumed a couple of things: 1) the International Gateway entrance is not open for Morning Extra Magic Hours, and 2) that there was a walkway outside of the park from the IG area to the front and that's how you'd be getting to the front.

I wasn't clear, and I think people's responses were predicated on entering through the IG and walking to the front of the park. Now, obviously if the IG entrance is open promptly at the start of morning EMH, question #2 is not relevant (because we'd only need that walkway if we can't enter through the IG). So, does anyone know the answer to this issue? Thanks!

To answer your second question first, there is no walkway outside of the park from the IG to the front.

The IG does open at the same time as the front entrance. You will be directed through the UK and Canada to FW. You cannot turn right towards towards France.

tigerlaw

Unfortunately, the answer is "it depends". Supposedly lately they have been better about it in terms of letting us "epcot resort" people get up equal to those in the front of the park before rope drop. I will PM you over on the "other" board a link to a thread about this.

hope it helps!

WDWFigment

Original Poster
To answer your second question first, there is no walkway outside of the park from the IG to the front.

The IG does open at the same time as the front entrance. You will be directed through the UK and Canada to FW. You cannot turn right towards towards France.

Unfortunately, the answer is "it depends". Supposedly lately they have been better about it in terms of letting us "epcot resort" people get up equal to those in the front of the park before rope drop. I will PM you over on the "other" board a link to a thread about this.

hope it helps!

Thanks, this is very helpful. I don't know why I was under the impression that the IG entrance did not open at the same time as the front entrance during morning EMH. I am not so concerned with not being able to start near the fountain (although I see your point on the other board, TigerLaw), just with being able to get into the park without walking on the road or *gasp* paying for a taxi! :eek:

blackthidot

In the Parks
Yes

I just spit my drink out laughing...

Sarah we MIGHT possibly do that. IDK yet...Last year we went too quick after Sept and had to wait a long time and its been horrible...To go twice so fast we didn't even get a chance to miss it and then have to wait so long to go again...ugh!

mbisenius

That's so exciting, Cali Grill is a great place to start!! Have you and your Future Husband dined there before? Tom and I love it! If you see us, please say hi!! :wave:Best wishes with everything! :)

We will definitely say hi if we see you!! This is actually the first time either of us has planned to eat at California Grill as well as the first Disney trip together :)

I know I'm pathetically late to your restaurant inquiry for everyone, but I thought I should throw in my two cents since I, too, have followed your engagement and trip photos for a while. I'm not sure if you want additional suggestions for places to eat, but one of my favorite places is The Plaza Restaurant at MK. It's small with few seats and a very limited menu, but I just love eating there and looking out all the windows at the castle. And we always enjoy sitting outside the restaurant under the yellow umbrellas while we wait for our names to be called.

The Sci-Fi is one of our favorites. My hubby and I always split a burger and each get shakes and we've never been disappointed. You gotta do it once--which you've already figured out.

Best of luck in the coming days and have a safe and happy honeymoon!

emh1960

Have to agree strongly with charatjennings, don't miss The Plaza.
Delicious sandwiches, salads, and ice cream, impeccable service, and such a charming atmosphere. Perfect spot for a sweet honeymoon memory. And, don't think you can walk in, it is always crowded. Make an ADR!
It is kind of our best kept secret in WDW, don't tell too many others.;)

WDWFigment

Original Poster
Watch your wallets though....Tom will try stealing your identities.

Probably not their identities, but after a meal at Cali Grill, I might need to steal something else just so we can pay for the experience!

I know I'm pathetically late to your restaurant inquiry for everyone, but I thought I should throw in my two cents since I, too, have followed your engagement and trip photos for a while. I'm not sure if you want additional suggestions for places to eat, but one of my favorite places is The Plaza Restaurant at MK. It's small with few seats and a very limited menu, but I just love eating there and looking out all the windows at the castle. And we always enjoy sitting outside the restaurant under the yellow umbrellas while we wait for our names to be called.

The Sci-Fi is one of our favorites. My hubby and I always split a burger and each get shakes and we've never been disappointed. You gotta do it once--which you've already figured out.

Best of luck in the coming days and have a safe and happy honeymoon!

Have to agree strongly with charatjennings, don't miss The Plaza.
Delicious sandwiches, salads, and ice cream, impeccable service, and such a charming atmosphere. Perfect spot for a sweet honeymoon memory. And, don't think you can walk in, it is always crowded. Make an ADR!
It is kind of our best kept secret in WDW, don't tell too many others.;)

Interesting, I've never heard many recommendations for the Plaza. I don't now recall why we've overlooked it in the past. Hmmm. Thanks for the suggestion, though! I think we have this trip's dining pretty well sorted out (I hope!), so maybe next trip. Especially if it's reasonably priced!

Sorry for the long absence, I've been very busy with finals (done!), graduation (done!), and bar review (...in progress...). Sarah has likewise been very busy in the final stages of wedding planning. This will probably be the second to last update.

First, graduation; I know it has nothing to do with the PTR, but here's a picture of us at my graduation from law school:

Second, and even more exciting, the DME tags came!!!

Finally, a couple of questions: I am normally averse to posting incremental trip reports. I know I have problems sifting through comments and/or remembering to check back into subsequent days of folks' trips (that aren't yet posted), and thus I've always written mine in full in word, and then posted the entire report at once. This is my overwhelming preference. However, for this trip, due to the Bar, there is absolutely no way I'd have the trip report done in full prior to mid-August. Thus, I am considering doing it incrementally just to get bits of it posted before then. What do you all prefer? Incrementally right away, or in full in August? Additionally, a lot of people have expressed "interest" (for lack of a better term) in our wedding. It in no way relates to Disney, but I am curious as to whether folks want to see details of that included in the TR? I would keep any portion of the report pertaining to the wedding itself very brief.

Suffice to say, with only a little over 2 weeks until our wedding and Disneymoon, Sarah and I are quite excited!

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
First off, congratulations on your graduation! :sohappy: (that's the closest thing I can find to applause) What a great achievement. Actually, you're packing an awful lot of milestones into a four-week period--what are you, an overachiever or something? :lol: I'm joking, of course; I have a lot of respect for hard workers.

I, for one, vote "yes, please" on the wedding pictures and info, and for the entire trip report in August. In fact, I think the wedding deserves its own report. :lol: (what can I say, I'm a girl, and girls love weddings!) And your trip reports don't deserve to be chopped up into little pieces.

corey154

Congrats to you on your graduation!! As a long time follower of your trip reports I am so happy for you both on everything going on in your lives!!! I can't believe it's all finally here!

My vote is YES to the wedding being a part of your trip report and as far as writing the report, whatever is easier for you. I love trip reports no matter how they're written. If we have to wait till August, then I hope we get some kind of update...I know we'll all be excited to see the pictures!!! But truely, we all respect how busy you are and you should write the trip report on whatever is better for you.

Take care and enjoy the ride of the next few weeks!!

nibblesandbits

So excited for you guys and congrats Tom for graduating Law School. Let Sarah know the last two weeks are torture (meaning lots to do, little time) but she'll get it done and what doesn't get done, won't matter, since all that matters is that you'll be getting married. It doesn't have to be perfect. :)

Hyacinth2805

Congrats to you on your graduation!! As a long time follower of your trip reports I am so happy for you both on everything going on in your lives!!! I can't believe it's all finally here!

My vote is YES to the wedding being a part of your trip report and as far as writing the report, whatever is easier for you. I love trip reports no matter how they're written. If we have to wait till August, then I hope we get some kind of update...I know we'll all be excited to see the pictures!!! But truely, we all respect how busy you are and you should write the trip report on whatever is better for you.

Take care and enjoy the ride of the next few weeks!!

Time sure flies, I cannot believe Tom and I are getting married in 11 days!
Thanks for your input regarding the TR, Tom will include highlights from our wedding. :)

So excited for you guys and congrats Tom for graduating Law School. Let Sarah know the last two weeks are torture (meaning lots to do, little time) but she'll get it done and what doesn't get done, won't matter, since all that matters is that you'll be getting married. It doesn't have to be perfect. :)

I'm getting a little worried everything won't get done. I have so much to do! :lookaroun Regardless, I'm SO excited!

First off, congratulations on your graduation! :sohappy: (that's the closest thing I can find to applause) What a great achievement. Actually, you're packing an awful lot of milestones into a four-week period--what are you, an overachiever or something? :lol: I'm joking, of course; I have a lot of respect for hard workers.

I, for one, vote "yes, please" on the wedding pictures and info, and for the entire trip report in August. In fact, I think the wedding deserves its own report. :lol: (what can I say, I'm a girl, and girls love weddings!) And your trip reports don't deserve to be chopped up into little pieces.

I love weddings too. As for the delivery of the TR, Tom's going to decide his posting method after our Disneymoon.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom